SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Ten Hockey Conference

dakota fairways

maybe a partial answer to your questions:

The athletic directors said in a statement Monday that the Big Ten would work to maintain a strong schedule of non-conference competition with remaining CCHA and WCHA teams.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/hockey/news?slug=ap-bigtenhockey

Which also means Minnesota and Wisco, at the very least, probably cannot, or will not, schedule the Sioux in the future if the name/logo remain since the schools will no longer be in the same conference.

Didn't we face Wisco in Mens hoops this very year?

Have no idea. I don't watch bouncyball. However, I believe Wisco and Minnesota, and other B10 schools, have policies about not playing schools with NA names/logos, but I have no idea how well they are enforced, especially if there's money on the table. Like FSU playing Wisco in some bowl, or Minnesota getting invited to be a punching bag for Utah in football. :lol:

maybe a partial answer to your questions:

The athletic directors said in a statement Monday that the Big Ten would work to maintain a strong schedule of non-conference competition with remaining CCHA and WCHA teams.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/hockey/news?slug=ap-bigtenhockey

That was obviously the Big Ten's "talking points" of the day. Every single person affiliated with the Big Ten made sure to reference a "strong" non-conference alliance with the CCHA and WCHA. But Minnesota and Wisconsin will only need 8 non-conference games against the WCHA schools to get back to their current number of conference games (28). That's a whopping 4 series per year for the 10 reamining WCHA teams. Assuming it's a balanced scheduling alliance, do the math, and that means UND will play Minn and Wisc once every 2.5 years (a home series once every 5 years). And this, of course, is assuming they will play UND at all given their nickname policies.

Iowa to resume scheduling North Dakota after nickname settlement - 09NOV2007

The University of Wisconsin and the University of Minnesota, two other Big Ten schools, also had policies that barred them from playing UND because of its nickname. Wisconsin has changed that policy since the NCAA settlement, but Minnesota has not.

Wisconsin made their policy consistent with the NCAA sanctions list a few years back. In other words, if you are in compliance with the NCAA's policy on Indian nicknames, then you are in compliance with Wisconsin's scheduling policy. UND was not on the NCAA sanctions list in 2010-11, hence Wisconsin would schedule UND. Starting next year, UND could very well be on the NCAA sanctions list, meaning Wisconsin would not schedule UND for any non-conference competition.

Minnesota's policy is independent of the NCAA sanctions list.

It remains to be seen whether a formal "scheduling alliance" with the WCHA will be a way around these policies.

This has to suck for gopher fans.

1. They can maintain their UW rivarly, but true gopher fans will tell you that one doesn't touch the UND rivalry.

2. The Michigan and Michigan State "rivalries" are pretty tame.

3. The Ohio State and Penn State matchups will be like playing Brown or Union in a holiday tourney, in my opinion. Maybe those will grow after about 5-10 years have passed, who knows.

As a UND fan, I don't have any real feelings on this right now. I would love to see us keep the rivalry with UMN and UW, but if it can't be salvaged, there are plenty of marquee schools to play in non-conference games. I think of the Bostons, Maine, UNH, Miami, Notre Dame, the list goes on and on.

I don't think the BTHC will affect recruiting for UND, and I know it won't affect attendance.

1310 KNOX talking hockey. They are saying its possible Minn and Wisco will be replaced in the WCHA by Miami and Notre Dame. I'm assuming its all speculation but I would definitely take that in a heart beat.

I too would love to see Notre Dame and Miami-OH be invited to and join the WCHA. I know it is wishful thinking, but those two programs would be more than adequate additions to the WCHA. I really wonder what the CCHA will do? Will they try and add schools or will they dissolve the conference? Or will some schools find new conferences? Will the BTHC spark conference realignment with many teams moving to new conferences? Time will tell...

This will suck not having the Goofers to kick around anymore, but it won't be that big of a deal. We only played 4 games total against UM/UW this year, so it was a small part of our schedule. The strength of the WCHA will remain, especially with the addition of UNO. Dean will build the program to national contenders and with the strength of DU, CC, and other schools, the WCHA will keep having 4+ teams in the NCAA tourney. After a few years, the Gopher fans will scream to play us again!

I too would love to see Notre Dame and Miami-OH be invited to and join the WCHA. I know it is wishful thinking, but those two programs would be more than adequate additions to the WCHA. I really wonder what the CCHA will do? Will they try and add schools or will they dissolve the conference? Or will some schools find new conferences? Will the BTHC spark conference realignment with many teams moving to new conferences? Time will tell...

Brad Schlossman has confirmed on numerous occasions that the WCHA want to go after Miami and ND.

Maybe MT will switch to the CCHA and the WCHA will stick to a nine team conference. Which is easier to do schedules for, nine or ten teams? I'd like to see it back to where UND plays each team at home and on the road every year again.

well if Michigan tech goes so does the MacNaughton Cup....

That was obviously the Big Ten's "talking points" of the day. Every single person affiliated with the Big Ten made sure to reference a "strong" non-conference alliance with the CCHA and WCHA. But Minnesota and Wisconsin will only need 8 non-conference games against the WCHA schools to get back to their current number of conference games (28). That's a whopping 4 series per year for the 10 reamining WCHA teams. Assuming it's a balanced scheduling alliance, do the math, and that means UND will play Minn and Wisc once every 2.5 years (a home series once every 5 years). And this, of course, is assuming they will play UND at all given their nickname policies.

Actually the Badgers and Gophers can only play 34 games if they don't add an Alaska team. And they need 20 home games for $ reasons. With 10 games OTR for Big Ten play, that leaves them only 4 road games each year (two series). So who will they reciprocate with? And which WCHA teams will be happy to come to the John without a reciprocating agreement?

Brad Schlossman has confirmed on numerous occasions that the WCHA want to go after Miami and ND.

Great, thanks for the info! I hope it happens!!!

well if Michigan tech goes so does the MacNaughton Cup....

It will be disappointing to see it go...but a new trophy will be formed for us to win. Unless something crazy happens, at least the trophy will leave the WCHA with us having won it the most.

This has to suck for gopher fans.

1. They can maintain their UW rivarly, but true gopher fans will tell you that one doesn't touch the UND rivalry.

2. The Michigan and Michigan State "rivalries" are pretty tame.

3. The Ohio State and Penn State matchups will be like playing Brown or Union in a holiday tourney, in my opinion. Maybe those will grow after about 5-10 years have passed, who knows.

As a UND fan, I don't have any real feelings on this right now. I would love to see us keep the rivalry with UMN and UW, but if it can't be salvaged, there are plenty of marquee schools to play in non-conference games. I think of the Bostons, Maine, UNH, Miami, Notre Dame, the list goes on and on.

I don't think the BTHC will affect recruiting for UND, and I know it won't affect attendance.

The issue is that the huge demand for Gopher and Badger game tickets at the Ralph help create demand for other games. In order to assure Gopher tickets, one almost has to buy season ticket (and also donate to the Fighting Sioux Club) . Without the Gophers or Badgers on the schedule, there's a chance that people will buy tickets for only 4 series or so, instead of season tickets. Moreover, Gopher single tickets cost twice what non-conference tickets cost. There will be a direct effect on UND's budget, and with the WCHA no longer gaining $'s from sold out playoff games at Mariucci and the Kohl Center, the WCHA will return much less to member schools. UND will now be the main cash cow for the WCHA, instead of it being a shared responsibility.

I do however find it interesting that Hakstol led the charge for the Fighting Sioux name, even at the apparent risk of losing the Gopher and Badger rivalry. Perhaps that risk isn't as great as some would have us believe. Gopher fans will turn on Maturi and their administration when they realize the stupidity of their own university's decrees.

It will be disappointing to see it go...but a new trophy will be formed for us to win. Unless something crazy happens, at least the trophy will leave the WCHA with us having won it the most.

I'm not sure how it all works. It would be nice to see in the last year if Tech leaves the team who wins it (or the team with the highest rank that is staying in the WCHA) would become the trustee.

I'm not sure how it all works. It would be nice to see in the last year if Tech leaves the team who wins it (or the team with the highest rank that is staying in the WCHA) would become the trustee.

When Michigan Tech was in the CCHA, the McNaughton went with it.

Have to wonder if the BTHC was in the back of people's minds when the WCHA added UNO & Bemidji.

I can see Michigan Tech going back to the CCHA, since they are losing 3 teams. MTU has had a pretty tough time competing in the WCHA and might look at this as an opportunity to rebuild their program. Maybe Alabama Huntsville will get a chance to join the CCHA instead of, or with, Tech.

While having Notre Dame & Miami join the WCHA would be a good move power-wise for the WCHA, it would hit the CCHA while it is down. Don't know if they have loyalty to the CCHA, but I think that they (especially Miami) will remain in place, at least for the near future.

Without the Big 10 schools, the CCHA is down to 8 teams (9 if Mich Tech goes back). This is far worse for the CCHA than it is for the WCHA.

As for the BTHC asking the Sioux, Notre Dame or anyone else to join their hockey conference but not the rest of the sports, bring a snowball to Central & Washington in Phoenix in June. The Big Ten just doesn't have affiliate memberships. Notre Dame, on the other hand, doesn't want to give up their football TV contract for the sake of their hockey team and the Big East is happy to accommodate their desire to play in their basketball conference without requiring them to join the football conference (for now, anyway).

The WCHA will survive, but I do mourn the loss of the great rivalries with Minnesota & Wisconsin. When you go back to the 'old days', those were the schools that I looked most forward to watching the Sioux play, even more than Duluth and Denver. Times are different now, and Duluth & Denver have developed into some pretty intense competitors and a lot of fun to watch, too, but I still look forward to the Gophers and Badgers more than any of the others.

Now, looking forward, if Tech goes to the CCHA, both the WCHA & CCHA would have 9 teams. That will give all the schools a better opportunity to schedule out of conference games, such as Boston College, Maine, Miami, Notre Dame, etc. Don't jump too quickly on the add more teams bandwagon.

Does this development have any impact on the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo issue? Since Minnesota and Wisconsin will likely not schedule UND if the Sioux go on the sanctions list, will the nickname supporters think twice about their resolve to keep the name at all costs? I have to admit, as much as I support keeping the Sioux nickname and have been following the nickname threads, the potential collateral damage from losing any opportunity to play the Gophers and Badgers troubles me. Maybe they will, maybe they won't... Maybe the NCAA will see the error of their hardline position against UND while being more flexible with Florida State, Utah, Illinois, et al or maybe they will just put UND on the sanction list and say this is what was agreed to. That is one set of questions I wish we knew the answer to.

Finally, this is all a wild guess - maybe college hockey as we know it will be totally different in two years and UND, Denver, Duluth, etc will form a super-conference like the Big East in basketball. Or maybe the conferences will realign more regionally and Alaska Fairbanks and Air Force (yes, I read star's comment about Colorado College being in Colorado Springs, but Air Force's recruiting would not have any effect on CC's because of how they get their students) will join the WCHA along with (and this is a real long shot) British Columbia.

I think that Miami and Notre Dame are gonna have to leave the ccha. I don't think they have a choice because their conference is gonna be terrible which can have an effect on them making it to the playoffs if they don't win their conference tournament. My view of it is the WCHA should first and foremost go after ND. I say this because I think if ND makes the first move and joins the WCHA I think Miami will simply follow. Those are both big time hockey programs that should be very interested in joining what most of us consider the best conference in college hockey.

Wasn't ND in the WCHA a long time ago? maybe that will help bring them back into the WCHA fold and drag Miami with them!

They were I believe back when Michigan and Michigan State left the WCHA. I wonder if this little move starts off a snowball of conference realignment.