SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Recruiting

UND Fan

DomIzzoWDAY Per @monkebusiness Beach standout Landon Lechler is down to #NDSU, #UND and #DickinsonState, official visit to NDSU this weekend

Really? Dickinson State? Really?

It's unusual, but not unprecedented. In 2003 the top player in the state was a kid named Brian Dykema from Strasburg. He ended up signing with UMary, I believe because his girlfriend was a student there.

Hambone -- So, out of what's left out there, who are some kids that you hope come to UND? I've included kids that we have offers to, kids that are on our interest lists, and kids from MN (since I've been able to see some of them).

There is some talent there - hopefully, we can land a couple of the better ones. I have heard but haven't been able to confirm that Brandon Larson is headed to UND.

It's unusual, but not unprecedented. In 2003 the top player in the state was a kid named Brian Dykema from Strasburg. He ended up signing with UMary, I believe because his girlfriend was a student there.

Also - Dickinson is looking at him for both football and basketball. Don't think he could play both at either UND or NDSU.

Somebody posted on the ND Preps board that Century's Conrad Schwarzkopf will be a preferred walk-on at UND.

It was also posted on ND Preps that Jake Hanson, QB for Grafton, has committed to UND. I would think that would be a PWO opportunity as well. Also, I would think it wouldn't be at the QB position.

http://www.northdakotapreps.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=10561

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxPiFQ2dnIY

It was also posted on ND Preps that Jake Hanson, QB for Grafton, has committed to UND. I would think that would be a PWO opportunity as well. Also, I would think it wouldn't be at the QB position.

http://www.northdako...hp?f=58&t=10561

Conrad Schwarzkopf and Jake Hanson are great pickups as PWO's. They are a couple very talented ND kids. I see Hanson as a DB.

just a general observation, but does it seem to anyone else that fargo schools under produce? 1/3 of the states highschool grads and noone going to a d1 program as far as I can tell.

I would say that high school football in Fargo this year, and really in the entire east region at the AAA level, was really down.

I would say that high school football in Fargo this year, and really in the entire east region at the AAA level, was really down.

It hasn't been just football. Hockey is down (other than Red River) so are basketball and soccer. Central used to have over 100 players, this year they were down to around 50 if they were lucky. And those 50 players were garbage compaired to how they used to be on an average year. I'm not sure if you put South and Davies together this year that they would have even been good. Were there any elite players in the AAA EDC this year?

It hasn't been just football. Hockey is down (other than Red River) so are basketball and soccer. Central used to have over 100 players, this year they were down to around 50 if they were lucky. And those 50 players were garbage compaired to how they used to be on an average year. I'm not sure if you put South and Davies together this year that they would have even been good. Were there any elite players in the AAA EDC this year?

I don't want to get too far off-topic, but the fact that RR is doing very well in most sports, and GFC is mostly struggling, is part, albeit a fairly small part, of the reason I hope the Grand Forks school board considers doing away with the north-south delineation for determining the boundary between the GFC and RR districts. It made sense in the 1960's. I don't believe it does now. And I suspect the chasm is only going to grow over time unless something is done to make things more equitable. Sorry for the thread drift.

Another observation on Tuilagi - I noticed that HS teammate PJ Taeao, OL 6'1" 300 pounds, has offers from Texas Southern and San Diego as well, which are the same other schools that Tuilagi has offers from (although PJ visited Texas Southern already whereas Tuilagi goes there next weekend). I wonder if PJ would be someone that UND would offer as well (maybe a package deal?). Maybe folks should be on the lookout for a large Polynesian kid with a ponytail this weekend :)

http://rivals.yahoo....f6vQCP54PwfwOrF_

With the signing of the TE Mathewson from Illinois , does this mean we would be backing off on the Arp kid from Forman?

It sure appears that we recruited this kid as a TE but it sounds like he was also a very good DE. In fact, I don't think he played TE until his senior year. He missed most of his junior year with an injury.

We sure have made some major major inroads into Illinois. That is exciting. Did we really back off on California or what. It seemed like we were really do good in our recruiting there the last couple of years. Did the person recruitng California leave or something?