SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs BULLDOGS - Saturday

AZSIOUX

Alright look from it at this angle, UND totally out played them on Friday Night, and it was a close game on Saturday with UND coming close to winning it in the final minutes of the game prior to the OT. That game could have gone either way. Bulldogs come into this series ranked number two in the nation, if that is the number two team in the nation, then UND should be ranked three or at least equal to the Dogs.

Point taken.

As I said earlier, I have seen every game UMD played this year and Friday was not typical. But you kind of made my point for me. On Friday UND totally outplayed UMD, was going against a freshman goalie playing his 4th game, and UMD still was in a situation where they could tie with the goalie pulled. You said Saturday could have gone either way, I agree....but Friday could have as well.

Saturday is how they have played this for the majority of this season.

I do agree that the Sioux are better than 7th in the nation, but you can't lose the games they have been losing and expect to be ranked higher.

• Downvote 1

. Let's get off the refs and focus on hockey skillsets and maybe that elusive 8th banner will be ours.

Thanks for the Lecture; if fans want to talk about the officials so be it, it's a legitimate subject, and worthy of a discussion. I have watched 100's hockey games over the years and the NCAA division one refs are the worst officials I have seen in hockey, more specifically the buffoons reffing games in the WCHA are joke.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the Lecture; if fans want to talk about the officials so be it, it's a legitimate subject, and worthy of a discussion. I have watched 100's hockey games over the years and the NCAA division one refs are the worst officials I have seen in hockey, more specifically the buffoons reffing games in the WCHA are joke.

Pretty broad statement. This whining about the refs every week is getting really old, it makes us sound like little league kids. You cannot do anything about it so why get so worked up all the time. How about focussing on how many misplayed passes the Sioux have on every rush or how many times they shoot into the goalie's gut instead of hitting the corners. Shot performance is terrible as can be shown by the shots taken every game vs the scoring the last few years. With all the serious injuries the last few years the game is changing, more finesse and less brute force. When Hakstol learns that and the team focusses on playmaking instead of dump, chase and grind they will get a better result. BC has not kicked our butt the last few years for nothing. Learn from it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Pretty broad statement. This whining about the refs every week is getting really old, it makes us sound like little league kids. You cannot do anything about it so why get so worked up all the time. How about focussing on how many misplayed passes the Sioux have on every rush or how many times they shoot into the goalie's gut instead of hitting the corners. Shot performance is terrible as can be shown by the shots taken every game vs the scoring the last few years. With all the serious injuries the last few years the game is changing, more finesse and less brute force. When Hakstol learns that and the team focusses on playmaking instead of dump, chase and grind they will get a better result. BC has not kicked our butt the last few years for nothing. Learn from it.

Come to think of it I think I have

It

Pretty broad statement. This whining about the refs every week is getting really old, it makes us sound like little league kids.

That isn't a broad statement? Have you watch NHL hockey? I am not trying to start a fight with you but the officiating in the WCHA isn't even up to par the worst effort one could see in the NHL. I bet the house league in Canada has better officials than the WCHA. Maybe one of our Canadian friends can tell us other wise. You have alumni of a member school officiating that team's games. The WCHA is the perfect example of nepotism and cronyism. There is no transparency what so ever. The officials don't even put their name on the back of their shirts, that is piss poor.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That isn't a broad statement? Have you watch NHL hockey? I am not trying to start a fight with you but the officiating in the WCHA isn't even up to par the worst effort one could see in the NHL. I bet the house league in Canada has better officials than the WCHA. Maybe one of our Canadian friends can tell us other wise. You have alumni of a member school officiating that team's games. The WCHA is the perfect example of nepotism and cronyism. There is no transparency what so ever. The officials don't even put their name on the back of their shirts, that is piss poor.

It still sounds like whining when it is part of every game discussion and most other threads. It isn't going to change unless the member schools decide to make the change. All of the teams have to deal with it. And it isn't going to change in the middle of the season. Maybe someone should start a thread about how horrible the refs are and try to keep it in one place rather than letting it dominate so many other threads. But Ole's right, even if it is true it sounds childish to continually complain about the refs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This whining about the refs every week is getting really old, it makes us sound like little league kids.

Agreed.

The Maine series was the only one this season that I thought was very poorly officiated, but a huge chunk of that was just that HEA officiating is that much different from the WCHA, and UND never really adjusted to it.

Other than that, it just gets old to be constantly discussing it, whether we win or lose.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agreed.

The Maine series was the only one this season that I thought was very poorly officiated, but a huge chunk of that was just that HEA officiating is that much different from the WCHA, and UND never really adjusted to it.

Other than that, it just gets old to be constantly discussing it, whether we win or lose.

I agree the whining about the reffing gets real old. Put the damn puck in the net at a better rate and none of it will matter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I agree the whining about the reffing gets real old. Put the damn puck in the net at a better rate and none of it will matter.

yep, score one more goal last night and this is all moot point. it goes both ways. after malone got pulled down last night with no call, moments later we got away one as well as we took down one of their guys in the closing minutes with no call.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Why do the womens refs have names on the back of their shirts? Aren't these all WCHA refs?

• Upvote 1

So is it piss poor in the NHL cause they don't wear their names on the back of their sweaters? HEA doesn't wear nameplates.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why do the womens refs have names on the back of their shirts? Aren't these all WCHA refs?

My only thought to that is that they treat them as two different entities. To relate it to pro sports, the NBA and WNBA using different looking balls. I know they are different size but why different colors?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

yep, score one more goal last night and this is all moot point. it goes both ways. after malone got pulled down last night with no call, moments later we got away one as well as we took down one of their guys in the closing minutes with no call.

Exactly.They usually even themselves out.

So is it piss poor in the NHL cause they don't wear their names on the back of their sweaters? HEA doesn't wear nameplates.

The ECAC refs wears their names on the back of their shirts/sweaters and they have Paul Stewart as their head of officials and he is definitely well respected around the hockey world.

• Downvote 1

The ECAC refs wears their names on the back of their shirts/sweaters and they have Paul Stewart as their head of officials and he is definitely well respected around the hockey world.

How is it piss poor for WCHA officials to have numbers instead of nameplates? That was your point, so please explain.

Just for the record,

We have lost four games this year.

In three of them we had a 5 min major and a game DQ.

In the other we had a horrendous string of penalties called against us in a row.

5 min majors are catastrophic,

The DOT line lost to BC in the NCAA semi game where we got a 5 min major called on us in the first period.

Both the five minute major for checking from behind and contact to the head rules were created as a result of our players getting hurt maliciously. (Bina and Genoway).

and it seems like these rules end up getting used against us in very sketchy ways?

You can play the body on a loose puck. Two opposing players chasing the same loose puck can play the body rather than the puck. There is a gray area as to when it becomes interference based on difference/time until the puck could/will be played. 5 feet is a stride away, that to me is physical hockey and not interference.

I believe that you are incorrect on that point. The rule was changed just a couple of years ago. You cannot simply check the player when both of you are heading for the puck. That is interference. You are allowed to work for position, but you cannot check the player.

• Upvote 1

I believe that you are incorrect on that point. The rule was changed just a couple of years ago. You cannot simply check the player when both of you are heading for the puck. That is interference. You are allowed to work for position, but you cannot check the player.

You are correct. You may not change skating lane or speed to intentionally imped a players ability to go for the puck. In a foot race you must maintain your foot speed and skating lane.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Just for the record,

We have lost four games this year.

In three of them we had a 5 min major and a game DQ.

In the other we had a horrendous string of penalties called against us in a row.

5 min majors are catastrophic,

The DOT line lost to BC in the NCAA semi game where we got a 5 min major called on us in the first period.

Both the five minute major for checking from behind and contact to the head rules were created as a result of our players getting hurt maliciously. (Bina and Genoway).

and it seems like these rules end up getting used against us in very sketchy ways?

5 minute majors are supposed to be catastrophic. They don't want players doing those things. That's why they don't end if someone scores, you have to play a man down the whole 5 minutes. And even if you keep the other team off the scoreboard you continue to pay the rest of the game. It wears out your penalty killers. And it ruins your rotation, both because the penalty killers are tired and because you lose a player for the rest of the game.

There are 2 simple rules to follow to prevent getting these 5 minute majors. If you can read the number on the back of the sweater, DON'T HIT HIM! And NEVER HIT SOMEONE IN THE HEAD! Even the NFL now has rules about hitting people in the head. UND isn't the only team getting these 5 minute majors, but people only notice when it happens to their team. The players just have to learn not to do those things and the number of penalties will decrease dramatically.

There are 2 simple rules to follow to prevent getting these 5 minute majors. If you can read the number on the back of the sweater, DON'T HIT HIM! And NEVER HIT SOMEONE IN THE HEAD! Even the NFL now has rules about hitting people in the head. UND isn't the only team getting these 5 minute majors, but people only notice when it happens to their team. The players just have to learn not to do those things and the number of penalties will decrease dramatically.

Unfortunately, after the first month of the season following the hit on Bina, everything anywhere near a cfb was called, then, the calls resumed to inconsistent at best. I saw Lammy's push in the back on TV, then it disappeared on the screen before one could see how the Duluth player impacted the boards. I thought when I saw it, based on several similar pushes over the years since the emphasis, that it might be called a cfb, or, more likely, a boarding or nothing at all. When the referees and linesmen held a conference, I was sure it was going to be a cfb. It seemed, watching several teams actions after the Bina hit and rule emphasis, that the Sioux from that time on have been held to a higher standard, which again seems to be repeating itself after the Marvin hit. The Sioux will not get by with anything even remotely resembling a cfb or contact to the head, so, they must avoid those thing entirely. It seems that the constant blogging and complaining about the Sioux's physical nature is having an affect on their game. Makes it difficult to play since the Sioux play a NHL style, but unfortunately, although the NHL standards are now the same, the calls do not have NHL consistency, and that's a problem that will not likely go away.

• Upvote 1

5 minute majors are supposed to be catastrophic. They don't want players doing those things. That's why they don't end if someone scores, you have to play a man down the whole 5 minutes. And even if you keep the other team off the scoreboard you continue to pay the rest of the game. It wears out your penalty killers. And it ruins your rotation, both because the penalty killers are tired and because you lose a player for the rest of the game.

I just find it a little funny that the league makes a harsh rule to respond to a dirty play like Marvin's hit on Genoway where he 100% teed-off on his head with a full arm swing with a leading elbow ( and from behind no less). Then the very next year after they add the new rule we get two head contact suspensions in the first six games of the year where both were in a situation where a guy lowers his head at the last second putting his head in-between his body and the man about to check him.

The exact same stuff happened the year after the Bina hack by paukavich (sp). Bina was the recipient of a totally malicious hit there. Then the next year after the rule changed, we had a bunch of majors against us in situations where a player turned his back to the checker at the last second.

I watch just about all of the Sioux games and I can tell you that at least in our games we received many more majors for checking from behind than our opponents did that year. And it, IMO, cost us a trip to the final game in St. Louis.

Further, someone tell me why a player can't just start playing with his head in a low position when he is in danger of being checked. Somebody like Cepis is going to figure that out just as fast as guys like him did with the spinning your back to a checker.

So that is our future, a Bunch of back spinning and head lowering cheap players getting hat tricks against us. Robby Earl would be envious!

• Upvote 1