SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting

Siouxhockey03

Thought about adding this in a seperate post, but I'll put it here first. Could certainly be relevant in any section of this message board, as it pertains to a booster at Kentucky, who incidentally runs a "fan" message board for UK, that was banned for TWENTY SEVEN YEARS :glare: from contact with UK athletics. Sounds like he had been interviewing potential recruits and the NCAA didn't like that. Let's be careful out there.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow wow wow wow wow.

One begins to wonder if what you can and can't do.

Of course, his behavior appears to have gone beyond the normal fan's experience, but what about the interviewing was contrary to the rules?

From the UND website, here are the rules:

http://fightingsioux.com/info/booster/

Some of this seems confusing:

WHAT IS A CONTACT?

A contact is any face-to-face encounter between a prospect or the prospect's parents/guardians and an institutional staff member or athletics representative during which any dialogue occurs in excess of an exchange of a greeting. Any such face-to-face encounter that is prearranged or that takes place on the grounds of the prospect's school or at the site of organized competition or practice involving the prospect or the prospect's team shall be considered a contact, regardless of the conversation that occurs.

Yet

Do continue establishing family relationships with friends and neighbors. Contacts with prospects are permitted as long as they are not made for recruiting purposes and are not initiated by UND staff members.

?

I'm not sure why he was banned... 27 years is an extreme penalty. He must have done more than just talk to a couple of kids about their plans (gambling, printing false information, perhaps some back door "donations" to the kids). There has to be something more there, otherwise I see nothing wrong with it. Perhaps not having media credentials may have had something to do with it. :glare:

Lee's dad? I don't think so. Grandfather and a couple of uncles I believe it was.

I'd guess Andrew Hasbargen knows one of the womens team goalies. ???:glare:

I am not sure if you guys are familiar with the Hasbargen name, there is litterally hundreds of them in northern Minnesota. When I say hundreds its literally the truth. Most of them liive around Warroad, Indus and the Baudette area. So they are probably more than likely relatives.

There are some familiar names on that roster...

Aaron Marvin - related to Lee? I might be wrong but didn't Lee's dad play for UND also?

Andrew Hasbargen - Adrian Hasbargen relation?

Aaron Marvin is Mike Marvin's son, and yes, is related to Lee (all the Marvin's in Warroad are related and they own Marvin Windows, the Patch, etc.). Aaron is a sophomore. He's a good but not great player. The Warroad bantam team that he played on last year was mediocre. The Fargo Flyers went up and won their tournament last year.

The Hasbargen's are also related. They also have an Olimb on the team who plays defense and is good. The best on the team are Kyle Hardwick and Oshie. Hardwick has an older brother that plays for UMD, but Kyle appears to be much more talented.

Moorhead plays on Sat. night at 6 for anyone interested. With the exception of goaltending they are the most talented high school team I've ever seen. They have about 8 players that will play college hockey. 4 or 5 of those will probably be in a major D1 program. The only game they lost this year against Duluth East, they still outshot them about 3-1.

DB has been at a few games, scouts from colleges, the ushl and even chl have been at all of there games. Note I did not go to Moorhead so I'm not that biased, they really are this good.

Moorhead plays on Sat. night at 6 for anyone interested. With the exception of goaltending they are the most talented high school team I've ever seen. They have about 8 players that will play college hockey. 4 or 5 of those will probably be in a major D1 program. The only game they lost this year against Duluth East, they still outshot them about 3-1.

DB has been at a few games, scouts from colleges, the ushl and even chl have been at all of there games. Note I did not go to Moorhead so I'm not that biased, they really are this good.

Gifford was the player I heard to watch at Moorhead but I was told that he's missed most of the first half of the season due to mononucleosis (sp?). Nevertheless I am told he has great size and he is a potential 5th round draft pick ahead of Kyle Radke should he opt into the draft this year.

Gifford was the player I heard to watch at Moorhead but I was told that he's missed most of the first half of the season due to mononucleosis (sp?). Nevertheless I am told he has great size and he is a potential 5th round draft pick ahead of Kyle Radke should he opt into the draft this year.

Gifford is a forward, not sure how big he is, I haven't had a chance to see him this year. I think your thinking of the defenseman Lee. I think Lee was the MVP of the under 18 tourny last summer. The only knock against Moorhead is their size up front. They don't have too many forwards over 6 ft. From a fairly reliable source, I've heard the first choice for many on the team would be the Gophers.

From what I've seen the most talented forward on the team is Deutz, but he looks like he's about 5-8. Lee and another D-man, Ammermen?, are both very good.

I have also seen Moorhead play a number of times, and they are very talented. I don't know if I would go so far as to say they the most talented I have ever seen, but they are probably one of the top 3 AA schools in Minnesota, along with Eden Prairie and Centennial. Wayzata and Edina are also very good. Warroad, a class A school, is not far behind. They recently beat Roseau 15-1 and Crookston 15-0. They play Moorhead in Warroad this year, and I would not be surprised to see Warroad beat Moorhead if they can generate enough offense. Warroad is also good enough to win the Class AA this year.

Ammerman and Lee are juniors, and considered 2 of the top defensemen in the state. Barta is also good. Gifford, Oliver, Deutz (all seniors forwards) are all good, but I like Matt Becker, a junior. He is small, but very quick with great hands. For Warroad, Kyle Hardwick is a junior defenseman and is excellent. Oshie is also a junior forward and is very good.

Can anyone clarify my reading that one of the recruits (Duncan, I'm almost sure of it) is 5'6"??

Granted he's 17 years old, he'd be like our own Pittis...although some of UND's best players have been "midgets" :( Jeff P.!!

Seemed kind of strange when it's been clear that Blais has focused on size recently stronger than in previous years. I hear he's a hell of a player, and one of the best on SSM this year.

I was reading POI and they are talking about how a kid named Hardwick is leaning toward UND over UM and UMD! Any info on this guy.....how good is he supposed to be?

See my earlier posts. Kyle Hardwick is a junior in high school in Warroad. He has an older brother that plays for UMD, but he is much better. He is the real deal, probably further along than even Brian Lee and Jon Ammerman of Moorhead. The feeling is that he is good enough to come directly from high school next year to college.

I have also seen Moorhead play a number of times, and they are very talented. I don't know if I would go so far as to say they the most talented I have ever seen, but they are probably one of the top 3 AA schools in Minnesota, along with Eden Prairie and Centennial. Wayzata and Edina are also very good. Warroad, a class A school, is not far behind. They recently beat Roseau 15-1 and Crookston 15-0. They play Moorhead in Warroad this year, and I would not be surprised to see Warroad beat Moorhead if they can generate enough offense. Warroad is also good enough to win the Class AA this year.

Ammerman and Lee are juniors, and considered 2 of the top defensemen in the state. Barta is also good. Gifford, Oliver, Deutz (all seniors forwards) are all good, but I like Matt Becker, a junior. He is small, but very quick with great hands. For Warroad, Kyle Hardwick is a junior defenseman and is excellent. Oshie is also a junior forward and is very good.

I should clarify that I don't watch that much MN high school hockey. I did play against Moorheads 95 team, this team is much better. My bias would be my cousin plays for them, but they are the real deal. From what I've heard Warroad is a very good team. This weekend Moorhead travels to Warroad, anyone living in that neck of the woods might want to check out that game, you can always tape the Sioux-Gopher game, or be like my Dad and bring along the walkman. Hopefully my cousin can continue to progress and play for the Sioux, then I can at least live vicariously through him.

I believe Moorhead also plays Centennial later this year, it remains to be seen exactly how good they are.

Can anyone clarify my reading that one of the recruits (Duncan, I'm almost sure of it) is 5'6"??

Granted he's 17 years old, he'd be like our own Pittis...although some of UND's best players have been "midgets" :( Jeff P.!!

Seemed kind of strange when it's been clear that Blais has focused on size recently stronger than in previous years. I hear he's a hell of a player, and one of the best on SSM this year.

Don't be too concerned about that. It seems like a lot of us are getting midgets in the WCHA in the next year or two.

Oh btw, John Scott is going to have a wingmate at MTU to help him along in his thuggery. Axtell is 6'5 225 or there abouts (+/- 10 lbs).

But MTU, Gophers, and we are getting short guys. But ours is 1 inch taller (the others are all listed at 5'5")

See my earlier posts. Kyle Hardwick is a junior in high school in Warroad. He has an older brother that plays for UMD, but he is much better. He is the real deal, probably further along than even Brian Lee and Jon Ammerman of Moorhead. The feeling is that he is good enough to come directly from high school next year to college.

Sounds like it's time for big bro to step in and guide little bro to his destiny at UMD!! :(

• 2 weeks later...