SiouxSports.com Forum

UND in search for third goalie

GeauxSioux

UND in search for third goalie

UND will once again be in search for a third goaltender this summer.

As the indicated by the jersey auction, Graeme Harrington won't be back with the Sioux next season. Harrington will transfer to Northern Alberta Institute of Technology in Edmonton.

Harrington said there were various reasons why he decided to transfer, without getting too deep into them. He said he enjoyed his time at UND a lot.

yeah it was obvious from the auction as they are selling his jerseys. remember his jerseys arent game worn, they are game issued and maybe a home jersey took a puck or 2 in warmups if he ever dressed as a 3rd goalie. just find a guy who can take some pucks in practice and is a good locker room guy as they usually always have had.

What about taking a flyer on a guy hoping for a wild card? I mean, Walski started out as "just" a third goaltender.

Maybe someone like Belfour. He's 21 or darned close. He's not done a whole lot in juniors. However, I have no idea what he's like in the locker room.

It really doesn't matter who we get, but I'm still interested.

Why? You'd suck as goalie. You flop around like a dying carp, you handle rebounds like a hot potato and you clear pucks right into the other guy's stick. ;):D

"redwing77" is really "Ma Flower" (aka Marc-Andre Fleury)!?!?! :)

That "redwing" moniker is awesome cover; I'd have never guessed. :D

"redwing77" is really "Ma Flower" (aka Marc-Andre Fleury)!?!?! ;)

That "redwing" moniker is awesome cover; I'd have never guessed. :D

DAMN IT! I've been exposed! Er... um.....

Um.. ScottM- I'm the same size and height as Karl Goehring. I could flop around and be just as dominant. :)

The NCAA should let Walski apply for another year of eligiblity. I mean what does it hurt to give the guy another year? ;)

On a side note, watching some of the Aaron Dell footage on youtube made my day. I know its basically footage of all of his best saves, but man there are a lof of nice ones. :D

UND shouldn't be hard pressed to find another goaltender to bring in the mix. I guess I'm of the opinion that they should bring in a kid that would compete for the starters spot almost immediately instead of a guy thats going to simpy take pucks in practice. You know that one of the goalies will probably get nicked up at some point in time during the season, which means that the Sioux would be a heartbeat away from going with a shooter tutor in net if they go with their conventional method in the nets.

Does Ranfranz have any eligibility left? Gosh, where in the world is that guy nowadays??

The NCAA should let Walski apply for another year of eligiblity. I mean what does it hurt to give the guy another year? ;)

On a side note, watching some of the Aaron Dell footage on youtube made my day. I know its basically footage of all of his best saves, but man there are a lof of nice ones. :D

UND shouldn't be hard pressed to find another goaltender to bring in the mix. I guess I'm of the opinion that they should bring in a kid that would compete for the starters spot almost immediately instead of a guy thats going to simpy take pucks in practice. You know that one of the goalies will probably get nicked up at some point in time during the season, which means that the Sioux would be a heartbeat away from going with a shooter tutor in net if they go with their conventional method in the nets.

Does Ranfranz have any eligibility left? Gosh, where in the world is that guy nowadays??

An interesting sentiment.

But there is a poster on Brad's blog that said something interesting. Apparently there was a kid from Brainerd who was the 3rd stringer when JPL and JPar were still in town but before Walski (is that even right?). Is that kid still around?

I just don't know if that's going to happen though. Eidsness is pretty much established as the #1. Dell MIGHT be the heir apparent. There is always the possibility that Eidsness bolts after this season (how likely is up in the air and way too early to speculate upon) so recruiting a guy who could be an admirable backup to Dell would be wise...

I don't know who Hak will go after. Frankly, all I can know is stats. Omaha (USHL) has a scholar athlete who is a goaltender... Teglia is his name I believe.

An interesting sentiment.

But there is a poster on Brad's blog that said something interesting. Apparently there was a kid from Brainerd who was the 3rd stringer when JPL and JPar were still in town but before Walski (is that even right?). Is that kid still around?

I just don't know if that's going to happen though. Eidsness is pretty much established as the #1. Dell MIGHT be the heir apparent. There is always the possibility that Eidsness bolts after this season (how likely is up in the air and way too early to speculate upon) so recruiting a guy who could be an admirable backup to Dell would be wise...

I don't know who Hak will go after. Frankly, all I can know is stats. Omaha (USHL) has a scholar athlete who is a goaltender... Teglia is his name I believe.

He was trying to think of Landon Snider, the goalie who came in for the second semester after Grieco left. Two seasons ago, which is where he is getting the two years. So not quite from JPL and JPar's time...about two years after JPar left....and as of this spring he was still around, I lived next door to him.

UND is starting to go through goalies faster than back in the Blais days! ;)

I'm a little upset that we won't get a chance to see Harrington get in a game. Does anyone know if he plans to play hockey in Edmonton? Is it very good hockey I wonder?

UND is starting to go through goalies faster than back in the Blais days! ;)

I'm a little upset that we won't get a chance to see Harrington get in a game. Does anyone know if he plans to play hockey in Edmonton? Is it very good hockey I wonder?

I bet Harrington will play.

After all, CIAU hockey eligibility is 5+ years. Their current roster has a player in his 5th season with the NAIT team (their mascot is... the Ooks! BEWARE THE OOKS!!!!! Seriously...how the alumni can be proud of that I dunno).

When I was in floor hockey back in the day, I was a pretty stellar goalie if I do say so myself....and that was without pads. ;)

I dare you to try it on the ice without pads. :D It only hurts for a while, like until the bruise goes away.

I dare you to try it on the ice without pads. :D It only hurts for a while, like until the bruise goes away.

Granted we didn't have a hard ass rubber puck, but there was a kid in my class who actually played at Mankato for a few years and spent a couple in the USHL as well. A lot of good MN and GF HS kids as well ;) I got my fair share of welts.

Granted we didn't have a hard ass rubber puck, but there was a kid in my class who actually played at Mankato for a few years and spent a couple in the USHL as well. A lot of good MN and GF HS kids as well :D I got my fair share of welts.

In floor hockey I got more bruises from getting whacked in the shins with sticks than from the puck. Of course the guys I played with didn't know much about hockey, they just liked hitting people. ;)

In floor hockey I got more bruises from getting whacked in the shins with sticks than from the puck. Of course the guys I played with didn't know much about hockey, they just liked hitting people. ;)

There was plenty of that too....my shins are still recovering many moons later.

The NCAA should let Walski apply for another year of eligiblity. I mean what does it hurt to give the guy another year? :D

UND shouldn't be hard pressed to find another goaltender to bring in the mix.......

Wow, I just took a look at the you tube footage as well, not sure who Phil Dell is but he did a good job of putting a hi-light reel together of Aaron! By the looks of that footage we very easily could have a goalie controversy on our hands. In a good way, certainly not meaning to sound negative as from the video that I saw (one from the all star game of the league that we appear to recruit heavily from) he looked solid. I can't see him as being content sitting on the bench! Who ever is recruited for the 3rd goalie will be a long way back on the depth charts or we could end up with a negative goalie controversy! A goalie rotation could bring an interesting mix to next year's team.

The NCAA should let Walski apply for another year of eligiblity. I mean what does it hurt to give the guy another year? :D

UND shouldn't be hard pressed to find another goaltender to bring in the mix.......

Wow, I just took a look at the you tube footage as well, not sure who Phil Dell is but he did a good job of putting a hi-light reel together of Aaron! By the looks of that footage we very easily could have a goalie controversy on our hands. In a good way, certainly not meaning to sound negative as from the video that I saw (one from the all star game of the league that we appear to recruit heavily from) he looked solid. I can't see him as being content sitting on the bench! Who ever is recruited for the 3rd goalie will be a long way back on the depth charts or we could end up with a negative goalie controversy! A goalie rotation could bring an interesting mix to next year's team.

That would be a good thing since Brad Eidsness had a tendencey to take parts of games off last season and give up softies.

With competition he can only get better. With two solid goalies in Dell and Eidsness it will be nice to see a goalie competition.

We have not had solid competition for the starter the last two seasons.

That would be a good thing since Brad Eidsness had a tendencey to take parts of games off last season and give up softies.

With competition he can only get better. With two solid goalies in Dell and Eidsness it will be nice to see a goalie competition.

We have not had solid competition for the starter the last two seasons.

Did we need it with JPL his senior year?

I think it is to be expected that a freshman goaltender give up occasional softies. It's called getting used to the game at this level.

I'm not at all worried about Eidsness. I am worried that Dell will go through the same thing Eids did last year and people won't give him a break (They'll Grieco him).

But alas... it matters not.

How about this Phillippi guy who plays for Fairbanks of the NAHL for our third goaltender? He had a stellar year in the NAHL and he's from Minnesota.

Did we need it with JPL his senior year?

How about this Phillippi guy who plays for Fairbanks of the NAHL for our third goaltender? He had a stellar year in the NAHL and he's from Minnesota.

What high school is he from?