SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ GOPHERS

AZSIOUX

The Fighting Sioux are heading into Minneapolis after sweeping MSU and Minnesota is coming off a home sweep vs the smaaaaaat kids from Harvard. The Sioux are 3-0-1 in their last 4 games after struggling a few weeks right away without star defensemen Chay Genoway and the Gophers have won 7 of their last 9 games after a 4 game skid in November. The Sioux are 4-0-2 in their last 6 games vs Minnesota including a 4-0 win and 3-3 tie this last October in Grand Forks........ Go Sioux!!

Sioux Injuries - Genoway, Hextall 4-5 weeks, Knight 4-6 weeks

PAIRWISE RANKINGS as of 1/10/10 - sioux #9 and gophers make first visit into top 25 in a long while at #25

WCHA STANDINGS

und.gif

Overall Record: 12-6-4 (.636)

WCHA: 8-6-2, 18 points

Home: 7-2-3

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minnesota may or may not be a good team as of late...their recent record says yes, their overall record says average. Either way, a big weekend may be the extra spark these guys need to have another dominant second half run. A bad weekend may kill those hopes and dreams this time around.

Minnesota may or may not be a good team as of late...their recent record says yes, their overall record says average. Either way, a big weekend may be the extra spark these guys need to have another dominant second half run. A bad weekend may kill those hopes and dreams this time around.

Agree...this coming weekend plus the following 2 will tell us where this team really is. We just took 4 points from 'kato and we are still 6th in the league (WI has 2 games in hand). Playing a lower seeded league team again this coming weekend in UMn requires us to get of the majority points! A split will do us little.

BTW...Knight says after Fri. game he's "ok". Brad states he's out 4-6 weeks and "probably longer".

Agree...this coming weekend plus the following 2 will tell us where this team really is. We just took 4 points from 'kato and we are still 6th in the league (WI has 2 games in hand). Playing a lower seeded league team again this coming weekend in UMn requires us to get of the majority points! A split will do us little.

BTW...Knight says after Fri. game he's "ok". Brad states he's out 4-6 weeks and "probably longer".

Hextall and Knight were sitting up by us last night, wearing matching ankle boots. :lol:

Gophers are 5-1 in their last six games. However, their five wins came against teams that have won a grand total of 8 games this year, combined. Michigan Tech (3), Bowling Green (3), and Harvard (2). The loss was against Northern Michigan, which has won 9 games.

How great a boost would it be to get number 5 back for this weekend's games...you gotta believe he wants to play, so if there is anyway that he can go, he'll be in the lineup.

No doubt.

Same thing with #10 and #26. :lol:

If the Sioux can get 3-4 points this weekend, it would really open up a gap between the top 6 teams in the league and the 7-10 teams. Plus, it would put the Sioux in good position to get home ice, if not a top 3.

Regardless of how good or bad the Goofers have played to this point you can bet they will be working hard for next weekends series. Team records aside these two teams tend to have a pretty tight match up. I do give the Sioux the advantage but MN has some dangerous players. I think Lucia has done a pretty bad job this year of utilizing the tools he has.

I'll be there Sat, can't wait for some good hockey. Go Sioux, Get 4.

How great a boost would it be to get number 5 back for this weekend's games...you gotta believe he wants to play, so if there is anyway that he can go, he'll be in the lineup.

I would count on Chay not playing this weekend. His condiction hasn't improved enough to play.

not gonna happen. that aside this team has started to prove it can play and WIN without him let's keep the momentum going this weekend.

Is Chay even able to skate much (much less scrimmage) while he is recovering? If not, it seems like it will take him a while to be game-ready anyway.

not gonna happen. that aside this team has started to prove it can play and WIN without him let's keep the momentum going this weekend.

If he isn't able to play by the DU series, that's the last weekend in Jan., when does he and the coaching staff consider calling it a year? It's a mute point if he has no intention of taking a medical hardship year. He'd have to get into game shape plus getting him back into the rotation mix. Just a thought?

If he isn't able to play by the DU series, that's the last weekend in Jan., when does he and the coaching staff consider calling it a year? It's a mute point if he has no intention of taking a medical hardship year. He'd have to get into game shape plus getting him back into the rotation mix. Just a thought?

Agreed. If Genoway isn't able to play by the end of this month against DU, I bet the coaching staff/Genoway would think long and hard about having him apply for the medical hardship. With a week off after the DU series, that would put his return at mid-Feb at earliest if he came back after that. That's probably not how he envisioned his senior year going...playing in the first 9 games and then maybe the last 9. Sure, it would create a big logjam next year at Defense, but man would that team be impressive.

Agreed. If Genoway isn't able to play by the end of this month against DU, I bet the coaching staff/Genoway would think long and hard about having him apply for the medical hardship. With a week off after the DU series, that would put his return at mid-Feb at earliest if he came back after that. That's probably not how he envisioned his senior year going...playing in the first 9 games and then maybe the last 9. Sure, it would create a big logjam next year at Defense, but man would that team be impressive.

There are reasons some of these kids come back for their Sr. year...wouldn't suprise me if he considers a medical hardship.

Interesting... we want #10 back after many here said that he's a disappointment and probably should be best for fighting for ice time. Huh.

Fienhage has been very reliable after his first few games, as predicted.

As for Chay... I really don't know what goes into a recovery plan. I know he's been doing some light skating (or at least that's what I've read here and on Brad's blog) but Hak said it hasn't gone well. But can he condition? That's a great question.

The Sioux had a pretty good weekend, not great on Saturday, but well enough to win. Eids played well.

I am not sure at all what to expect this coming weekend. Injuries, inconsistent play.... Gophers figuring out how to play hockey...

It will be an interesting series. I think we can win on Friday. Saturday, however, that's teh question mark. We're still (healthy or not) not a good second game team.

My poor excuse for prediction will be UND takes 3. UND on Friday and tie on Saturday.

I'd be as giddy about 3 points vs. UM as my 4 yr. old was when she got Dippin' Dots last night! :lol:

Wow.

I've seen kids faces when those things happen. Will you be jumping up and down and pull a Pitino? You know... running around the REA concourse looking for someone to hug? ;)

Wow.

I've seen kids faces when those things happen. Will you be jumping up and down and pull a Pitino? You know... running around the REA concourse looking for someone to hug? :lol:

There were a couple of hotties below us that a guy wouldn't have had a hard time chasing around the concourse! Just don't remember them looking quite like that when I was at UND! WOW is definitely the correct term.