SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. Northern Iowa

bincitysioux

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds bad but I don't see how this team could have lost to Mayville.

Exactly. We are not shooting the ball very good but we aren't being beat in every area like we did against Mayville. Makes you wonder.

Edit: I guess we are shooting 43% which isn't horrible. This is just a strange game.

I didn't see the game today--did Josh Schuler actually play, or was it just a mistake in the box score showing that he played 3 minutes (and thereby gave up his red-shirt status)?

I wasn't at the game, but I watched on TV last last night. I didn't notice him get in there. With everyone now healthy, I wouldn't think they'd have put him in there.

I wasn't at the game, but I watched on TV last last night. I didn't notice him get in there. With everyone now healthy, I wouldn't think they'd have put him in there.

It had to be a mistake in the box score. You'd think such a radical move would have warranted mention in the Herald, and there was none.

Schuler was on the bench in street clothes. As you all are aware I am very pro the coaches and players. They need time but my patience is running alittle thin with this zone defense. Every team has torched us with wide and I mean wide open threes. This game a kid that averged 2 pts/game made 7 threes for 21 points. Its time to switch to some sort of man to man defense. All these players are about the same size so lets have a switching man to man defense. It will definately not allow wide open threes and that is what is killing this team, besides scoring hardly any points.

Schuler was on the bench in street clothes. As you all are aware I am very pro the coaches and players. They need time but my patience is running alittle thin with this zone defense. Every team has torched us with wide and I mean wide open threes. This game a kid that averged 2 pts/game made 7 threes for 21 points. Its time to switch to some sort of man to man defense. All these players are about the same size so lets have a switching man to man defense. It will definately not allow wide open threes and that is what is killing this team, besides scoring hardly any points.

12-19-09

114 NCAA DI games were scheduled...the lowest team point totals are as follows:

34 Eastern Washington

39 Shorter College (NAIA)

41 Alcorn

41 Gonzaga

41 Jackson State

41 NORTH DAKOTA

44 Bryan College (NAIA)

44 Delaware State

46 UMES

48 Vassar (NAIA)

48 Mt St Mary

49 Chicago St

49 NIU

49 Ball State

49 USF

49 Occidental College (NAIA)

UND and Occidental College were the only teams listed above that were not playing on the road.

Sagarin now has UND at number 345 out of 347 dI teams. I'm guessing Houston Baptist--one of the two teams ranked below us--is anxious to prove they belong at that coveted 345 spot. :silly:

What's really sad is that UND is rated 5-10 points less than half the Summit League, which is horrible at the bottom this year. Centenary lost a bunch of players because it's going DIII, yet it would be a five point favorite to UND. NDSU has dropped about 200 spots on the ratings (so much for their perpetual power in Men's BB theory - gone the way of their football power) , to about where we were last year. Yet we dropped 60-70 spots ourselves. :)

263 UMKC = 65.25 4 4 66.94( 336)

277 IPFW = 64.36 2 6 76.08( 55)

279 North Dakota State = 64.29 2 6 71.29( 219)

288 Centenary = 63.78 3 6 70.17( 261)

311 Southern Utah = 60.86 1 8 73.27( 144)

319 Western Illinois = 59.32

As in any Sport it becomes a a issue of execution when the lights come on. Then it gets further complicated when the opposition (again any Sport) makes adjustments and takes away what you are trying to do. I have seen more experienced Coaches than Brian and the boys have trouble with this. Mac at ISU right now is struggling to get his players to understand how to react and play the team game of basketball. Obiviously the better the talent you have, the more mistakes get covered up......

We do need better players and to learn how to compete more consistently.....imo

What's really sad is that UND is rated 5-10 points less than half the Summit League, which is horrible at the bottom this year. Centenary lost a bunch of players because it's going DIII, yet it would be a five point favorite to UND. NDSU has dropped about 200 spots on the ratings (so much for their perpetual power in Men's BB theory - gone the way of their football power) , to about where we were last year. Yet we dropped 60-70 spots ourselves. :silly:

A little off-topic, but do you happen to know why Massey ranks all college football teams regardless of division, but apparently only ranks dI basketball teams? I was curious about how the computer would rank UND relative to NSIC/MIAC/DAC teams, but as of now Massey doesn't include non-dI's: http://www.mratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb

What's really sad is that UND is rated 5-10 points less than half the Summit League, which is horrible at the bottom this year. Centenary lost a bunch of players because it's going DIII, yet it would be a five point favorite to UND. NDSU has dropped about 200 spots on the ratings (so much for their perpetual power in Men's BB theory - gone the way of their football power) , to about where we were last year. Yet we dropped 60-70 spots ourselves. :silly:

wow..that's a sad list of Basketball teams.....and we are the worst of the bunch...

I will say it once..I will say it a thousand times..Jones has to GO!!!!!!!

A little off-topic, but do you happen to know why Massey ranks all college football teams regardless of division, but apparently only ranks dI basketball teams? I was curious about how the computer would rank UND relative to NSIC/MIAC/DAC teams, but as of now Massey doesn't include non-dI's: http://www.mratings.com/rate.php?lg=cb

Don't ask, don't tell. I think many of those teams would be above UND.

wow..that's a sad list of Basketball teams.....and we are the worst of the bunch...

I will say it once..I will say it a thousand times..Jones has to GO!!!!!!!

Yep, I'm so glad that one of the biggest arguments for changing the Sioux name early is to "get our basketball teams into the Summitt". Sure makes sense to push a lousy team, into a lousy conference, at the sacrifice of the Sioux Men's Hockey Team.

Yep, I'm so glad that one of the biggest arguments for changing the Sioux name early is to "get our basketball teams into the Summitt". Sure makes sense to push a lousy team, into a lousy conference, at the sacrifice of the Sioux Men's Hockey Team.

Sorry, I don't buy that the hockey team will be affected that much, and don't see how they will be sacrificed. People are still going to attend the games, the Ralph isn't going anyplace and the team will still have the equipment they need. Donations will probably decrease for a while if the name is changed, but I don't think it will be as bad as some imagine. And the fortunes of the basketball team could change quickly. In basketball you only need 2 or 3 good players to make a huge difference. Making a major decision that will affect the future of the entire Athletic Department based on a bad basketball team this year is very short sighted. Getting into a regular conference is very important for the future of the basketball teams, volleyball, soccer, track, baseball, softball and other sports.

We could keep the name...when Minnesota and Wisconsin bolt for a Big Ten conference they could choose not to play UND.

Sorry, I don't buy that the hockey team will be affected that much, and don't see how they will be sacrificed. People are still going to attend the games, the Ralph isn't going anyplace and the team will still have the equipment they need. Donations will probably decrease for a while if the name is changed, but I don't think it will be as bad as some imagine. ...

In fact I would guess a large majority of UND fans are ready to move on. While there always will be die-hards, I think most fans -- though they celebrate the nickname -- are weary of the battle, understand the implications and are ready to respectfully retire the nickname and, with reservations, transition to the future. I've never understood the "nickname>>>university" crowd.