SiouxSports.com Forum

New Nickname

ShilohSioux

319 members have voted

1. 1. What name should replace "Fighting Sioux" after it's retired?

• Aviators or Pilots
    • Cavalry
    • Nodaks
    • Nokotas
    • Norse, Nordics, Fighting Norsemen
    • Outlaws
    • Plainsmen
    • Rangers
    • Rough Riders
    • Other

I am quite certain the pep band was told they could no longer wear Fighting Sioux clothing - even the guy that runs the flag around the field during games was told that he could no longer wear Sioux clothing because he is a representative of the school. I agree that there are some who have stopped wearing it but most of them are the very close to UND adminstration (friends of the big guys) - but I also know there are lots of big donors who continue to wear Sioux clothing and will continue to wear it. 

You are correct, I know for a fact the band is not allowed to wear anything with a sioux logo on it.

You are correct, I know for a fact the band is not allowed to wear anything with a sioux logo on it.

Well yah.  The hockey team can't so why would the band be allowed to?  

The hockey team completely renovated their entire locker room and meeting area with the interlocking ND symbol everywhere.  Should show some people on here how to move on.  

Those did all they could.

They certainly did! 

They pretty much ignored the tribes until the NCAA pushed the issue and then went begging for a favor.  After beggin for a favor, they complained the favor wasn't being acted on fast enough.  When one tribe acted on it in the affirmative, they said thanks, but we think we need to drop the name anyway so we can get into the Summit League, but then joined the Big Sky instead. Then 18 months into a 3 year timeline,  they decided to move up the deadline for dropping the name up by a whole year.  Then when Spirit Lake objected they told them to pound sand because they have no standing in the issue.  I don't know what more they could have done!  Handled the whole situation brilliantly.

(edited to add a missing word)

Can only speak for myself:

I have not worn the logo or spoken that word to reference UND Athletics since it was retired.

I have a $400 Brien logo leather jacket that is just taking up space on a hanger.

Why? We asked two neighbors for simple help. They didn't come through for me. Ignore me? Ignore you. Meh. So much for them.

Want to sell ur stuff ?

You're right. I accidentally wrote "actually" instead of "acting" on an internet message board. Thank you for taking the time to point that out, and keep up the good work!

While there may be better options, when it comes to North Dakota history, there is nothing inaccurate about honoring Teddy Roosevelt. Nothing at all.

Glad I could help.

If you want to honor teddy Roosevelt, fine. But try finding something that relates to North Dakota, to honor him with. You've got about 11 hours to come up with something.

a man who was from New York, spent a small fraction of his life in North Dakota, said he liked it here, led a cavalry from an entirely different area of the country....that is how we arrive at a nickname for North Dakota? Really? The tangential leap involved is just too much for me. Just my own, un-obtuse opinion.

• Downvote 1

The Riders gathered in the southwest, but North Dakota cowboys (e.g. Jesse Langdon*) were in the group. "They gathered a diverse bunch of men consisting of cowboys, gold or mining prospectors, hunters, gamblers, Native Americans and college boys; all of whom were able-bodied and capable on horseback and in shooting."

If they didn't take anybody from anywhere who met their needs, how'd a Harvard educated New Yorker end up as a colonel in the unit?

*Roosevelt made sure Langdon got into the unit. "Langdon, born 1881 in what is now North Dakota, "hoboed" his way to Washington, D.C., and called on Roosevelt at the Navy Department, reminding him that his father, a veterinarian, had treated Roosevelt's cattle at his Dakota ranch during his ranching days. Roosevelt arranged a railroad ticket for him to San Antonio, where Langdon enlisted in the Rough Riders at age 16. He was the last surviving member of the regiment and the only one to attend the final two reunions, in 1967 and 1968. He died June 29, 1975 at the age of 94, ..."

Glad I could help.

If you want to honor teddy Roosevelt, fine. But try finding something that relates to North Dakota, to honor him with. You've got about 11 hours to come up with something.

a man who was from New York, spent a small fraction of his life in North Dakota, said he liked it here, led a cavalry from an entirely different area of the country....that is how we arrive at a nickname for North Dakota? Really? The tangential leap involved is just too much for me. Just my own, un-obtuse opinion.

Holy cow, Mr. Buzzkill.  God forbid a North Dakota team is nicknamed after something related to Teddy Roosevelt.  You hate "Roughriders", we get it.  But if you think the Grand Forks school district was so foolish to use "Roughriders" as a nickname for athletic competition in North Dakota, as you implied earlier, I would love to hear what you have to say about the school districts that created the Central Knights, Fargo North Spartans, Bismarck Demons, Dickinson Midgets, and pretty much every other high school in North Dakota.

• Upvote 3

New nickname or no nickname, the Fighting Sioux ain't goin' anywhere! 

We're kidding ourselves if we actually think that the adoption of a new nickname will result in Fighting Sioux fans putting away their Fighting Sioux gear or not referring to UND athletics as the Fighting Sioux.

I don't think it's us that's kidding ourselves.  UND is not the first team to switch from an Indian mascot/nickname to a new one.

Four most of us may be familiar with include Quinnipiac (formerly the Braves), Colgate (formerly the Red Raiders), Miami of Ohio (formerly the Redskins) and even Dickinson St. (formerly the Savages).

Google pictures of their fans.  Pretty hard to find the old mascot (there are always a couple here and there).

Posters who say the Fighting Sioux jerseys and logos will disappear are right.  It'll take time, but 20 years from now you'll look around the stands and see no more than a handful, tops.

Well yah.  The hockey team can't so why would the band be allowed to?  

The hockey team completely renovated their entire locker room and meeting area with the interlocking ND symbol everywhere.  Should show some people on here how to move on.  

Dear Readers:

The above post is completely disingenuous.  Engelstad Arena renovated its locker room and meeting area to provide better facilities to its student-athletes and to obtain a recruiting advantage.  UND did not renovate its locker room and meeting area for the purpose of switching to the interlocking ND symbol.  The ND symbol is merely the consequence of UND retiring "Fighting Sioux" because of NCAA sanctions.  So unlike UND and Engelstad Arena, the NCAA cannot sanction us fans for wearing Fighting Sioux gear.

Sincerely,

The Truth

I don't think it's us that's kidding ourselves.  UND is not the first team to switch from an Indian mascot/nickname to a new one.

Four most of us may be familiar with include Quinnipiac (formerly the Braves), Colgate (formerly the Red Raiders), Miami of Ohio (formerly the Redskins) and even Dickinson St. (formerly the Savages).

Google pictures of their fans.  Pretty hard to find the old mascot (there are always a couple here and there).

Posters who say the Fighting Sioux jerseys and logos will disappear are right.  It'll take time, but 20 years from now you'll look around the stands and see no more than a handful, tops.

I agree with most of what you say.  But I think Sioux fans, and particularly ones from Grand Forks, are a different animal, so to speak. 

This is just me speculating and guessing, but I am not aware of another nickname change that has caused anywhere close to the type of uproar/fighting/emotion/name calling/posturing/hurt feelings/etc. as I have seen with the University of North Dakota.

UND did not renovate its locker room and meeting area for the purpose of switching to the interlocking ND symbol. 

Where was it stated that the above was the reasoning?  Clearly the advantage of having renovated facilities outweighed the option of leaving up the retired logo in the majority of places and keeping the same facilities.  There is obviously a group of people who wouldn't have made that decision, they would rather resist change even if it means harming the University, athletic department and student athletes.

Dear Readers:

The above post is completely disingenuous.  Engelstad Arena renovated its locker room and meeting area to provide better facilities to its student-athletes and to obtain a recruiting advantage.  UND did not renovate its locker room and meeting area for the purpose of switching to the interlocking ND symbol.  The ND symbol is merely the consequence of UND retiring "Fighting Sioux" because of NCAA sanctions.  So unlike UND and Engelstad Arena, the NCAA cannot sanction us fans for wearing Fighting Sioux gear.

Sincerely,

The Truth

They switched ALL branding to the interlocking ND symbol, spending millions of $$$ in the process.  The team all the hockey fans love so dearly has made it quite clear they are fine with the decision to move on.  

They switched ALL branding to the interlocking ND symbol, spending millions of $$$ in the process.  The team all the hockey fans love so dearly has made it quite clear they are fine with the decision to move on.

Really?  Did you happen to see what Pattyn wrote to the fans after his Sioux career was over?  Last I checked, he was part of that team, and didn't sound "fine" with the decision to move on.

• Upvote 1

Can't change old jerseys-ancient history.  Got any more pics?

So I completely proved you wrong by citing to an actual source, and your only response is, do you have another source?  Nice job, buddy.  But since you asked:

northdakotafeatured-640x427.jpg

But why are you dodging the real issue?  That is, you claim that UND spent millions of dollars changing "ALL" the logos to the interlocking ND when, in fact, some of that money was spent on the Fighting Sioux logo.  It seems pretty strange that the hockey team we "love so dearly" would pay money to put up all these new Fighting Sioux logos if the team, as you wrongly assert, "made it quite clear they are fine with the decision to move on" from the Fighting Sioux logo.

So I completely proved you wrong by citing to an actual source, and your only response is, do you have another source?  Nice job, buddy.  But since you asked:

northdakotafeatured-640x427.jpg

But why are you dodging the real issue?  That is, you claim that UND spent millions of dollars changing "ALL" the logos to the interlocking ND when, in fact, some of that money was spent on the Fighting Sioux logo.  It seems pretty strange that the hockey team we "love so dearly" would pay money to put up all these new Fighting Sioux logos if the team, as you wrongly assert, "made it quite clear they are fine with the decision to move on" from the Fighting Sioux logo.

Once again - history.  They can't change history and are proud of it (see the word "tradition" in that picture?).  

So another historical reference?  Those are going to be the same regardless of what UND's nickname and logo is in the future. 

Keeping the hockey team from being at a disadvantage (with facilities/amenities) was more important to the staff than holding onto retired logos.  Not sure why a group of "supporters" is so hell-bent on trying to put the athletic department at a disadvantage by not letting go.

UND did not renovate its locker room and meeting area for the purpose of switching to the interlocking ND symbol. 

I'm thinking some of those changed because of Section 2.f (and Schedule A) of the Settlement Agreement.

But, the old logo had to go from some of those spaces per the agreement. And, since there's nothing new, like a new nickname and logo, to fill the void the interlocking "ND" is all they had other than a big old VOID (which is what we do have). 

Once again - history.  They can't change history and are proud of it (see the word "tradition" in that picture?).  

You don't need to keep backtracking, no one will blame you when you admit you're wrong.

You: they spent millions on new logos!  Reality: they spent millions on locker room renovations including preserving the Fighting Sioux nickname.  You:  they clearly moved on from the Fighting Sioux!  Reality: they spent millions on locker room renovations including preserving the Fighting Sioux nickname.

• Downvote 1

So another historical reference?  Those are going to be the same regardless of what UND's nickname and logo is in the future. 

Keeping the hockey team from being at a disadvantage (with facilities/amenities) was more important to the staff than holding onto retired logos.  Not sure why a group of "supporters" is so hell-bent on trying to put the athletic department at a disadvantage by not letting go.

I agree with everything you said. My two points were simply that (1) not "ALL" the locker room renovations went to putting up new logos (as someone falsely alleged earlier), but also to preserving/commemorating the Fighting Sioux nickname; and (2) the hockey team clearly has not moved on from the Fighting Sioux nickname as evidenced by preserving/commemorating the Fighting Sioux logo, and by the statements of pretty much every UND hockey player.

You don't need to keep backtracking, no one will blame you when you admit you're wrong.

You: they spent millions on new logos!  Reality: they spent millions on locker room renovations including preserving the Fighting Sioux nickname.  You:  they clearly moved on from the Fighting Sioux!  Reality: they spent millions on locker room renovations including preserving the Fighting Sioux nickname.

That is true, they did spend money on the preservation commemorating of the old logo in pictures.  You are correct.