SiouxSports.com Forum

State Board

siouxper_tex

If the people on this board think that the nickname is more important than real conference affilication, they are dead wrong. If they think UND can make it work in the Great West, or that other conferences will come calling to the Canada border, dead wrong again. If you think that the nickname is the most important thing, you might as well stick a fork in every program you have except Hockey. If you think that a nickname is more important than baseball, volleyball, soccer, softball, track&field, etc . . . get your DII application ready because you will not be able to recruit as athletes will choose ncaa eligible options. Yeah, I expect everyone to fight for the nickname and thumb their nose at trading the nickname for a Summit bid . . . but let's face it, if you want to be DI it's your only option unless you can get all your sports into the WCHA. The SBoHE will be burned at the stake for their decision, but they are actually doing UND a favor. I really believe that most people actually know that, it just isn't easy to swallow.

Excellent post.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Summit really wants UND, and Kelley/SBoHE is working hard to make that happen. The other thing that is clearly aparent is that the Summit Commishioner is paying close attention. It isn't helping your university that many people on this board are bashing both Douple and the Summit League. With some of the statements that he has made, it wouldn't surprise me for Douple to promote grabbing Denver or Utah Valley if the nickname situation is significantly delayed or the fan base continues to bash the Summit. I think your president has some vision on this issue and is trying to move swiftly.

If the people on this board think that the nickname is more important than real conference affilication, they are dead wrong. If they think UND can make it work in the Great West, or that other conferences will come calling to the Canada border, dead wrong again. If you think that the nickname is the most important thing, you might as well stick a fork in every program you have except Hockey If you think that a nickname is more important than baseball, volleyball, soccer, softball, track&field, etc . . . get your DII application ready because you will not be able to recruit as athletes will choose ncaa eligible options. Yeah, I expect everyone to fight for the nickname and thumb their nose at trading the nickname for a Summit bid . . . but let's face it, if you want to be DI it's your only option unless you can get all your sports into the WCHA. The SBoHE will be burned at the stake for their decision, but they are actually doing UND a favor. I really believe that most people actually know that, it just isn't easy to swallow.

There is a lunatic fringe out there that would do just that and not lose a wink of sleep over it.

I think the Summit really wants UND, and Kelly/SBoHE is working hard to make that happen. The other thing that is clearly aparent is that the Summit Commishioner is paying close attention. It isn't helping your university that many people on this board are bashing both Douple and the Summit League. With some of the statements that he has made, it wouldn't surprise me for Douple to promote grabbing Denver or Utah Valley if the nickname situation is significantly delayed or the fan base continues to bash the Summit. I think your president has some vision on this issue.

I don't think that anything said on this board or any other internet forum is going to make a difference to Douple or the Summit. First, I'm sure that they understand the reaction of many to losing the very popular nickname and logo. Second, it is the quality of the institution and how it fits with the league that matters, not what some anonymous people have to say. I seem to remember a lot of NDSU fans putting the Summit (Midcontinent at the time) League down when those fans were sure that NDSU was going to get into the Big Sky. It didn't seem to make much of a difference at that time.

I don't think that anything said on this board or any other internet forum is going to make a difference to Douple or the Summit. First, I'm sure that they understand the reaction of many to losing the very popular nickname and logo. Second, it is the quality of the institution and how it fits with the league that matters, not what some anonymous people have to say. I seem to remember a lot of NDSU fans putting the Summit (Midcontinent at the time) League down when those fans were sure that NDSU was going to get into the Big Sky. It didn't seem to make much of a difference at that time.

You could be right . . . but judging from many of the statements that Douple has made, he seems like he is a pretty good historian on the entire DI histroy in North Dakota. Seems like he is also paying close attention to the newpapers. Presonally, I think Douple does way too much talking to the media for his own good. Again, you could be right.

I think the Summit really wants UND, and Kelley/SBoHE is working hard to make that happen. The other thing that is clearly aparent is that the Summit Commishioner is paying close attention. It isn't helping your university that many people on this board are bashing both Douple and the Summit League. With some of the statements that he has made, it wouldn't surprise me for Douple to promote grabbing Denver or Utah Valley if the nickname situation is significantly delayed or the fan base continues to bash the Summit. I think your president has some vision on this issue and is trying to move swiftly.

Hey Mr. Douple, I just want to say hi and I hope you have a good weekend. Since you care so much about what some fans say on a message board maybe this will make you feel better. I wonder if he has siouxsports set as a favorite on his computer.

Do you honestly think that Douple will look at all the information given to him but than say well you'd be in if it wasn't for those guys on siouxsports.com? They posted some really mean things about me so I am sorry, your out.

There is a lunatic fringe out there that would do just that and not lose a wink of sleep over it.

Yes, that's the group that would be happy in DII. Now DI or DII is all the same. UND wouldn't get into the Northern Sun any easier than they would get into the Summit or any other DI conference. The NAIA probably would be the only affiliation that wouldn't care about the nickname.

Count me in. I dig Hockey and Football. The other activities are only for those who can't compete in the first two. :D

Yes, yes. The issue is complex. Much at stake. Must take action. Blah blah blah. I get it. And, just how did it get that way? How could something as trivial as a sports team name balloon into this political firestorm? Because only in "crisis" can you take power from many and give to the few. Hmmmm, where else is this blueprint being followed?

Holy crap, after years and years of handwringing, we finally asked the Native Americans to weigh in on the issue. They did, at significant personal effort and cost. And the Enlightened realized that they too were racist and must be ignored. White Man's way, again.

Sad day for the good folks at Spirit Lake who dared to speak truth to power.

Taz Lunatic Boy Stands with Spirit Lake!

Lets be reasonable here, the WCHA has Big 10 teams in it, and the MVFC is one of the top mid-major conferences in the country. You don't just walk into those situations, you either build them or prove you belong and get an invite into them. Douple, who gets blasted here considerably, wants UND because he is trying to build.

The Summit has long been a conference with no indentity and he is trying to build a footprint and the Dakota core is a big part of that. With the four Dakota school the Summit is a slam dunk over the Big Sky, it will be a mid-major conference on the rise.

Wow I think I have to agree with FargoBison on this one. What does the BigSky have that we want. It's an established conference yeah but where are our rivalries, and the costs would be much greater. As for the Big 10 that would be AWESOME but what are they going to do expand the Alerus or rebuild Memorial Stadium to hold 30,000 people. I don't know what the minimum facility requirements are for football but I don't think we are there.

The Summit even if it is not as revered as other conferences is still a conference with NDSU. I want that rivalry back on every front. And who knows maybe with the schools that we are talking about they would add football to the conference. Again I don't know the logistics but it would make sense.

Drum roll please....................and the award for the most moronic post in this thread.........goes to Goon!!! Congrats on achieving such a high level of stupidity!

Right back at you skippy.

Wow I think I have to agree with FargoBison on this one. What does the BigSky have that we want. It's an established conference yeah but where are our rivalries, and the costs would be much greater. As for the Big 10 that would be AWESOME but what are they going to do expand the Alerus or rebuild Memorial Stadium to hold 30,000 people. I don't know what the minimum facility requirements are for football but I don't think we are there.

The Summit even if it is not as revered as other conferences is still a conference with NDSU. I want that rivalry back on every front. And who knows maybe with the schools that we are talking about they would add football to the conference. Again I don't know the logistics but it would make sense.

no matter what, no way NDSU leaves the MVFC for a Summit football conference!

If the people on this board think that the nickname is more important than real conference affilication, they are dead wrong. If they think UND can make it work in the Great West, or that other conferences will come calling to the Canada border, dead wrong again. If you think that the nickname is the most important thing, you might as well stick a fork in every program you have except Hockey. If you think that a nickname is more important than baseball, volleyball, soccer, softball, track&field, etc . . . get your DII application ready because you will not be able to recruit as athletes will choose ncaa eligible options. Yeah, I expect everyone to fight for the nickname and thumb their nose at trading the nickname for a Summit bid . . . but let's face it, if you want to be DI it's your only option unless you can get all your sports into the WCHA. The SBoHE will be burned at the stake for their decision, but they are actually doing UND a favor. I really believe that most people actually know that, it just isn't easy to swallow.

Thanks Herd. You may be right, or maybe not. But I don't want to hear this just yet. I have a hard time giving away 80 years of tradition to join the prestigious Summit conference. Let's say that one more time...Summ-it...ooh, yeah, I could really feel it that time.

And let me formally ask the SBoHE and Roberto Kelley to not do us any more favors.

I guess we didn't know how good we had it in the heyday of the NCC/WCHA.

Thanks Herd. You may be right, or maybe not. But I don't want to hear this just yet. I have a hard time giving away 80 years of tradition to join the prestigious Summit conference. Let's say that one more time...Summ-it...ooh, yeah, I could really feel it that time.

And let me formally ask the SBoHE and Roberto Kelley to not do us any more favors.

I guess we didn't know how good we had it in the heyday of the NCC/WCHA.

Let face it, a future with the nickname isn't much of a future unless there is an 11th hour miracle from the gods of Thundar. The only caviot is to try to salvage something as you lose the name. If you sacrifice the nickname quickly for achieving conference affiliation, that seems like about the best option you have right now. Those who would rather fall on their sword aren't thinking very clearly and don't have the best interests of the university in mind. Ask your coaches of every sponrt what they would do (except possibly hockey).

Ask your coaches of every sponrt what they would do (except possibly hockey).

I hate to say this but Hockey drives UND. What is the first thing people say when they talk about UND, it isn't the great weather it's the hockey team

and it's storied program at UND.

I hate to say this but Hockey drives UND. What is the first thing people say when they talk about UND, it isn't the great weather it's the hockey team

and it's storied program at UND.

I disagree that "Hockey drives UND". It has a huge presence, especially in the Athletic Department. It is the most well known entity in the Athletic Department. But if you talked to a variety of people around the country that know about UND I would say that there are other parts of the school, like the Aerospace School, that would get a lot of attention.

Now as far as Hockey being the big dog in the Athletic Department, that doesn't mean it should damage the other programs. Conference membership in an auto-bid conference is huge for all of the other sports on campus. A move to the Summit would be great for all sports other than hockey and football. There are 17 other sports on campus, with hundreds of student-athletes, that would be able to take advantage of this opportunity.

It will suck if UND has to actually give up the nickname, especially for the hockey program since they have done the most to build it up. But that sacrifice will probably have to be made for the rest of the Athletic Department and the rest of the school to prosper.

Actually, in today's economy, I think we should cut the AD by 80%.

Leave Football, Men's and Women's Hockey, Men's and Women's Basketball, and one other women's sport. Then cut the rest. Blame the economy and minimize the impact of all this.

(Ok, this is tongue in cheek people so don't flame me!)

Leave Football, Men's and Women's Hockey, Men's and Women's Basketball, and one other women's sport. Then cut the rest. Blame the economy and minimize the impact of all this.

Aiyeeee! The Title IX people just had their heads explode!!

I asked Kelly point blank about the nickname and stammered like he was doing a Nancy Pelosi impersnation. I told him that a lot of people love that name and that a few people shouldn't push their political agenda on us. He kept referring to Mr. Horse is Thunder has having a valid point and that all sides should be respected. I told him that Horse is Thunder won't even go and look at the Ralph. He calls it names and yet we still treat him like royalty when he visits here. He stammered some more and then admitted he didn't know anything about hockey and that he used to go to school or teach or some crap in Berkely. Right then and there I thought this guy doesn't like the name. He'll get a big ol' atta boy from his liberal friends. Mark my words, we will see a present, donation, or something from Horse is Thunder soon. Let's all be friends now. As long as you do what we want, we'll be friends with you.

Some people on here are saying they want to fight back. Man it's frustrating because board is so protected. My advice is to never buy the Herald again (they are a party to this), never vote for Pomeroy, Hoeven, Dorgan, or Conrad again, boo the heck out of Kelly everytime he is on camera, avoid the race baiting crap they're doing to distract us and "prove their point", and keep the faith. Most of the people on here are true fans and might I add, patriots. You have backbone. Let's adopt the scorched Earth policy and fight wherever we can.

One way you can fight is to not support anything that the Standing Rock Tribe has affiliation with. If you live in the S.C. or S.W. part of the state, BOYCOTT Prairie Knights. Take your money and go to a local Bingo Parlor or go support the local organizations that run bingo and other gaming sites in your town. The way I see it is, let our money talk. That is right, I am taking my money and staying home.

I can get away with this because I've said it before:

If a program isn't self-supporting fiscally it shouldn't exist at a public academic institution (college or high school).

New football helmet or new math textbooks should never be an either/or question.

Commence hatin' on me at will.

The obvious answer: football. The Summit Conference does nothing for the football program. The GWFC simply cannot attract more teams. The writing is on the wall that the GWFC is not a viable conference in the long term. UND needs to get its football conference affiliation resolved soon.

Personally, I like the idea of being in the same conference as the other three Dakota schools. But all things being equal, the Big Sky would much better than the Summit solely due to the fact that it sponsors football. But the Big Sky is apparently not interested in UND, so it's a moot point. The Summit appears to be the only viable conference that is actually interested in UND.

Since the vast majority of the posters here want the Fighting Sioux nickname to continue at UND, here's something to ponder: shouldn't someone at the actual university that bears the name take a public, active, vocal, point position to persuade people that the name should be kept? I understand fully that the SBoHE's role here, but that certainly doesn't mean someone at UND can't speak on behalf of the name. They know how to do a sell job when they are raising money, but to keep the name we are hearing crickets. Are Kelly and Faison telling the board they don't want the name? Are we advocating on behalf of a name the university doesn't even want anymore?