SiouxSports.com Forum

The X's and O's of Hockey

NorthDakotaHockey

In another thread, it was moved, and seconded, that a dedicated thread to the X's and O's of the game would be a good idea.

I love the game for many different reasons. Having never skated, or been coached, I am slow on some of the finer points of the game.

I have sometimes wondered if there are plays, what is discussed during time outs when a team is in dire need of a game tying goal,

various ways in which the power play is operated, what "The Trap" is, what training techniques are most effective, etc. etc.

I know that there are alot of guys and gals who know the game, some inside and out. I know that there are alot of volunteer youth coaches

who would love to benefit from the teachings and wisdom of others. I know that there are even a good handful of fans who

will welcome a better understanding of the X's and O's. I want to be able to turn to my date and say something more than just

"Wow, did you see that?"

So, here it is. The X's and O's of Hockey. No cat calling. No drivel. Just good solid teaching fundamentals, theories, and questions.

There will be no such thing as stupid questions.

To get things started, I will try to transfer some discussions of The Trap, taken from another thread discussing one of the Masters of the Trap, the

Alaska Anchorage Seawolves. How, when, and why is it used, and how does it work?

Thanks in advance to all who will share.

• Upvote 4

Q: What is The Trap and what should I watch for to see it in play?

A: There are a couple trap styles. You'll notice it most by watching the forecheck and specifically the left winger. Trap styles are usually described in terms of the forecheckers, i.e. a 2-1-2 is not a trap and is most common, a 2-3 or 1-2-2 is a trap. The numbers identify the number of skaters, and the order is offensive zone, neutral zone or defensive zone.

If you see one forechecker, look at the neutral zone. If there are two defensive forwards just on the offensive side of the redline and the 2 dmen are sitting on the defensive blue line that is the neutral zone trap. The forechecker clogs up the middle of the rink and forces the play up the side boards, thus eliminating good passing lanes and clogging up the neutral zone with bodies. This usually is employed against a team breaking out of their own end.

If you see two forecheckers forcing the play up the right side of the ice/side boards, look back into the neutral zone to see if there are 3 defensive players lined up. If so, the guy on the left is probably the left winger and they are employing another trap known as the left-wing lock. This can happen on any change of possession, but mostly is used after an offensive zone turnover.

/s/ YZERMAN 19

A: The way I understand it is that it's a zone defense through the neutral zone. When they're doing it they really plug it up in there.

I really don't understand the pro's and cons of the different schemes.

I guess when you notice we seem to have trouble getting through the neutral zone you should look for the things Yzerman pointed out.

/s/ THE WHISTLER

A: Correct, in the neutral zone trap you are responsible for an area of the ice, not a player.

Pros and cons are: You are almost never going to get an odd-man rush, but you will never give up an odd-man rush. You will have few scoring chances, but if you can force a couple off of turnovers, they should be really good looks. The opponent should never come through the neutral zone with numbers and speed...

/s/YZERMAN 19

A: It also helps hide a teams lack of speed and skill players . . . .

The sioux use a similar style at times....they run a zone forecheck where all three forwards are no deeper than the hashmarks in the offensive zone....and back out as the opposing team starts to breakout ...same concept ...plug up the neutral zone ...looking for a turnover

/s/ ILUVDEBBIES

A: I think that most successful teams do forecheck and play tough in the neutral zone. I don't think it's a bad thing...

/s/ GOON

A: Absolutely agree, love the fact that we're talking about it!

The team I coach kind of runs a hybrid type of forecheck that is based on UND's neutral zone system. Upon our team chipping the puck out or coming off a change, we have our first forward take away the d-d pass, and force the puck to stay on the strong side of the ice with F2 locking up with the strong side wing and taking the body if the pass goes to the wall, and F3 taking away the middle lane of the ice to prevent a cross ice pass. Where we struggle (but the sioux do a great job) is keeping consistently good gaps with our dmen, forcing opposing teams to dump the puck instead of allowing a team to come into our end with speed if we get beat in our system with the short passing game.

Nothing like the X's and O's of hockey. :lol:

I just watched the Detroit Red Wings beat the Rangers and was thinking about the Scotty Bowman Left Wing Lock....that they played for like 15 years. :lol:

/s/ WILBUR

A: That is a hybrid of several forechecks that I'm familiar with. In your forecheck then you have F1 and F3 playing a zone and F2 sticking with the strong side winger?..sorta a mix. That certainly cuts the options for the dman carrying the puck up- no pass to his partner, no pass up the boards, no pass cross ice.

When does your F1 give up playing the pass and jump the puck carrier? Hashes or Blue Line?

/s/ YZERMAN 19

PLEASE CONTINUE WITH POSTS HERE ON THE X's and O's of Hockey! I am less dumber already . . . .

Thanks.

Usually a trap is used when one team such as Alaska Anch is playing a more talented team. They become more defensive in there approach and to force turnovers.

It also is used, as has been discussed on another thread, when the Sioux have a late lead in the game, often times a trap is employed. Basically becoming more defensive.

When the puck goes into the more talented teams end (in AAs case) or the Sioux's opponent (if they have a lead), only one player will attack and 4 players will stay back in the neutral zone. Or only 2 will attack and three will stay back. Thats how you get the different numbers of 1-2-2, in that case one player would be forward attacking, two in the neutral zone in the center to cut off the passing lanes (and push players to the outside boards), and two back.

Here's actually a really simple youtube video showing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq4Q6XKZx_w

Hockey is a very simple game...there aren't 150 designated plays like in football.

Offensively you will basically see positional play, a triangle, or a puck possession game (the cycle) these are known as "systems"...most frequently any "plays" that are created are drawn up specifically for face-offs in the offensive zone.

Defensively you will see zone play or positional play and aggressive forechecks, passive forechecks, and "traps".

In basic positional play, the center has responsibility for covering the entire ice and helping the defense down low. Wingers are accountable for their side of the ice and need to watch the dman on the point on their side. Dmen need to start inside and low and work back and out in locking up with forwards. You want to prevent the pass to a player or to an open space on the ice in the area where your guy will be going. You always take the pass on a 2-1, let the goalie see the shooter. Switch if you have to in order to ensure that inside position is achieved.

On special teams, systems become more specialized but are generally umbrella, overload, triangle or positional on offense and are almost all boxes or passive boxes on defense.

If we are talking "plays", most commonly, you will see give and goes all over. You will also see the play carried up the middle in an attempt to isolate a dman creating a pseudo 2-1.

You will also see on offensive zone face-offs (especially with the extra attacker) an overload on the strong side (means sending 2 or 3 forecheckers onto the side of the ice the puck is on and forcing the defensive center and winger to come back in support of their d) in the hope of winning the puck with numbers and generating a scoring chance for the weak side winger who should be roving between the weak side dot and the post with his stick on the ice. The goal is to free up time and space for a good look for that winger. You will also see passes to "empty spaces" these are generally set as well, with guys knowing exactly where their linemates are going to try and lay the puck and going to a place on the ice. The goal in hockey is to create options and odd mans...you can pass faster than anyone can skate, so good, sharp, quick passes are keys to doing that.

Breakouts are generally either high or low, which dictates the length of the passes. You will also hear "wheel" in a fast up the ice breakout going the same direction as the general flow or "reverse" going back against the natural flow.

That's all for now...I was never a student of the game, I just know what my coaches used to preach and yell at me about. :D

Question: What does it mean when someone says that a player should have "pinched in?" Is it something that is taught and learned, or is it largely instinctive? I understand it to mean when a player should be skating forward taking the play to the opposition, especially to "hold the zone," as opposed to when a player should recognize that she should start the retreat because the puck is soon heading the other way? Is this what happens when a player essentially "gets caught?"

I actually understand the trap to a certain degree. (What's not to understand about 2-1-2 or having your winger cover the left wing....)

But what I don't understand is exactly how that changes what a team has to do to make it through the neutral zone (aside from playing dump and chase if the D is playing up.)

Question: What does it mean when someone says that a player should have "pinched in?" Is it something that is taught and learned, or is it largely instinctive. I understand it to mean when a player should be skating forward taking the play to the opposition, especially to "hold the zone," as opposed to when a player should recognize that she should start the retreat because the puck is soon heading the other way? Is this what happens when a player essentially "gets caught?"

pinching is generally only used to describe a defenseman in the offensive zone, and it generally means leaving the point and moving up into the play. It is advisable when you are losing and it is late in the game and you need to generate some offense. Generally works best when the flow is heavy to the strong side, the weakside dman can step into the high slot and drive the net. The risk is, you can end up with four guys deep in the offensive zone and a turnover then results in an odd-man coming back at you (get caught). Even if only 3 guys are caught deep, it will mean that one of your "d-men" is actually a forward...any forward knows it is much more fun to go one-on-one against another forward forced to play D vs a true D-man. It is a risky play by defenders, giving up good defensive position to try and generate offense.

I actually understand the trap to a certain degree. (What's not to understand about 2-1-2 or having your winger cover the left wing....)

But what I don't understand is exactly how that changes what a team has to do to make it through the neutral zone (aside from playing dump and chase if the D is playing up.)

Best way through it is to spread the ice East-West...run a couple forwards right along the offensive Blue Line, forcing the dmen all the way back to their zone. At least then you've opened up a little neutral zone...

Short passes and patience on the breakout are required. The defenseman initiating the breakout also has to be able to beat the one forecheck one-on-one.

This thread sure got derailed quick. C'mon guys, there's a UAA thread for this.

Moderator Edit -- misplaced gameweek threads were moved to the AA game thread.

Thanks Mod. I thought that this thread was a great idea.

Not that I need to learn more about hockey.

Didn't mean to be the thread cop.

Question: Unlike most, if not all, team sports, one of the many beauties of hockey is that,theoretically, play may never be whistled to a stop for an entire period. No goals. No penalties. No offsides. No icings. A few questions here . . .

1. Does the WCHA, or high school leagues, have mandatory time-outs during a period? It seems to me like this is a practice in league games recently. While they may be extended TV breaks, I wonder if these extended breaks are taken during league games that are not televised as well. If there were no stoppages in play, would the refs at some point whistle one themselves for these breaks, if they are in fact now mandatory?

2. When "changing on the fly," how do players know when to get off the ice? Of course, it is mostly, if not always, done when the puck is dumped deep into the offensive zone, but what tells a player it is time to get off? Some seem to pull themselves after a particularly long and exhausting shift. Some get off and on when they can, with linemates appearing to soon follow. However, do they catch this out of the corners of their eyes, do they instinctively know it is time to switch, or are they waaved off or signaled to do so from the bench? If signaled from the bench, how are some of the ways that coaches typically do this? It seems that whenever I am at Goofer games, I hear a loud shrill whistle that I think may come from the bench. The whistle is often followed by a line change on the fly. Is this how Lucia and his staff signal up a line change on the fly? Maybe the best signal is simply yelling to the players on the ice.

3. Do coaches call the line changes with names, or with a number or other designation?

4. While it may well depend on the closeness of the game, the time of the game, and the intensity of the shift, what is the range of seconds for a typical shift before an "on the fly" change is made?

I love watching action with few whistles. It tends to keeps the boneheads in their seats during the action. Up. Down. Up. Down. Excuse me. What happened?

Question: Unlike most, if not all, team sports, one of the many beauties of hockey is that,theoretically, play may never be whistled to a stop for an entire period. No goals. No penalties. No offsides. No icings. A few questions here . . .

1. Does the WCHA, or high school leagues, have mandatory time-outs during a period? It seems to me like this is a practice in league games recently. While they may be extended TV breaks, I wonder if these extended breaks are taken during league games that are not televised as well. If there were no stoppages in play, would the refs at some point whistle one themselves for these breaks, if they are in fact now mandatory? Don't know if there is a rule, but I would think that they would let them play until a stoppage in the game. There is bound to be a goal or a save where the goalie hangs on or an offsides...there would be a stoppage sometime. They'd let them play...

2. When "changing on the fly," how do players know when to get off the ice? Of course, it is mostly, if not always, done when the puck is dumped deep into the offensive zone, but what tells a player it is time to get off? Some seem to pull themselves after a particularly long and exhausting shift. Some get off and on when they can, with linemates appearing to soon follow. However, do they catch this out of the corners of their eyes, do they instinctively know it is time to switch, or are they waaved off or signaled to do so from the bench? If signaled from the bench, how are some of the ways that coaches typically do this? It seems that whenever I am at Goofer games, I hear a loud shrill whistle that I think may come from the bench. The whistle is often followed by a line change on the fly. Is this how Lucia and his staff signal up a line change on the fly? Maybe the best signal is simply yelling to the players on the ice. normally you know mostly from your legs and lungs, but you will get a call from the bench to change too, especially if looking for a particular match-up. Number one is to be responsible on the ice even during a change, you don't just change because a change is ordered. You can pull yourself off if you are just gassed too. One of the coaches or your teammates will holler at you as well. The whistle is probably just to get their attention, but could be for a line change or a change in forecheck, etc.

3. Do coaches call the line changes with names, or with a number or other designation?

Generally it is by name and/or position (in my experience) you know who you skate with and you know the position, so you jump on when your counterpart gets about 3-5 feet from the bench, it is the guy coming off's responsibility to wave or gesture to let you know he is coming off...you also have to be aware of the puck so you don't get an incidental too many men.

4. While it may well depend on the closeness of the game, the time of the game, and the intensity of the shift, what is the range of seconds for a typical shift before an "on the fly" change is made? D shifts are different than forward shifts, but a normal shift should go between 60 and 90 seconds. A short shift would be around 30 seconds, and would be useful in keeping guys fresh at the end of a game. You don't come off unless the flow of the game makes sense to come off. Again, your responsibility on the ice comes first, getting off comes second.

I love watching action with few whistles. It tends to keeps the boneheads in their seats during the action. Up. Down. Up. Down. Excuse me. What happened?

Great one-liner from a former teammate (who also loved to throw the puck up the rink and ended up icing it more often than not):

"The only connection on most of my two-line passes was some chick's hand slapping my face."

{ba-dump-bump ... TING!}

Thus ends today's installment of "The X's and O's of Hockey" (or in his case, not too many X's and O's ... if you know what I mean ;) ).

I have questions about faceoffs:

* How do you teach them (just repetition?)

* How do you coach them ... seems like an awful lot of faceoff wins depend on linemates not just the centerman.

Year after year, I see UND winning well over half ... and I'm wondering how that comes to be.

I teach face offs by doing them. over and over. I grab the centers and have them line up head to head in various places on the ice - the face off location will dictate where you want\need to go with the puck. We will draw\push\protect pucks over and over. Like anything, the more you practice somthing the better you become. In the case of face offs, you need to specialize in this area. The second step is to get the wingers\def. involved becase the way you address a puck drop in the offensive zone is different than it is in the neutral zone and in the defensive zone. Bottom line. Plan your face offs and practice them.

• Upvote 2

I have questions about faceoffs:

* How do you teach them (just repetition?)

* How do you coach them ... seems like an awful lot of faceoff wins depend on linemates not just the centerman.

Year after year, I see UND winning well over half ... and I'm wondering how that comes to be.

We preach that faceoffs are won and lost as a team. Everyone on the ice has a responsibility if the draw is won or lost, and how the opposing team lines up in our own end will determine how we line up defensively.

Some basic things we coach:

~Centers take at least 200 practice draws in a week. Winning the puck straight back is huge offensively if you are running a play, and huge defensively to break the puck out or ice it on a penalty kill.

~Cheat the draw. If the officials allow it, do it. By this I mean if you are the weakside wing responsible for the weakside defenseman (in a defensive zone draw) and the reff is giving you some as we call it "gray area" keep taking more and more of it before they stop you. If you are the strongside wing responsibly for the defenseman lined up on the boards or the forward lined up on the top of the circle (many teams decide to put a forward back there for a quick win back and shot) you need to push it as much as possible and not let the wing tie you up so you can get out there. (Thus again, cheat as much as possible).

~Don't be overly predictable in the offensive end. Switch it up. Try to walk the other center, tie him up, push him back, push it forward to the wall to set up a cycle. Don't do the same thing every time, and lineup in ways that make the other team think a little bit. Faceoff plays work maybe 10% of the time, but when run right they create some tremendous scoring opportunities. (If you watched Sweden play the Czech Republic at the world jrs. they killed the Czech's with draw plays).

~Try to get the #1 center on the line kicked out. We'll have a wing go in and do his best to get kicked out with the other center. If this works we have our #1 going against a #2 on the other line. If the wing can't get the other center kicked out, he needs to get kicked out so we can get out #1 center into the circle.

~Most importantly......TIE UP!!!! HAVE YOUR GUY!!!! Don't get scored on off of a faceoff!

Great thread. Love to hear other coaches and fans ideas/opinions.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'd like to hear some coaches opinions about matching up lines. For instance, why and when to put your checking line out against another teams top line. How do you adjust if your pk lines have been out on the ice ten minutes straight?

Any other scenario's about line matching welcome...

Thanks for your replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'd like to hear some coaches opinions about matching up lines. For instance, why and when to put your checking line out against another teams top line. How do you adjust if your pk lines have been out on the ice ten minutes straight?

Any other scenario's about line matching welcome...

Thanks for your replies.

This one is more art than science. Regarding difficult PK situations, basically all your guys become penalty killers if you're skating shorthanded for an extended period of time. Always short shifts on the PK if you can get off, get off. But you might roll 8 forwards killing off a 5 minute major.

Deciding when to go head to head: top scoring line vs top scoring line vs checking against scoring really depends on what you're trying to accomplish with a particular shift. It also depends on how your other lines match up. Certain game situations such as faceoffs at critical times might dictate a line based on your best centerman for draws and right vs left handed.

This year the Sioux are highly effective because 2 of the 3 guys on our #1 scoring line can physically punish almost any line or d-pairing in the WCHA. It makes it difficult for other teams, because if you send out your checking line, well Pony and Fratts can simply beat them at their own game.

A couple questions I've always had regarding face-offs.

What is the procedure for the face off(who takes position first, etc.)?

What does one do to get tossed from the face off?

I know there is supposed to be a delay of game penalty if the same team gets tossed twice in the same face off, why is this never seen?

A couple questions I've always had regarding face-offs.

What is the procedure for the face off(who takes position first, etc.)?

What does one do to get tossed from the face off?

I know there is supposed to be a delay of game penalty if the same team gets tossed twice in the same face off, why is this never seen?

If memory serves, the center in the offensive zone has to put their stick down first. On a center ice faceoff the visiting team's center has to put their stick down first (someone help me out here, but I think that is the rule).

Common reasons to get tossed: encroaching over the dot, not squaring up, not putting your stick down first.

I can't remember ever seeing a faceoff go to a third guy to take the draw...sounds like an unlikely infraction.