SiouxSports.com Forum

Texas Tech Predictions

UND Fan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been some score predictions on the other threads but let's see what people think.

TT 66

UND 7

I certainly hope that it is much closer than that!

They will beat the hell out of the Sioux.....but so what.....you are there. Enjoy it and enjoy some of the competition most of us never though we would see playing a team from either school. And......when you get those upsets.....it is a lot of fun!

They will beat the hell out of the Sioux.....but so what.....you are there. Enjoy it and enjoy some of the competition most of us never though we would see playing a team from either school. And......when you get those upsets.....it is a lot of fun!

I agree - thanks for the positive comment!

I'd like to think that UND's talent on defense this year is better than it's been in several years. Texas Tech had a better offense last year, at least on paper, and scored 56 and 49 points, respectively, against UMass and Eastern Washington. So in theory, UND could hold TT under 50 with a good defensive performance. The problem is, I'm assuming those teams had better offenses than what we'll likely have this year, so I'm concerned with the defense getting worn down by the heat and lot of 3-and-out's by our offense.

49 Texas Tech

3 UND

I predict Tropical Storm Jimena (currently in NW Mexico having just pummelled Baja California) will change course and decide it wants to see the new Texas Stadium at Dallas and will choose a route that goes through Lubbock on Saturday. Jimena will bring torential, dare I say Biblical, rains with her, and Coach Muss' coaches show wish of heavy rain will come true. Being from Grand Forks the UND team will be better able to sandbag their sidelines and will survive the deluge and escape with a soggy 16-13 victory.

HEY! A guy has to have a dream, doesn't he? :silly:

PS - If it doesn't rain, take the 46.5 points.

I think this is the worst possible year to be playing the best possible team. I'd feel better about this game in a couple years. Heck, I'd feel better about many of UND's DII teams going up against Texas Tech than this squad in a rebuilding year.

TT - 72

UND - 6

If TT coughs up the ball at some inopportune times and UND wins the turnover battle, it might be closer.

Someone please articulate the upside to a 60+ point loss to even a far-superior team? I'm not seeing it.

$$ and exposure are two reasons that quickly come to mind. Additionally, playing a top 25 FBS team gets the fan base excited. I'm hoping for more of a 42-20 ballgame.

GO SIOUX!!!

$$ and exposure are two reasons that quickly come to mind. Additionally, playing a top 25 FBS team gets the fan base excited. I'm hoping for more of a 42-20 ballgame.

GO SIOUX!!!

How much is the Sioux paycheck for playing Tech? Isn't there such a thing as negative exposure? What kind of excitement is generated by fans or would-be fans of the team losing by 60 or more points? How much of the audience leaves if it's 50-0 at the half? Not meaning to be a Debbie Downer here but I was one of the few alums who opined when asked in the survey that our non-hockey teams should continue at D-II level because it's better to be a big fish in a small pond.

GO SIOUX!!!

The fact that their coach does not believe in slowing things down at all even with a healthy lead is the main reason for the spread. I wouldn't think it would be that bad against a team with a different philosophy.

How much is the Sioux paycheck for playing Tech? Isn't there such a thing as negative exposure? What kind of excitement is generated by fans or would-be fans of the team losing by 60 or more points? How much of the audience leaves if it's 50-0 at the half? Not meaning to be a Debbie Downer here but I was one of the few alums who opined when asked in the survey that our non-hockey teams should continue at D-II level because it's better to be a big fish in a small pond.

$350,000

I think UND would have been much better off waiting until 2011 at the earliest to play a top-tier FBS team like Texas Tech. But it is what it is. It in no way dampers my enthusiasm for the move up to Division I.

$350,000

I think UND would have been much better off waiting until 2011 at the earliest to play a top-tier FBS team like Texas Tech. But it is what it is. It in no way dampers my enthusiasm for the move up to Division I.

Aw, the sweet smell of money! I hope it's worth it. That said, I'll be listening to the game, praying for a miracle win.

Someone please articulate the upside to a 60+ point loss to even a far-superior team? I'm not seeing it.

350,000 reasons

possibly more recruits from Texas (hundreds of kids who aren't quite good enough for BCS teams)

great experience for fans, players and coaches, its hard to explain unless you've seen it in person

Realistically speaking, staying dII was not an option because of a number of factors, including the successful transition of NDSU and SDSU, the inability to find additional members for the NCC, and the general direction of dII with all the former NAIA schools moving up and many of the former dII powers moving to dI. Football probably would have been O.K. for a little while longer at the dII level, but recruiting was going to be extremely difficult with 36 scholarships, considering all the competition within our traditional recruiting area. I think the quality of the product we see on the football field would have gone steadily down, which would have impacted attendance and interest in the program. We are very possibly going to take our lumps this year (particularly this Saturday), and maybe next year, but within a few years I'm confident that UND will be a strong FCS program.

Thanks for the replies. If all those pluses actually make it onto the Sioux side of the ledger book, that's great. $350k I guess is incentive enough. Ask me again in 5 years if I think the move to DI was wise and worth it. I hope I can say "yes" then. Nothing would make me happier than having been proven wrong in my initial assessment of the move.

Realistically speaking, staying dII was not an option because of a number of factors, including the successful transition of NDSU and SDSU, the inability to find additional members for the NCC, and the general direction of dII with all the former NAIA schools moving up and many of the former dII powers moving to dI. Football probably would have been O.K. for a little while longer at the dII level, but recruiting was going to be extremely difficult with 36 scholarships, considering all the competition within our traditional recruiting area. I think the quality of the product we see on the football field would have gone steadily down, which would have impacted attendance and interest in the program. We are very possibly going to take our lumps this year (particularly this Saturday), and maybe next year, but within a few years I'm confident that UND will be a strong FCS program.

Excellent post.

Whatever the score Saturday I think the exposure gained by playing a topflight BCS team cannot be minimized. In one respect one could say this is a bowl game of sorts for UND's football team, the Pride of the North Marching Band and the faithful Sioux fans who are following the team to Lubbock. The final score really shouldn't matter in this one. I predict the experience on the whole will be deemed most positive when all is said and done. The atmosphere should be great. After all, didn't famed sportswriter Grantland Rice once write something to the effect that when the One Great Scorer Comes to Write Against Your Name, it's not important who won or lost, but how one played the game? I have every confidence that the Fighting Sioux football team will represent UND very well on the field Saturday regardless of the final score. I would not be surprised if the Texas heat takes somewhat of a toll as the game wears on. Truthfully, I would be most pleasantly surprised were the Sioux to come out on top Saturday given the odds. Nevertheless, stranger things have happened. I'd be happy with a hard-fought game, hoping the Sioux come out of the game relatively injury free. Perhaps 49-10 Texas Tech might be the final. Years from now, who really cares about the final score? I'm thinking a majority of Sioux fans traveling to Lubbock are going to be mighty pleased by the whole experience, but I do think the team will do us all proud by their performance.

This matchup marred by very bad timing for a UND team breaking in so many new players. I fear your defense will be worn out by halftime. Your QB is very promising but your OL will be hard pressed to give him time to throw the ball. Hopefully, things will even out a little when Tech's 2nd and 3rd teamers enter the game. I hope ya'll manage to score a TD or more so I'll say...

Tech 66

UND 13

Now would be a good time to strike an agreement to play again in about 5 years to measure your team's progress. Personally, I'd love a home-and-home series. :silly: