SiouxSports.com Forum

Somebody's Lying

Rick

It is possible he used the words don't recall to soften the situation and not come right out and call Douple a liar. He might be trying to not totally embarrass Douple.

He probably doesn't want to piss off Douple because there is more to the story and he wants it to just go away.

To write a story like this in a publication other than the National Enquirer, there is something, s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g.

I don't think this or any bill will save the nickname, that is good as gone. My problem is, did the leader of our University lie to us all? I'm not sure, we need more information and on-camera interviews of the parties involved.

I will sort of turn around what you wrote above about the newsroom quote, and write this: You are creating the facts without listening to the story.

I'm willing to be convinced. Can you provide any fact, any direct quote from this story or any other source to show that Kelley or anyone from UND pushed the Summit to say the nickname decision was prohibiting consideration of UND's application to the Summit? Don't think you'll find it . Instead, many seem to want Kelley to prove a negative, expecting him to show he did not work against the nickname.

And if you think journalism at the level of The Forum is exempt from shoddy reporting, faulty reasoning and just plain bad writing then, well, I might have a bridge I could sell you.

by the way, isn't it a strange coincidence that this story broke now?

No, its not. This legislature is in a turf battle with the SBoHE. They HATE that the AG told them that SBoHE has final authority of Higher Ed issues. Im repeating an earlier post here, but Al Carlson did not introduce his nickname bill to help UND. He did it to eff with the board.

No, its not. This legislature is in a turf battle with the SBoHE. They HATE that the AG told them that SBoHE has final authority of Higher Ed issues. Im repeating an earlier post here, but Al Carlson did not introduce his nickname bill to help UND. He did it to eff with the board.

Yeah, you gotta hate that pesky North Dakota Constitution ... always getting in the way of political attention whoring.

sorry, I guess the sarcasm smiley was missing... :wink:

It really rubs me the wrong way when someone responses to a very serious allegation with the, "I don't recall" line. An event and statement of this magnitude, in his position, is not something he would forget. If this was a statement he would NEVER make, and didn't make, he should simply state, "I would never, and never did pressure the Summit league to..."

If someone asks you, "Did you say (insert outrageous statement you would never make)?" I assume your response would be "Hell No!," not "I don't recall."

Without any personal information I don't like to make a judgment on someone's character, but there are some causes for concern.

I don't think a professional answer when you are under oath would be "Hell no".

If the meeting this morning would have taken place at the Comfort Inn in north Bismarck than possibly answering this way would have been ok. When every news paper and news outlet in the state is there you do have to keep your answer professional.

Bin said it best earlier when he said the Summit's stance was made perfectly clear by Gene Taylor way, way before this all came up. Douple only solidified that stance as he came out a number of times and said how the nickname issue was affecting membership and scheduling. Any pressure put on by UND would have also had to have been placed on the presidents and AD's of other schools in the conference as well. Why didn't Kolpack ask any of them?

Good enough reason for me! The SBoHE has too much power and answers to no one. If we get an opportunity to stop this nickname retirement nonsense in the process, even better!

Kelley shoudl be run out of office pronto. There shoudl be no need for this disaster he has created. What else has he done here other then bring his raspy voice?

I think we give faison a little lee way. He has done a ton more like getting the national tv deal, Big Sky conference... well maybe thats it but they are two pretty big things.

PLease fire kelley ASAP! HIRE BRUCE SMITH! Someone with true UND pride

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

The University of North Dakota asked an athletic conference it once considered joining to publicly come out against accepting the Fighting Sioux as a member until the controversial nickname and logo issue was resolved, according to Summit League Commissioner Tom Douple.

Perhaps we need to focus on the word "publicly." I think it's entirely possible Douple told Kelley and Faison privately why he was not acting on UND's application, and perhaps Kelley and Faison suggested that it might help them if Douple came out and said it publicly. I don't know...maybe I'm missing something.

What's strange about this is that Peter Johnson's denial for the AD and President is emphatic and unequivocal.

UND spokesman Peter Johnson said Monday and repeated Tuesday that university President Robert Kelley “categorically denies” UND officials ever made such a request to the Summit League.

“False. Not true at all,” Johnson said. “Neither the president or the athletic director or anybody else from UND ever talked to (the Summit League) from that angle. In no way, shape or form did we ask (Douple) to make that an issue.”

However, Kelley's response is much for wishy-washy complete with "I don't recall." (A code word in my profession, especially for something that you would have and should have remembered one way or another)

If Kelley and Faison suggested that Douple go public with his already-made decision, I think that is okay. But if the very idea of the holding up UND's application was Kelley's or Faison's idea, that would grounds for termination. I'll grab my popcorn and wait for the story to develop...

• Downvote 1

So far not on of faisons best interviews. Laughing before trying to answer a question and not even tryign to answer the question about john chaske. Says it doesnt matter and we cant and wont get in the way of the NCAA and john is a little bit off the mark.

He was VERY clear about discussions with Douple, however.

Gabriel just asked Faison where he stands on the nickname..his response "I am not allowed a personal opinion on this, he has follow what the Board directs him too." Um no personal opinion.....we know Hakstol's and Roebuck's opinion but Faison you can't give us your opinion you chicken sh-t.

• Downvote 1

Can't get streaming media through the firewalls here. Anything interesting?

Faison is emphatic that the UND administration did not do what Douple said they did.

Faison isn't allowed to have an opinion on the nickname/logo issue. Listening to him, though, he likes the fan's pride in the name. I think if allowed to have an opinion he would keep the Sioux name.

He also recognizes the revenue that is generated from jersey sales and that it will take a hit , if the name changes.

Faison is emphatic that the UND administration did not do what Douple said they did.

Faison isn't allowed to have an opinion on the nickname/logo issue. Listening to him, though, he likes the fan's pride in the name. I think if allowed to have an opinion he would keep the Sioux name.

He also recognizes the revenue that is generated from jersey sales and that it will take a hit , if the name changes.

Why not say it. What are they going to do fire him. There would be un uproar if Faison was fired for supporting the name.

Just look at sales between the Blackhawk logo and the other Sioux logo when the hockey team went with the plain North Dakota jerseys in the early to mid 90's.

Since when did the hollowed grounds of UND become North Korea??? "if allowed"...really?!?!? :huh:

Why not say it. What are they going to do fire him. There would be un uproar if Faison was fired for supporting the name.

Personally I am sure he supports the name. The difficulty it has created for his day to day activities he probably isn't sad to see it go. Therefore he has no opinion. I don't think it is chicken !@#$ at all for him not to answer the question. His opinion will only cause an discussion either way. His opinion is not going to suddenly change anything. Its called being professional and not letting emotion get in the way.

The only thing that makes me think he lieks the nickname is the $$$ it creates from logo sales. Other than that, IMO he wants it gone. Yeh i agree with others in that did the state of North Dakota become russia and not allow people to have opinions or did Faison jsut say that to get out of the question because he doesn't like the name and knew people would be calling for his head if they knew he didnt like it.