SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs ST. CLOUD ST.

AZSIOUX

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to 4 SCSU games this year and they have could have a pretty decent team this year, but are not consistent . Ben Hanowski, a Frosh, has impressed me so far. Their goalie situation has been interesting. Goalies Dunn and Lee have been sharing that duty with Lee playing a few more games lately. There was so much hype about Lee and so far he hasn't done what the local here thought he'd be doing, shutouts and a lot more wins. Roe continues to perform great dives and gets plenty of opponents sent to the box due to his performance. Looking forward to coming up to GF and watching a Sioux sweep which will keep my coworkers quiet until the Sioux come back to St. Cloud.

I have been to 4 SCSU games this year and they have could have a pretty decent team this year, but are not consistent . Ben Hanowski, a Frosh, has impressed me so far. Their goalie situation has been interesting. Goalies Dunn and Lee have been sharing that duty with Lee playing a few more games lately. There was so much hype about Lee and so far he hasn't done what the local here thought he'd be doing, shutouts and a lot more wins. Roe continues to perform great dives and gets plenty of opponents sent to the box due to his performance. Looking forward to coming up to GF and watching a Sioux sweep which will keep my coworkers quiet until the Sioux come back to St. Cloud.

The Roe diving thing will be decided early on Friday. If Roe gets hit and dives and it results in a penalty, he'll do it ALL weekend long. Who would blame him? There is no in-game reward for ethical behavior outside of staying out of the box. Diving is a rule that isn't called (unless there is an offsetting minor) in the WCHA.

So why not dive? Chris Porter figured that out. Robbie Earl made it an artform. Garrett Roe is just another example.

I don't believe (other than Earl) that diving is something that players prepare for and go out with every intention to perform. I DO believe that the players are smart enough and quick enough to figure out what the refs are and are not going to call and how to manipulate that to his (and his team's) advantage.

A competent officiating crew that calls the rule book and isn't afraid to call diving would produce different results. I'm positive Roe and Porter (while with UND) would never dive if they knew that they'd get called for it.

The WCHA officiating system is broken. Use it to your advantage or it will be used against you for sure.

UND WILL (guaranteed) spend time in the box due to Roe's diving this weekend. Count on it.

As for Lee... He's a freshman. He'll come around.

I like the move by Hak. Let the best players play. When Fienaghe played this year he didn't look good or comfortable. Gleason on the other hand looks great! It goes back to last year, Eids starting over a senior Walski. Let the best man play, players have to earn their spots.

I thought Fienhage and Gleason would be splitting time every weekend to start the season but it hasnt worked that way for 2 reasons. #1 Gleason has done nothing to lose his spot, but #2 and more importantly they need Gleason on the Power Play. I hope Fienhage gets in there soon and gets some playing time cause you never know when someone may go down with an injury. Last weekend Minnesota was almost down to 5 Dmen but Loftquist made it back from his injury. Which made me think maybe loftquist wasnt really hurt hes just not good enough to make their lineup.

When should we start the thread that Gleason is better than Ness?

The Roe diving thing will be decided early on Friday. If Roe gets hit and dives and it results in a penalty, he'll do it ALL weekend long. Who would blame him? There is no in-game reward for ethical behavior outside of staying out of the box. Diving is a rule that isn't called (unless there is an offsetting minor) in the WCHA.

So why not dive? Chris Porter figured that out. Robbie Earl made it an artform. Garrett Roe is just another example.

I don't believe (other than Earl) that diving is something that players prepare for and go out with every intention to perform. I DO believe that the players are smart enough and quick enough to figure out what the refs are and are not going to call and how to manipulate that to his (and his team's) advantage.

A competent officiating crew that calls the rule book and isn't afraid to call diving would produce different results. I'm positive Roe and Porter (while with UND) would never dive if they knew that they'd get called for it.

The WCHA officiating system is broken. Use it to your advantage or it will be used against you for sure.

UND WILL (guaranteed) spend time in the box due to Roe's diving this weekend. Count on it.

As for Lee... He's a freshman. He'll come around.

Diving in hockey is just like faking a charge in basketball, I've seen a few people warned but I can only remember one time where I actually saw someone T'd up for faking a charge. It's pretty much a no-downside maneuver, and like you said, who can blame them for using it if it works?

But actually what I was thinking was that this could be something for the student section to jump on, make about 8 or 10 posters, each 2 foot square with a number on them like they do at diving or gymnastics meets...9.6, 8.4 , 5.2 (from the Russian judge), etc...and have the row over the penalty box hold them up after the first diving penalty. Just crossed my mind and thought it might be amusing.

it will be interesting to see what happens with fiehnage. hes a 3rd round draft pick (81st overall) and getting no playing time at und. im sure buffalo cant be happy with that being they spent a nice draft pick on him. not saying corey wont develop at some point and get to where he wants to be but i wonder if a year in juniors would have been good. he hasnt played one game this season through first 8 games. i know every team needs a 7th guy at D and 8th for emergency but usually that guy will play a couple games here and there. he may be a great guy and wants to earn his way in the lineup but man it has to be frusterating for him after last year when miller changed spots which knocked him out of playing time and now this. wonder if we see him anytime soon. i guess time will tell. just my thoughts on the situation as im not saying the wrong guys are playing or not. just a situation that will be interesting to follow

When should we start the thread that Gleason is better than Ness?

I don't think it's even close at this point IMO.

After watching both the Gophers and the Sioux on television quite a bit this year, Gleason has outplayed both Ness and their super-frosh Leddy.

That's what makes it hard to take Gleason out of the lineup...he's just playing too well to have him sit.

And honestly I'm pleasantly surprised. Entering the season, I thought Gleason would be battling for that 6th spot, but right now he's looking to be a GREAT dman for the Sioux in the future.

The Huskies are so Hot/Cold this year it's driving me crazy. Lee is fine, Dunn is fine, but scoring sucks. Lasch has three points in eight games... unacceptable. Even Roe's eight points in eight games is behind pace for him. Aaron Freaking Marvin has yet to tally a point in eight games... ugh.

I don't dare predict what will happen, but I'll say the opportunity is there for some lopsided scores (in favor of the Sioux). If the Huskies scrape together any points, they'll be hard fought.

The Huskies are so Hot/Cold this year it's driving me crazy. Lee is fine, Dunn is fine, but scoring sucks. Lasch has three points in eight games... unacceptable. Even Roe's eight points in eight games is behind pace for him. Aaron Freaking Marvin has yet to tally a point in eight games... ugh.

I don't dare predict what will happen, but I'll say the opportunity is there for some lopsided scores (in favor of the Sioux). If the Huskies scrape together any points, they'll be hard fought.

I call sandbagging, and if there is one thing we know up here in the Red River valley, it's sandbagging!

it will be interesting to see what happens with fiehnage. hes a 3rd round draft pick (81st overall) and getting no playing time at und. im sure buffalo cant be happy with that being they spent a nice draft pick on him. not saying corey wont develop at some point and get to where he wants to be but i wonder if a year in juniors would have been good. he hasnt played one game this season through first 8 games. i know every team needs a 7th guy at D and 8th for emergency but usually that guy will play a couple games here and there. he may be a great guy and wants to earn his way in the lineup but man it has to be frusterating for him after last year when miller changed spots which knocked him out of playing time and now this. wonder if we see him anytime soon. i guess time will tell. just my thoughts on the situation as im not saying the wrong guys are playing or not. just a situation that will be interesting to follow

It may be mean to say, but I think Fiehnage and recruit Mike Fink should pursue other options. In my opinion their future is limited at UND, but could improve somewhere else.

It may be mean to say, but I think Fiehnage and recruit Mike Fink should pursue other options. In my opinion their future is limited at UND, but could improve somewhere else.

I don't think it is mean but I think it is clear that Hak doesn't think at this point Fiehnage can play. as he played in 9 games in the first half last year and didn't see anytime after that and in late jan Blood started seeing regular playing time not him. so it was evident at that time that he wasn't ready to play. it is one thing to perform well in practice as it has been said about him on numerous occasions and another to do it in game action. then come this year and two freshmen are ahead of him. If it ain't broke don't fix it and right now things are going pretty well. maybe he should do what forney did and head to the ushl for a year.

When all the dmen played in the Manitoba exhibition, Fienhage was the only one that looked tentative and unsure with the puck, he coughed it up quickly on all opportunities. When he had space, he quickly gave it to his defensive partner, really appeared that he was scared to make a mistake with the puck. It didn't look good for him then, not sure when/if that might change.

When all the dmen played in the Manitoba exhibition, Fienhage was the only one that looked tentative and unsure with the puck, he coughed it up quickly on all opportunities. When he had space, he quickly gave it to his defensive partner, really appeared that he was scared to make a mistake with the puck. It didn't look good for him then, not sure when/if that might change.

yeah i wasnt saying he should be a top 6 d man. just pointing out it could be a story to watch develop as he isnt playing at all which cant be good for himself and the buffalo sabres. hope things turn around for him. l

ets make it 4 in a row over a team nicknamed the huskies :angry:

go sioux

sioux sweep

yeah i wasnt saying he should be a top 6 d man. just pointing out it could be a story to watch develop as he isnt playing at all which cant be good for himself and the buffalo sabres. hope things turn around for him. l

Yup, gotta feel bad for him, no doubt he needs to develop somewhere somehow if there's any chance in the Sabre organization. I was expecting a higher level of comfort in the Manitoba game, and some starts following that game.

At this point for Fienhage, it seems like it will take an injury or losing stretch for him to get in, neither of which are desirable, but both of which are very possible. I agree that he looked tentative, but it's understandable given how little he's played. I don't think anyone can conclude the coaches have decided he can't play - he's just behind the other guys. It's unfortunate, but his career got sidetracked last year when the team struggled in the first half; to make the NCAA tournament, they had no margin for error, and couldn't work him in. Combined with Miller's emergence, which took another blueline spot, he was the odd man out.

With a couple studs lined up for next year, it doesn't get any easier then either.

At this point for Fienhage, it seems like it will take an injury or losing stretch for him to get in, neither of which are desirable, but both of which are very possible. I agree that he looked tentative, but it's understandable given how little he's played. I don't think anyone can conclude the coaches have decided he can't play - he's just behind the other guys. It's unfortunate, but his career got sidetracked last year when the team struggled in the first half; to make the NCAA tournament, they had no margin for error, and couldn't work him in. Combined with Miller's emergence, which took another blueline spot, he was the odd man out.

With a couple studs lined up for next year, it doesn't get any easier then either.

Exactly. But at some point in time, you need to start looking out for yourself. If he hasn't got playing time against Tech and UAA, its a stretch to think he will see time without an injury. I wouldn't fault him if he jumped ship after the season.

Exactly. But at some point in time, you need to start looking out for yourself. If he hasn't got playing time against Tech and UAA, its a stretch to think he will see time without an injury. I wouldn't fault him if he jumped ship after the season.

very well could happen because there are 2 top prospect d men coming in next season as of now with forbort a potential very high first round pick who can flat out play and mattson as well. big log jam with fienhage and without him as well as we have dicussed in the recruiting threadsp. tough to get better when you dont play but its also tough to get him in there when the sioux have started 6-1-1 with the d core that have played so well overall. gleason got his chance and simply ran with it and hasnt looked back. his ability to skate and handle the puck is a huge addition on the pp and even strength

It would be hard to take Gleason out of the lineup at this point...the kid is another Chay Genoway in the making. I can see Gleason being a big-impact player by the time he's a jr/sr.

Great, smooth skater with an offensive upside. His defensive game seems to be very sound as well.

Great, smooth skater with an offensive upside. His defensive game seems to be very sound as well.

The plusses were very obvious in high school. The defensive side was a huge question mark, though, as he didn't have to play in his own end very much on those powerhouse Edina teams. I was anxious for him to play in the USHL so he could learn to play defense. I haven't seen enough yet to have an opinion on how good he's gotten there.

It would be hard to take Gleason out of the lineup at this point...the kid is another Chay Genoway in the making. I can see Gleason being a big-impact player by the time he's a jr/sr.

I like the way all 6 d are playing right now they each bring something different and are working well together. that said barring an injury I can't see Fiehnage cracking the lineup. if he didn't against the last two teams I can't see hak playing him in the next 5 weekends.

or at the x-mas break.

i actually brought this up a while back, and wouldn't be surprised if this happened. i hope it doesn't, but can you really blame him if he does? he needs gametime to get better and to get where he wants to be, which is in pro hockey. he obviously isn't getting any ice time here, so i wouldn't be surprised if he has thought about going elsewhere.