SiouxSports.com Forum

Step forward for indoor facility

gfhockey

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that works out good cause Memorial Stadium already has a track around the football field just like UND's new indoor practice facility will.

The long term land use plan (dream?) is to use part of Memorial Stadium as a base for building a new football stadium. The new indoor training facility would be next to that facility. My guess is that they want to build a complete new indoor facility now so that they can still be using it in the future if they can raise the money to build the football stadium. If they just put a dome over Memorial now they would have to build 2 facilities in the future if they wanted to have a new football stadium.

The long term land use plan (dream?) is to use part of Memorial Stadium as a base for building a new football stadium. The new indoor training facility would be next to that facility. My guess is that they want to build a complete new indoor facility now so that they can still be using it in the future if they can raise the money to build the football stadium. If they just put a dome over Memorial now they would have to build 2 facilities in the future if they wanted to have a new football stadium.

Additionally, there is no such thing as an indoor 400m track.

The sport of indoor track uses a 200m track, although some schools have built 300m tracks (including the proposal for UND's facility).

Until someone does one. ;)

I was wrong, there is one I know of: http://www.thealaskadome.com/index_sports_trackfield.php

Anchorage has what essentially amounts to exactly what Cratter was suggesting: an air supported dome over a standard outdoor 400m track with an artificial turf infield.

But back to my main point: the NCAA sanctioned, official "indoor track" sport does not use a 400m track, like outdoor does. I don't know why it works that way...that's just how it's been AFAIK. They use a 200m track and have different events.

I remember hearing about that facility in Alaska when I was up there for the series against the Seapups. I think it could make a big difference for high school football up there. That weekend they were hosting the high school senior football all-star game, the first ever indoor game as a trial. It seemed to have gone pretty well and could extend their quite short season. I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing a few more kids coming out of there even to the FCS level. Might be something good to store away.

• 5 weeks later...
A new look for the indoor facility? There are two images of the Indoor Complex in the projects area of Icon Architects that I hadn't seen before. They are near the end of the flash presentation. Sorry, I don't know how to post images from a flash presentation. :silly:

http://www.iconarchitects.com/Flash/

Looks nice. Would the field adjacent to the stadium and indoor facility be turf or grass?

• 1 month later...

If/when this facility is built it will be a huge draw for the UND track & field teams. 300 meter tracks are very rare in the country...as in, there is only one other one at Iowa State. Big time programs from across the country will be coming to meets at UND nearly every weekend for the indoor track season. I hope this gets built and is done well!!!

If/when this facility is built it will be a huge draw for the UND track & field teams. 300 meter tracks are very rare in the country...as in, there is only one other one at Iowa State. Big time programs from across the country will be coming to meets at UND nearly every weekend for the indoor track season. I hope this gets built and is done well!!!

With the nickname change, there won't be nearly the donations coming in. Who's going to pony up? Phil Jackson?

IMHO the nickname sets this back 5-10 years.

With the nickname change, there won't be nearly the donations coming in. Who's going to pony up? Phil Jackson?

I disagree. The likely donor(s) for this project wouldn't be the ardent nickname supporters. Sure the athletes who put on a Sioux uniform wear it with pride, but football has always used the interlocking logo on the helmets and North Dakota on the front of the jersey. The Sioux name and logo aren't used, as they are in hockey. As such the football boosters aren't as vested in the name (IMO) as the hockey boosters.

I would think that when UND requested approval of the project that they had potential donations in the pipeline. Kelley and Faison would have to know the position of the donors and the likely result of potential donations due to a name change.

Allow me to be blunt:

We on this forum are not the "movers and shakers" who provide the major donations to build things like this. Sorry, we just ain't.

However, I know a few of those types of folks and most of them are sufferers of "moniker fatigue".

And, they also saw how Mr. Engelstad was treated after giving a significant donation and stating his support of the moniker. No one wants to be treated that way.

I, honestly, wouldn't be surprised if this freed up some donations from folks who want to provide a significant gift but who also want to avoid being virtually tarred and feathered the way Ralph was, and continues to be.

Think about it: If someone comes in with a significant gift in the next year they are in the white hat, on the white horse, providing aid and comfort in UND's time of need. Everybody wants that perception of themselves.

This is incorrect.

I know for a fact that Akron has one and that Youngstown is building one. There should be a few others as well.

But certainly what you said is true, it would be a great benefit to UND athletics (let alone the T&F teams).

The nickname will have zero impact on donations to the athletic department. If anything, as Sic points out, donations may increase.

I disagree was well. I know the communication with a lot of the major donors for this project has been going on for some time and they've covered everything with these people, including the possible name change. Name change won't set it back.