SiouxSports.com Forum

FSN Penalty Time

lystesioux

Pat Sweeney replied to another one of my emails a few weeks ago in regards to the penalty time on their broadcast. Can someone more educated in the television business explain to me why we are one of the last groups to be able to put the running penalty time on the screen? Considering Sioux games are now broadcast across the country, it's unfortunate that we are not further ahead with technology.

Pat Sweeney replied to another one of my emails a few weeks ago in regards to the penalty time on their broadcast. Can someone more educated in the television business explain to me why we are one of the last groups to be able to put the running penalty time on the screen? Considering Sioux games are now broadcast across the country, it's unfortunate that we are not further ahead with technology.

In plain English? .....Cost....WDAZ says that that it is too expensive to do. I believe there is another thread somewhere on here that explains it in greater detail.

I watched a division 3 game between Robert Morris and Illinois State on a local channel here in Chicago and they had the penalty time. How sad that the #1 team in division 1 can't provide the same.

I watched a division 3 game between Robert Morris and Illinois State on a local channel here in Chicago and they had the penalty time. How sad that the #1 team in division 1 can't provide the same.

This has been a complaint for a while but I have gotten over it. I feel Sweeney does a good job of often saying how much time is left during the PP.

I've talked to someone who worked for 20+ years at the station and it's cost, plain and simple. He said they hardly make ANY money broadcasting sioux games, and never have. You can run a commercial on the sioux broadcast for something like $300 per 30 seconds.

This is also why you won't see the games in HD soon either...

I've talked to someone who worked for 20+ years at the station and it's cost, plain and simple. He said they hardly make ANY money broadcasting sioux games, and never have. You can run a commercial on the sioux broadcast for something like $300 per 30 seconds.

How much money does UMD, Duluth, Mankato, Bemidji make off there games. And how are they able to afford a penalty clock?

I'm hoping that we can get some help in the advertising market.

I'm rather tired of the same commercials every time... Rydell (and that humiliating idiocy they put their salespeople through), Dahlstrom Motors, American Tire, gosh... I'm repressing a few of them.

The commercials are just old and lame.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I highly doubt it has anything to do with cost. With all technology it takes someone to implement it on the broadcast. Considering the great job the crew does with reviews, video, and showing standings, I would be amazed if adding penalty time would cost really anything.

So why do they do it?

And how much would it cost? $1,000,000,000?

For sure, I don't know....I am guessing that it has something to do with updating the technology.....UMD (Duluth, they are the same thing), Bemidji, Kato, etc might have more updated technology....the U of M has FSN...FSN has the technology for the Wild and can use it.

I don't know the answers, I just know what was stated before in threads about this topic. That is what I was using to answer the question.

I'm rather tired of the same commercials every time... Rydell (and that humiliating idiocy they put their salespeople through), Dahlstrom Motors, American Tire, gosh... I'm repressing a few of them.

I would think it wouldn't be hard to sell commercial time during Sioux hockey games since they are on all through ND, parts of MN, and on FCS. That's a lot of viewers to advertise to. Maybe WDAZ should make it happen...

No one wants to buy commercials during the hockey games...these are the only business that are willing to spend money during this time. If you actually knew on how WDAZ works than you wouldn't be complaining as much. Yes, WDAZ produces the commercials for these people but they are the ones who approve it so it falls on the business. My guess is they are doing their job because you are talking about those particular commercials. ;)

I highly doubt it has anything to do with cost. With all technology it takes someone to implement it on the broadcast. Considering the great job the crew does with reviews, video, and showing standings, I would be amazed if adding penalty time would cost really anything.

It has everything to do with money. For starters they need another camera and camera man, then they need a new switchboard in the truck to upload it onto the screen and than it needs the right cables. Add all that together and it starts to add up. So I can see why they won't do it.

For sure, I don't know....I am guessing that it has something to do with updating the technology.....UMD (Duluth, they are the same thing), Bemidji, Kato, etc might have more updated technology....

2 of those 3 you posted are brand new arenas and Duluth had a technology room built into Amsoil arena. But here is something the Sioux could do. This year when Duluth was still in the DECC the station who did it (My9 in Duluth) used...get this

an overlay of the scoreboard clock on the screen for both the time and the power play. Not a cute computerized clock like most networks use. They aimed a camera at the scoreboard and that was in the right corner of the screen with the little cutout. When a PP was they put the PP time below the team name and just did a strange overlay like they did in the 80's/early 90's

But it could be worse...Anchorage doesnt have ANY clock on the screen. It just says "Seawolves", then below it the visitor and period. Thats it

• Upvote 1

First I want to make it clear how fortunate I feel to be able to watch so many Sioux hockey games on Television. Thank you WDAZ and Midcontinent. With that being said, I was recently watching the South Dakota High State School Hockey Tournament and even they had a penalty clock. Perhaps a special fund raising event could be held or even a commercial sponsor could come up with the extra costs. Either way I hope they may soon be able to add it to their telecasts.

I am also very grateful. to WDAZ/FSSN for the great job that they do. Pat Sweeney, Jim Scanlon and cousin Tarek

all do great work and are very entertaining. My suggestion is that instead of having a PS player of the game maybe

PS Doors or another sponsor could put on the power play clock. I think this would be more bang for your buck,

considering the number of power plays in a game. Example: this power play time being brought to you by Siouxpermex.

Just my two pesos for what it is worth!!!!

This has been a complaint for a while but I have gotten over it. I feel Sweeney does a good job of often saying how much time is left during the PP.

Ahummm that is just one more part of the problem with the broadcast ..... Sweeney then talks more :angry::lol:

Sorry Pat but ............. Its sad play by play for one of the top programs in the country being broadcast nationwide !

• 8 months later...

CORRECT. A LaPanta might be the nicest guy in the world, but his play-by-play "skills" are . . . ummmmm . . . "lacking."

hahahaha. As a Gopher fan this cracks me up and is completely true. All the fans hate Lapanta as play by play. Sweeney isn't very good either, but for what Grand Forks has to offer I think Sweeney is a very good person to have. I'm sure it's cheaper for them too.

I still don't understand how the Ralph didn't have the technology built in for a PP clock. Minnesota had a PP clock in the mid 90's when the channel was MSC, granted the channels that broadcast them probably make a ton of money, but still.