SiouxSports.com Forum

What if you could trade players in college hockey?

gfhomer

It might not be a glaring hole but your goaltending is certainly a question mark.

I'm cool with our goaltending. Not many guys on many teams are truly tested on the big stage...BC's goalie being the notable exception...his experience along with 2/3 of BC's roster has to make them the favorites to repeat this year. That said, it is a one and done tournament and neither yesterday nor tomorrow matter.

It might not be a glaring hole but your goaltending is certainly a question mark.

This is one of the regular Rodentia Talking Points that they stick with year after year. They believe in their heart of hearts that Gopher goaltending is ALWAYS better than Sioux goaltending, even if the stats prove otherwise. During the rein of Kellen "Five Hole" Briggs, Rodentia always yapped about how "solid' and "steady" Briggs was and that J.P. Lamoreaux was "unreliable" and "shaky". They pointed to all the "big" games Briggs "won". They pointed to the 2004 Final Five MVP award Briggs won despite giving up 8 goals in two games (the ultimate example of the Brad Schlossman Rule). They will conveniently ignore the fact that Briggs probably cost his team any chance at all of a "Three-peat at the Fleet" that KFAN was yapping about until Duluth shut them up in the regional final that year. They also conveniently ignore the soft goals Briggs gave up against Holy Cross in the 2006 West Regional in Grand Forks. I will contend that the Gophers won DESPITE Briggs, not BECAUSE of him. And that goes double for Adam "Doogie" Hauser.

I am happy with Aaron Dell, thank you very much. Now go trolling for backlash comments someplace else, please. :silly::angry:

This is one of the regular Rodentia Talking Points that they stick with year after year. They believe in their heart of hearts that Gopher goaltending is ALWAYS better than Sioux goaltending, even if the stats prove otherwise. During the rein of Kellen "Five Hole" Briggs, Rodentia always yapped about how "solid' and "steady" Briggs was and that J.P. Lamoreaux was "unreliable" and "shaky". They pointed to all the "big" games Briggs "won". They pointed to the 2004 Final Five MVP award Briggs won despite giving up 8 goals in two games (the ultimate example of the Brad Schlossman Rule). They will conveniently ignore the fact that Briggs probably cost his team any chance at all of a "Three-peat at the Fleet" that KFAN was yapping about until Duluth shut them up in the regional final that year. They also conveniently ignore the soft goals Briggs gave up against Holy Cross in the 2006 West Regional in Grand Forks. I will contend that the Gophers won DESPITE Briggs, not BECAUSE of him. And that goes double for Adam "Doogie" Hauser.

I am happy with Aaron Dell, thank you very much. Now go trolling for backlash comments someplace else, please. :silly::angry:

I agree with this completely.

I thought Frazee would waltz in and Briggs would spend at minimum the last half of his senior year watching the game in the best seats in the house.

Of course, Frazee didn't pan out but still.... Briggs was NOT good. Neither was Hauser nor Weber.

It's just how good the Gophers forwards were as well as their system that masked it.

If you want an example now: Look at UW. Gudmanson is NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT as good as his stats suggest. He just has a good D in front of him and a system that makes the whole thing work.

I wasn't trolling. Dell is 20th in the nation in save% and 6th in the WCHA. Not bad but not outstanding either. If your team has a weakness it's him.

And Briggs was a joke. You're right we beat Air Force despite Briggs. We won a LOT of games despite Briggs. Not sure why you think Gopher fans think of him fondly.

I wasn't trolling. Dell is 20th in the nation in save% and 6th in the WCHA. Not bad but not outstanding either. If your team has a weakness it's him.

And Briggs was a joke. You're right we beat Air Force despite Briggs. We won a LOT of games despite Briggs. Not sure why you think Gopher fans think of him fondly.

Speaking of guys who don't show up in big games, I would have traded Kessel for a bag of pucks.

If you take out Dell's first handful of games, he'd likely be the top goaltender in the conference. He was good, but still a little shaky at first, but gained more and more confidence as each game passed and his numbers have improved every week. So, to say he's only an average goalie because of his statistics is a bit misleading.

Okay, fair enough. If you had included the stats in your first message, I would not have responded like I did. I think part of the problem for Dell is that our defense doesn't give up many shots. So if Dell gives up 2 goals on 15 shots, it hurts his save percentage. He almost has to give up 0 or 1 goal every game to improve his save percentage and that is just not realistic with the talent he faces in our league.

My rant on Gopher goaltenders was focused on those fans that think the Gophers have solid goaltending despite obvious evidence to the contrary. KFAN is so biased on this topic that I have stopped listening to 1440AM in Grand Forks altogether. Obviously, you are not one of them. I also think it is strange that a storied program like Minnesota cannot get top-notch goaltending. You have had that problem since Robb Stauber won the Hobey Baker Award.

Those are essentially team stats. How many big games has Dell won? Has he even played in the post season? Im just saying he's still fairly unproven thats all. Dont let it get your undies in a bunch.

You really can't be that silly, you have to be drunk... Hey Skippy enjoy your team not being in the NCAA tourney for a second year in a row... Let's see Dell is so !@#!$that he is tied for fourth in the NCAA with 4 shutouts, 3rd in winning percentage, 4th in goals against average and has a .918 save percentage and before you go beating your chest your goalie only has a .919 save percentage and he has a 2.50 GAA...

Edited by Goon

i agree and thats a great thing for the sioux!

getting back to topic i have been impressed with matt read for the beavs. he gets very deep with the puck on the wings and has a hell of a shot. hes walked in on sioux defenders multiple times and gone for that high corner. i would make a run at a player like that with how the team is already built.

No!!! Not trolling, give it a rest, Briggs isn't fit to sniff Dell's jock... You can tell you haven't watched Dell play much this year maybe except for the rough start, Dell has been rock solid and has 4 shutouts this season.

You really can't be that silly, you have to be drunk... Hey Skippy enjoy your team not being in the NCAA tourney for a second year in a row... Let's see Dell is so !@#!$that he is tied for fourth in the NCAA with 4 shutouts, 3rd in winning percentage, 4th in goals against average and has a .918 save percentage and before you go beating your chest your goalie only has a .919 save percentage and he has a 2.50 GAA...

This could actually be Minnesota's third year in row missing the NCAA tournament. Can you imagine if UND went through a stretch like that?

Okay, fair enough. If you had included the stats in your first message, I would not have responded like I did. I think part of the problem for Dell is that our defense doesn't give up many shots. So if Dell gives up 2 goals on 15 shots, it hurts his save percentage. He almost has to give up 0 or 1 goal every game to improve his save percentage and that is just not realistic with the talent he faces in our league.

My rant on Gopher goaltenders was focused on those fans that think the Gophers have solid goaltending despite obvious evidence to the contrary. KFAN is so biased on this topic that I have stopped listening to 1440AM in Grand Forks altogether. Obviously, you are not one of them. I also think it is strange that a storied program like Minnesota cannot get top-notch goaltending. You have had that problem since Robb Stauber won the Hobey Baker Award.

Tell me about it. I'll never understand why we can't find a top notch goalie and you're right we literally have not had a great goalie since Stauber and that was over twenty years ago. Frazee was the #1 goalie recruit and he flopped. I think Hauser may have been the #1 goalie recruit as well and he was never great. Patterson leads the league in save% but I certainly wouldn't call him great just yet. It's been a very frustrating topic for Gopher fans for a long time.

Like the mid 90"s?

why yes, when there wasnt the media outlets and message boards!! thankfully

i dont think gophers will make the tourney. a few earlier pathetic games will come back and bite them. GO BEAVS!!

why yes, when there wasnt the media outlets and message boards!! thankfully

i dont think gophers wont make the tourney. a few earlier pathetic games will come back and bite them. GO BEAVS!!

I think you're probably right. They way they're playing now will be too little too late. Bemidji is currently a TUC but if the Gophers sweep them I don't think they would be anymore so I dont see a lot of improvement for the Gophs in the pairwise in the near future and time is running out fast.