SiouxSports.com Forum

Boston College at UND

PCM

farce, if you recall last season versus Ferris State we had CCHA refs. They called Ferris for diving and I think it was Sweeney, went ballistic, saying "They called diving on Ferris State! THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED!"

You are absolutely right. Diving is legal in the WCHA. Especially if you are the visiting team. I'm almost convinced the reason it is so lopsided here in GF is because they don't want to make it appear like there is too much of a home ice advantage for UND. Therefore the visitor gets all the breaks (diving and holding the stick are two very common non calls from last night). Hell, I thought I was going to give out an Oscar to one BC player who dove right infront of their penalty box against the boards. Usually when a guy gets hit or hurt, he goes down fast or slides down the wall if he backed into it. This guy actually tilted his head, leaned over, and did the "tree fall" We actually had time to yell timber! before he hit the ice. WOW! No call.

For all you Sioux fans reading this boards, Anderson (if this is the same Anderson I'm thinking of) is historically WORSE on the second night. If you are a BC fan reading this board, get ready for some major help from the refs.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Postgame thoughts after Saturday.

In a word, FRUSTRATING.

Our skating and own-zone coverage continue to be very good. BC got nuthin 5x5, not Friday and especially not Saturday. I believe this will hold true for the entire season; 5x5 nobody's gonna get nuthin against the Sioux defense.

Schneider is a rock. Ryan Hale looks more comfortable all the time, and his big hit Friday seemed to wake up the team. Smaby looked markedly better this weekend than vs. UMD. Jones just needs to get healthy, I don't know if he's hurt but he looked a half-step slow.

Faceoffs are another bright spot ... if we can continue winning over 60-65%, especially on special teams, that will be huge.

PK was good AGAIN. See above points on faceoffs and own-zone play. McMahon was very good AGAIN.

I'm sure everybody will have suggestions about how to improve the Sioux powerplay. Of course, there's the obvious ideas - - use Alaska's powerplay, go to Home of Economy and buy a new one, next time take the yardage.... ;)

I think its time to consider using 2 defensemen on the PP point - if only to cut down on the @#$% shorthanded goals against. (I am still royally piffed that Anderson didn't call Gionta for tripping Fuher - ARRRGGH - not only should BC not have had a goal, we should have gone 5x3.)

Our only problem last night was with the puck. Passes were half-step behind, half-step too far in front, guys zagged when the pass zigged, tip attempts just missed a stick (Bucks right in front). Some of this is because there's a rookie on each line, but some as Blais noted were guys with their head not totally in the game.

Jake was good. Made a couple excellent saves, and made all the routine ones. Hope he can continue that.

All in all, a very frustrating night. At least we won the game Saturday that comes with a trophy.

How many times did you all count the puck slide ever so slowly to the open net side...and nobody was there in time to knock it in (I had 36). If we can knock it in a few times we win the game. Also, 0-20 on the PP is unacceptable with the talent we have on that unit.

I thought that security guard was going to take my head off when I dropped Fluite's hand last night. Ok, so maybe not, but she sounded a little annoyed to be picking it up....again (The other times weren't me, I swear).

BTW......Peter Forsberg dives less than most of the BC players, and at least he is a little convincing.

Looked to me that the best scoring chances on across the crease passes hopped sticks on what would have been sure goals, and there were several.

Ice problems again? Sure appeared to be tough to get a pass to slide flat, especially around the nets.

I think its time to consider using 2 defensemen on the PP point - if only to cut down on the @#$% shorthanded goals against.

Ageed! I have wondered for a very long time why Lundbohm is on the point, especially when you have Schneider, Fuher and Jones who will at least shoot from the point. Lundbohm had many chances to shoot, but too often attempts to stickhandle around defenders or force it down low when there is nothing. Lundbohm also does not hold the puck in very well at the point and does not have the speed to catch up if a pass is intercepted. To me, that is the major problem with the powerplay. You have 2 of the best defensemen in the league in Schneider and Jones and neither is one the 1st powerplay unit. Perplexing.

Bucks' amazing scoring notwithstanding, I think Quinn Fylling's play has to rank among the team's tops thus far. His hustle and intensity is outstanding. He played the forecheck extremely well against BC, and was in the corners hard both nights. He's becoming a very fun player to watch.

I thought that security guard was going to take my head off when I dropped Fluite's hand last night. Ok, so maybe not, but she sounded a little annoyed to be picking it up....again (The other times weren't me, I swear).

Ah, so that was you. I had Flutie sieve the goalie the night before, which resulted in his hand flying off a few times.

New to this board. I am a UNO Mav by heart but I was able to watch some of the UND/BC game on Friday. What a great game. Very impressive...great hustle...never give up attitude...well coached...physical. Just wanted to give kudos to the fans at UND. I have even set up a trip to come to the game vs Yale. Traveling to GF for the UNO/UND football game and I want to take in the REA. I can't wait.

Ah, so that was you. I had Flutie sieve the goalie the night before, which resulted in his hand flying off a few times.

What was funny was that the police officer looked at me and gave ME the glare she should have given forecheck :D

To make matters more interesting, the police officer after the Saturday game came all the way to warn me not to spit on the refs. Do people actually spit on the refs? Why? All it does is get them wet. I'd rather go to my acquaintence who happens to be on the WCHA board and get his ass fired or at least insist on a formal apology to Blais and the team.

On a different note: Everyone should check this article on USCHO out:

http://www.uscho.com/news/2003/10/20_007085.php

Interesting story all around and the last paragraph is pretty interesting as well.

Forecheck: I saw you holding up the "Eaves-dropping" signs both games. Funny how Anderson played into our hands by calling our D-men for that, huh? What was the deal with the Flutie in the stands? I couldn't see it from where I was sitting. I meant to hand you some cash when I dropped the signs off Friday night. I'll pay you if you drop by my office.

To make matters more interesting, the police officer after the Saturday game came all the way to warn me not to spit on the refs. Do people actually spit on the refs? Why? All it does is get them wet. I'd rather go to my acquaintence who happens to be on the WCHA board and get his ass fired or at least insist on a formal apology to Blais and the team.

On a different note: Everyone should check this article on USCHO out:

http://www.uscho.com/news/2003/10/20_007085.php

Interesting story all around and the last paragraph is pretty interesting as well.

At the Saturday UMD game last year, a "fan" spit on Shephard as he exited the ice after the third period. No, it wasn't me.

Forecheck: I saw you holding up the "Eaves-dropping" signs both games. Funny how Anderson played into our hands by calling our D-men for that, huh? What was the deal with the Flutie in the stands? I couldn't see it from where I was sitting. I meant to hand you some cash when I dropped the signs off Friday night. I'll pay you if you drop by my office.

I really didn't have much of a chance to hold up your signs, unfortunately. I thought they were funny though!

We just went the cheap way with the Flutie cutout, so don't worry about paying me Yane. :D PCM printed his face off the computer, and i made a homemade cardboard figure with a Sioux jersey over it. He was supposed to be the "enlightened" Doug Flutie as a Sioux fan, alternately waving at the crowd and, um gesturing toward the BC players. Unfortunately he got annoying for me to hold during the game, and PCM said he looked so lifelike it was hard to discern him from the students from a distance. It was a bust.

And here I thought I was special. Well now I could go around saying that they had a police officer restrain me from tearing Anderson's head off. :D

What a waste of spit. If you are going to get the ref wet, pour your bottle of water on him. Make sure he doesn't forget you :(

Forecheck, Do you have anything planned for the Yale games? Would it be "incorrect" to mock the AD of Yale regarding his yapping at Tim H. while Tim was doing the broadcast last year? :(

AHAHAHA! That was the funniest radio broadcast I have ever heard! Someone should just wear boxing gloves in the crowd and hold up a sign calling Tim H. out. :D Was it actually the AD who was asking Tim to step outside?? I guess I thought it was just a fan sitting in front of him.

Either way, freaking hilarious!

Ahh, yes and then all the Yale fans got their undies in a bunch because their Vienna Boys Choir players got in a fight that was caused by the big, mean Sioux. They couldn't help themselves but fight back and it was all Matt Jones' fault. Jonesy is such a thug. :( That game was great, fights in the stands, fights on the ice, fights everywhere. :D

Would it be "incorrect" to mock the AD of Yale regarding his yapping at Tim H. while Tim was doing the broadcast last year? :(

No, I say we take the idea and run with it. Maybe...(Insert AD's name here), I'll step outside, biatch!!

Or something to that effect. :D

If you want it displayed behind the box, I'll be happy to take it again.

Here's another idea...thought bubble to place behind the box. Suggestions on what to say....

Here's another idea...thought bubble to place behind the box. Suggestions on what to say....

Wild fans did that in the playoffs last year against Vancouver, but I think it was a thought bubble for the coach that said "We're gonna lose" . It was hilarious. :D

It should obviously be something that makes the player look stupid ("Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb" or "Matt Greene is a meanie head" or "I could go for a big juicy Oscar Meyer weiner right now") I don't know, I can't think right now. Supposed...to...be...doing...homework...

Wild fans did that in the playoffs last year against Vancouver, but I think it was a thought bubble for the coach that said "We're gonna lose" . It was hilarious. :(

It should obviously be something that makes the player look stupid ("Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb" or "Matt Greene is a meanie head" or "I could go for a big juicy Oscar Meyer weiner right now") I don't know, I can't think right now. Supposed...to...be...doing...homework...

The Vancouver series was where I got the idea. I think it said "I can' tbelieve we're gonna lose."

What about:

Why did I get into it with Prpich/Greene/Schneider/Smaby? I'm screwed/dead.

If someone wants to hook that up that be cool. I would, but I'm not artistic at all.

forecheck...homework is overrated :D

"I'm with Stupid -->" High-lari-i-ous, Forecheck. I'd be willing to make signs again. Let's all put our twisted evil minds to it and come up with three or four great ones. We could play off the high price of an Ivy League education:

"2:00 for Hooking

$35,600 for tuition" *

*Edited for inflation