SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

That is actually somewhat of a fair point. Yeah, if some idiot is willing to participate in something as ridiculous as fighting... okay, I won't feel too sorry for him when he walks away from it with a broken nose and missing teeth. I get that part of it. But still, it doesn't mean I should have to be subjected to that garbage when I want to watch a hockey game. If I wanted to see a couple of knuckledraggers try to rearrange each other's faces I'd watch that ultimate fighting crap that is all over PPV these days.

As for the example given of Blake accidentally injuring a Gopher player in an attempt to knock the puck away... hey, that's hockey. It's a physical game and sometimes players get hurt in the act of trying to make a play. Blake wasn't trying to hurt the guy, he was trying to make a play. If the Gophers sent a goon out there to fight Blake because of what happened, that would be wrong in my opinion. If somebody gets hurt making a play it's an accident, but if somebody gets hurt in a fight it's intentional.

The Blake play was a wild golf swing though...still have it on video, and my remarks were in response to your comments of players not getting injured when wearing appropriate padding. Rules state a player will have control of his stick at all times. He hardly had any control over that swing from the time he let go until impact. No penatly was called on the play. Did I mind as a Sioux fan? Absolutely not. As a hockey fan...he probably should have been ejected from the game. Refs missed it completely, but the Gopher player had the puck and Blake was the only other play in the screens view, so the refs should have caught it.

As for the fighting, if you're watching a game on TV, turn the channel. You know typically how long a fight lasts. If you're at the game, run to the concessions. Sure you might get pegged in the head for getting in another fans way, but you're not bound to watch it. Close your eyes. Unfortunately for you, it's part of the game with a penalty assessed. Not sure what else to tell you.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...... players not getting injured when wearing appropriate padding.

The sticks by Malkin and Crosby that started this craziness, were, as described by the announcers, sticks placed carefully in "areas were there is no padding or protection". That, as far as I'm concerned, is an attempt to injure. Of course, the clock was running which I guess, by one person's definition, is within the context of the game :lol:

Now that you've sparked my curiosity, what was the date on that game? I'll have to see if I have it in my collection.

I don't remember exact dates, but it was the Gophers series at the Ralph. I want to say either February 14th or 15th, 1998.

You're getting way too worked up over something that is very tame when placed into proper perspective.

Things from you are not in proper perspective, but rather DaveK perspective. You are flat wrong, and has been posted above, out or your gord.

I don't remember exact dates, but it was the Gophers series at the Ralph. I want to say either February 14th or 15th, 1998.

You are correct, that was the Sunday afternoon game. The "comeback classic". One of the best ever games at the Old Ralph. Sioux were down either 3-0 or 4-0 with 17 mins left in the 3rd and came back and completed the sweep. On the Jason Blake play, it did not look intentional, but looked like it hurt. I believe the Gopher defensman was Brett Abrahamson

Wow, you have the maturity of a 3rd grader. I'm impressed. :lol:

Now, you go ahead and have the last word that you so desperately crave. I know you really want to even though you keep suggesting that I do. I don't feel the need to satisfy myself in such juvenile ways as you do.

Typical when you lose the argument you resort to name calling how narcissistic of you. :lol: I am sure you will get the last word.

It isn't a matter of right or wrong, it's a difference of opinion.

Agree, but your opinion is wrong :lol: (or at best opposite of 99%+ of all hockey fans) , and that's the last post for me on this going in circles subject.

hell of a game. the pens did everything they needed to do to win that. blocked tons of shots and held off the wings 3rd period rush. wow. cant wait for game 7!! 2 great teams

Is Game 7 on NBC or Versus?....I normally look the day of, but I want to plan because I won't be home that night and i want to watch. The Pens played very well, however they have to play even better on Friday because Detroit is a hard team to beat at home. And Game 7 atmosphere is going to be tough.

hell of a game. the pens did everything they needed to do to win that. blocked tons of shots and held off the wings 3rd period rush. wow. cant wait for game 7!! 2 great teams

Holy Cow, was a pretty good game. I hope the Pens can win game 7.

Game on CBC.

I think that 99+% of all hockey fans (including myself) would agree that penalties should be called on the kind of plays that you're referring to, but it is a much smaller percentage that will go to such great lengths to vilify players for every little thing. Again, save the outrage for the really serious stuff like the Bertuzzi and McSorely incidents. I highly doubt that 99+% of all hockey fans were disgusted with Crosby and Malkin in Game 5.

As for the notion that only somebody who never played hockey could think the way that I do... what about all of the hockey players who play the way that gets some of you people all riled up? Are you naive enough to think that all of those guys are appalled at their own actions? Pretty much shreds that "only somebody who never played the game could think that way" theory.

DaveK's Motto:

Screw being an adult and working things out between 2 parties when you can just be a coward the rest of your life.

What would you rather be known by in your job? A cowardly person? Or a fortitudinous person?

And I'm really ok with you having your own opinion. It just mind-boggles me(and most everyone else on here) that you believe the 2 acts are somehow so completely different and that one is reprehensible while the other is a part of the game. When in reality, I would venture to guess that one is the cause that created the effect 98%(+/- π) of the time.

It isn't a matter of right or wrong, it's a difference of opinion. Surely you aren't so full of yourself that you define somebody's opinion as "wrong" just because you don't feel the same way... are you?

Yet you say the majority of us are not using the "proper perspective." It would seem to me that perspective would drive opinion, so in essence you're calling the majority opinion wrong as well.

I think that 99+% of all hockey fans (including myself) would agree that penalties should be called on the kind of plays that you're referring to, but it is a much smaller percentage that will go to such great lengths to vilify players for every little thing. Again, save the outrage for the really serious stuff like the Bertuzzi and McSorely incidents. I highly doubt that 99+% of all hockey fans were disgusted with Crosby and Malkin in Game 5.

As for the notion that only somebody who never played hockey could think the way that I do... what about all of the hockey players who play the way that gets some of you people all riled up? Are you naive enough to think that all of those guys are appalled at their own actions? Pretty much shreds that "only somebody who never played the game could think that way" theory.

As a matter of fact, you're wrong. There are players that play that way, and there are repercussions when they do. Someone on the other team can drop the mitts with them and let it be known that they are going to have to answer for their actions. In your opinion, that shouldn't happen. You say that players should be able to make knee on knee hits, use their sticks to hack, slash and spear and the player that is in the receiving end of that and his teammates should just "get over it". What I am saying is that there is a place for fighting in the game - and I'd say that the majority feel that way.

As a matter of fact, you're wrong. There are players that play that way, and there are repercussions when they do. Someone on the other team can drop the mitts with them and let it be known that they are going to have to answer for their actions. In your opinion, that shouldn't happen. You say that players should be able to make knee on knee hits, use their sticks to hack, slash and spear and the player that is in the receiving end of that and his teammates should just "get over it". What I am saying is that there is a place for fighting in the game - and I'd say that the majority feel that way.

That is a good point. For example If another player slashed/kneed/punched/ Milan Lucic will eventually extract his pound of flesh and he is going to fight them. That is the code that is the way hockey is.

What you're advocating is essentially a form of letting the inmates run the asylum. Please see my Colin Campbell quote for a better perspective. 5 minutes in the box is a slap on the wrist for such boorish behavior. The NHL needs to fine and suspend these guys like every other major pro sports league does.

You mean like your boy Colin Campbell did with Scott Walker of the Hurricanes when he SUCKERPUNCHED Aaron Ward IN THE FACE? According to you, that is the worst thing ever you can do, and that Colin Campbell takes care of this, right? Your quote says:

Walker should have been suspended. Still, the concept of letting the players police the game is like letting the inmates run the asylum. If Don Cherry's "code" is so great why do other sports fine and suspend players for fighting? It's not like hockey is the only sport with cheap shots? Better yet, why not allow vigilantism in society? Do away with law enforcement and let people police themselves. If somebody robs you, rather than call the cops you could drag them into the street and challenge them to duke it out. Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? No more so than Don Cherry's "code".

Your analogies are not anywhere near even close; good grief.

Admittedly the analogy to society is not even close. I was being sarcastic to make a point. But one pro sport with cheap shots to another pro sport with cheap shots is a direct comparison. In the NFL players get cheap-shotted all the time, yet there is no "code" that allows them to rip the other player's helmet off and stage a boxing match at the 50 yard line. If that ever happened fines and suspensions would be handed down, but in the NHL all they get is a slap on the wrist 5 minute penalty. Why should it be any different in one contact sport than another?

Sounds like you need to limit your sporting interests to basketball and football.

Admittedly the analogy to society is not even close. I was being sarcastic to make a point. But one pro sport with cheap shots to another pro sport with cheap shots is a direct comparison. In the NFL players get cheap-shotted all the time, yet there is no "code" that allows them to rip the other player's helmet off and stage a boxing match at the 50 yard line. If that ever happened fines and suspensions would be handed down, but in the NHL all they get is a slap on the wrist 5 minute penalty. Why should it be any different in one contact sport than another?

Fact......it's part of the NHL game.

Can anybody give me logical justification for why it is that way in the NHL but not in the NFL? After all, they're both contact sports and they both have cheap shots. If this "code" was so effective, then surely the NFL would get with the program, no?

Logical answer? Tradition of the game. Hockey's a unique game in that fighting is allowed. Want to break the tradition? Why? Traditions mean nothing? I know you feel differently about the Fighting Sioux name and their rich tradition. Another part of the Fighting Sioux TRADITION is standing up for teammates, and if that means dropping the gloves, they do it. Do I agree with fighting in public? Not at all. (Oh, as for your earlier post where you questioned people just going out to the street to drop them, I live in the south. Down here, you just get shot. :lol: ). But fighting in hockey...it's been around since longer than I can remember.

And Dave, if the fighting turns you off so much, why did you even become a fan of the game? If I recall correctly, we're basically the same age, which means you probably became a fan of hockey when fighting was present in games even more than it is now. If it was such a turn off to you, wouldn't you turn the channel, and not give two beans about the sport?