• Michael Cichy
    • Brett Hextall (assuming healthy)
    • other (post if so)
  3. 3. Who had the best 1st half as a freshman

• Dillon Simpson
    • Derek Rodwell
    • Derek Forbort
    • Brock Nelson

Just a few mid season polls while we have a couple of weeks until the Sioux are back on the ice..

you can vote multiple for team mvp as i voted for frats and dell

I also wanted to add a 4th one but they limit it to 3 so ill do it here

Most underrated player of first half of the season?

any choice will work but i am curious to who everyone thinks

brad malone is my answer, not that hes not noticed but he does everything at this level very good and is a plain pain in the a#$ to play against. add his recent scoring touch and you have a hell of a complete player.

runner up - danny kristo, gates have to open for danny and hope the sioux and him can find the way to do that.

go sioux and happy holidays to all!!

Thanks for putting this up AZ.

I would have to say the most underated player so far has been Rodwell. That dude is tenacious. I look forward to watching him for the next 3.5 years.

a few times ive seen him go end to end i ask myself is he the fastest on the team? i know kristo can skate along with genoway but pure speed rodwell seems to have a extra gear that i had no idea he had

a few times ive seen him go end to end i ask myself is he the fastest on the team? i know kristo can skate along with genoway but pure speed rodwell seems to have a extra gear that i had no idea he had

He puts a hard hit on his oppenents as well! I just think he is the epitome of Fighting Sioux hockey.

Woo hoo! Picked them all three right! :lol:

My most underrated player award goes to Mario Lamoureax. The guy has been a rock in the lineup night in and night out. Even though he had a bit of a scoring slump the guy does all the little things right that helps the team win.

Most underrated...Marto.

He's done great at forward, but I think he's had a disappointing first half at defense in my opinion. He's been a little sloppy at times, and for a senior, I'd like to see a little less of that.

I wouldn't call him underrated, he just is what he is.

• Downvote 1

UNDERRATED: Ryan Hill, and I'm not being a wise@$$. He's a good locker room guy and peacekeeper at times. He shows up everyday works hard and does whatever he can do to help the team even though he gets no recognition in the form of playing time or notoriety in the media.

TEAMS need guys like Hill. It was awesome to see him playing the other day. Keep up the good work Ryan.

He's done great at forward, but I think he's had a disappointing first half at defense in my opinion. He's been a little sloppy at times, and for a senior, I'd like to see a little less of that.

I wouldn't call him underrated, he just is what he is.

One could say the same thing of Chay. (Oooops...I'm looking for lightning to strike!)

Marto, IMO, has never received the credit he deserves for his play since he has been here. He is arguably the best skater on the team and his defense is more than solid. Remember he is usually paired with Lapoint...

One could say the same thing of Chay. (Oooops...I'm looking for lightning to strike!)

Marto, IMO, has never received the credit he deserves for his play since he has been here. He is arguably the best skater on the team and his defense is more than solid. Remember he is usually paired with Lapoint...

I think Derrick has had a pretty darn good year. His skating is much better than what it was a couple years ago. He's jumping in on offensive plays nicely (not too often, and picks the right times to do it), and he's creating some nice chances without going overboard.

If you compare Marto, Genoway, and LaPoint's +/-, it's somewhat telling (conference play numbers).

Genoway, a guy who creates so much offensively, only is a +1.

Marto, same type of player, is E

LaPoint, on the other hand, is +4.

Just food for thought.

I was very impressed by all 4 freshman, especially Rodwell. He was the least-hyped of the 4 and has contributed as much as the rest up unitl the break. IF Forbort would have been healthy the entire 1st half he would have been the unanimous choice. That said he will probably be the best freshman down the stretch if he can stay healthy.

Underrated-Mac. No reason other than I like his toughness.

Agree! He will have a nice NHL career as well for how late he was drafted.big physical and plays smart.Mac and blood are right there on my underrated list. Solid d men

Most Underrated: Evan Trupp. He has been rediculous on the PK. Strong forecheck and has been a great help to Fratts in always trying to give a pass option to help set up some of the even strength goals. He just flys every shift.

I'm with you here. He does many things that the common fan may not notice and like you said is always great on the PK and is a great setup man for Frattin. He is definitely fun to watch.

I voted for Dell as the first half MVP. After the way Eidsness played I was very concerned about our goaltending. Dell had played very few games last year and looked lost when he was in goal at home. Then to see him come in and take over as our goaltender and to now lead the WCHA in wins as well goals against average...,

I had hoped for it but wasn't expecting it. Dell has stepped up and took over when we most needed him.

So even though Frattin gets the press because of all of the goals I just hate to think where we'd be without Dell in net.

• Upvote 1

I voted for Dell as the first half MVP. After the way Eidsness played I was very concerned about our goaltending. Dell had played very few games last year and looked lost when he was in goal at home. Then to see him come in and take over as our goaltender and to now lead the WCHA in wins as well goals against average...,

I had hoped for it but wasn't expecting it. Dell has stepped up and took over when we most needed him.

So even though Frattin gets the press because of all of the goals I just hate to think where we'd be without Dell in net.

I also voted for Dell, because without him, many of Frattin's goals are meaningless. Not trying to take away from Matt, but Dell was most valuable with the way Eidsness was playing.

I also voted for Dell, because without him, many of Frattin's goals are meaningless. Not trying to take away from Matt, but Dell was most valuable with the way Eidsness was playing.

Seriously?? :huh:

When your top goal scorer has basically double the goals of the team's second leading goal scorer, I wouldn't call many of his goals meaningless.

Dell has played well, but where would this team be without Frattin?

When your top goal scorer has basically double the goals of the team's second leading goal scorer, I wouldn't call many of his goals meaningless.

Frattin has no doubt been the most important asset to our team from an offensive standpoint. But, the goaltending we got from Dell was, in my opinion, the most valuable part of the team's success for much of the first half the season. There were a bunch of games that, without Dell, Frattin's goals wouldn't have meant as much. Yes, the scoring pace he is on is phenominal and rarely seen in college hockey, much less the WCHA, but my vote went beyond the numbers.

I don't know why you are so upset about it...?

I can see the argument for both.

I voted for Matt personally. With 17 goals, pretty much double the amount of anyone else on our team... his scoring has been critical. Yeah, it is also REALLY important for Dell to come in and play like he has, but without Matt's goals, we wouldn't be winning like we have been. We might have a lot of ties. Like BU. lol. But like I said, I can see the argument for either. Both have been extremely important to the success of our team so far.

Frattin has no doubt been the most important asset to our team from an offensive standpoint. But, the goaltending we got from Dell was, in my opinion, the most valuable part of the team's success for much of the first half the season. There were a bunch of games that, without Dell, Frattin's goals wouldn't have meant as much. Yes, the scoring pace he is on is phenominal and rarely seen in college hockey, much less the WCHA, but my vote went beyond the numbers.

I don't know why you are so upset about it...?

Not upset...it's Christmas time! Just pretty suprised by how you seemed to brush aside what has been one of the best offensive 1st 1/2 of a season by a UND forward since...

Again, Dell has been good...Frattin has be great IMO.

Not upset...it's Christmas time! Just pretty suprised by how you seemed to brush aside what has been one of the best offensive 1st 1/2 of a season by a UND forward since...

Again, Dell has been good...Frattin has be great IMO.

If you compare the numbers with each other's peers around the country, Frattin would no doubt be the MVP on the team. It just goes beyond the numbers for me.

Without Frattin, we'd certainly have a worse record, but there are still some guys who can put the puck in the net. Without Dell, we have a VERY shaky Eidsness in net instead. Brad accomplished some nice things the last couple years, but it's not hard to see he hasn't been a good goaltender through the first half of the season, so to have Dell come in and be the foundation of a good defense since, I think earns my MVP vote.

Can you imagine what this team would be like without Dell or Frattin...