SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NHL PLAYOFFS

AZSIOUX

Seems most great NHL teams have at least two great centers (Gretzky/Messier for example).

they do have an embarassment of riches in that category... but lets play the what if game... what if, after already securing crosby and malkin, the pens take jonny toews instead of jordan staal with the #2 overall pick??... nothing against staal, he is a solid player, but with toews they would have three of the top centers in the game... would have been fun to watch, even if you aren't a pens fan.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This potential Penguins/Red Wings rematch seems very similar to the Oilers/Islanders rematch back in 1984. I could be wrong, but I'm starting to feel like maybe the Penguins are a team of destiny.

Your wrong

I don't know what the outcome would have been if Bruins played the Pens, but I do know one thing:

It would have been a series.

No offense to Bayda, but Ward is the only reason why they weren't an open round sweep ala Columbus. The series wasn't really exciting at all. It was basically one sided.

The Hurricanes didn't look like they even belonged in the playoffs much less on the same sheet of ice as the Penguins.

This gives Penguins an edge in that they were, imo, less tested than Detroit has been in the semis and that makes them pretty high in momentum.

Detroit and the Penguins had an inverse playoff it seems. Detroit had it easy at first and it got progressively tougher. The Penguins had it tough early and it dropped off against Carolina.

So, I think Detroit enters or will enter the Finals having fought harder. However, having Huet in net for the Hawks will rest Detroit's offense. I wouldn't dress Datsyuk or Draper at all if Huet starts. Huet gives up 3 out of hand. Any more than 3 goals is gravy for the opposition.

I think this favors Pittsburgh.

IIRC, I believe Detroit is more banged up than Pittsburgh.

Nevertheless, I think this will be an exciting finals.

Offense is a push

Goaltending is a push (I still the Fleury is overrated but has played well. Osgood has played better than he has all season long but is still a ticking time bomb looking at this season)

PP is a push (without looking at the numbers)

PK and Defense will be the big tellers.

Chicago goes down in OT.

No more former Sioux in the playoffs.

After watching this game here are my thoughts:

1. If Huet played more like he did tonight, I wouldn't call him a big time sieve.

2. Osgood played well, but IMO, Huet played better.

3. EVERY SINGLE GOAL in this game was legit. No weak goals and no lucky goals.

4. The save on Franzen (I think) with seconds left by Huet was brilliant. Lucky, but brilliant.

5. I think Pittsburgh is going to be in excellent position for the Finals. Hossa is playing injured. Chelios is playing less than 10 minutes a game because otherwise his sciatica acts up/might break a hip/might outskate his adult diaper.

6. If Holmstrom plays like he did tonight with a man up, he shouldn't get any PP time. AT ALL. Seriously, that was one of the dumbest penalties I've ever seen. No need to take a penalty like he did and it is dangerous. I'm all for being instigator and getting under the other team's skin, but that play was dirty. Pains me to say that about someone I generally like, but it was a dirty play.

7. This was the definition of a great game. Both teams played very well.

Chicago goes down in OT.

No more former Sioux in the playoffs.

After watching this game here are my thoughts:

1. If Huet played more like he did tonight, I wouldn't call him a big time sieve.

2. Osgood played well, but IMO, Huet played better.

3. EVERY SINGLE GOAL in this game was legit. No weak goals and no lucky goals.

4. The save on Franzen (I think) with seconds left by Huet was brilliant. Lucky, but brilliant.

5. I think Pittsburgh is going to be in excellent position for the Finals. Hossa is playing injured. Chelios is playing less than 10 minutes a game because otherwise his sciatica acts up/might break a hip/might outskate his adult diaper.

6. If Holmstrom plays like he did tonight with a man up, he shouldn't get any PP time. AT ALL. Seriously, that was one of the dumbest penalties I've ever seen. No need to take a penalty like he did and it is dangerous. I'm all for being instigator and getting under the other team's skin, but that play was dirty. Pains me to say that about someone I generally like, but it was a dirty play.

7. This was the definition of a great game. Both teams played very well.

This was my definition of a yawner and here is my definition of the Redwings (oooh click me).

The Pens would have absolutely DESTROYED the Bruins. Boston would have had no answer for Malkin and Crosby.

So now you're going to argue a hypothetical? So how many more pages are we going to burn up? Give me a break If I remember the Bruins

owned the Pens this past season. The bruins made Fluery their BI***. Don't forget to get the last word.

Meh.

It wasn't a yawner. There were something like 70+ shots in the game and tons of great saves.

Maybe you would have preferred the game to go completely offensive: 6 on 6, no goaltenders for 60 minutes? ;)

And hypothetical arguments are fun!

Here's one:

The Cubs are going to win the World Series by sweeping the Royals.

:D

Sure it's possible, but hypothetically speaking, it's absolutely going to happen. :)

I remember a 5-1 ass whooping where Lucic worked over one of the Pen's goons.

Seriously... can we quit this Pens/Bruins debate? They didn't play in the postseason. There's no reason to argue over what will never happen in this postseason... There's no reason to argue what happened in the season either b/c everyone knows it doesn't matter what happened during the season in the postseason. so whoever started this debate, let's end it now.

that said....

Pens/*yawn*Red wings... thoughts? ;)

I think the result this year could be different. The Penquins are a year older and wiser and are playing their best hockey when it counts the most. The Red Wings are still a formidable team, but they are not as dominant as last season and they are banged up at the worst possible time. This is the first time since 1984 that we have had a Stanley Cup rematch and the situation is very similar. In 1983, the Islanders won their fourth straight Cup by beating the Wayne Gretzky-led Oilers. In 1984, the Oilers won the first of four Cups in five years (and five Cups in seven years) by beating the Islanders. I think history is about to repeat itself.

My pick: Penquins in 6.

top end talent goes to the pens

role players goes to the wings

defense is fairly even, although with lidstrom out (and erikson possibly?), obviously this tips the scale to the pens

goalies both playing well, although both can give up weak ones at times, i give the edge to ma fleury

i think experience is a wash even though detroit has more

neither have an ex-sioux player, which is a detriment to both, but a wash nonetheless

both teams are playing well right now, should be a great series

my prediction (if lidstrom, datsyk, et. al. are out) pens in 6 with at least one route

if the wings dudes are back... pens in 7 with 2 ot thrillers!!

i love nhl playoffs!!! even to the casual fan, you can't tell me you would rather watch the cavs and magic shoot the bouncy ball and slap each other around??

sid, malkin and the pens in 6. detroit may be a little banged up overall still and i think the way the pens are playing its gona cause problems. even straight up say pens this year. the wngs are just so damn good in all areas of the game but ill take the pens this year.

sid, malkin and the pens in 6. detroit may be a little banged up overall still and i think the way the pens are playing its gona cause problems. even straight up say pens this year. the wngs are just so damn good in all areas of the game but ill take the pens this year.

On the injury front I saw where someone said Pavel D skated today but it wasn't very hard.

On the injury front I saw where someone said Pavel D skated today but it wasn't very hard.

With their depth at foward, the Wings might be able to get away with Pavs being out. However, Lidstrom and Ericsson absolutely need to be in the lineup because they can't skate with five defenseman or Chelios and Meech. I say if the Wings are healthy, their depth will prevail and they'll win in 6 or 7, have to be optimistic about my team. ;)