SiouxSports.com Forum

How Much Do You Spend...

Detroit87

Depends....probably not so much this year as most.

On an average year, around $500-750 (if you don't count apparel). Two years ago I splurged a little and went to Boston, Michigan, Madison twice (regular season and regionals), and Denver, as well as all the home games.

This year, I won't get season tickets being out of state now, but I'll probably buy some games on the internet, and I hope to get to the Twin Cities for the series there and hopefully one series in GF. Also, I plan on going to the Notre Dame tourney in Chicago. If they make the Frozen Four, I'll see if I can make that since Detroit is only about a 7 hour drive, but that's a bit too far into the future to plan for.

Oh I spend anywhere form 3-5 weekends in Grand Forks depending on my coaching schedule.Hotels,food,and adult beverages add up but to me it is all worth it.I also take the drive up for single games when I can from Jamestown so throw in the price of gas also.SIOUX kicking someones ass-priceless.

We travel up from Fergus Falls for every home series, but stay at relatives so no hotel expense. Usually have the extreme nachos at every game. We do buy groceries every trip, so it is about 3/4 tank of gas round trip, plus $20-$30 in groceries, plus the nachos, plus the season tickets.

We also travel to one or two away series every year, as we have a goal to see the Sioux play in every arena in the WCHA. We are down to just Denver and Alaska left. We will get to Denver in November. We had planned to make it to Alaska in October, but that won't happen this year. Sioux hockey is our passion.

Like Sioux-Cia said, I've never totalled it, and its a good thing I got a good education which led to a good job.

And probably I don't want to know, but here's a stab:

FSC membership $1100

Season tix (4) $1400 (basketball, football, VB, etc extra)

WCHA FF: $500

Frozen Four: $600

Mankato/UMD/The John: $400

Gas for 7000 miles $700

Air to Frozen Four: $1600

Togas: $2

Looks like about $6k.

Not included above:

Money to Post Bail: $2000

Legal representation: $6000

Speaking of spending money on Sioux hockey, I am thinking about trying to get to a game in the 2010-11 season. I assume Minneapolis/Saint Paul is the closest airport. How many hours from the Twin Cities to Grand Forks by car? What do small rental cars go for per day at the airport? How much is a regular hotel (Red Roof Inn,Econo Lodge,etc.) per night in Grand Forks? For most series,is it fairly easy to get decent seats for both weekend games? What is the chance I might get snowed in during November since I would like to make a football game too? Thanks for any info.

Speaking of spending money on Sioux hockey, I am thinking about trying to get to a game in the 2010-11 season. I assume Minneapolis/Saint Paul is the closest airport. How many hours from the Twin Cities to Grand Forks by car? What do small rental cars go for per day at the airport? How much is a regular hotel (Red Roof Inn,Econo Lodge,etc.) per night in Grand Forks? For most series,is it fairly easy to get decent seats for both weekend games? What is the chance I might get snowed in during November since I would like to make a football game too? Thanks for any info.

just research that info and its a bit earl for exact pricing this far ahead of time. use orbitz or travelocity to get all that info. 5 hours or so from cities to g-forks. just ask ahead of time for decent seats on siouxsports and im sure someone will have some to help you out. theres a chance to get snowed in at anytime between november and march :D

I assume Minneapolis/Saint Paul is the closest airport. How many hours from the Twin Cities to Grand Forks by car?

Why not fly into Grand Forks directly on Delta/Northwest or Allegiant?

If you want to "do the double" (hockey and football) stay at the Canad Inn attached to Alerus Center.

I didn't know Grand Forks Airport was able to handle jets. I doubt there is anything non-stop from Newark or Philadelphia,but maybe something that goes through Minneapolis or Denver.

You'll end up being at least one-stop no matter how you fly to GF.

Look for a cheap rate from Philly or Newark to Las Vegas or Phoenix and then jump onto Allegiant direct to GF.

However, with Allegiant they only fly those flights on limited days, I think Sundays and Thurdays, but in on Thu and out on Sun would be perfect for you.

Northwest will take you to MSP to get you to GF. Try to get Newark to MSP (Continental partners with NWA). Avoid two-stops (Detroit and MSP).

The other 2 answered most of your actual travel questions. The easiest is to fly Newark-MSP-Grand Forks on Northwest/Delta. They currently have 5 flights into Grand Forks on weekdays and 4 on Sundays. Hotel prices are variable depending on what else is going on in town. Best bet is to book early for hockey weekends. My best guess is that you will pay $50-100 per night depending on the weekend and the hotel. Rental car will run about $35-45 per day with taxes. Grand Forks has several cab companies and a couple of hotels run shuttles to the airport and to the Ralph for games so you have options for in town transportation. Tickets to games can always be had. I often have an extra pair of tickets because a friend and I have 4 seats. The toughest games to get tickets for are Minnesota and Wisconsin. Tickets often sell at a premium price for those games. Other games you can usually pay right around regular ticket price and find seats right up to game day.

I didn't know Grand Forks Airport was able to handle jets. I doubt there is anything non-stop from Newark or Philadelphia,but maybe something that goes through Minneapolis or Denver.

You have to call ahead and have them get the cows and tractors off the runway, but they can land a plane here. :D

Yeah we can but our airport isn't as big as Newark International though. :D

Entirely to much money. I spent more when I lived in Minneapolis with all my trips to Senser's to watch the games. But I went to Senser's every weekend for about five years for every game that they showed and then to the last five frozen fours. Just way to much money. But bring on the new season.

I'm a season ticket holder for football and hockey, and also attend alot of basketball games, and even a volleyball game and women's hockey game or two each year. All together with tickets, travel, food/beverage, FSC dues, internet subsrciptions (both fightingsioux.com & opponent webcasts), DirecTV sportspak subscrptions (to get every available away game on TV that I can), FTA satellite equipment (to get every home game & an occasional obscure away game for hockey/football/basketball), I figure I spend between $5,000-6,000 a year. Never have travelled for an away hockey series, just football. The wife and I are saving up to hit the Frozen Four at the Xcel in 2011........

OK, I believe you.

Do you consider the cost of a new liver related to Sioux hockey? (Or would that happen anyway?)

I said that in jest but my hotel room 300, gas 100, meals 150 (5x30) and a few beers probably cost at least 150.00

Tickets were like 150.00. Eat a couple of times down town and drinks at the Xcel Energy is pretty steep.

Watching UMD beat Gophers 25.00 in the thursday game

Drinks after to celebrate said loss 50.00

Beer during UMD and UND debacle 25.00

New Liver because of Sioux hockey Price less. :D