SiouxSports.com Forum

Look on the bright side

gopherz

Golly I love trading valuable quantities for "maybes" ...

Maybe the Summit League.

Maybe a football game in half a decade.

You should PM your credit card numbers to me and maybe I won't post them on the internet. :silly:

With the name change imminent, maybe UND will score a game at TCF Bank Stadium in 2012. There's an opening in the schedule...

Oh goody now UND can play a second rate Big Ten Team. Maybe they will win their Music City or Insite.com bowl game this time around. I would rather see us play Iowa or Wisconsin. :D

The recruiting exposure you get playing the Gophers can only help UND. Many alumni in that area.

When Bohl took over the Bison he said they have to play the Gophers. I think he was correct. Go Sioux.

Exactly, those 2 games helped our presence in Minneapolis and Wisconsin greatly, Granted playing Wisconsin and Iowa does virtually the same I would take MN over Iowa anyday, because your Alums in the Cities and also fans from GF can easily make that trip unlike Madison or Iowa City.

Exactly, those 2 games helped our presence in Minneapolis and Wisconsin greatly, Granted playing Wisconsin and Iowa does virtually the same I would take MN over Iowa anyday, because your Alums in the Cities and also fans from GF can easily make that trip unlike Madison or Iowa City.

But Madison blows Minneapolis out of the water as far as a true college sports experience. Fans would still travel well there. It would just be a harder ticket to get than playing the gophers.

Bison fans get exciited about scheduling a meaningless non-conference game against the Gophers... not me. Besides, if the name changes it becomes a moot point as the Sioux would no longer exist at that point in time.

so what are you saying??? you will no longer follow sports ay UND because they are not the Sioux?:D

Also you have MANY meaningless Non-conference games on your Schedule it a little thing called money Dave and taking a $300,000+ payday to play a Big Ten school in our Backyard isn't meaningless!

During the transition years, I would get excited about playing any Division I non-conference game since scheduling is a big headache.

Bison fans get exciited about scheduling a meaningless non-conference game against the Gophers... not me. Besides, if the name changes it becomes a moot point as the Sioux would no longer exist at that point in time.

As for whether or not I will continue to follow UND athletics, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. If they have to drop the name and decide to not have any nickname at all, I could see fans continuing calling them the Sioux as sort of an unofficial name (similar to how NDSU fans refer to their team as The Herd). I would most definitely continue to follow them in that scenario.

You seem to evaluate college athletics and professional sports through the same lens. That is your opinion and you certainly have the right to it. I'm guessing you didn't attend classes or graduate from UND...I may be wrong but that's the sense I get. There would be more of an emotional investment there if you had.

DaveK, I'm sure you are a nice guy, but I grow tired of reading your out of touch posts. I'm a Sioux fan, I support keeping the Sioux logo, but the name and logo is not the reason that I cheer for the teams or donate to the athletic department. I was saddened to learn about the fate of the name and logo on Thursday, but I am still looking forward to the football team taking the field against Tech, the hockey team rolling over Minnesota and all of the other teams having success at the Division 1 level. I've cheered for these teams for my whole life, I attended the University of North Dakota, and now I'm a donor to UND athletics and NONE of that will change simply because the name and logo is changing.

But the thing is the Gophers aren't the only potential D1 team to schedule a non-conference payday game against. There are, what, 117 D1 teams? I don't get why any one of them is such a big deal more than all the others. Who gives a rat's a$$ if the Gophers don't want to schedule a football game against the Sioux? There are 116 other D1 teams to schedule a payday game against. A game against the Gophers is not the be-all end-all of transitioning from D2 to I-AA. They just aren't that important, and no I'm not saying that to put them down. They're actually my favorite D1 team, but let's be realistic please.

As for whether or not I will continue to follow UND athletics, I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. If they have to drop the name and decide to not have any nickname at all, I could see fans continuing calling them the Sioux as sort of an unofficial name (similar to how NDSU fans refer to their team as The Herd). I would most definitely continue to follow them in that scenario.

But if they come up with some new contrived nickname I would have a hard time continuing to support them. If it came to that I would feel like it's the end of one program and the beginning of an "expansion team" for lack of a better term. I think I would lose interest at that point. That's why this nickname issue is so gut-wrenching for me. The mere thought of the very real possibility that my favorite NCAA team will no longer exist one year from now breaks my heart. ;)

UND vs Florida State....battle of the Indian nicknames. :D

But the thing is the Gophers aren't the only potential D1 team to schedule a non-conference payday game against. There are, what, 117 D1 teams? I don't get why any one of them is such a big deal more than all the others. Who gives a rat's a$$ if the Gophers don't want to schedule a football game against the Sioux? There are 116 other D1 teams to schedule a payday game against. A game against the Gophers is not the be-all end-all of transitioning from D2 to I-AA. They just aren't that important, and no I'm not saying that to put them down. They're actually my favorite D1 team, but let's be realistic please.

But if they come up with some new contrived nickname I would have a hard time continuing to support them. If it came to that I would feel like it's the end of one program and the beginning of an "expansion team" for lack of a better term. I think I would lose interest at that point. That's why this nickname issue is so gut-wrenching for me. The mere thought of the very real possibility that my favorite NCAA team will no longer exist one year from now breaks my heart. :sad:

I understand completely, I for one was not a supporter of changing the name, you can look at posts on Bisonville if you want I think its very sad what the world has come to, but I don't agree with not supporting them because they will no longer be known to the public as the Sioux, but you being a devoted fan and possible alum, the name should not matter, because no matter what you will still know them as the Sioux right?? I mean My hgih school had 3 different names due to co-ops and I still think of that team in the same way afterall the players and University needs the support of fans like you and everyone else on here more than ever right now IMO!!

Question: What do you think is the bigger number...the Dollar amount from a Minnesota/other DI team in 2012, or the lost merchandise sales and royalties after the nickname is retired?

I don't think the opportunity cost of lost merchandising is going to be that much after the first year or so. So I would say Texas Tech+Fresno State+San Diego State+(insert team here) > lost sales of apparel.

I don't think the opportunity cost of lost merchandising is going to be that much after the first year or so. So I would say Texas Tech+Fresno State+San Diego State+(insert team here) > lost sales of apparel.

I agree with you. UND fans will continue to buy stuff no matter what logo and name are used. I know that I keep buying stuff even though I really don't need any more. I also expect to see a spike in sales of Fighting Sioux merchandise during the next year. A lot of people will want to stock up while they can.

I agree with you. UND fans will continue to buy stuff no matter what logo and name are used. I know that I keep buying stuff even though I really don't need any more. I also expect to see a spike in sales of Fighting Sioux merchandise during the next year. A lot of people will want to stock up while they can.

Hey, you can find plenty of it on shopncaasports.com. IF that isn't the most hypocritical thing i've ever seen.....

Hey, you can find plenty of it on shopncaasports.com. IF that isn't the most hypocritical thing i've ever seen.....

They've got to make a buck some how. They obviously know what sells. :D Actually I got a couple of great deals at the Sioux Shop sale a few weeks ago. They had great sweatshirts for $15 and caps for $5.

I think that is funny the name is hostile and abusive to the NCAA and UND can't wear and will have to retire the name and logo if they can't get tribal permission yet they sell on their site. That is a bunch of S*** if you ask me.