SiouxSports.com Forum

Dakota 4 through 3 years of FCS play

darell1976

What about Nielson at Minnesota Duluth?

This may be a long shot but what about Roger Thomas??

I know it's just guys talking on the internet, but could we give Muss a chance before we start throwing out names?

I haven't been thrilled with everything he's said or done, but he's been in a tough spot. Plus, until the Big Sky invite, there would have been absolutely no other quality coaches that would have been interested.

Now he's got a great conference to sell and playoff eligibility coming up. As long as there are no major debacles and steady progress from this point on, I don't think Faison would even think about a change. By the middle of the 2012 season, I think his future will be pretty evident, one way or the other.

This may be a long shot but what about Roger Thomas?? I know he was unpopular during the decision to go to DI but look what he did with the Sioux from 1986-1993 we went from the bottom to the top and beat the Bison.

No way on RT. You cannot go back in life and I do not think he has the appetite or energy it takes to run a D1 program. Re Nielson, great coach, had success at Eau Claire and now at Duluth. Only question is how much did the Bubba Schweigert legacy there help him and the super running back from Rochester? is really a D1 kid that got overlooked somehow. As AD, Nielson has a great situation and may not want to leave. That said I am not ready to throw Muss under the bus yet. I suspect he has learned some real lessons the last couple of years, notably in game preparation. If he has another embarrassing game this next year then we can speculate more about a replacement.

I know it's just guys talking on the internet, but could we give Muss a chance before we start throwing out names?

I haven't been thrilled with everything he's said or done, but he's been in a tough spot. Plus, until the Big Sky invite, there would have been absolutely no other quality coaches that would have been interested.

Now he's got a great conference to sell and playoff eligibility coming up. As long as there are no major debacles and steady progress from this point on, I don't think Faison would even think about a change. By the middle of the 2012 season, I think his future will be pretty evident, one way or the other.

A good start would be to put a beatdown on Sioux Falls College this year. I am long past tired of hearing the Sioux Falls faithful bring that game up again and again. If they were to win again this year, it would be unbearable.

PS Since it looks like this might be the last year we play in football for at least the near term future, lets play for the Sitting Bull trophy again.

A good start would be to put a beatdown on Sioux Falls College this year. I am long past tired of hearing the Sioux Falls faithful bring that game up again and again. If they were to win again this year, it would be unbearable.

PS Since it looks like this might be the last year we play in football for at least the near term future, lets play for the Sitting Bull trophy again.

You mean Bison fans. And as for the Sitting Bull Trophy, no need to play for it since it won't leave Grand Forks. ;)

In 3 years of "transition", the football team has had a winning record two of three years and beaten the #16 team in the nation, the women's basketball team has won a conference title, the men's basketball team has won a conference tournament title and played in the post-season, the volleyball program has won two conference titles, and the softball program has won a conference title.

Failure?......................hardly..........

:silly:

Really that's what you're hanging your hat on?? A few GWC titles against the worst of the worst. Until you actually beat someone in ANY sport and start doing it regularly - your first year in the BSC will be no fun. ;)

Agreed. However, he's also got that whole "no home playoff game" nickname-related cloud hanging over his head. Who knows how that will work out?

I thought Muss said recruits don't care about being able to host a playoff game. I think he said last year that conference affiliation wasn't a concern for the recruits either. Therefore being in the BSC and not being able to host playoff games shouldn't have a positive or negative effect on his recruiting at all.

Really that's what you're hanging your hat on?? A few GWC titles against the worst of the worst. Until you actually beat someone in ANY sport and start doing it regularly - your first year in the BSC will be no fun. ;)

I always appreciate you interest in Fighting Sioux athletics Dan. And since you pay so close attention to what goes on here and always have an opinion than you should know how much our teams have improved over the transition. Has it always been pretty? No it hasn't. I guess I would be concerned if we weren't beating these worst of the worst teams. That hasn't been the case. We have been beating those teams and than some and improvement has been happening. Now with a nice conference, arguably the most impressive schedules of all the Dakota schools, and a lot of youth that has gained a lot of experience the last couple of years, things are headed in the right direction.

I always appreciate you interest in Fighting Sioux athletics Dan. And since you pay so close attention to what goes on here and always have an opinion than you should know how much our teams have improved over the transition. Has it always been pretty? No it hasn't. I guess I would be concerned if we weren't beating these worst of the worst teams. That hasn't been the case. We have been beating those teams and than some and improvement has been happening. Now with a nice conference, arguably the most impressive schedules of all the Dakota schools, and a lot of youth that has gained a lot of experience the last couple of years, things are headed in the right direction.

Arguably is right. You can't say the BSC is tougher than the MVC/Summit. Pretty much the same, although BSC usually has at least one really good football team, this year two teams, and a lot of bottom dwellers. MVC usually has several good teams, maybe one or two really good ones. Summit is rated higher in basketball right now, but that can change in a heartbeat. But in all sports, NDSU can say that they probably had a better transition than UND is having, or at this point can even hope to have. It should be noted however, that NDSU did get lucky and had their best basketball team ever by far, and landed a ton of great recruits for football somehow just as the transition was starting up.

Arguably is right. You can't say the BSC is tougher than the MVC/Summit. Pretty much the same, although BSC usually has at least one really good football team, this year two teams, and a lot of bottom dwellers. MVC usually has several good teams, maybe one or two really good ones. Summit is rated higher in basketball right now, but that can change in a heartbeat. But in all sports, NDSU can say that they probably had a better transition than UND is having, or at this point can even hope to have. It should be noted however, that NDSU did get lucky and had their best basketball team ever by far, and landed a ton of great recruits for football somehow just as the transition was starting up.

How many conference titles did NDSU win during their transition and how many has the Sioux won. Thats really the only way to compare the two. And since its just the GWFC, and GWC...who cares.

How many conference titles did NDSU win during their transition and how many has the Sioux won. Thats really the only way to compare the two. And since its just the GWFC, and GWC...who cares.

The Great West was a bit different then. SDSU was there, we were there. And in a conference with 5 teams or whatever it was, we scheduled several FBS teams and did pretty dang good against them. I think we are 4-2 now against FBS, during our transition we were 3-1 I believe. I don't care about winning conference titles when it is not getting you into the playoffs, I care more about the product on the field. Tell me, is UND going to finish with the #1 National Ranking in one of the next couple years?

The Great West was a bit different then. SDSU was there, we were there. And in a conference with 5 teams or whatever it was, we scheduled several FBS teams and did pretty dang good against them. I think we are 4-2 now against FBS, during our transition we were 3-1 I believe. I don't care about winning conference titles when it is not getting you into the playoffs, I care more about the product on the field. Tell me, is UND going to finish with the #1 National Ranking in one of the next couple years?

What year did NDSU finish with the #1 ranking?

Well ndsu must think its a big deal because they gave out conference championship rings to the team that won the Great West. They made kind of a big deal about it.

How many times did NDSU get into the FCS playoffs after their transition ended in 2007.....once 2010!!!!! And barely made it in the playoffs. No MVFC titles. Their only highlight has been "the dance". I will give them that, but since then their bball team hasn't done jack sh-t.

BTW NDSU is 4-3 against FBS teams with the worst FBS SOS among the 4 Dakota teams...with UND playing the toughest FBS teams.

How many times did NDSU get into the FCS playoffs after their transition ended in 2007.....once 2010!!!!! And barely made it in the playoffs. No MVFC titles. Their only highlight has been "the dance". I will give them that, but since then their bball team hasn't done jack sh-t.

BTW NDSU is 4-3 against FBS teams with the worst FBS SOS among the 4 Dakota teams...with UND playing the toughest FBS teams.

Only 1 highlight? VB team has made the NCAA tournament 2 times - Softball - 3 times once making to the Super Regional - Soccer once - with many track and field athletes going. 4-3 against FBS still better than what 0-3? This year everyone of our fall sports made the NCAA post season tournament - the only FCS school to do it.

So which of your sports will win the BSC and go to the NCAA tournament?

Only 1 highlight? VB team has made the NCAA tournament 2 times - Softball - 3 times once making to the Super Regional - Soccer once - with many track and field athletes going. 4-3 against FBS still better than what 0-3? This year everyone of our fall sports made the NCAA post season tournament - the only FCS school to do it.

Kinda hard to do that Bison Dan when we are not even in the BSC yet. We will get back to you next year when we become playoff eligible and members of the Big Sky.

You guys do realize you are arguing with a teenager and making yourselves sound like one also......right???

Well ndsu must think its a big deal because they gave out conference championship rings to the team that won the Great West. They made kind of a big deal about it.

I do not speak for NDSU, I speak for myself. And if your team wins a conference title in football, and you finish super high ranked, what else can you do I guess. Remember, the fans and the school are seperate entities.

I do not speak for NDSU, I speak for myself. And if your team wins a conference title in football, and you finish super high ranked, what else can you do I guess. Remember, the fans and the school are seperate entities.

Wow, thank you for explaining that. That clears a lot up. :lol::lol:

So basically in your opinion, the transition period of the reclassification process is regarded as a failure unless during that transition the reclassifying school defeats a high-major program or FBS football playing school in one of the revenue sports................

NDSU had a very positive transition experience and I give them credit. They are competetive in numerous sports in the Summit League and that is great.

But on the other hand I hope when North Dakota is 4 years removed from the transition, I hope that I don't have to continually cruise internet message boards and tout my favorite schools accomplishments during the transition so I can feel better about the 10-14 record that our football program has posted in conference play since the transition ended...................

While it would be alot of fun to beat an FBS program or high major men's basketball program so we could go to Bisonville to thump our chest and pat ourselves on the back, it is not a likely a scenario for any transitioning program.

Although "a few GWC titles" are not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, I'll still argue that North Dakota has done some positive things during the transition including turning around a dismal volleyball program, turning around a dismal men's basketball program, and securing conference affiliation.

Since you insist on speculating what may happen two years from now, to answer your question, IMO based on last season's results, I would say that volleball and men's basketball would have the best chance to compete for Big Sky titles when we join assuming that those programs continue to progress as they have.................

• Upvote 2