SiouxSports.com Forum

POLL: Should UND-NDSU Resume the Football Series?

ShilohSioux

220 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND and NDSU Resume the Football Series?

• Yes, play the game annually
    • On occassion, but not annually
    • No, we've gone our separate ways so let's focus on building new rivalries

You didn't like what was being said so you lobbed out a shot at UND. NDSU fans say they don't want to play UND because they want to play quality out of conference opponents. Someone points out that NDSU has not been able to schedule very many quality out of conference opponents at home and you throw out Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls has nothing to do with any out of conference opponents that NDSU has scheduled, and everyone on this board knows that UND has scheduled several non-DI opponents during the transition and even has 1 scheduled for this year. You were just taking a shot at UND to deflect from the conversation about NDSU scheduling.

My God, you're comparing NDSU schedulling to yours? You are high?

No one ever claimed that a UND game would be bigger than a National semi-final game at home. What was being pointed out is the OOC games that are on your schedule from the past few years and in the future. Playoffs is a completely differenct thing. A National semi0final game is bigger than any home game you would schedule. But you can't tell me that there would be a regular season game that would be more anticipated than UND. Please Johnboy, provide me a list of teams that would be more anticipated, hyped up, talked about, whatever..more than UND. Thanks

No one ever claimed that a UND game would be bigger than a National semi-final game at home. What was being pointed out is the OOC games that are on your schedule from the past few years and in the future. Playoffs is a completely differenct thing. A National semi0final game is bigger than any home game you would schedule. But you can't tell me that there would be a regular season game that would be more anticipated than UND. Please Johnboy, provide me a list of teams that would be more anticipated, hyped up, talked about, whatever..more than UND. Thanks

Siouxperfan7, on 31 May 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

How many hours before the game starts do NDSU studesnts stand in line for games no agianst the teams you play....a few hours? How many hours did the students stand in line for the last Sioux/Bison game in 2002 at the dome? Pretty sure is was at least 6 hours...or more!!! Don't tell me that there is no interest for this game or that other games have greater interest to Bison fans. You can't honestly believe that.

Playoffs are other games. So yes, you are the one who said it. I didn't say people get excited for other regular season games more. I think it would be very hyped up and talked about being of the proximity and history the schools share. It wouldn't be hyped up for the quality of football UND has been playing thats for sure ;)

Playoffs are other games. So yes, you are the one who said it. I didn't say people get excited for other regular season games more. I think it would be very hyped up and talked about being of the proximity and history the schools share. It wouldn't be hyped up for the quality of football UND has been playing thats for sure ;)

Ok, sorry I meant regular season games. Yeah yeah, you have the right to brag. The Bison are the defending champs and we are 11-11 over the last two years. But remember, NDSU was 3-8 just 2 short years ago. So teams can go from a bottom dweller to a Playoff contender or a National Champion very quickly. NDSU is not the only school in the country that can turn a 3-8 season to a National Championship. We will be there with you in the playoffs sooner than Bison fans want to admit it.

My God, you're comparing NDSU schedulling to yours? You are high?

Where did you get that? I said that someone was talking about NDSU scheduling of OOC games and you tried to deflect the conversation by bringing up Sioux Falls. I even said that we knew the issues with UND scheduling through the transition and including the game this fall. But you were trying to deflect the conversation away from NDSU scheduling and away from a UND-NDSU game by talking about UND issues. You were the one trying to compare scheduling.

I imagine NDSU is aware it would make more money. Maybe instead of claiming they are so stupid for "thinking people wouldn't pay more," you could accept it that they more than likely are aware a lot of places do it and that it makes more money. Maybe NDSU just doesn't feel it is fair to charge more for one game than another? Whatever the reason is, thats fine with me. Most people don't care.

Don't claim that a UND game would be bigger than the playoffs. Dome in the playoffs last year was exceptional.

You still butthurt that Marcus Williams said Sioux Suck? You still butthurt that some NDSU fans yelled Sioux Suck as one of the chants they have done since they were in college? Quit crying. Some Bison fans are going to say it until the day they die, just like Texas-Texas A&M fans are going to trash the other school now even though they aren't playing anymore.

The only place you ever hear them in the student section. It is generally a group of about 25 people. I really don't know where you guys get this information that "OmG!!!! BIsOn FANS aRE sayING SiOUX SUCK!!!! A TON OF THEM!!!!" Typically some drunk kid tries to start it and then gets shut down.

You really need to consistently be able to sell out a specific game, or know that the demand will be there to sell out the game, before you can add premium pricing. Are there specific games that NDSU has sold out? If not, that may be the real reason that NDSU hasn't implemented a premium pricing plan.

Is NDSU now allowed to put playoff games on their regular schedule? Is NDSU allowed to sell tickets for playoff games before the season starts? That is the real difference between the situations. Having the UND game on the schedule allows for much more publicity, much more build up, a lot more build up of demand for tickets. Totally different situation than a playoff game. Plus, playoff games would have high demand for tickets by NDSU fans, while the ticket base would be broader for a UND-NDSU game.

People are amused by the Sioux Sucks chant rather than hurt. NDSU and the fans keeps making such a huge point of being "over" UND and not wanting anything to do with UND. Yet the chant keeps coming up at regular season games, at playoff games, at celebrations for a National title (that didn't involve UND at all), even at private events where NDSU students or alums gather such as weddings. That rarely if ever happens at UND games or gatherings unless NDSU is involved with the game. That's why UND fans are amused by the constant assurances that NDSU is "over" UND.

You really need to consistently be able to sell out a specific game, or know that the demand will be there to sell out the game, before you can add premium pricing. Are there specific games that NDSU has sold out? If not, that may be the real reason that NDSU hasn't implemented a premium pricing plan.

Is NDSU now allowed to put playoff games on their regular schedule? Is NDSU allowed to sell tickets for playoff games before the season starts? That is the real difference between the situations. Having the UND game on the schedule allows for much more publicity, much more build up, a lot more build up of demand for tickets. Totally different situation than a playoff game. Plus, playoff games would have high demand for tickets by NDSU fans, while the ticket base would be broader for a UND-NDSU game.

People are amused by the Sioux Sucks chant rather than hurt. NDSU and the fans keeps making such a huge point of being "over" UND and not wanting anything to do with UND. Yet the chant keeps coming up at regular season games, at playoff games, at celebrations for a National title (that didn't involve UND at all), even at private events where NDSU students or alums gather such as weddings. That rarely if ever happens at UND games or gatherings unless NDSU is involved with the game. That's why UND fans are amused by the constant assurances that NDSU is "over" UND.

When I attended the NDSU-WIU game a few years back I thought it was hilarious here i was at a game watching the Bison play the Leathernecks and hearing Sioux suck by Bison fans (not a ton) but loud enough that I can here it plain as day across the dome. I am sure Leatherneck fans thought...what idiots they have here in Fargo chanting for a team that isn't even playing. I am sure Viking fans chant Packers suck when Minnesota plays Denver.

When I attended the NDSU-WIU game a few years back I thought it was hilarious here i was at a game watching the Bison play the Leathernecks and hearing Sioux suck by Bison fans (not a ton) but loud enough that I can here it plain as day across the dome. I am sure Leatherneck fans thought...what idiots they have here in Fargo chanting for a team that isn't even playing. I am sure Viking fans chant Packers suck when Minnesota plays Denver.

Well the past couple years I haven't really heard it. Its dying. Do you think people that Texas are playing get mad when they sing their fight song that has references to being better than Texas A&M?

You know, I hear this all the time from you guys. I don't know too many people that claim NDSU is "over" UND. Lakes and his sort of people, yeah. But your typical Bison fan is not going to claim anything other than we don't need to play a game. In that case, NDSU and UND are over one another, but the old habits die hard. What is wrong with a bunch of alums doing a chant for fun? I didn't hear it at the playoff games, you hear little groups do the "Here we go Bison, here we go! SIOUX SUCK!" from time to time, but that is getting phased out as well by the Lets Go Bison chant. That is fine that it doesn't happen at UND games. I am not aware of any fun anti-NDSU chants that UND ever had, I'm sure there are some but Bison is a harder word to work with in a chant.

Before MSU and UM look at the OOC home games of NDSU...since playoff eligible: Austin Peay, Central Conn St, Wagner, Morgan State, South Dakota (funny how that got scheduled before UND), Lafayette, St. Francis. Future OOC home games from 2012: Robert Morris, Prairie View A&M, Montana State, Western Carolina, and Montana. Only USD, Montana, and MSU are home and homes. Such cupcakes on that list (except USD, and the Montana's) and they don't want to play UND. I guess they see UND as not a cupcake but an actual tough opponent that could beat them. Note to Brian Faison....NDSU will only schedule winnable games at home. UND is not winnable.

First of all, by saying "NDSU will only schedule winnable games at home", you are either implying that 1) UND offered to play a single game in Fargo like the "cupcakes" (Robert Morris, Prairie View A&M, Western Carolina, etc.) and NDSU turned it down; or 2) UND is better than the Montana's and USD because NDSU did schedule a home and home against them. I think we can all agree that option 1 never occurred; therefore, you must be implying that UND is better than the Montana's and USD. Interesting.

Second, this thread is going to go nowhere. In general, it appears that the UND fans want a home and home, and the NDSU fans don't (or don't care one way or the other). No matter what either side says, no one is going to convince the other side of anything different. If the game gets scheduled in the regular season, fine. If not, it will happen sooner or later in the playoffs. Although I don't believe UND is the caliber of team that the Montana's are yet (NDSU even has some work to do to show they aren't just another team to win a NC and drop off the map), UND will make the playoffs sooner or later, and the two teams will eventually meet. I think we can all agree that when that time comes, it will be a great game.

• Upvote 1

UND will make the playoffs sooner or later, and the two teams will eventually meet. I think we can all agree that when that time comes, it will be a great game.

Yep, just a matter of time.

You still butthurt that Marcus Williams said Sioux Suck? You still butthurt that some NDSU fans yelled Sioux Suck as one of the chants they have done since they were in college? Quit crying. Some Bison fans are going to say it until the day they die, just like Texas-Texas A&M fans are going to trash the other school now even though they aren't playing anymore.

You have to look at what Texas and A&M will be like 10 years from now to make your compairson work. I guess I don't know what conference either team will be in at that time but if thats what it takes for you to justify that UND was clearly on the minds of ndsu players and fans after their nat'l championship, so be it.

First of all, by saying "NDSU will only schedule winnable games at home", you are either implying that 1) UND offered to play a single game in Fargo like the "cupcakes" (Robert Morris, Prairie View A&M, Western Carolina, etc.) and NDSU turned it down; or 2) UND is better than the Montana's and USD because NDSU did schedule a home and home against them. I think we can all agree that option 1 never occurred; therefore, you must be implying that UND is better than the Montana's and USD. Interesting.

Second, this thread is going to go nowhere. In general, it appears that the UND fans want a home and home, and the NDSU fans don't (or don't care one way or the other). No matter what either side says, no one is going to convince the other side of anything different. If the game gets scheduled in the regular season, fine. If not, it will happen sooner or later in the playoffs. Although I don't believe UND is the caliber of team that the Montana's are yet (NDSU even has some work to do to show they aren't just another team to win a NC and drop off the map), UND will make the playoffs sooner or later, and the two teams will eventually meet. I think we can all agree that when that time comes, it will be a great game.

No I am not implying that UND is better than the Montana's (USD yes we are better than them and proved it last year). I am implying NDSU (mainly Gene Taylor) wants nothing to do with UND when it comes to football. Sour grapes since 2004..thats my guess. But I think he saw what UND has done to NDSU's other sports (basketball, volleyball and baseball) where UND has won. I think he doesn't want UND to start beating NDSU at their #1 sport and take potential recruits away from NDSU. UND has owned NDSU from the mid to late 90's through 2003. UND has lost what 3 games to them since 1993 including playoffs. That has to hurt. It would be the same if NDSU got a hockey team and beat UND right away. It would sting like never before. So I think as long as GT is AD...this game is just another topic for the message boards.

No I am not implying that UND is better than the Montana's (USD yes we are better than them and proved it last year). I am implying NDSU (mainly Gene Taylor) wants nothing to do with UND when it comes to football. Sour grapes since 2004..thats my guess. But I think he saw what UND has done to NDSU's other sports (basketball, volleyball and baseball) where UND has won. I think he doesn't want UND to start beating NDSU at their #1 sport and take potential recruits away from NDSU. UND has owned NDSU from the mid to late 90's through 2003. UND has lost what 3 games to them since 1993 including playoffs. That has to hurt. It would be the same if NDSU got a hockey team and beat UND right away. It would sting like never before. So I think as long as GT is AD...this game is just another topic for the message boards.

Well now that darell has said it won't happen it will. I've never seen anyone wrong so often in their posting than him except DaveK.

Well now that darell has said it won't happen it will. I've never seen anyone wrong so often in their posting than him except DaveK.

What am I wrong about? UND owning NDSU in football since 1993 or GT never signing this game as long as he is at NDSU. I know its not the first thing, as for the second part...you actually think he is going to sign the papers that Faison sent him. What are you smokin there on University Drive.

If Gene Taylor means what he says, it should. He asked for a home and home. That is the contract Faison has said he will send or already has sent to him. The question becomes why is GT already making comments about the University presidents probably needing to be involved. Pretty sure that isn't normal for negotiations. Is he already looking for an out now that Faison gave him what he wants? Not saying he is, but I'd be interested in hearing his explanation on it.

If Gene Taylor means what he says, it should. He asked for a home and home. That is the contract Faison has said he will send or already has sent to him. The question becomes why is GT already making comments about the University presidents probably needing to be involved. Pretty sure that isn't normal for negotiations. Is he already looking for an out now that Faison gave him what he wants? Not saying he is, but I'd be interested in hearing his explanation on it.

What I don't understand about the situation is why you guys are pushing so hard on this thing. If GT doesn't want to play the game, it is pretty obvious it isn't in NDSU's best interest to play the game at this point in history, so let it go. Many posters on this board have said UND doesn't need the game and I agree. It is pretty clear GT doesn't want the game, speculate on the reason all you want, but what is the obsession with getting this game on the schedule?

What I don't understand about the situation is why you guys are pushing so hard on this thing. If GT doesn't want to play the game, it is pretty obvious it isn't in NDSU's best interest to play the game at this point in history, so let it go. Many posters on this board have said UND doesn't need the game and I agree. It is pretty clear GT doesn't want the game, speculate on the reason all you want, but what is the obsession with getting this game on the schedule?

The game is good for the state, and there is plenty of interest across the state. The fact that Taylor keeps moving the goal posts isn't a guarantee that it isn't in NDSU's best interest. But it could indicate a more personal reason, such as he may be holding the same petty, childish grudge as many NDSU fans.

Its the whole why they don't want to play the game. Is it because of the 2004 incident? If that is the case that is such bull$%!#. That a guy would hold a grudge over a school who doesn't even have the people anymore that was involved. It was 8 years ago...get over it Taylor. Is he scared UND would beat the #1 team in the land therefore jeapordizing their playoff run...fine say that. Say we need wins so we are only going to schedule Cupcake A and Cupcake B.

The game is good for the state, and there is plenty of interest across the state. The fact that Taylor keeps moving the goal posts isn't a guarantee that it isn't in NDSU's best interest. But it could indicate a more personal reason, such as he may be holding the same petty, childish grudge as many NDSU fans.

Its the whole why they don't want to play the game. Is it because of the 2004 incident? If that is the case that is such bull$%!#. That a guy would hold a grudge over a school who doesn't even have the people anymore that was involved. It was 8 years ago...get over it Taylor. Is he scared UND would beat the #1 team in the land therefore jeapordizing their playoff run...fine say that. Say we need wins so we are only going to schedule Cupcake A and Cupcake B.

There has been no indication other than YOUR personal grudge to think that is the reason he isn't playing the game. It is purely your speculation.

If Gene Taylor didn't want the game why did he say he would only agree to a home and home?

And at this point, I do agree with you that either team doesn't absolutely need the game. But, it is a game that would excite both fan bases far beyond what any other regular season game would. And it continues to get tougher and more expensive to get OOC games with no return. If you are going to have to make it a home and home, why not do one where the fan bases can easily travel to?

There has been no indication other than YOUR personal grudge to think that is the reason he isn't playing the game. It is purely your speculation.

Of course I am speculating...just like Dom Izzo was when he went on the air a couple weeks ago saying the two could play in 2015 and 2017. But jdub27 is right...GT wanted an every other year scenario...Faison said there are 2 years at the earliest that would work. Why couldn't Taylor come out and say...Game on!! Is it money? Is it the nickname issue? Why isn't he signing the contract?

Of course I am speculating...just like Dom Izzo was when he went on the air a couple weeks ago saying the two could play in 2015 and 2017. But jdub27 is right...GT wanted an every other year scenario...Faison said there are 2 years at the earliest that would work. Why couldn't Taylor come out and say...Game on!! Is it money? Is it the nickname issue? Why isn't he signing the contract?

This. UND got bashed by everyone in Bisonville land when UND "stopped the rivalry" and imo, deservedly so. But at least UND explained why they didn't want to play the football game and that was due to playoff considerations. Again, in my opinion, it was a weak reason to and I wish they would have kept playing. But Gene Taylor has yet to give a reason as to why NDSU won't sign on. Faison has agreed to an every other year contract to at least begin with. If the contract is signed in the near future, then this is a moot point. But why doesn't Taylor come out and say why he won't sign a contract?

Do you only want a 2 year deal? He's trying to work details for a long term contract. The only one moving the goal posts is Faison. You could have had a every other year contract a couple of years ago. Remember Mussman and Faison stating that only an every year contract would do? Both knew that was a non starter.

Do you only want a 2 year deal? He's trying to work details for a long term contract. The only one moving the goal posts is Faison. You could have had a every other year contract a couple of years ago. Remember Mussman and Faison stating that only an every year contract would do? Both knew that was a non starter.

Where was this said?? Did Taylor say I won't sign this because I want a long term contract.