SiouxSports.com Forum

How Can We Thank Them?

Big A HG

I really feel that the people as a whole should come up with a way to thank the many Native American members of both the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock reservations who came out and voiced their beliefs in regards to the support of the Sioux nickname. They did so much, even though it was ultimately a losing battle. The people who "won" the fight, know that the supporters were right all along, hence the stonewalling and ignorance portrayed on their part.

I really want to thank these people so much, because the name means so much to me and many others...so, maybe there is a way we can all give them a warm round of applause, so-to-speak.

Thank you supporters

I really feel that the people as a whole should come up with a way to thank the many Native American members of both the Spirit Lake and Standing Rock reservations who came out and voiced their beliefs in regards to the support of the Sioux nickname. They did so much, even though it was ultimately a losing battle. The people who "won" the fight, know that the supporters were right all along, hence the stonewalling and ignorance portrayed on their part.

I really want to thank these people so much, because the name means so much to me and many others...so, maybe there is a way we can all give them a warm round of applause, so-to-speak.

Thank you supporters

I would have no problem in supporting the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation. They have been at the nickname's side this whole time. Now the Standing Rock thats a place I will NEVER go. I have nothing against the people (its too bad they were not allowed to vote) but to the tribal council who didn't give their people a chance to be heard thats where my problem lies. They are corrupt and that is reason enough for me to never thank them.

Thank you supporters

Totally agree. There are a number of people, I'm sure both in the news and outside of the news, that worked in support of UND keeping the nickname. They owed us nothing, but for their own reasons they fought for UND to keep using the nickname and for that I am very much appreciative.

While I am happy they support the Sioux nickname, I can't help but wonder what things would be like now if they would have taken the initiative to tell the NCAA their feelings and support when the whole thing came up in the first place. Working on the NCAA deadline doesn't give much wiggle room. A lot of people were silent for too long, but in the end the Standing Rock leaders are the ones that should be absolutely ashamed for not letting their people's voice to be heard.

To be fair to Standing Rock, the entire community was muted by a few individuals who had all the power to stop them. I strongly feel that if they had their voices heard, it'd be a similar story to Spirit Lake...hence the reason why they were never allowed to vote or be heard. The "leaders" knew what the outcome would have been.

While I am happy they support the Sioux nickname, I can't help but wonder what things would be like now if they would have taken the initiative to tell the NCAA their feelings and support when the whole thing came up in the first place. Working on the NCAA deadline doesn't give much wiggle room. A lot of people were silent for too long, but in the end the Standing Rock leaders are the ones that should be absolutely ashamed for not letting their people's voice to be heard.

I tend to agree. There was nary a peep from many of these people when the fight was actually happening, and before the settlement was signed. If they had spoken up sooner, we may not be having discussions about a new name/logo. On the flip side, UND, as a whole, has never really done a decent job of maintaining the type of ties to the SL and SR members in any fashion that did not seem self-serving or mercenary.

I would have no problem in supporting the Spirit Lake Sioux Nation. They have been at the nickname's side this whole time. Now the Standing Rock thats a place I will NEVER go. I have nothing against the people (its too bad they were not allowed to vote) but to the tribal council who didn't give their people a chance to be heard thats where my problem lies. They are corrupt and that is reason enough for me to never thank them.

Bull! I've said it before and I'll say it again, where were they and why didn't they speak up before the settlement when UND said they had Spirit Lakes support and the NCAA wanted to hear it from Spirit Lake but they sat on the fence with no comment?

We can thank all who tried to help UND keep the Fighting Sioux name and logo by carrying on in a dignified and adult fashion. A protest or boycott isn't the correct way to honor the proud tradition that we are now in the process of retiring.

Bull! I've said it before and I'll say it again, where were they and why didn't they speak up before the settlement when UND said they had Spirit Lakes support and the NCAA wanted to hear it from Spirit Lake but they sat on the fence with no comment?

At least they did something about it and had their people vote. That says something. What the hell did the SR do.....NOTHING!!!!!!! No vote, nothing. Why because of their tribal council. If thats the sort of people they want representing them go for it.

We can thank all who tried to help UND keep the Fighting Sioux name and logo by carrying on in a dignified and adult fashion. A protest or boycott isn't the correct way to honor the proud tradition that we are now in the process of retiring.

I agree 100%!

The last thing we would want to do is protest because as you say that would not be dignified and adult and the last thing we would want do do is protest like some undignified childish Martin Luther King type of a fella.

Thanks for saving us from ourselves Gandhi!

I also agree that the last thing we would want to do is boycott anything. At the very foundation of our country is a boycott and we all know where that got us..

• Upvote 1

I agree 100%!

The last thing we would want to do is protest because as you say that would not be dignified and adult and the last thing we would want do do is protest like some undignified childish Martin Luther King type of a fella.

I also agree that the last thing we would want to do is boycott anything. At the very foundation of our country is a boycott and we all know where that got us..

I'm picking up on something...maybe a little sarcasm? ;)

I agree 100%!

"Anger most harms the person who feels it" - Dalai Lama

;)

I say we thank those who supported us from both reservations.

Have a small ceremony, invite the media, but hold the ceremony in private. The media can then run interviews afterwards.

Then, everyone (UND, students, alumni, etc.) just walks away.

Like I said before, there should be no overt repercussions to the whole deal. No cuts in funding or programming (provided the funding is already in place).

However, from the end of the Sioux nickname forward, the Native Americans will enjoy no more privilege on campus than any other ethnicity with regards to additional funding, programming, or recognition. UND is no longer obligated to go out of their way (as defined as doing anything more towards, in this case, Native Americans) for Native Americans, especially if they're not going to turn around and do the same for the African American, Latino, Asian American, or any other ethnicity.

They can bid for it like every other UND organization or entity and will receive no more weight in their bid than any others.

They should face the same academic requirements all other UND students are required.

In other words: Give them their wish: Make them truly equals. Remove them from the pedestal they are on and demolish the pedestal in the most economically efficient manner.

Have a small ceremony, invite the media, but hold the ceremony in private. The media can then run interviews afterwards.

Like I said before, there should be no overt repercussions to the whole deal. No cuts in funding or programming (provided the funding is already in place).

However, from the end of the Sioux nickname forward, the Native Americans will enjoy no more privilege on campus than any other ethnicity with regards to additional funding, programming, or recognition. UND is no longer obligated to go out of their way (as defined as doing anything more towards, in this case, Native Americans) for Native Americans, especially if they're not going to turn around and do the same for the African American, Latino, Asian American, or any other ethnicity.

They can bid for it like every other UND organization or entity and will receive no more weight in their bid than any others.

They should face the same academic requirements all other UND students are required.

In other words: Give them their wish: Make them truly equals. Remove them from the pedestal they are on and demolish the pedestal in the most economically efficient manner.

You seem to be the one on the pedestal.

I see your Gandhi and Carl Spackler and raise you ...

"The fear of loss is a path to the dark side." - Yoda

"But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they." - Yoda

The North Dakota Yoda has spoken. ;)

AMEN!!!

I see your Gandhi and Carl Spackler and raise you ...

"The fear of loss is a path to the dark side." - Yoda

"But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they." - Yoda

The North Dakota Yoda has spoken. ;)

Well you can't have Yoda without this guy...

"Count mesa outta dis one! Better dead here, den dead in da core.