SiouxSports.com Forum

One of the Foreseeable Results

DamStrait

I really thought that here, in North Dakota, there were more than enough "no-nonsense" types throughout the state population, as well as in government and other places of leadership, that this day would never come. I now realize that such demonstrably anti-democratic puerile lunacy is merely one of the foreseeable results, and evidence that we are beyond "the tipping point", of what has been building for quite some time.

When a person espousing such concepts as

I fear that all the Sioux tribes will have achieved in all of this is to hasten their march into obscurity, and earn the hatred and resentment of the majority of their neighbors.

The inability of the politically correct to see the true consequences of their actions appears to yet again be destroying something they believed they were fighting for. I will not mourn the transition away from Sioux names, customs, and culture in the Grand Forks community, or in the upper midwest.

John

I have two degrees from UND, have always supported the University, and am deeply saddened to see the name go. But, I can't fault the ND Supreme Court or the Board. Like it or not, the Supreme Court made the right legal decision on the issue which was presented. The decision, in the end, has little to nothing to do with the name being retired.

Also, what was the Board supposed to do? They were backed into a corner and there isn't an option to fight. To not change the name would cripple the University and athletics. To keep the name at this point would be cutting off our nose to spite our face, to say the least.

I completely agree that the political correctness is crazy, and that a very small yet very vocal minority should not guide the ship.

If I were a member of Standing Rock I would be outraged. No matter what the results of the vote would have been, the members as a whole should have had their voices heard. I see that as the biggest disappointment, and much more offensive than the name Fighting Sioux.

True to the name I believe we Fighting Sioux fought the good fight. The political climate was just too much to overcome.

RIP

Also, what was the Board supposed to do?

i'd say you answered your own question:

If I were a member of Standing Rock I would be outraged. No matter what the results of the vote would have been, the members as a whole should have had their voices heard.

in other words: wait for the vote or the november deadline, whichever comes first

Yes, merely one of the foreseeable results, a symptom, in other words, of the serious erosion of common sense, as well as the concepts of democracy and fairness upon which this nation was founded. Indeed it is a sad day for the

I am so upset by this that I don't know how to get the word out and not give up...

I pledged to give UND $100 a month for the next four months before this bombshell was dropped on us. I love UND and have great memories and received a wonderful education; in addition, I don't want to hurt the students or student athletes. However, I don't think the UND Admin will understand anything else because money talks and BS walks. I'm about ready to call the Alumni Association and rescind my pledge if at all possible and to have them take me off their call list.

No one can seriously believe that the SBoHE was the only player in this who acted in bad faith... the UND Admin were complicit in this all long and it's so patently obvious. I guess SR got it right... they had no faith in the SBoHE either. Frankly, the onus of this mess is squarely at the feet of the elite power structure in the world of Academia. I thought better of our leadership and was proven wrong. This is not the North Dakota I know and love. I hope there is still a way to fix this. I hope their is a legislative remedy still available. I would love to see someone, somewhere come to their senses and stop this ridiculous action.

I hope SR goes ahead and has a vote, even if it ultimately changes nothing. It will be salve on this old wound if they support the Sioux Name, and the Powers-that-Be end up looking like the Assh*oles I know they are.

I fear that all the Sioux tribes will have achieved in all of this is to hasten their march into obscurity, and earn the hatred and resentment of the majority of their neighbors.John

We should not condemn the Sioux tribes in entirety. I believe their support is widespread and they are also victims of the white, ultra liberal few and the fewer, radical Native Americans who believe they speak for the 'weak, oppressed, Indian' who they believe can't and should not speak for him/herself.

We should not condemn the Sioux tribes in entirety. I believe their support is widespread and they are also victims of the white, ultra liberal few and the fewer, radical Native Americans who believe they speak for the 'weak, oppressed, Indian' who they believe can't and should not speak for him/herself.

I don't blame the tribes one bit, I think the SBoHE let them down, and they should get a lot of our focus. Also, as an alum of UND I am not very impressed with Robert Kelly, this man is not a strong leader and I hope he is not long for UND, He looked giddy at the new conference yesterday. Like I posted earlier yesterday I had to turn it off because I thought my head was going to explode from listening to him.

I blame the educational elites that meddle in everyone

I am so upset by this that I don't know how to get the word out and not give up...

I pledged to give UND $100 a month for the next four months before this bombshell was dropped on us. I love UND and have great memories and received a wonderful education; in addition, I don't want to hurt the students or student athletes. However, I don't think the UND Admin will understand anything else because money talks and BS walks. I'm about ready to call the Alumni Association and rescind my pledge if at all possible and to have them take me off their call list.

Really can't argue with that. Donations are the bottom line concern the leadership has for alumni and the Alumni Association and the Foundation is the conduit. The Alumni Association and Foundation are one of the few vehicles in which alumni can decry the process as being a travesty of justice.

No one can seriously believe that the SBoHE was the only player in this who acted in bad faith... the UND Admin were complicit in this all long and it's so patently obvious. I guess SR got it right... they had no faith in the SBoHE either. Frankly, the onus of this mess is squarely at the feet of the elite power structure in the world of Academia. I thought better of our leadership and was proven wrong. This is not the North Dakota I know and love. I hope there is still a way to fix this. I hope their is a legislative remedy still available. I would love to see someone, somewhere come to their senses and stop this ridiculous action.

In the past I have been assaulted on this board for making these statements: but let me repeat them.

The Summit League instituting a policy to prevent UND from joining until the nickname was resolved was a major reason given by the SBoHE to change the name.

Summit League policy is made by Summit League Presidents.

A Summit President at the time the Summit nickname policy was adopted included NDSU's Chapman.

Chapman supposedly worked for and reported to the SBoHE.

The SBoHE never publicly questioned Chapman on the reasoning for this policy. Nor did the media. The focus was always on Douple, not on the Summit Presidents, who included Chapman.

So, either the SBoHE was incompetent in investigating the "why" of the Summit League policy - what was the true source. Which presidents were actually adamant? Certainly not Oral Roberts or Centenary or even Southern Utah. The SBoHE had an employee as a Summit League board member and yet did not seek insight into the matter? Incredibly incompetent. Or it did not seek to negotiate when it had one of it's own on the Summit board? Again, no leadership reveals incredible incompetency.

Or, with SBoHE having direct access to Summit League policy, the SBoHE was complicit in allowing the Summit League policy to stand.

It's one or the other:

The SBoHE was either incompetent in dealing with the Summit League - after all an "employee" was a board member - or it was complicit with it's actions.

Really can't argue with that. Donations are the bottom line concern the leadership has for alumni and the Alumni Association and the Foundation is the conduit. The Alumni Association and Foundation are one of the few vehicles in which alumni can decry the process as being a travesty of justice.

In the past I have been assaulted on this board for making these statements: but let me repeat them.

The Summit League instituting a policy to prevent UND from joining until the nickname was resolved was a major reason given by the SBoHE to change the name.

Summit League policy is made by Summit League Presidents.

A Summit President at the time the Summit nickname policy was adopted included NDSU's Chapman.

Chapman supposedly worked for and reported to the SBoHE.

The SBoHE never publicly questioned Chapman on the reasoning for this policy. Nor did the media. The focus was always on Douple, not on the Summit Presidents, who included Chapman.

So, either the SBoHE was incompetent in investigating the "why" of the Summit League policy - what was the true source. Which presidents were actually adamant? Certainly not Oral Roberts or Centenary or even Southern Utah. The SBoHE had an employee as a Summit League board member and yet did not seek insight into the matter? Incredibly incompetent. Or it did not seek to negotiate when it had one of it's own on the Summit board? Again, no leadership reveals incredible incompetency.

Or, with SBoHE having direct access to Summit League policy, the SBoHE was complicit in allowing the Summit League policy to stand.

It's one or the other:

The SBoHE was either incompetent in dealing with the Summit League - after all an "employee" was a board member - or it was complicit with it's actions.

Would Summit proceedings, or information derived from those proceedings in which Chapman was involved, be subject to ND open meeting laws?

Would Summit proceedings, or information derived from those proceedings in which Chapman was involved, be subject to ND open meeting laws?

No. The Summit includes two private schools: Oral Roberts and Centenary as well as schools from other states. It would take court action to obtain Summit proceedings.

Goon, that has always been my point, the effort and resources wasted by anti-nickname supporters will not in any way change the social conditions on the reservations.

There will still be rampant unemployment, lack of housing, teenage suicide, alcoholism, diabetes, teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, joblessness and every other type of

social evil in existence. But, by gosh, the nickname/logo being eliminated will be the initial step in irradicating those social evils, get real, the sorry living conditions on most of this country's reservation will not benefit one iota from such action. I for one am not convinced that this is the end of the Fighting Sioux, seems to me that the SBoHE still retains the ability to reconsider, given how absolutely ridiculous they will look after Standing Rock has voted. As for Kelley and Faison, those to disinterested people can go take a flying F.....

Goon, that has always been my point, the effort and resources wasted by anti-nickname supporters will not in any way change the social conditions on the reservations.

There will still be rampant unemployment, lack of housing, teenage suicide, alcoholism, diabetes, teenage pregnancy, drug abuse, joblessness and every other type of social evil in existence. But, by gosh, the nickname/logo being eliminated will be the initial step in irradicating those social evils, get real, the sorry living conditions on most of this country's reservation will not benefit one iota from such action. I for one am not convinced that this is the end of the Fighting Sioux, seems to me that the SBoHE still retains the ability to reconsider, given how absolutely ridiculous they will look after Standing Rock has voted. As for Kelley and Faison, those to disinterested people can go take a flying F.....

Actually I wasn't referring to just the Indian Reservations I am talking about our country as a whole. But yeah I agree.

No. The Summit includes two private schools: Oral Roberts and Centenary as well as schools from other states. It would take court action to obtain Summit proceedings.

The Forum hasn't been shy in the past about using the courts to gain access to info under ND open meeting laws. If we don't see something out of the Summit offices soon, here's hoping someone forces the issue.

The Forum hasn't been shy in the past about using the courts to gain access to info under ND open meeting laws. If we don't see something out of the Summit offices soon, here's hoping someone forces the issue.

From my understanding, some party with legal standing would have to sue the Summit League to see the proceedings of the Summit meetings. The Summit League is effectively a private entity. In this case, the Forum or other media don't have that right unless the Summit directly harmed them.