SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs U OF. MANITOBA

AZSIOUX

There was a method to my PREDICTED D-corps pairings.

I wanted to leave MacWilliam and Blood together, seeing as they were together most of last year. Plus, it's just fun to see the two Bash Brothers out there going up against some of the better lines in the conference. Everyone knows Marto and LaPoint will be a pairing seeing as they have been for a couple years now (again, not sure if Marto can/will play Sunday, but if he can, he'll be LaPoint's partner).

So, that leaves the Genoway paring. I thought Forbort was the best choice. He has the size and defensive-mindedness to backup Genoway's offensive prowess, but Forbort also brings the offensive capabilities to complement Genoway's skills. Also, with Genoway being a [super] Senior, he'll be a good veteran presence out there to help Forbort get up to speed.

So, that leaves Simpson and Gleason out at the moment. Everyone knows Simpson is a stud, but he's still only 17, so that makes him a wild card right now. He may still need some developing, but he may be ready to dominate the WCHA from the get-go...I think he'll need a few months to adjust. Gleason is the odd-man out, but that's why he is now listed as a F/D instead of just a D. He's good enough to get playing time, so I hope we see him in there more than just a little.

Things will change so much during the game. You'll see a lot of the forward lines and defensive pairings change throughout the game, so this is more of a prediction for next week's opening Alaska Tourney than anything.

D Pairings, by Christmas, if not before:

Blood-Genoway

Lapoint-Marto

Forbort-Simpson

(both Forbort and Simpson will see time on PP)

Blood-Genoway

Lapoint-Marto

Forbort-Simpson

i dont see macwilliam missing many games. that being said who the hell knows as this is going to be a intersting side story to follow. i look forward to seeing the freshman skate in a game!

Blood-Genoway

Lapoint-Marto

Forbort-Simpson

I'm sorry but Mac will be in the line up every night. He was a pretty reliable dman as a freshman and never had any transition problems of playing at a higher level in the WCHA. He will not be sitting. Sorry bro!

Yeah,

1) You can't sit MacWilliam

2) You'd be making it pretty hard on your goalie to have two freshmen on the same D pairing...unless they got caught up to speed quicker than most rookie WCHA Defensemen (which is possible with their skill sets), so I doubt Hak would ever put both on the ice at the same time

I can't begin to guess who is going to sit at defense on a regular basis. With the depth at forward it doesn't seem likely that they will dress 7 defensemen, unless of course Gleason is in at forward/defense. I can guess that what seemed to be relatively minor bumps and bruises that were nagging injuries last year might be given an extra day or two to heal in light of the depth at defense, and that is a good problem to have.

That's just it...I don't think they'll have anyone on D sit on a "regular" basis. They have the makings of a very nice rotation, and should be covered nicely in the event of any lengthy injuries. Also, nobody should have to battle through the nagging stuff. This should lead to a nice healthy D-corps for the playoff push.

I just want to inject this into the conversation, I LOVE THIS PROBLEM!!!

I can see come March that we have 6 solid healthy Dmen. Not all banged up but in game shape and rested because they have been able to get a game off or even a series off when needed. Giving the irritating bumps and bruises a little more time to heal. No matter who we have out there we should be solid.

Jfr..I expect impacts from forbort and nelson all season! I also see Simpson coming along through the season. I see both he and forbort on the ice a lot in the end along with all the d men with a rotation. Although very small, this class is damn talented when rodwell isn't mentioned much and he will be a heck of a player for the green and white. Go Sioux!!

Mac and Blood will be laying guys out Fighting Sioux style!

From the UNDSID< it's a 6:07 start to allow more time between games.

Thanks that clears it up for me. :D:);) I had people asking me what time the game with and then I had to look for the answer because I had seen the two times.

And we're off: via Twitter

@SchlossmanGF

Kristo will be benched for the Manitoba game after getting cited for drinking underage.

Oh well, slap on the wrist. It'll give some of the less experienced guys more ice time anyways.

woopdy doo it's an exhibition. doesn't mean anything to sit this one out.

I understand it's just exhibition and will ultimately count for little. However, it is important to play at game-speed and not practice-speed before games start counting. Now he will miss that opportunity because a bonehead move. I'm sure he'll have a stellar year, but still...