SiouxSports.com Forum

10/04: Bulldogs at Sioux

sioux fan in phoenix

Prpich is fine! I saw the replay several times on TV, and the way I see it (over and over again), Prpich landed 4:1....there were only 11 clean punches thrown. Plus, he goes off smiling, and Peluso almost went down for the stretcher.

I didn't see Prpich flailing to the ice! I saw a battered UMD player falling,,,,only to be rescued by the official's. But of course, it's going to be a long season.....and I have the Sioux blinders on...........

I'll be watching the website once again.....and I'm glad it's SIOUX season!!!!!!!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like in the interview after the game that Zach got quite a bit of razzin' by those no-class vermin apologists at home (Faribault, MN). Buck up, Zach, anytime you want to spend some time with a bunch of Twin City Sioux fans during the off-season (or anytime else, for that matter) I'm sure we can be persuaded! :)

Seriously though, the best way to respond to that is to bring the prize home this year. The silence from those that let you have it last off-season will be deafening.

Don't know if I'm the lone Sioux fan in Denver who listened to the game tonight but that was awesome! I look forward to seeing them come out here and get some revenge for last year's series between the two teams at the DU arena. As a Colorado College alum it's always nice to see DU lose. As a die-hard Sioux fan, it's even better if its the Gophers!

Didn't see any post-game interviews. The Duluth announcers made it seem like it was Peluso who landed most of the punches (but, of course they would). I think the Dogs had just as many scoring chances as the Sioux, but the Sioux capitlized on them when they counted. You won round one, but there are four more meetings to go. And if tonight was any indication, they will be close, hard-fought contests that come down to the final minutes. Caig was overlooked tonight, he was in position, but the Dogs failed to get the puck to him in the key situations. Neither PP was spectacular, UND definitely moved the puck well, but Reichmuth came up big when it counted. So he got beat on some deflections. The Dogs D was to blame for the final goal, not taking the man effectively. 3-2 was the score I predicted, but the Dogs were on the worng side of it. As for the fight: without seeing it I would have to call it even. I'm sure both players received medical attention after that bout. Sounded like one for the ages. Again, it may be just the biased radio comentators, but the fight seemed much more even-handed, with Peluso connecting early and Prpich connecting late and eventually tackling Peluso. Often times the announcers make the mistake of giving the fight to the guy who comes out on top in the end. Sounded to me like the hits were fairly even with a slight advantage to the Soiux player. Of course he had a huge size advantage going in! When was the last time the helmets came off??! That's the one thing I've never understood about college hockey. What good does punching someone in the cage do? Sure it's jarring, but it does not do any physical damage. Thoght it was a very evenly matched game overall. These team matchup well, and seem to be very evenly matched. The only thing tht was decided tonight was who has the early advantage. This series will be one of the most closely contested in the WCHA this season. MARK MY WORDS!!

UMD, from soneone who was there, handled the fights fairly well, but the second fight wasn't that even. The first fight, though, was pretty even.

Prpich landed the first and the last punch. Prpich landed the most punches. Really, the last half of the fight Peluso merely held onto Prprich's jersey more than anything else.

I would expect the Duluth commentators downplaying the Sioux dominance in the fight just like I'd expect the Sioux commentators of saying Prpich slaughtered Peluso.

What the truth is: Prpich won, no contest, but it only looked dominating the last half of the fight.

OH! Forgot a few Props.

Major Props go to PCM. His predictions all came true! Every single one of them! His flare for predictions make the Swami look amateur.

Props go to Isaac Reichmuth. UND 7 UMD 1 if Reichmuth wasn't playing. That simple. BTW- Can someone explain why this dude isn't drafted?

Props go to Schneider, Stafford, Murray, and Greene. Stafford and Murray, I already explained why. Props to Schneider because even a RL experience hockey doofus such as myself felt the leadership of Schneider on the ice. And Greene gets props because, though he did get penalized, it did eliminate a possible odd man rush. He played smart hockey otherwise and he stood up for his fellow players. He's skating better and stick handling better. I would say he's better overall if this wasn't the first game of the year.

Anti-Props to the Linesmen for making really bad calls on offsides for both sides. for the Polar Bear who was a flat out joke.

And, lastly, Props to UMD the school, UMD the AD, and Scott Sandelin. Thanks for being the first game of the season.

Anti Props to me because I CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT THE GAME!

I'm happy for the guys as it got them started off on the right foot re: the all-important PWR rankings. Can someone clarify whether or not Prpich will be able to play the first game of the BC series? Hopefully he can sit out the Concordia game...

I don't know for sure, but since Schneider got suspended for fighting during an exhibition in 2001 and had to miss the HOF game, I would think that the reverse situation would also apply. Or it could just be wishful thinking.

I was going to try to listen to the game, as Dataflix kept getting dragged into my firewall during the free trials, and it sounds like they sucked the wet one tonight. Anyway, the radio feed crapped out too, so I had to go out with the GF and catch scores on my cell phone ... no excuses. Darn. :);)

Sounds like a nice first game for the boys. I didn't expect (duh)UMD to rollover with Scottie Sandelin running the show, but it was probably a nice tuneup for both programs. I'm not too surprised JParise got the start, and that he had a nice game. Don't be too surprised about Prpich's fighting skills ... this guy racked up 239 PIM his last season in the BCHL. Should be another fun season in the WCHA. :D

As much as Duluth commentators are annoying, they couldn't get more annnoying than Badger and Gopher announcers. But even then, they are employees of a company who is contracting with the particular school. In other words, it's to be expected.

BTW- That's why I have a beef with ESPN. They aren't contracted to anyone. They should be objective. But hey... who are we kidding.

Seriously, Pheonixfan...I'm 99% sure that Prpich can sit out an exhibition game and then play in the next game vs. BC. If anyone has the rulebook handy, now would be the time to whip it out. But I believe it does not matter what the next game is, he sits. AS for the fight...well...i'll give you that one. I'm sure Peluso at least held his own against Prpich even though he was overmatched, but as for the decision I guess you had to be there to decide it. I think the game was a great step forward for both schools, other that the two fights, and it should be a very evenly matched series all season long. Shots were more even than most of you predicted: only a 12 shot differential...but I think the chance were pretty even for both tems. UND just put one away when it counted. Was disappointed the Dogs couldn't put more pucks behind Parise with the opportunities they had, but he turned out to be a really solid prospect...not just some schmo riding his brothers coattails.

Major Props go to PCM. His predictions all came true! Every single one of them! His flare for predictions make the Swami look amateur.

Really? :D Diggler won his Valley Dairy carmel-pecan cappacino? I thought that prediction was a bit of a stretch, but sometimes I'm willing to go out on a limb. :)

Actually, I know one of my predictions didn't come true because Scott Hennen wasn't the game announcer.

I don't want to turn this into a hugfest, but I appreciate your input & updates throughout the game, UMDDogz. It'll be interesting to see how these 2 teams match up when they meet later in the season: they'll be more fluid, conditioned & less likely to make errors. Reichmuth is definitely a gem & is gonna take you places this year; with Mankato & St. Cloud depleted, you guys have a legitimate & likely shot at 3rd, I think.

Congrats to the Sioux for a good win. :D;)

Any one else notice the interesting set up for the powerplay. Lundbohm and Parise on the point and Bochenski, Schneider and Murray(I think?) down low. Two forwards on the point and a D-man down low. :) No wonder the Dawgs got a shorthander. I know Blais likes to try different things, that usually work out well, but I would feel much better if he had at least one D-man back on the blue line.

Does Prpich have to sit out the BC game or does he sit out the exhibition game against Concordia?

I just looked it up in the NCAA rule book. And the answer is...... there is no answer. :) Or at least I can't find it.

The rule book clearly states:

SECTION 5. Disqualification Penalties

A.R. 2: A player receives a disqualification penalty in an exhibition game. Does the player have to serve this penalty? RULING: Yes. Disqualification penalties must be served regardless of the type of game in which it occurs.

No mention of the opposite scenario, about if the DQ occurs in a regular season game if you can serve the penalty during an exhibition game. It looks like the NCAA might have to make a ruling. If they do I would guess Prpich will play against Concordia and sit out Friday against BC. I hope I

I didn't get to see any of the game except the last 5 minutes on webcast. What did those of you who saw the game think of Smaby/Foyt, etc... If someone could give me an update on how all of the freshman looked that would be great.

Foyt: don't think he played; didn't hear his name announced.

Bina: I think he's recovering from a blister or infection on his toe?? (or is this Foyt?)

Fabian: a healthy scratch, I believe.

Porter: Announcers said his line with Fylling & Lundbohm played the steadiest. Almost had his first Sioux goal but shot high on a wide-open net.

Stafford: GWG & announcers tabbed him as their POG. This guy's no illusion.

Murray: I think he played a key role in one of the goals & may have gotten an assist when Bochenski scored.

Smaby: didn't hear much about him.

I probably flubbed a couple of these..Someone who was at the game, like PCM, would know a lot more.

BTW... Palmiscno: high ankle sprain-not serious.

I just looked it up in the NCAA rule book.  And the answer is...... there is no answer.  :)  Or at least I can't find it.

I'm quite certain that Prpich will have to sit out an NCAA game. That's the way it's always been. That rule doesn't apply in this case because it wasn't an exhibition game. It was a non-conference game.

Foyt did play, because he wears #4 and I flashbacks of the last great Sioux player to wear that jersey.

I thought I saw him on the ice in the first period with Nick Fuher. I don't remember seeing him at all after that.

I know Blais likes to try different things, that usually work out well, but I would feel much better if he had at least one D-man back on the blue line.

Matt Jones was at the blue line on the shorthanded goal. He whiffed on his shot and Stapleton picked up the puck and went the distance. Zach Parise tried to chase him down, but he'd been on the ice so long that he was totally spent.