SiouxSports.com Forum

Summit

breakin face

I have always disliked this sport, the SBoHE's decision Thursday has given me one more reason. Their pointless rush to put this sport in an "auto-bid" conference has ruined a logo and tradition I have grown up with and loved. Why pander to a sport in which games can be won because a team elects to foul the opponent so they can't attempt a three pointer? Why pander to a sport where the last two minutes of the game take longer than the entire first half? Why pander to a sport notoriously known as pumpkin pushing? Why pander to a sport that has never brought a fraction of the income or recognition hockey and football have to the university? I don't get it, I'll continue to to bad mouth basketball and everything it stands for everywhere I go. In my opinion, it is the catalyst for the retirement of the greatest logo in sports. Why? So we can play IPFW instead of Mayville. Big f****** deal. Going 2-20 in the Summit or 4-16 in the Great West has the same relevancy in the grand scheme of things.

I have always disliked this sport, the SBoHE's decision Thursday has given me one more reason. Their pointless rush to put this sport in an "auto-bid" conference has ruined a logo and tradition I have grown up with and loved. Why pander to a sport in which games can be won because a team elects to foul the opponent so they can't attempt a three pointer? Why pander to a sport where the last two minutes of the game take longer than the entire first half? Why pander to a sport notoriously known as pumpkin pushing? Why pander to a sport that has never brought a fraction of the income or recognition hockey and football have to the university? I don't get it, I'll continue to to bad mouth basketball and everything it stands for everywhere I go. In my opinion, it is the catalyst for the retirement of the greatest logo in sports. Why? So we can play IPFW instead of Mayville. Big f****** deal. Going 2-20 in the Summit or 4-16 in the Great West has the same relevancy in the grand scheme of things.

Grow up.....

The nickname has been an issue on campus for ~50 years. While everyone is upset about the outcome of this, it is hard to put the blame for this on the basketball team. We have had decades of administrations that have not properly handled this situation. We have a SBoHE that did not put the proper effort into working with the tribes to keep the name. We have a tribal councle that was unwilling to let its members voice their oppinion.

There is plenty of blame to go around. But the basketball team really isn't the place to begin looking.

The nickname has been an issue on campus for ~50 years. While everyone is upset about the outcome of this, it is hard to put the blame for this on the basketball team. We have had decades of administrations that have not properly handled this situation. We have a SBoHE that did not put the proper effort into working with the tribes to keep the name. We have a tribal councle that was unwilling to let its members voice their oppinion.

There is plenty of blame to go around. But the basketball team really isn't the place to begin looking.

I blame the sport, not the team.

I have an education, I use punctuation and capital letters while forming complete sentences. You should try it.

Go write me a paper on the top ten reasons James Naismith is responsible for the loss of the "Fighting Sioux Logo"

Go write me a paper on the top ten reasons James Naismith is responsible for the lost of the "Fighting Sioux Logo"

There aren't 10 reasons why he's responsible, there is only one clear reason. He created a game that is the red-headed step child at this university. Getting this particular step child into an auto-bid conference has taken priority over maintaining the greatest logo in all of sports. If basketball was never created by Mr. Naismith our university would not be in this particular situation, the judgment would not have been rushed and the Standing Rock tribe ultimately would have passed a resolution allowing the use of the nickname by November 30, 2010.

There aren't 10 reasons why he's responsible, there is only one clear reason. He created a game that is the red-headed step child at this university. Getting this particular step child into an auto-bid conference has taken priority over maintaining the greatest logo in all of sports. If basketball was never created by Mr. Naismith our university would not be in this particular situation, the judgment would not have been rushed and the Standing Rock tribe ultimately would have passed a resolution allowing the use of the nickname by November 30, 2010.

I've read some stupid things on this forum, but this one's a whopper. The basketball bashing from you and others is getting old and tired.

Does anyone think he can recognize the irony in the nickname opponents being a vocal minority, as is his position on the sport of basketball?

If the two issues were the same, basketball would have been eliminated from UND Athletics yesterday by the Hated State Eight. :silly:

I agree, don't blame basketball.

If the two issues were the same, basketball would have been eliminated from UND Athletics yesterday by the Hated State Eight. :silly:

I agree, don't blame basketball.

I think that Tom Douple and the Summit League Officials have read this board and they realize that UND isnt a basketball school and that und fans have continually ripped on the summit league over the years. I can see Tom Douple saying "we dont want all of this media attention and anti-sioux rallies' and jerseys in our league" just my 2 cents. plus threads like this will further emphazise this dilemma.

College ice hockey: big f****** deal.

Now field hockey.... :silly:

I think that Tom Douple and the Summit League Officials have read this board and they realize that UND isnt a basketball school and that und fans have continually ripped on the summit league over the years. I can see Tom Douple saying "we dont want all of this media attention and anti-sioux rallies' and jerseys in our league" just my 2 cents. plus threads like this will further emphazise this dilemma.

Yep, that's exactly how it is. Thanks, lakes. :silly:

If you believe that Douple is sitting in his office right now reading Siouxsports or BV than

you128651021377679289.jpg

Stay classy though and keep coming on here trying to stir the pot when you have no dog in this fight.

okay summit league, come get us. every nickname opponent on this board for the past two years has been saying that und will get into the summit league as soon as we drop the nickname. well, nickname has been dropped so let's get the show on the road.

if school starts next fall and und is still not in the summit league when we had until november to resolve the the nickname issue, the sl tribe already approved the name, and sr looks like they would have easily had time to approve the name by november, then this whole thing was a huge failure on the part of und, the sbohe, and the nd supreme court.

the summit league was the whole reason this issue was rushed. had the summit league not said that they won't consider und for membership until the nickname issue was resolved, there's no way that any entity involved would have seen any reason to make a decision on the matter before the november deadline.

so, summit league, where do we sign?

krangodance, I don't think you're getting in.

ha. probably not. this whole thing was a joke.

let me sum it up: und must drop it's nickname and logo because it's offensive toward a group of people who have showed overwhelming support for the nickname and logo and who even threatened to sue the university if they tried to drop the nickname and logo.

somebody please point out the logic in that to me.

Somehow I knew that there would be people out here that would lay the blame on basketball. Again, basketball & hockey have both had their successful runs here at UND. I'm not even sorry that you have so much disdain for basketball, although a basketball player at some point in your life must have stole your girlfriend or wife, but if that's the way you feel fine, but it seems to be such a waste of energy to hold onto that much animosity directed at the sport of basketball. Oh well, I will still like hockey tho, is that ok? or is that not ok considering I like basketball too?

Somehow I knew that there would be people out here that would lay the blame on basketball. Again, basketball & hockey have both had their successful runs here at UND. I'm not even sorry that you have so much disdain for basketball, although a basketball player at some point in your life must have stole your girlfriend or wife, but if that's the way you feel fine, but it seems to be such a waste of energy to hold onto that much animosity directed at the sport of basketball. Oh well, I will still like hockey tho, is that ok? or is that not ok considering I like basketball too?

i'm not going to blame basketball for any of this because i think that's silly, but in my opinion, basketball is lame.

here's how every basketball game i've ever watched goes:

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

how bout some defense for crying out loud. boring sport (except the last minute and a half of some games)

i'm not going to blame basketball for any of this because i think that's silly, but in my opinion, basketball is lame.

here's how every basketball game i've ever watched goes:

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

score!

how bout some defense for crying out loud. boring sport (except the last minute and a half of some games)

here's how every hockey game I've ever watched goes:

did someone score yet? no

oh...wait a minute...something's happening!...oh that was offsides...

Seriously? Every sport has 'fans'. In other words, people who like that particular sport. All sport rules are completely arbitrary...why like any of them?

This whole hockey fans bashing bball thing is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. You feel so insecure about the (apparent lack of) commercial success of the sport you like that you feel the need to put down another, completely unrelated sport?