SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

• 1 month later...

Yup. Here's the USS North Dakota's coat of arms.

I say UND's new moniker is on here somewhere, either Rough Riders (pistol grips) or Reapers. What say you?

web_120824-N-ZZ999-002.jpg

PS - Bonus point to anyone who can tell me why one pistol is gold and one is silver.

PPS - Who first rolled out the idea of Reapers ... ;)

• Upvote 1

A 3rd discussed possible nickname is also included in the crest, not by name but by image.

"At the base of the arrowhead outline are two horse heads, representing the Nakota horses that roamed the prairies of North Dakota."

How about this: Rough Riders with the 2 pistols as a logo and instead of SSN 784 have it UND and 1883 (tomahawks questionable).

Yeah, I don't think the NC-double-a-holes will allow tomahawks or feathers in any logo for UND...

I like those mentioned in the posts right above. I still like Outlaws, because that's essentially what UND became. And I don't mind being the martyr.

You mean something along the lines of Dakota Outlaws, UND Outlaws or North Dakota Outlaws...

Its almost identical to Red River....no thanks.

I really don't think it's a big deal to use the same nickname and and updated/ cooler logo of Teddy Roosevelt as a local high school. I'm not sure people in Montana, California, Colorado, Utah, Ohio, and Michigan are going to make that connection. We would be the only Rough Riders in the NCAA and it would be our sole identity.

I really don't think it's a big deal to use the same nickname and and updated/ cooler logo of Teddy Roosevelt as a local high school. I'm not sure people in Montana, California, Colorado, Utah, Ohio, and Michigan are going to make that connection. We would be the only Rough Riders in the NCAA and it would be our sole identity.

I don't mind the nickname but when the logo is damn near identical to RR...as a Central Alumn I protest. ;)

It isn't the people around the country where the Rough Rider nickname would be a problem. If there is a group that would have problems with the name it would be local people or people that grew up in Grand Forks. Central alums like Darrell won't like it. And local people that pay attention to both high school and college sports may have a problem. If we didn't have Red River High School in the picture this would probably be my first choice. But I see a lot of push back by local people.
  • Upvote 2

That's not a good enough reason to pass on a unique nickname/logo that has strong historical ties to the state. If we can't be the Sioux, then we should be the Rough Riders with a badass logo that looks sick on a hockey jersey! I mean no disrespect to Central alums.

+1

What he said ^^^...to me this is a no- brainer. End of story!

Any other nickname IMO will be pathetic at best.

• Upvote 1

That's not a good enough reason to pass on a unique nickname/logo that has strong historical ties to the state. If we can't be the Sioux, then we should be the Rough Riders with a badass logo that looks sick on a hockey jersey! I mean no disrespect to Central alums.

Sorry, but the Central alums and other locals make up a significant number of UND alums, a significant number of UND donors and a significant number of season ticket holders. I don't know how many would have a problem with the nickname, but those people are going to be taken into consideration. Just because you said you mean no disrespect doesn't mean that you didn't just disrespect them and their opinions. Why should your opinion mean any more than theirs, especially families that have had connections to Grand Forks and UND much longer than someone that just showed up at UND in the last couple of years?