SiouxSports.com Forum

Major Altru announcement

GrandForksGuy

Word is that a major announcement will be made on Monday about Altru Health System. I can't verify any of this but this is what I am hearing....Mayo is buying Altru. I'm not sure what that really even means, but that is what I'm told. Also, Altru will be introducing a new variation on its logo. I'm surprised that supposedly Sanford Health isn't involved with any of this.

BTW, what is up with that Aurora Hospital? Can we safely assume that it just isn't going to open for the foreseeable future? An unused hospital building that cost millions of dollars...what a waste...

• Upvote 1

Word is that a major announcement will be made on Monday about Altru Health System. I can't verify any of this but this is what I am hearing....Mayo is buying Altru. I'm not sure what that really even means, but that is what I'm told. Also, Altru will be introducing a new variation on its logo. I'm surprised that supposedly Sanford Health isn't involved with any of this.

If Mayo is buying Altru, that could really shake up the medical side of things in the Valley. Sanford looked to be on its way to a monopoly. If Mayo is in the picture, Sanford may have reasons for concern, as outlying hospitals and clinics may align with Mayo. Also, if Mayo establishes a presence in Grand Forks, wouldn't they want in to Fargo also?

Mayo has a corporate culture that doesn't tolerate 2nd rate. That should be good for Grand Forks.

Wasn't there talk that Sanford would provide funding for an indoor practice center? If Mayo is coming in, doubt Sanford would follow through.

Mayo taking a stake, or complete ownership, of Altru would be good for UND, Grand Forks, and North Dakota. Sanford was setting up a "firewall" of sorts. They are taking control of health care along the I-29 corridor from Sioux Falls to Fargo and about 100 miles (or more) on either side.

Clearly Mayo saw this and needed to take action to ensure it has a network of hospitals and clinics as well. Let's hope that UND Med can continue its long-standing relationship with Altru (and assumably now Mayo) as that can only serve to improve the national stature of the program and university.

Looking at this from another way:

The Big Sky needed a fulcrum in case they ever wanted to move east.

Mayo needs a fulcrum if they want to move west.

In each case UND, and Grand Forks, is reaping the benefit.

I worked at a health organization that was bought by Mayo. Maybe because the relationship was new, I saw no benefit to the community; essentially, nothing changed except the name. The goal is to have high tech medical resources 'at home' without having to travel hundreds of miles. This may not happen in GF since it is a lot larger than that community.

BTW, what is up with that Aurora Hospital? Can we safely assume that it just isn't going to open for the foreseeable future? An unused hospital building that cost millions of dollars...what a waste...

well i guess he didn't say what monday! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Much better option than Sanford. Sanford likes to always say they are world class whereas Mayo has actually proven to be world class for a very long time.

I don't think it's necessary to bash Sanford. I've worked for both at different locations and both are good health care providers. As a contracted professional rather than an employee, I can't speak to their internal differences.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Altru Health System partners with Mayo Clinic

Altru Health System announced a new affiliation with the world renowned Mayo Clinic during a news conference that began at noon today inside the Alerus Center in Grand Forks....

...Unlike the recent mergers involving MeritCare becoming part of Sanford Health and Innovis joining Essentia, the affiliation with the Mayo Clinic is more about sharing resources and working together to improve patient care and access to care and does not include Altru being absorbed by a larger health system or a change in ownership.

As part of the partnership, Altru Health providers will be able to perform remote electronic consultations with Mayo Clinic experts and share Mayo Clinic resources.