SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting

Siouxhockey03

Oshie didn't know about UND's hockey program before he moved to Warroad?  WTF?  Was he playing soccer before he moved?  :huh:  ;)  Anyway, it's good that Cary Eades showed him the "True Path".  :p 

Anybody have the "stats" on this guy, such as G/A/PIM and if he's as big as most of guys Blais has been recruiting lately?

This site MNHSH stats has him w/ 56 points in 19 games. MN high school stats are pretty pointless because the teams have such different schedules. However, I would think Warroad plays a tough schedule. I haven't seen him play, don't know much about him other than he is one of many kids that mysteriously "moves" to Warroad during high school, and by "coincidence" he can play hockey.

This site rules, wonder who keeps all of these stats. Here is Moorhead's stats, Moorhead Stats very balanced scoring between the top two lines.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Spehar? WTF? Was Wooger coming out of Stub's at 2:00 am when he said that? I'm thinking the Broten boys, Bonin, Crowley, Leopold, Taffe, PMart, etc. would be better candidates than "Pinball" Spehar. :p:huh:

Spee was a purely one-way player who relied on other players to get him the puck.

He was too small to be strong on the puck and was easily frustrated when taking hits. Without Chris Locker to set him up, Spee would never have scored 3 HT's in 3 games at the HS tourney in 95.

Oshie is like a lot of the h.s. athletes around here (specifically football, basketball & baseball) who transfer to successful programs in order to get recognized & hopefully recruited--except in Oshie's case he transferred halfway across the country. No wonder he was clueless re: UND; but still, if he's a true college hockey aficionado he should know about the Fighting Sioux. Come on, T.J.!! Hell no it wasn't a coincidence he just happened to transfer to Warroad--just playin' the system :huh:

Welcome aboard, T.J.!

Oshie "playing the system"....Warroad has a tendency to do that!! Trust me......however, this Oshie kid has some excellent hockey skills......I think he'll develop just fine, and be a nice addition some day! Maybe doesn't have the great speed quite yet, but maybe give him time.......

Warroad should have a lock on the state tournament at the "Class A" level.

Oshie "playing the system"....Warroad has a tendency to do that!!

It's really common amongst a handful of elite h.s. 5A football teams here. Kids will transfer from across the valley to one of these winning schools. That's why every year you see the same teams in the playoffs-no small wonder. Might be similar to Danny Irmen who transferred from some Fargo school & played a year or so at Red River.

It's official now, dagies. You might wanna make a mental note of that moose97 (?) who stated this on USCHO before the rest of us knew. :p:huh:

It's common for students in Minnesota to enroll in different districts through "open enrollment", but Oshie moved from Everett, Wash.  to Warroad.

Warroad recruited long before open enrollment started.

Warroad hockey - "recruiting before it was fashionable" :huh:

Warroad's football roster listed TJ Oshie at 5'10" and 165.

He's listed there as a RB and DB.

And it's pretty common for rosters to have exaggerated stats: athletes are generally shorter & lighter when you actually meet/see them :huh: So my guess would be 5'8", 158 lbs. :p If Oshie were a boxer or wrestler, on the other hand, then I'd take these figures as gospel...

"JK"

on spehar....

Wasn't Goehring the goalie for Apple Valley for the championship between Duluth East, and Apple Valley? like 5 OT s to decide it??

Yes and no.

Geohring (Eric Westum & Brad Defaw were also on that team) was in goal against Duluth East, but it was a semi-final game. AV had to come back and win the champ game the next night. I think East came back to take third.

Oshie "playing the system"....Warroad has a tendency to do that!! Trust me......however, this Oshie kid has some excellent hockey skills......I think he'll develop just fine, and be a nice addition some day! Maybe doesn't have the great speed quite yet, but maybe give him time.......

Warroad should have a lock on the state tournament at the "Class A" level.

The funny thing on Warroad this year (along with every other year) is that they were already beating up on teams pretty handily and then some kids from Oregon or Alaska started playing the second half of this season. I know for a fact they tried getting some current East Sider's to go play for them the past few years. Wait, let me restate. They offered the parents jobs ;).

Warroad and the privates should play midgets or have their own state tourney.

No greater memory from high school then getting in trouble because of our numerous signs ripping on Warroad and their recruiting. Patrick Knutson still rules. ;)

The Anderson Windows Plexiglas signs around the rink. The American flags. People in the rafters chanting USA! USA! And of course "Diet Pill Will" from '95.

That same year (my freshman year was the aftergame brawl on the ice that lead to the locker room and outside with the fans. The subsequent letters to the Geraldo editor saying how naughty our fans were. Then the lectures on fan support. Man did teams hate playing East Side back then, and it was because of the fans!

Warroad and the privates should play midgets or have their own state tourney.

I'd rather see them and everyone in a single class tourney. The way it used to be.

Being from Minneapolis proper, it used to be a huge deal to make it to the regional semi-finals. The city teams didn't really have a chance going up against Kennedy and Jefferson, but it was an awesome place for hockey.

The old Met Center sold out numerous times for the regional tourneys, let alone all the other regional tourney's played across the state.

Oh well, March is coming! It is still the best time of year. ;)

The Anderson Windows Plexiglas signs around the rink. The American flags. People in the rafters chanting USA! USA! And of course "Diet Pill Will" from '95.

That same year (my freshman year was the aftergame brawl on the ice that lead to the locker room and outside with the fans. The subsequent letters to the Geraldo editor saying how naughty our fans were. Then the lectures on fan support. Man did teams hate playing East Side back then, and it was because of the fans!

I'm from Roseau, and believe me, I can tell you stories of some good rivalries......heck, one year, the section championship was Warroad vs. Roseau....I swore it was Roseau vs. an All - star selection of various players from Section 8 schools, and players from around the State....(oh wait, I think there were a couple "pure" Warroad players)

I've never seen so many job openings "open up" for parents with hockey players!

;)

Are you guys really all that bent out of shape with Warroad?? Firstly, let me say..i AM NOT from Warroad. Dont look at Oshie's size and weight to determine his skills..IF you have not seen him play..the kids a junior in high school, and was a stud on the championship team as a sophomore. Sioux would be lucky to sign him on...

he is from washington, and is directly related to Henry Boucha..for those of you who know who he is. i wouldnt cite recrutement as the sole..or even Main reason TJ went to play there. and before you criticize Warroad, why dont you jump on the players who willingly jump ship and go play for them...?

he is from washington, and is directly related to Henry Boucha..for those of you who know who he is. i wouldnt cite recrutement as the sole..or even Main reason TJ went to play there. and before you criticize Warroad, why dont you jump on the players who willingly jump ship and go play for them...?

Maybe there is a connection there, bottom line is they recruit BIG TIME, no if's, and's or but's. I think Oshie is an excellent player, and will do great for the Sioux.

Are you guys really all that bent out of shape with Warroad?? Firstly, let me say..i AM NOT from Warroad. Dont look at Oshie's size and weight to determine his skills..IF you have not seen him play..the kids a junior in high school, and was a stud on the championship team as a sophomore. Sioux would be lucky to sign him on...

The Warroad thing is kind of a long running joke in this area, I don't think anybody was bashing Warroad....except the poster from Roseau which gives him a legitimate reason to ;) . My uncle's family moved to Moorhead to further my cousin's hockey career, several of the schools in the cities do the same thing. The discussion on his size has nothing to do with his skill level, more about the type of player he is. Typical the smaller guys are the finesse players and the bigger forwards are the power players. This is an internet message board, no need to take things so serious. Try this