SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs UC Davis

SiouxMD

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 UC Davis Schedule

Sep 12, 2009 vs Montana L 10 - 17 (The Griz barely beat the lowly Bengals of Idaho State)

Sep 26, 2009 vs Western Oregon W 29 - 13 (5-5 DII)

Oct 3, 2009 at Boise State L 16 - 34 (Our Texas Tech...PUSH)

Oct 10, 2009 at South Dakota W (OT) 24 - 23 (Overtime? Against the Yotes?)

Oct 17, 2009 vs Winston-Salem State W 45 - 14 (The Rams are 1-8)

Oct 24, 2009 at Portland State W 34 - 31 (The Vikings are 2-8)

Oct 31, 2009 at Southern Utah L 35 - 56 (UND lost by 25...PUSH)

Nov 7, 2009 vs Cal Poly W 23 - 10 (The Aggies should thank UND for softening up the 'stangs the week prior...)

UND can win this game...GO SIOUX

My concern with this game is that UCD's strength is its QB and short passing game, which is something UND has failed to defend well all season. The Aggies aren't great defensively, but they do defend the run pretty well and UND will have to run the ball to have a chance. With Landry's erratic passing and the lack of depth at receiver I don't think UND can throw the ball all day long and win. UND has had trouble creating offensive momentum in every game this season (outscored 75-32 in the first quarter of games) and my hope is that the coaching staff will pull out all the stops (trick plays, etc.) to get an early score and get some momentum going.

One part of the game I am a bit optimistic about is in the punt return game. Mersereau was terrific last week and UCD has been awful all year long on punt coverage, allowing over 14 yards per return. SUU killed the Aggies with a couple of big punt returns and I'm hoping UND can capitalize on this weakness. Of course this also means forcing punts, and since UND has allowed an awful 49% conversion rate on 3rd down attempts this season, that may be easier said than done. :)

All in all, UND should be competitive in this game IF they can stay in it early. That's why I think it will be so important for UND to do something (i.e., big return, long pass, trick play) to create momentum and confidence early on. As long as UND is still close into the second quarter, I like the chances that the Sioux can stay in it and possibly win the game.

It will be tough coming out here to play the game, especially since only one team has won a GWC game on the road this year. I think it will be close, but the Ags are taking the title outright. The Sioux will go back to the dome unhappy.

What is going on with the whole mascot debate anyway? Has all of that been resolved? Are you staying the Fighting Sioux or is it going to change to something else?

You should be. Ken Massey has them ranked ahead of you too. :)

The Massey Rating dropped UND 21 spots this late in the season after the close win vs SOU. I don't believe UND has ever been rated this low in the past 10 years - typically UND is more in the 100-120 range. If it's any consolation, Central Arkansas rating is dropping almost every week and is not nearly the team it was last year. UND might have a better shot and match up better vs UCA than against UCD.

It will be tough coming out here to play the game, especially since only one team has won a GWC game on the road this year. I think it will be close, but the Ags are taking the title outright. The Sioux will go back to the dome unhappy.

What is going on with the whole mascot debate anyway? Has all of that been resolved? Are you staying the Fighting Sioux or is it going to change to something else?

Read all about it under the "Sioux Name" forum which is under the "UND Community" section. That should keep you busy for...oh...most of the day.

The Massey Rating dropped UND 21 spots this late in the season after the close win vs SOU. I don't believe UND has ever been rated this low in the past 10 years - typically UND is more in the 100-120 range. If it's any consolation, Central Arkansas rating is dropping almost every week and is not nearly the team it was last year. UND might have a better shot and match up better vs UCA than against UCD.

We're the lowest-ranked Great West team, and also ranked lower than former NCC football schools Central Washington, UMD, Mankato and UNO. We're also not far ahead of Bemidji State. :)

I really like the UND sports website, you've got interviews up there etc. etc. it looks really, really good. I'm also jealous that you not only have a hockey team, but a perennial NCAA contender.

You are welcome to be a Fighting Sioux hockey fan even if you support another school for other sports. Fighting Sioux hockey has fans around the country.

Really.........?

We're playing for a conference championship in football in 2 days and we're trying to convince fans of the opposition to become UND hockey fans?

Really........?

:)

No wonder UND is the first of 5 former NCC schools to not experience an attendance increase at home football games during the DI transition.

Really.........?

We're playing for a conference championship in football in 2 days and we're trying to convince fans of the opposition to become UND hockey fans?

Really........?

:)

No wonder UND is the first of 5 former NCC schools to not experience an attendance increase at home football games during the DI transition.

I have 3 season tickets for football and 4 for hockey. I haven't missed any of the home football games this year, and there probably aren't a lot of people that can say that. If someone shows an appreciation for the UND program, whether it's an opponent or not, I'm not going to put them down. If a football opponent likes our hockey team, or vice versa, I can appreciate that. There are such things as friendly rivals (nothing like the relationship with the school to the south). They brought up hockey so I just tried to get them switched to our side. I'm pretty sure that little exchange had absolutely nothing to do with the attendance at UND football games this year.