SiouxSports.com Forum

Oil Booms in North Dakota

star2city

You hire contractors to work on your house. They don't use appropriate safety equipment and get hurt. Are you responsible for the injury? 

And then that contractor hired a subcontractor. And that subcontractor got hurt. 

Would the contractor be responsible.

That's what was discussed. No one is trying to to blame the "homeowner" for the injury in this scenario. 

If the subcontractor burns your house down the contractor is responsible. Because the homeowner hired the contractor not the subcontractor. The contractor can then try and make a claim against the subcontractor.

Edited by Cratter

And then that contractor hired a subcontractor. And that subcontractor got hurt. 

Would the contractor be responsible.

That's what was discussed.

No. The oil company hired a contractor and the contractor hired a subcontractor. John Oliver is trying to blame the oil company. 

The oil company has a moral obligation to its employees and contractors to have proper safety equipment available, like a means of egress, H2S monitors, and gas masks.  Far too many death have occurred in the ND oil industry.  The oil industry is by nature dangerous, whigh is why safety and environmental corners should not be cut.

Edited by SiouxVolley
  • Upvote 1

No. The oil company hired a contractor and the contractor hired a subcontractor. John Oliver is trying to blame the oil company. 

If the recent BP Gulf cases are any indication, you can sue everyone in the chain of work, especially if they contributed to the harm in some respect.

• 2 weeks later...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/geothermal-energy-could-soon-stage-220429027.html

This article says UND (dont know if it is EERC or the College of Mines) is testing technology that would generate $100,000 worth / yr / well of electricity from the hot boiling salty water that comes up with the oil.  Since most wells in the Bakken are on pads of 8 or 12, that could potentially mean $1 mill additional revenue per year for a pad, and much less need for new power plants.  Roughly three new power plants would not be needed in the Bakken if this is proven. 

Pretty good thinking and savings by UND people.  Oil companies will be thankful for the extra cash flow and hopefully trey remember who had the idea.

Edited by SiouxVolley

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/geothermal-energy-could-soon-stage-220429027.html

This article says UND (dont know if it is EERC or the College of Mines) is testing technology that would generate $100,000 worth / yr / well of electricity from the hot boiling salty water that comes up with the oil.  Since most wells in the Bakken are on pads of 8 or 12, that could potentially mean $1 mill additional revenue per year for a pad, and much less need for new power plants.  Roughly three new power plants would not be needed in the Bakken if this is proven. 

Pretty good thinking and savings by UND people.  Oil companies will be thankful for the extra cash flow and hopefully trey remember who had the idea.

I'd like to know a lot more about this. As someone who works with Bakken brine daily, I just have trouble getting past all the logistical issues this brine presents.

I'd like to know a lot more about this. As someone who works with Bakken brine daily, I just have trouble getting past all the logistical issues this brine presents.

Contact Will Gosnold or Anna Crowley.  Think that they are in the Geology or Petr Eng departments.  The brine almost certainly gets deep welled after its energy has been extracted.

• 1 month later...

without knowing a ton of specifics, i would guess to prevent scale precipitation.

What I was alluding to was the personal observation that all the wells I have worked on you can hold the flowline at the wellhead with no danger of burn or even discomfort.  Downhole temperatures don't seem to hold to surface.  I have the production water heated to prevent the contraction of steel when it is pumped into the well.  All the production water I pump has chemical added for scale inhibition, corrosion, etc.

What I was alluding to was the personal observation that all the wells I have worked on you can hold the flowline at the wellhead with no danger of burn or even discomfort.  Downhole temperatures don't seem to hold to surface.  I have the production water heated to prevent the contraction of steel when it is pumped into the well.  All the production water I pump has chemical added for scale inhibition, corrosion, etc.

how far upstream is the water getting pumped into the system?

I have not been on a well that is part of a water flood system for several years, but those wells were warmer but not so warm to require any care at the wellhead which is where any fluid would be at it's highest temperature at any  point above surface.  Are they suggesting a downhole contained system?  It has been a while since I read the article.   

• 1 month later...

A new diesel refinery was announced for Belfield.  It would be three times the size of the one in Dickinson.

Also, the proposed $4 bill ethane cracker has been further increased in size.  Still no word on its location.  With the man camps about to be closed down around Williston, Williston itself may be a good bet now.