SiouxSports.com Forum

Is it time to Fire Hak?

Rick

If I remember correctly, Pairwise isn't normally up in the first half on uscho.com. So, if someone understands it and could figure that out...go ahead....it would take a lot of research i think though. As would league play, I don't even know where you would start to look....wikipedia?

Lucky for you, you asked the question in the right place. I calculate PWR anytime there are games being played (though it isn't particularly well-defined until early November). You can always get the current one at http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/pwr/ (or by clicking hockey/rankings/pairwise from the menus on the front page of SiouxSports).

However, I also save each week's ratings (PWR, RPI, KRACH, win/loss) from November onward. You can see the development of this seasons' PWR rankings here:

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/charts.php?team=0&compare=top10&rating=pwr

The graph is of comparisons won, but hovering over each data point shows you the ranking, the date, and the results of the most recent games (if any) that contributed to that week's move.

There isn't a nifty drop down box for it (I need to redo that page to make the charts a bit better, they're on basically 5 year-old technology now), but you can view past years by appending &season=2009 (or other) to the end, e.g.:

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/charts.php?team=0&compare=top10&rating=pwr&season=2009

I started saving the results in November from 2007 onward, but not until December for 2004-2006.

While we're on the topic, a mere couple hours before you asked, I also posted my first PWR analysis of the year Outlook for UND's end-of-year PWR.

Lucky for you, you asked the question in the right place. I calculate PWR anytime there are games being played (though it isn't particularly well-defined until early November). You can always get the current one at http://siouxsports.c...y/rankings/pwr/ (or by clicking hockey/rankings/pairwise from the menus on the front page of SiouxSports).

However, I also save each week's ratings (PWR, RPI, KRACH, win/loss) from November onward. You can see the development of this seasons' PWR rankings here:

http://siouxsports.c...op10&rating=pwr

The graph is of comparisons won, but hovering over each data point shows you the ranking, the date, and the results of the most recent games (if any) that contributed to that week's move.

There isn't a nifty drop down box for it (I need to redo that page to make the charts a bit better, they're on basically 5 year-old technology now), but you can view past years by appending &season=2009 (or other) to the end, e.g.:

http://siouxsports.c...pwr&season=2009

I started saving the results in November from 2007 onward, but not until December for 2004-2006.

While we're on the topic, a mere couple hours before you asked, I also posted my first PWR analysis of the year Outlook for UND's end-of-year PWR.

ahh! thanks!

Lucky for you, you asked the question in the right place. I calculate PWR anytime there are games being played (though it isn't particularly well-defined until early November). You can always get the current one at http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/pwr/ (or by clicking hockey/rankings/pairwise from the menus on the front page of SiouxSports).

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/charts.php?team=0&compare=top10&rating=pwr

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/charts.php?team=0&compare=top10&rating=pwr&season=2009

Something you do to fill the hours between 3 and 5 am?

What is Hakstol thinking starting the first half the year like this?? The Sioux are never supposed to be in first place at this point. Is he nuts?? He needs to go NOW!!

maybe he thought it was time to do things different for a change. I think he also has beating BC at the Frozen Four on his agenda for change this season well ;)

Not that I am for firing Hak, but he needs to get it done soon! This has been the longest dry spell since Gino came on board in the late 70's. Yeah I know that he has recruited great players and has made it to the Frozen Four 4 times but.........he hasn't won the big one. To me that means we have been mediocre during his tenure.....kinda what Wooger was to the Goophers! IF he doesn't get it done in the next 4 years (10 years in charge of the program), there will be a lot of validity to the Fire Hak thread!!!!

Not that I am for firing Hak, but he needs to get it done soon! This has been the longest dry spell since Gino came on board in the late 70's. Yeah I know that he has recruited great players and has made it to the Frozen Four 4 times but.........he hasn't won the big one. To me that means we have been mediocre during his tenure.....kinda what Wooger was to the Goophers! IF he doesn't get it done in the next 4 years (10 years in charge of the program), there will be a lot of validity to the Fire Hak thread!!!!

wow, how many great coaches would have been canned for not winning a collegiate national championship in x amount of years-coach k, dean smith, jerry york, red berenson. I think all these guys ended up winning more than one.

wow, how many great coaches would have been canned for not winning a collegiate national championship in x amount of years-coach k, dean smith, jerry york, red berenson. I think all these guys ended up winning more than one.

Not to mention that there is a lot more competition in college hockey now than there was before Gino took over. There were dominant teams a lot of years back then, not so much anymore.

Not to mention that there is a lot more competition in college hockey now than there was before Gino took over. There were dominant teams a lot of years back then, not so much anymore.

also Gino did have some down years, some real bad years in fact. Dean even had a down year-hak hasn't had that down year yet. has he won one yet-no. but we have been in postion to each of his years. not to mention the playoff format is a little more difficult now verus any of the title runs gino had or dean had. in all three of blais' frozen four trips they only had to win once to get the the frozen four.

This idea that it is so much harder to win a championship now is a real non starter to me. There are roughly the same amount of teams and one wins it all regardless of format. The odds are about the same as they ever were. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, Boston College and Boston U have all found ways to do it since we have (some 2 or 3 times). We were used to being the best team in college hockey year in year out and winning about once every 5 years. Winning championships is the standard we judge our coaches by. If we want to just count moral victories or pretty good years we might as well be St. Cloud.

• Upvote 3

Is there a developing player issue right now with Danny Kristo? We better be careful before Montreal labels us the next Golden Gophers...I mean Jonathan Toews excepted. :D

But in all seriousness, is this still the right place for Kristo to develop? Is the style not suited to him? I always think of him being an ideal QMJHL type player; He had a great rookie year statistically, but this year the points just aren't coming.

Is there a developing player issue right now with Danny Kristo? We better be careful before Montreal labels us the next Golden Gophers...I mean Jonathan Toews excepted. :D

But in all seriousness, is this still the right place for Kristo to develop? Is the style not suited to him? I always think of him being an ideal QMJHL type player; He had a great rookie year statistically, but this year the points just aren't coming.

Hanging out with TJ Oshie and living with him all summer certainly didn't help his development.

Hanging out with TJ Oshie and living with him all summer certainly didn't help his development.

Not quite sure what you mean there...

I think Danny Kristo has a ton of natural ability and some sick skills; I do sorta see some regression on his part. I thought he looked best 5 on 5 right after the WJC last year...

In terms of? Goal scoring? Ok, maybe so. Stick handling? He's got hands as good as anyone on the team. Speed? He's got it and it shows. So yeah, he's in a slump and isn't hitting the corners of the net, and many times tries to do it all himself, but honestly I like the way he plays. His pass to Trupp on top of the crease at Mankato was a perfect play. He works hard on each shift, isn't afraid to go into the corner for the puck, and every time I see him get open with the puck I look for something good to happen. That will come. Mr. Frattin was snake-bit his sophomore year, and there have been many others over the years. If Danny Kristo continues to work hard good things will happen and, with some good fortune, those things will be happening in March and April.

In terms of? Goal scoring? Ok, maybe so. Stick handling? He's got hands as good as anyone on the team. Speed? He's got it and it shows. So yeah, he's in a slump and isn't hitting the corners of the net, and many times tries to do it all himself, but honestly I like the way he plays. His pass to Trupp on top of the crease at Mankato was a perfect play. He works hard on each shift, isn't afraid to go into the corner for the puck, and every time I see him get open with the puck I look for something good to happen. That will come. Mr. Frattin was snake-bit his sophomore year, and there have been many others over the years. If Danny Kristo continues to work hard good things will happen and, with some good fortune, those things will be happening in March and April.

I hope you're right...I'd love to see Kristo bust out in the second half...maybe a hatty against the Goofs

This idea that it is so much harder to win a championship now is a real non starter to me. There are roughly the same amount of teams and one wins it all regardless of format. The odds are about the same as they ever were. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Denver, Boston College and Boston U have all found ways to do it since we have (some 2 or 3 times). We were used to being the best team in college hockey year in year out and winning about once every 5 years. Winning championships is the standard we judge our coaches by. If we want to just count moral victories or pretty good years we might as well be St. Cloud.

UND won in 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997 and 2000. That's 7 titles in about 63 years. They don

• Upvote 1

UND won in 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997 and 2000. That's 7 titles in about 63 years. They don’t win every 5 years, that’s just the image you choose to have of the program. They have had more than 1 championship within a 5 year period, and they have also gone double digit years between championships. The average is about every 9 years. Don't forget that Michigan has more titles, Denver just as many, Wisconsin only 1 back (in less than 40 years) and both Minnesota and BU only 2 back. We think that UND is the best program, but in reality it is one of several really good programs.

To be devil's advocate, a decade ago (pre-Hakstol) it was 7 titles in about 53 years for one every 7.5 years, Denver and Minnesota were a couple more behind, Wisconsin and BU another one back each. That's what makes the drought so hard, we used to be climbing up on Michigan and have a pretty commanding lead over our WCHA foes, but now that's evaporated.

Perfect! I hate the fact that we have a banner that lists all the Frozen Four appearances we have. Those years aside from the ones that we have a corresponding NCAA title banner are considered by most longtime fans as failures. Those (FF appearances) banners hang in the arenas to likes of Bemidji, UMD, and other teams that have never won the big one!

Mr. Frattin was snake-bit his sophomore year.

I don't know where you get your info but scoring 13 goals and having 25 points isn't "snakebit" in my book.

While Kristo has one goal for half the season. It is truly sad for a player of his suppose caliber after 15 goals last year.

Perfect! I hate the fact that we have a banner that lists all the Frozen Four appearances we have. Those years aside from the ones that we have a corresponding NCAA title banner are considered by most longtime fans as failures. Those (FF appearances) banners hang in the arenas to likes of Bemidji, UMD, and other teams that have never won the big one!

:silly: I noticed in the Goopher pregame on Friday night that Lapanta and Chorsky were infront of the RUNNER UP banners they hang! :silly: