SiouxSports.com Forum

FSN Penalty Time

lystesioux

Now that i'm watching this womens game, if they have the technology to have a little drop down box say "power play," why can't they put the time in there?

Apples to Oranges. They can make the drop down power play box pretty easy with a computer...like many things...

Every body says its so hard (or expensive) to get a camera to be pointed constantly at the scoreboard and broadcast it. :silly:

Yes it is silly UND can't have a power play clock. Ridiculous, Pathetic, Disappointing, Stupid, Insane, Second Class.

Ralph would not be happy. Bemidji State has a power play clock.....wait even High Definition!!??

Apples to Oranges. They can make the drop down power play box pretty easy with a computer...like many things...

Every body says its so hard (or expensive) to get a camera to be pointed constantly at the scoreboard and broadcast it. :silly:

Yes it is silly UND can't have a power play clock. Ridiculous, Pathetic, Disappointing, Stupid, Insane, Second Class.

Ralph would not be happy. Bemidji State has a power play clock.....wait even High Definition!!??

That's the worst part, I know they have a new arena, but it's Bemidji State! I can't imagine they have more than a fraction of the viewers that UND gets

Do you understand what HD costs? For UND or WDAZ to provide the hockey games in HD, it would cost over 1 million dollars, that is just to get the truck with everything in it. It would take years for that truck to get paid off. When UND moves into this new conference, you can kiss WDAZ/Midco Sports net (who produce crappy sporting events anyway) goodbye, as they will not be in line to carry NCHC hockey. My guess is that FSN would make a real hard pitch as they will have Fox Sports channels in each area of the conference.

Do you understand what HD costs? For UND or WDAZ to provide the hockey games in HD, it would cost over 1 million dollars, that is just to get the truck with everything in it. It would take years for that truck to get paid off. When UND moves into this new conference, you can kiss WDAZ/Midco Sports net (who produce crappy sporting events anyway) goodbye, as they will not be in line to carry NCHC hockey. My guess is that FSN would make a real hard pitch as they will have Fox Sports channels in each area of the conference.

Games in HD, no more Pat Sweeny calling games, and a penalty time clock.....this is starting to sound pretty good!!!

They are not going to make a pitch for UND when they will be covering all of the Gopher games that aren't on B1G network. I believe Fox sports covers Denver already and I don't see them dropping Wisco anytime soon since they will have the same situation as the Goofs.

I believe Fox sports covers Denver already and I don't see them dropping Wisco anytime soon since they will have the same situation as the Goofs.

FSN no longer covers UW Hockey, they dropped them a few years ago. You do still see UW games on FSN, but they are not FSN productions. They just pick up the local channel feed.

They are not going to make a pitch for UND when they will be covering all of the Gopher games that aren't on B1G network. I believe Fox sports covers Denver already and I don't see them dropping Wisco anytime soon since they will have the same situation as the Goofs.

This is correct, everything i've heard is that FSN will still broadcast every Gopher game not on B1G Network, and it seems like many of the nights they aren't on FSN the Wild will have a good chance of being on. I just can't see them picking up UND games. Wisconsin still has a few games shown by Fox Sports Wisconsin but the quality is no better than WDAZ. Like you said Denver is already picked up by Fox Sports Rocky Mountain (or Denver, whatever they call it now). Grand Forks is just to small of a market, the only reason some Badger hockey games get thrown on is because they already have the station in Wisconsin for the Brewers and whatever else they broadcast in Badgerland...probably cheese making.

So, we get 7-8 games a year as opposed to 20+?!?! I'll take the current arrangement any day! Call WDAZ/Midco crappy if you want. (Compared to the Alaska broadcast, they're top notch) At least we get the games!!
  • Upvote 2

Do you understand what HD costs? For UND or WDAZ to provide the hockey games in HD, it would cost over 1 million dollars, that is just to get the truck with everything in it. It would take years for that truck to get paid off.

UND could pay that off in cash with, what, four home hockey games?

hahahaha. As a Gopher fan this cracks me up and is completely true. All the fans hate Lapanta as play by play. Sweeney isn't very good either, but for what Grand Forks has to offer I think Sweeney is a very good person to have. I'm sure it's cheaper for them too.

I still don't understand how the Ralph didn't have the technology built in for a PP clock. Minnesota had a PP clock in the mid 90's when the channel was MSC, granted the channels that broadcast them probably make a ton of money, but still.

Sweeney is bad. LaPanta is bad.

I said this before Woog and Mozocco were gone: When they leave, it will ruin Gophers hockey coverage.

I actually miss those guys. Their homerism was epic, but they could put you on the edge of your seat. Hennessy is awesome on the radio as well at that. Every game seems like a playoff game with those guys.

Do you understand what HD costs? For UND or WDAZ to provide the hockey games in HD, it would cost over 1 million dollars, that is just to get the truck with everything in it.

and to even elaborate on that the transponder rental is much higher for HD than SD for them to beam it up for cable co's/satco/FTA folks to see it. Even if they only use 1/2 a transponder like some other stations use (like CBS Sports Network or the Montana Grizzlies games) that is still 3x more than what the FSSN uses now which is a 1/6 of a transponder.

So 3 times the money times what 40+ broadcasts equals.....well if Ralph was alive maybe it could be done ;)

I said this before Woog and Mozocco were gone: When they leave, it will ruin Gophers hockey coverage.

I actually miss those guys. Their homerism was epic, but they could put you on the edge of your seat. Hennessy is awesome on the radio as well at that. Every game seems like a playoff game with those guys.

Sweeney might be a homer but he's our homer! He kind of grows on you...and if you don't like him, just flip on the radio...

• Upvote 1

I think Sweeney is just fine.

Completely agree. And yes, HD and a penalty clock would be nice, but let's not forget what we have here people. I live in the Kansas City area and can watch every single home game...you can't say that about many other programs (with maybe the exception of Minnesota). And I honestly love seeing the cheesy commercials for Rydell and all the other local businesses...it reminds me of my days living in Grand Forks and going to UND. It's also refreshing to see those weekly "Crime Stoppers" spots where the biggest crime in town was a minor robbery...a welcome change from the constant triple homicides we see on the news down here.

Let's have a fund raiser targeted at all season ticket holders, alumni, former players, ect. and come up with the cash to buy the equipment. Then we don't have to gripe about this anymore. I would contribute some cash to this.

Maybe a new "Ralph" type person will spring for this.

Sweeney might be a homer but he's our homer! He kind of grows on you...and if you don't like him, just flip on the radio...

I don't care about being a homer or not. That's not what I'm talking about. A home team play-by-play announcer should be at least a little bit of a homer. That's part of what made Mazocco and Woog so fun to listen to.

Sweeney just stinks at play-by-play (as does LaPanta). And, you'd think WDAZ could throw a few bucks in to get the guy a new suit.

This is a very good comment. Those guys were homers but man did they make the game more interesting and fun to watch. Same with Hennessy, he's 2nd to none with his homerism but good God he makes the game exciting.

LaPanta is definitely a step down from what they had in Frank and Wooger (I'm still trying to decipher some of the words and sayings that came out of Woogers mouth), but they've put Casey Hankinson on lately and he's not too bad for just starting, just needs a little more emotion. Last weekend it seemed like Hankinson talked just as much if not more than LaPanta.