SiouxSports.com Forum

Duncan Commits

jk

A little good news after the disappointing game tonight. Heisenberg put Ryan Duncan's commitment to UND up on his site tonight. Welcome aboard, Ryan.

Edit for you physics fans: the Heisenberg who runs the college hockey recruiting website is the grandson of Werner Heisenberg, of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

Just going off memory here, but Heisenberg has him listed at 5-6 155, and the SSM site has him at 5-8 160. Either way a pretty small guy for Division I. I like having some small skill guys in the mix, so I have no problem with it. However, I could see that being the kind of issue that sends Duncan to juniors for a year before coming to UND. Another small skill guy did that, and it worked out OK (Jeff Panzer). Maybe it will ultimately depend on whether one or more forwards sign pro contracts after this year, which will depend on whether there is an NHL season next year.

Just going off memory here, but Heisenberg has him listed at 5-6 155, and the SSM site has him at 5-8 160. Either way a pretty small guy for Division I. I like having some small skill guys in the mix, so I have no problem with it. However, I could see that being the kind of issue that sends Duncan to juniors for a year before coming to UND. Another small skill guy did that, and it worked out OK (Jeff Panzer). Maybe it will ultimately depend on whether one or more forwards sign pro contracts after this year, which will depend on whether there is an NHL season next year.

He didn't look all that small when he was on the ice when I watched him at the Ralph. And he seriously was the best player on the ice. Period. Yes, better than even Chorney. However, Chorney still has a few years so he will improve (not that he was terrible).

Whether or not Duncan takes a year in juniors or not depends upon many factors, but most importantly, who leaves this off season that isn't a senior.

Hard to tell, really. But judging by his performance at SSM, he looked really good. Plus he made Team NW look like fools at the Ralph.

In the grand scheme of things for guys that have a hard time reading minds, what kind of stats does this kid have?

Looking at the SSM roster, I would hope the Sioux are taking looks at Jonathan Toews, a sophomore ('88 birthdate) 17-15-32 (24 games), and Chay Genoway, a junior ('86 birthdate) with 11-13-24 (23 games). Not to mention 6'5'' 225 lb defensemen Tysen Dowzak, who is a sophomore ??? Wonder how good of a skater he is....

Also, is the Tyler Eaves there the younger brother of Patrick and Ben?

Looking at the SSM roster, I would hope the Sioux are taking looks at Jonathan Toews, a sophomore ('88 birthdate) 17-15-32 (24 games), and Chay Genoway, a junior ('86 birthdate) with 11-13-24 (23 games). Not to mention 6'5'' 225 lb defensemen Tysen Dowzak, who is a sophomore ??? Wonder how good of a skater he is....

Also, is the Tyler Eaves there the younger brother of Patrick and Ben?

UND is looking into these players and it isn't all that unlikely that Chay Genoway will end up a Sioux. As for Jonathen Toews, he has gotten a lot of attention from a lot of schools, but mainly Major Juniors. When I was at the tourny at the Ralph I talked to a gentleman who was a friend of the Toews family. From what he inferred, he expects Toews to go Major Junior, but who knows.

It's interesting in that respect because he's only a sophomore and under the scrutiny of the regulations regarding recruiting, but the fellow said he wouldn't mind Toews playing here.

Yes, The Eaves on SSM is a relative of the BC guys. I believe the youngest brother. Everyone expects him to go to BC as well.

Toews is considered by many to be the top player his age in all of Canada. He was the top pick in the WHL bantam draft. A Crosby kind of player comes along once a decade or so, so Toews isn't Crosby, but he's just a step down. I would consider it to be pretty unlikely that he would go the college route.

Another big name is Okposo (I think), who is supposed to be in the top handful of US kids his age.

I believe this Eaves is not a brother of Ben and Pat. I think he may be the son of Murray Eaves, not Mike. Murray coaches at SSM, or at least I think he did recently if he's not there now.

Just going off memory here, but Heisenberg has him listed at 5-6 155, and the SSM site has him at 5-8 160.

A player's size can be misleading if you take a particular team's "official" roster as the gospel truth. Oftentimes, or many times, a player's height is bumped up 1 or 2 inches. If S-SM has him at 5'8" he may be closer to 5'7"; similarly, Heisenberg sometimes underestimates player' sizes (he has Duncan at 5'6"). My guess is that Duncan is around 5'7".

Let's play "Find the Recruit's Dad!"

First, find Taylor Chorney's dad on this page:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...0005821980.html

Next, find Ryan Duncan's dad on this page:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...0005821971.html

As an added bonus, see how many other "interesting" or "familar" names you can find on those pages. ???

He didn't look all that small when he was on the ice when I watched him at the Ralph. And he seriously was the best player on the ice. Period. Yes, better than even Chorney. However, Chorney still has a few years so he will improve (not that he was terrible).

I saw SSM play team ND and Chorney I thought Chorney and Towes were the best players on the ice. Actually the entire D was very impressive. Duncan looked about the size of a Hoogsteen, he was their best forward, but unlike the last few years they didn't have a dominating line. Duncan's stats are no where near Parise/Murray/Hirsch or even Staffords, but he doesn't have the help those guys had. The 6-5 D man they had was from Fergus Falls - he looked very solid for his age, 88 I think. That being said I think Chorney is the bigger recruit - he should make more of an impact.

My understanding is that the Duncan deal isn't a "done deal" yet. However, there is a very strong chance he will be wearing a Sioux uniform in the future. I would liken him more to a Hoogsteen-type player than a Panzer. Either way, that's a not a bad thing. Moreover, landing Chorney and Zajac is a very big deal. As well, it would be nice to land Chucko too. However, I believe he's still making the rounds. By and large, I think we are going to have a some very solid recruiting classes the next couple of years.

Let's play "Find the Recruit's Dad!"

First, find Taylor Chorney's dad on this page:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...0005821980.html

Next, find Ryan Duncan's dad on this page:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues...0005821971.html

As an added bonus, see how many other "interesting" or "familar" names you can find on those pages. ???

Dean Dachyshyn.... the Dachyshyn wall :lol: and Cary Eades, captain of the '82 sioux team that started the brawl in madison by going into the Wisconsin bench when they tried to change lines...There are some great players on that team...