SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickle Trophy

Bisonfan1234

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the series really stops, I can't imagine anyone's really going to care for more than a year or so. What happened to the Sitting Bull trophy when we quit playing for it? It's probably at one of the schools, but is more of a historical remnant than a coveted trophy. 20 years from now if UND and NDSU haven't played each other since 2003, the students simply won't care about a trophy from a long-dead rivalry. Because the winner of the final contest would still be interested in the trophy at that time, they would rightfully take it and likely end up the long-term keeper.

I think the odds of this actually being the last meeting between UND and NDSU are infinitesimal, but that's a whole different thread; I'm just playing along with the hyopthetical situation required for the conversation.

What happenes to this after this game?
The winner will be awarded the Nickel Trophy. Someone may try to pilfer it.

Maybe we'll melt it down and remold ....

That is utter blasphemy no matter who possesses it after the game. On that I suspect all true fans of the rivalry will agree.

i think we should get to keep it until you decide to play us again. If that's never, so be it.
Sure, winner keeps it because that's how it works; however,

We'll just hang on to that baby for all eternity.

I'm agreed with jimdahl on that. The series may well take a year or two off, but "eternity" is pretty hypothetical in my view as well.

If UND thinks they can beat us when we're D1AA then i laugh! The only chance they have is to go up to D1AA themselves...and with their small budget tehre is no way they can upgrade all their sports AND have hockey. Hockey just sucks up SO much money with all the travel etc.

If we win it and you don't schedule us again, i think we will damn well do as we please with it. Melt it down, or perhaps we'll make a display out of it and charge Grand Forks' people $27.50 to see it.

and with their small budget tehre is no way they can upgrade all their sports AND have hockey. Hockey just sucks up SO much money with all the travel etc.

While attacks on the popularity of hockey at UND draws the guffaws from some of your fellow NDSDSU fans (almost as funny and creative as intentionally misspelling Sioux and incorrectly not capitalizing proper names), here you're going to have get your facts right. Hockey is revenue positive for UND (tremendously) so UND has more money to spend on other sports because of its hockey program than it would otherwise have. The revenues of over 250,000 tickets sold per year at the new REA are already benefiting athletics throughout UND; take the new REA Sports Center as evidence.

If UND thinks they can beat us when we're D1AA then i laugh! The only chance they have is to go up to D1AA themselves...

This is why they play the games on the field; anything can happen. No doubt a D-IAA school paying full scholarships should be heavily favored against a D-II team, but ask Montana how laughable it is for the game to go the other way.

While attacks on the popularity of hockey at UND draws the guffaws from some of your fellow NDSDSU fans (almost as funny and creative as intentionally misspelling Sioux and incorrectly not capitalizing proper names), here you're going to have get your facts right. Hockey is revenue positive for UND (tremendously) so UND has more money to spend on other sports because of its hockey program than it would otherwise have. The revenues of over 250,000 tickets sold per year at the new REA are already benefiting athletics throughout UND; take the new REA Sports Center as evidence.

This is why they play the games on the field; anything can happen. No doubt a D-IAA school paying full scholarships should be heavily favored against a D-II team, but ask Montana how laughable it is for the game to go the other way.

I understand what you're saying and it makes sense. The REA is obviously the one of the best hockey areana's in the USA, maybe the world. I know nothing about the REA sports center...i'll just assume it's a new field house to replace the crumbling Hyslop.

So, if you have more money NOW than you did before the REA...what's stopping you from dropping useless sports like tennis and swimming and taking the rest to D1 status?

Are you just scared?

Also, believe it or not, i already though of this. The reason we won at Montana is coaching. In fact the reason our season has been going so well in the first place is coaching. Sure we had plenty of talent here, but we got even more talent that the new coaches recruited (Stauss, Summerville, Ware) and they installed a system that has been successful. Basically we have a D1A coaching staff. UND on the other hand has a D2 caliber staff with little or no D1 experience that i'm aware of. That would be the difference. Your coaches (they are good, no question) would have to earn their D1 experence after UND went D1, hypothetically, while our coaches already have lots of D1 experience. Montanna maybe the best team in D1-AA, but our coaches were not intemidated as they'd all seen teams much better.

So, if you have more money NOW than you did before the REA...what's stopping you from dropping useless sports like tennis and swimming and taking the rest to D1 status?

Are you just scared?

It's not my decision. I am actually a little scared of the thought of a big shakeup in an athletics program with which I'm pretty pleased and of the possibility of having to reduce athletic opportunities (as you suggested would be necessary); however, accomplishment requires taking risks and I'm personally strongly in favor of studying a reclassification. There's plenty of fan talk about whether UND should formally study D-IAA in the D-IAA forum, which would probably be the correct place to further pursue this topic so we can keep it separate from the football talk for people who are sick of the subject.

Back on topic -- I agree, the winner holds the nickel and does what they want with it. Destroying it immediately would probably be shortsighted because it would require the belief that there's no chance of the rivalry resuming. Fortunately, I doubt the administration of either institution is quite that rash. As I suggested above, a few years out, I doubt many people would care.

Are you just scared?

Is UND scared?

Yes, but not of what you'd like to think.

Any discussion of the issue must include compliance to not only the NCAA but Federal Law, namely Title IX.

If you read NDSU or SDSU's Carr Reports, Title IX is a concern for both of them as well. Dropping "useless" sports like those mentioned is asking to be sued. Not having them will foul up the gender equity part of the equation. Carr actually pointed out the lack of womens tennis at NDSU as a possible future problem.

Plus, to maintain said equity you have to add a womens scholarship for each new football or other mens scholarship (per Carr Report).

All of this comes down to scholarships (or more simply, money). I'd rather see UND taking a measured approach to make sure the finances are in order.

Hockey eats up the budget? 256,591 at $15 per seat is more than the $1.8 MM they spent on hockey last year, by $2 MM. Hockey is the engine.

Alright i get the idea. With as much money as you make with hockey then you guys shouldn't be scarred of money.

Also if you're worred about not enough women scholorships then get rid of men's scholorships.

Honestly, you could probably get rid off all men's sports except for hockey, basketball, and football, which are the true money-makers. The rest of the sports probably don't make money at all and have very low fan turn outs. NDSU is a little different, mainly we don't have hockey, and instead we have wrestling which makes good money for us. All those other sports are just to be nice to athletes who play them in high school and want to play them in college.

With all those scholorships gone, surely you could get football 63, 20 to hockey, and 20 to bball. So there you have it. And once your programs get on their feet fincancially you can start adding programs back in.

I think NDSU should do the same.

The magic number is 14. It's either 7 mens/7 womens or 6 mens/8 womens sports with a minimum of two team sports for each gender.

NDSU currently has 14 but DI counts track indoor and outdoor track separately so at DI NDSU would be at 16.

UND is currently at 18 and would be at 20 if counted under the DI system.

What happenes to this after this game?

Well, I guess the Bison can keep the "Nickle" trophy, whatever that is.... The Sioux will, of course, retain the Nickel Trophy.

Jeez, you would think ever since Microsoft moved into Fargo someone there would learn how to use spellcheck! ;)

The magic number is 14. It's either 7 mens/7 womens or 6 mens/8 womens sports with a minimum of two team sports for each gender.

NDSU currently has 14 but DI counts track indoor and outdoor track separately so at DI NDSU would be at 16.

UND is currently at 18 and would be at 20 if counted under the DI system.

Well then we should have only the minimum amount with the most resources going to fball and bball. Girls and guys golf i could easily see go.

Sic,

Title IX takes alot more into account than scholarship equity. Equal practice opportunities, comparable facilities for men's and women's sports, etc. What I am saying is there are a lot of ways to "get around" Title IX. I also believe most universities are not in full compliance right now, but have shown the NCAA they are willing to take steps into assuring athletic opportunities for women. I don't think Title IX is as big a hurdle as some make it out to be.

Well, I guess the Bison can keep the "Nickle" trophy, whatever that is.... The Sioux will, of course, retain the Nickel Trophy.

Jeez, you would think ever since Microsoft moved into Fargo someone there would learn how to use spellcheck! ;)

I ain't so good at spelling, but you got the idea.

You're assuming the Bison are going to win, huh? That's pretty bold, considering how they've been dominated by the Sioux for the last decade. The last time I heard such arrogant boasting from the NDSU fans was 2001... and we all remember what happened.

LoL! your're living in a dream world. Like to commercials say, it's a new day. We have a new staff and new talent. It's our time baby!

I think the team that owns the Nickel Series best record should be able to keep the trophy. Or wait, I mean the team that owns the all-time series should keep it. My bad, in either of those instances UND would be able to keep it. Check the records, they dont lie.

Nickel Series Wins

UND - 32

NDSU - 29

All-Time Series Wins

UND - 61

NDSU - 45

3 Ties

I actually got that off the Turd Burglars web site.

Just a little fun, that's all. ;)

Nickel Series Wins

UND  -  32

NDSU  -  29

If you visited more reputable sites, you'd know the Sioux have won the nickel 34 times (options abound, really). ;)

(Edit -- removed some observations on seasons in which the Sioux and Bison have played twice because I'm now somewhat satisfied; an explanation of how each of those years was resolved is on the nickel page linked above).

Is this for real? The only thing funnier would be if bisonfan1234 was bisongrad1234. :(

On another note, in one of the fishwraps today they were talking about the history of the nickel and the many times that students attempted to steal it. The article stated that on 1 occasion NDSU students dressed as janitors were able to steal the nickel.....I believe that this report is in error. They were not actually dressed as janitors...........they were actually interning. :p:);)