SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS Post Season

Matt

Someone said the Alumni Assoc. at NDSU bought up a bunch of tickets and they are giving them away to try get people to come to the playoff game. You wouldn't think they would need to do that when it is the first playoff game at NDSU in 20 years. You would everyone would be storming the ticket office to buy tickets.

they bought 500 student tix. of course you somehow misconstrue it to fit your agenda

The Griz beat MSU on the last game of the season and they are in and you are out...period. Scheduling arguments are hindsight for a season that is just over. Do you think the KU game was penciled in as a win before the year started? Not even 99% of Phil Hanson wannabe's from Bisonville would of predicted that. So the schedule is what it is this year for both schools. You won a game that 9 of out 10 times you lose and the Griz piss one down their legs vs. MSU. This year the Griz screwed themselves by not beating MSU in a game they should of probably won. This year NDSU gets a win vs. KU that very few thought would happen. NDSU's win vs. KU got them into the playoffs coupled with the fact that MSU beat the Griz. The two games I'm referencing are not independent in this whole playoff scenerio. Frankly, your scheduling argument doesn't hold water IMO.

neither does yours. none of that happened. i can also comeback and say "what if ndsu beat missouri state?" then it wouldnt have mattered if montana won. but wait, it doesnt matter anyways because THEY LOST

We'll agree to disagree...NDSU is in the playoffs mainly due to a game they shouldn't have won: The KU game. Your same record argument takes into accout that it was a given that NDSU would beat KU. It happened but wasn't a 7th win factored into the minds of Bohl and Taylor prior to the start of the season. You can point to the Griz scheduling a D2 game, which is what it is, but if the Griz beat a cupcake FCS team over a D2 team, like this year and still lose to MSU and NDSU still beats KU...the Griz are still out. Pretty obvious! Montana in the final poll was still ranked higher than NDSU so a non-conference win over a patsy FCS team instead of a D2 team doesn't get you past the fact they needed to beat MSU under any scheduling scenerio you want to propose...again pretty obvious. ;)

But we did beat Kansas. GET OVER IT

But we did beat Kansas. GET OVER IT

Ah yes, the silly season. Emotions are running hot, screams are heard as people shout at the top of their lungs (we must capitalize everything to make a point, but the question is what point are we making?).

Congrats to the Bison for making the playoffs. One game didn't do it but the total results of the season (beating KU helped but, going with the obvious, if they beat KU and lost to everybody else, they wouldn't be in the postseason). I hope they do well as UND and NDSU are natural rivals where one does well, the other raises it game and works to achieves the same level of play (success).

Not quite......KU has Turner Gill, who I think will turn out to be a good coach. Minnesota had Tim Brewster who is........well........Tim Brewster.........

We will see. KU has a lousy record and losses to some real turkeys this year. Losing to NDSU sure did not help his recruiting situation either. Minnesota cannot win no matter who is coaching so I do not blame Brewster. Lousy college atmosphere and the school does not encourage local loyalty in spite of what you may see. HS kids do not relate to the place.

I thought who gets to host was based entirely on who bids more, nothing to do with relative rankings of teams. If that's true, having among the top attendance in FCS and nice facilities, NDSU seems well-positioned to almost always get a playoff game at home when they make the playoffs.

There is more criteria to host a playoff than just money even though there is a minimum bid. One is fan attendance during the year and a few others.

But I'm sure most of it is how much the bid is.

That seems so wrong, but so something the NC$$ would do.

I predict a 56-7 trouncing by the Bison against Robert Morris. The real game will be in Montana the following weekend, I would have to say the Bobcats will take care of the Bison, but congrats on making the playoffs. (seriously)

They announced at 6 tonight that there have been 11,000 tickets sold for the Bison playoff game in Fargo tomorrow. I know it is the holiday weekend but I thought they would sellout that game in a hurry since they haven't hosted a playoff game in 20 years. Surprising. It would seem odd if they had 8000 empty seats tomorrow.

They announced at 6 tonight that there have been 11,000 tickets sold for the Bison playoff game in Fargo tomorrow. I know it is the holiday weekend but I thought they would sellout that game in a hurry since they haven't hosted a playoff game in 20 years. Surprising. It would seem odd if they had 8000 empty seats tomorrow.

I'm sure there will be a lot of walk-ins, I'd be surprised if they didn't have at least 15,000.

So on the biggest eve of Bison football ever, I took a sioux fan bus to the hockey game. Boy was it fun. Another sellout crowd. Bus after Bus lining up outside the ralph. I boarded one. Looked out the window and saw the magnificent Ralph Engelstad Arena as we parted. Sioux fans in the back of the bus started chanting "!@#$ the gophers." I was reminded how little the word "bison" even cross most Sioux fans mind.....

Just went to bisonville.com. Clicked their main sports page: "football"....clicked "playoff crowd" (only topic in the top five relating about the game tomorrow).....went to the current page (25) with six of the eight posts having some kind of reference to the Fighting Sioux.

Different cultures indeed at the two schools.

• Upvote 1

If I may, I'll try to get away from all of the NDSU v. RMU talk.............(for the record, I fully expect NDSU to throttle Bob Morris this weekend).

Here's the FCS playoff bracket.

So, what are everybody's thoughts? We all used talk pretty diligently about the DII playoffs.................let's move on up!

I'm picking William & Mary and Eastern Washington to meet up in Frisco in January.

IMO the lower bracket is all about Delaware and William & Mary, there won't be a close game until the semis. W&M beat the Blue Hens by one at home earlier this season.

Seems like the upper bracket has more parody with Appalachian St, Stephen F. Austin, Eastern Washington, Montana St, and even Villanova. I think if EWU gets a second chance at Montana St., they'll come out on top. EWU has been playing much better football the 2nd half of the season than has MSU. App St. has to be the favorite, out of the upper bracket, the Big Sky fan in me has to root for EWU or MSU if they get there. Also, I'm not positve that App St. would match up well with Stephen F. Austin if they meet up.

As of now (the day before ;) ) I'm picking Eastern Washington to win it all, defeating William & Mary in the title game. I reserve my right to reconsider Saturday night.

Good call Bin. I'm picking Stephen F. Austin from the top as a sleeper. There always seems to be an unseeded team to make a run in FCS and I'll take that offense to win a lot of shootouts in the playoffs. From the bottom I'll pick Deleware. I think they where the best team throughout the coarse of the season and expect that to continue. I think Deleware will win it all.

I was in Dickinson the other day and they had a huge write up about Mont. St. in the paper. I guess they cover the BSC a lot there. Anyways I didn't realize Mont. St. has a freshman qb who was the MVP of the Big Sky. They also have a younger defense. I like them but don't think now is their time.

As far as today, I'll take Coastal Carolina, ndsu, UNI and Georgia Southern.

Good call Bin. I'm picking Stephen F. Austin from the top as a sleeper. There always seems to be an unseeded team to make a run in FCS and I'll take that offense to win a lot of shootouts in the playoffs. From the bottom I'll pick Deleware. I think they where the best team throughout the coarse of the season and expect that to continue. I think Deleware will win it all.

I was in Dickinson the other day and they had a huge write up about Mont. St. in the paper. I guess they cover the BSC a lot there. Anyways I didn't realize Mont. St. has a freshman qb who was the MVP of the Big Sky. They also have a younger defense. I like them but don't think now is their time.

As far as today, I'll take Coastal Carolina, ndsu, UNI and Georgia Southern.

There are quite a few kids from Dickinson and Williston that go out to Montana State. It is not much further distance wise to go there than to the Unversities in the Valley and now with WUI scholarships, no one has to pay out of state tuition for undergrad school. My brother went to school at Montana State, but back in those days there was no WUI, so he (my parents) got screwed and had to pay out of state tuition.

Attendance issues for their first home playoff game in how long? 16-17 years? This is for all the crap we've taken cause only 6000 showed up for Winona St. those years. You're no better than we are when it comes to playoff games where the home team is "supposed" to win.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2010/11/26/here-it-is/

Six more hours to sell tickets and I am sure there will be a large walkup crowd.

Attendance issues for their first home playoff game in how long? 16-17 years? This is for all the crap we've taken cause only 6000 showed up for Winona St. those years. You're no better than we are when it comes to playoff games where the home team is "supposed" to win.

Just to save for posterity's sake:

NDSU home playoff attendance

6,100 - 1976 Montana State

2,200 - 1977 Northern Michigan

4,300 - 1982 Virginia Union

5,600 - 1983 Towson State

13,758 - 1984 UC Davis

11,090 - 1984 Nebraska Omaha

12,092 - 1986 Ashland

12,380 - 1986 Central State of Ohio

7,500 - 1988 Augustana College

10,200 - 1988 Millersville

13,200 - 1988 Cal State Sacramento

8,400 - 1989 Edinboro

7,103 - 1990 Northern Colorado

8,253 - 1990 Cal Poly

9,086 - 1990 Pitt State

4,839 - 1991 Mankato State

6,230 - 1992 Northeast Missouri

Who is saying there will be 6000 at the game today. If the game were in the Alerus, it would be sold out.