SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ DENVER

AZSIOUX

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea if the Friday game will be available for satellite viewers?

If your a subscriber of Dish you should be able to get the game. I'm assuming if your not in the region you'd need to have a sports package from them to get all the FSN channels. As for DirecTV, I'm not sure if they get FSN Rocky Mountain.

I'm not 100% positive though since I'm just a cable subscriber. ;)

Cheverie is listed as "doubtful" for the UND/DU series this weekend according to this release:

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewArticle....TCLID=204834991

No mention of the status of Wiercioch.

But if he is ready I won't sweat heavily since he'd be rusty since he hasn't played or probably practiced in how long? Now if it was a healthy Cheverie then I would be sweating bullets lol.

If your a subscriber of Dish you should be able to get the game. I'm assuming if your not in the region you'd need to have a sports package from them to get all the FSN channels. As for DirecTV, I'm not sure if they get FSN Rocky Mountain.

I'm not 100% positive though since I'm just a cable subscriber. ;)

But if he is ready I won't sweat heavily since he'd be rusty since he hasn't played or probably practiced in how long? Now if it was a healthy Cheverie then I would be sweating bullets lol.

You know, something I've been wondering....all the fuss about UND hockey going "national" with the FCS tv coverage and all....why isn't there a larger effort to get big away games on the tube back here, like the series coming up with Denver. I know it's early, but this could have a lot of ramifications on the end of year situation. It is on Fox Sports Rocky Mt., so there is coverage to be picked up. Money reasons? Maybe, but as a D-1 program, I would think sponcership could be found.

You know, something I've been wondering....all the fuss about UND hockey going "national" with the FCS tv coverage and all....why isn't there a larger effort to get big away games on the tube back here, like the series coming up with Denver. I know it's early, but this could have a lot of ramifications on the end of year situation. It is on Fox Sports Rocky Mt., so there is coverage to be picked up. Money reasons? Maybe, but as a D-1 program, I would think sponcership could be found.

It is all about the money. Depending on whether a produced broadcast is available to be picked up, and how it can be transmitted, the costs can vary a great deal. But it all costs a lot of money. And Grand Forks advertisers are being spread pretty thin right now. Finding a lot more money to pay to broadcast a lot more games could be tough. The great thing about the FCS package is that UND got a huge boost in distribution with absolutely no cost (as far as we know). The signal was already going up to the satellite and FCS just had to grab it and distribute on their network.

Very true, the past couple of seasons when the Sioux played Wisconsin in Madison, FSSN in conjunction with Midcontinent et al have been picking up the FSN Wisconsin(or affiliate that televises the games in Madison) feed. Don't know what would be the difference in picking up the feed from FSN RM. Then again, since only one game in Denver is being televised maybe they don't find it feasible to do? ;)

per brad, funny

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

DU posts funny promo video

I logged onto the Denver's Web site to watch the press conference with George Gwozdecky this afternoon and a promo video popped up. First, it's for the women's basketball team. Then, it gets into this weekend's hockey series against UND.

Rhett Rakhshani tells Denver fans to come out to watch some great hockey, great skill and competitiveness... "and maybe if you're lucky, our coach will walk across the ice to the penalty box."

Go to DenverPioneers.com to watch it. Pretty funny.

As for the press conference, Gwozdecky said that Denver goalie Marc Cheverie has been doing light skating and his availability for this weekend is still up in the air. He said that it will be up to the medical personnel. He also said that defenseman Patrick Wiercioch's status in up in the air. Wiercioch was hurt during Denver's last game two weeks ago. Freshman defenseman Matt Donovan should be good to go, Gwozdecky said.

UND has its press conference tomorrow afternoon.

DU Injury Update:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13803648

They have 3 injured players evidently. Cheverie, Wiercioch, and Donovan.

Donovan is expected to play.

Cheverie had his first "light" practice with equipment on yesterday.

Wiercioch hasn't practiced since the UAA injury.

wiercioch is a flat out player! kids dam good. if they are both out for the whole weekend lets hope the sioux can take advantage

Yep it would be classic gamesmanship

Goon, as usual - your insights are good.

Gwoz has been known to get into serious coach-speak about injuries.

That said, even if the Cheverie and Wiercioch are ready by Friday, Chevy will have been out 3 weeks, and Wiercioch out two weeks without practice at game speed. I would wonder how effective they will be.

I would be very surprised to see both play, slightly surprised to see one play, and not at all surprised if both are out.

DU has had bad injury luck this year so far, and lot's of guys have missed key games...

I doubt Genoway plays. Hakstol & Co. never seem to rush anyone back if they don't deem it ok for the player's health. I think Big Joe could have played much sooner last year than he did, but they didn't want to potentially kill Joe's longterm health or career over it.

per brad, funny

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

DU posts funny promo video

I logged onto the Denver's Web site to watch the press conference with George Gwozdecky this afternoon and a promo video popped up. First, it's for the women's basketball team. Then, it gets into this weekend's hockey series against UND.

Rhett Rakhshani tells Denver fans to come out to watch some great hockey, great skill and competitiveness... "and maybe if you're lucky, our coach will walk across the ice to the penalty box."

Go to DenverPioneers.com to watch it. Pretty funny.

As for the press conference, Gwozdecky said that Denver goalie Marc Cheverie has been doing light skating and his availability for this weekend is still up in the air. He said that it will be up to the medical personnel. He also said that defenseman Patrick Wiercioch's status in up in the air. Wiercioch was hurt during Denver's last game two weeks ago. Freshman defenseman Matt Donovan should be good to go, Gwozdecky said.

UND has its press conference tomorrow afternoon.

One would think a weekend series with #2 v. #3 wouldn't need gimmicks to fill seats. Sioux sweep and the city of Denver hardly notices.

One would think a weekend series with #2 v. #3 wouldn't need gimmicks to fill seats. Sioux sweep and the city of Denver hardly notices.

When a city has teams in all 4 major professional sports, plus several Division I programs in the area, a college hockey game ranks a long way down the list of interest for the average sports fan, much less those that aren't into sports. I would guess that the University of Denver is only the 3rd or 4th most popular college in Denver and that football and basketball teams from those other schools would rank above UD hockey.

Goon, as usual - your insights are good.

Gwoz has been known to get into serious coach-speak about injuries.

That said, even if the Cheverie and Wiercioch are ready by Friday, Chevy will have been out 3 weeks, and Wiercioch out two weeks without practice at game speed. I would wonder how effective they will be.

I would be very surprised to see both play, slightly surprised to see one play, and not at all surprised if both are out.

DU has had bad injury luck this year so far, and lot's of guys have missed key games...

I am thinking the same thing but you never know with Gwoz, You have to give the guy credit a coach doesn't win 500 games and not have a clue. The man is a good coach. We will see what happens.

When a city has teams in all 4 major professional sports, plus several Division I programs in the area, a college hockey game ranks a long way down the list of interest for the average sports fan, much less those that aren't into sports. I would guess that the University of Denver is only the 3rd or 4th most popular college in Denver and that football and basketball teams from those other schools would rank above UD hockey.

You proved my point.