SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey via Satellite

best0186

Fortunately, thought, I have DirecTV and can get them on FCS.

does anybody wonder whether not it's more than a coincidence that right at the sam

e time Fox signed a contract with UND for national coverage of Sioux games on a paid subscription basis, all of a sudden the signal strength people were getting the games for free across the country went to crap?

I don't think it's a coincidence, because I can see where they would want this busiess deal to be effective for both parties involved (UND & FCS). Having less people able to pluck the feed with FTA satellite means more potential customers from the FCS side to make the deal worth-while. It sucks for those of us with FTA systems, but UND sports reaches a larger audience with the national FCS deal, thus providing benefit to the university.

does anybody wonder whether not it's more than a coincidence that right at the same time Fox signed a contract with UND for national coverage of Sioux games on a paid subscription basis, all of a sudden the signal strength people were getting the games for free across the country went to crap?

Last year they were on FCS and the FTA signal was just fine. Its actually the transponder they are using. I have seen a few other games on that transponder (12065) and the signal is low on that too. So its not just the Sioux feed. Since transponder space costs different amounts of money maybe they went the inexpensive route....and unless you have a 1.2m dish or larger we're paying for it

My 36" was fine the whole game...right above threshold but stable.

Oh also for the folks with sports pack on Directv here is a trick to get a discount on it. If you have had it on the account for at least 30 days call and cancel it. The cust svc rep will offer to replace it with movie channels, Say no and you'll get transferred to a premier channel account rep. They try to save you by offering $10 off a month for 6 moths on the sports pack. Most reps have been offering this. If they dont and cancel it, just log into your account the next day and add it back.

As for the 30 day thing, all premiums need to be on the account 30 days or they charge $5 to remove it from the account.

I thought of not posting this info as Pete (PSB) feels any and every one of my posts regardless of the content warrants the negative on this stupid reputation system but I really dont care. He even went as far as getting me banned for giving him negative posts.

If you want more info about Directv or lots of good info on how to get the best out of your free to air system (and a board that is very busy with good folks to help out) come on over to www.satelliteguys.us

I use the same handle there and am more than happy to help folks out :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Don't know why you added this but the ban was for multiple user accounts from the same IP.

interesting...how would you know why I was banned? Thats not the reason I was given by the way so I find it insulting that the owner of the site would tell other members why someone was banned.

oh and I added that because it is the TRUTH. I posted the above before and before I replied about the Directv thing he had negatived my post. So I removed it and redid it all as one post :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

a large change huh?

Yeah like you and Pete going through all my posts and making them a negative again regardless of what was said? Which gee sounds like the same thing you two were doing.

uh huh...and again the reason I was given was different than what you apparently claim I was banned for.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've had a FTA for the past couple years and I've loved it! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch a single game on it this year.

Fortunately, thought, I have DirecTV and can get them on FCS.

Now...to complain about the Ralph or UND being disloyal to the fans because of the low signal is a bit unfair. Tell me...how many of us are now able to watch our teams across the country on more "mainstream" cable and satellite systems because of the contract they signed with FCS to carry the games? I'd say the university has taken greater steps toward fan loyalty than away from it. Sure, it isn't "free," but this is the type of exposure most of us fans have been clamoring for.

It sucks to lose the FTA option, but our options for watching Sioux sports on something other than local cable is far more that I had ever hoped for at this point.

I was out of line for that comment. Just the way things go with the University the last couple years I for one feel "loyalty" is not high on their priority list. But I do agree they have made great steps in allowing us around the country to watch games. I see now those comments look bad. Sorry if I offended anybody.

Thanks Jim!

Let's get back to my conspiracy theories...

The fact that last year the FTA feed was good and that is when Fox started Sioux broadcasts does not discount my theory..

Several things could explain this:

1. The folks at Fox could have realized the situation during the season and had to Wait until the next season to make sure that the FSSN goes to a crappy transponder to screw the FTA folks.

2. The contract with Fox could have been done last year AFTER the contract with the Satellite company which placed the FSSN on a specific transponder location.

3. The ratings for the games last year could have been inconsistent with what Fox predicted causing them to look into why. Only then did they realize the reality of the numbers of FTA Sioux fans.

Here is a question worth asking;

How many Sioux fans have FTA systems??

I wonder how this could be known??

I was out of line for that comment. Just the way things go with the University the last couple years I for one feel "loyalty" is not high on their priority list. But I do agree they have made great steps in allowing us around the country to watch games. I see now those comments look bad. Sorry if I offended anybody.

No problem, and I wasn't offended. I just thought the University should get a little credit where due - ;)

Thanks Jim!

Let's get back to my conspiracy theories...

The fact that last year the FTA feed was good and that is when Fox started Sioux broadcasts does not discount my theory..

Several things could explain this:

1. The folks at Fox could have realized the situation during the season and had to Wait until the next season to make sure that the FSSN goes to a crappy transponder to screw the FTA folks.

2. The contract with Fox could have been done last year AFTER the contract with the Satellite company which placed the FSSN on a specific transponder location.

3. The ratings for the games last year could have been inconsistent with what Fox predicted causing them to look into why. Only then did they realize the reality of the numbers of FTA Sioux fans.

Here is a question worth asking;

How many Sioux fans have FTA systems??

I wonder how this could be known??

I think the fact that the Ralph posts the satellite coordinates every year means they are aware of a number of viewers with FTA systems and they try to accommodate them as best they can. I have no idea what the contract with FCS states, but I would think that as long as they post the coordinates they're not trying to keep the feed off-limits (at least until someone blind-scans it and posts it!).

No problem, and I wasn't offended. I just thought the University should get a little credit where due - ;)

I think the fact that the Ralph posts the satellite coordinates every year means they are aware of a number of viewers with FTA systems and they try to accommodate them as best they can. I have no idea what the contract with FCS states, but I would think that as long as they post the coordinates they're not trying to keep the feed off-limits (at least until someone blind-scans it and posts it!).

The satellite companies placed limits on the amount of power theralph can push, so between Fox and directtv (either or both), FTA'ers are getting kicked to the curb. Seems like a 1.2m dish is the breaking point for most right now, although one guy with an 8 footer had problems on Saturday, while one other with a hotdish90 got the feed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The satellite companies placed limits on the amount of power theralph can push, so between Fox and directtv (either or both), FTA'ers are getting kicked to the curb. Seems like a 1.2m dish is the breaking point for most right now, although one guy with an 8 footer had problems on Saturday, while one other with a hotdish90 got the feed.

Sprig, there was one series Denver where I was getting the signal around 72-73 with my 30 incher and Pete was having troubles? So it seems everyone on here has had problems some nights where others did not? Is there a Satellite god that can answer that?? lol!! Hopefully moving my more west will help next series and hopefully by then I will have a larger dish.

What do I have to tell Direct Tv people to get FCS? I just talked to one getting some prices and could not give me a quote because they didn't know what sports pack? Anybody out there that can help me out?

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/premiums/sports_pack?footernavtype=-1

Just one premium called the sports pack (see link); try calling again and maybe you'll get a customer service rep with better knowledge. I don't have directv, so I'm going by what others have posted (that FCS is part of this Fox Sports all regionals package).

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/premiums/sports_pack?footernavtype=-1

Just one premium called the sports pack (see link); try calling again and maybe you'll get a customer service rep with better knowledge. I don't have directv, so I'm going by what others have posted (that FCS is part of this Fox Sports all regionals package).

I have DirecTV, and what Sprig said is correct. Live FCS events will be on channels 617, 623, and I think occasionally 625.

It doesn't sound as bad when you read that their local Time-Warner basic cable prices are slated to go up 8.5% in 2011. I'll take DirecTV over cable any day of the week (except when it's raining hard and I haven't put any rain shield on my dish for a while... ;) )

It doesn't sound as bad when you read that their local Time-Warner basic cable prices are slated to go up 8.5% in 2011. I'll take DirecTV over cable any day of the week (except when it's raining hard and I haven't put any rain shield on my dish for a while... ;) )

Same here, I have not used Rain Shield for about a year now, and I really notice it's not there : (

I will stick with Free TV only here, it's against my religion to pay for TV

FTA satellite, Over the Air Digital TV and Streaming TV only here : )

(Over Xmas about 60% of my viewing has been online, 20% FTA satellite and 20% Off air)

• Downvote 1

Just got my new 1 meter Winegard. Need to set it up now but I don't know if I want to do that in a blizzard but I'm guessing I will! :blush: I will post the results I have with the 1 meter over my 30 inch Winegard. PLEASE let it work!!!

Winegard is the Rolls Royce of Satellite dish! So this should really help pull the Sioux signal out of the GARBAGE : )

And you can sell your smaller dish as it works perfectly for every other FTA signal up there : )

Good Luck and HAPPY 2011

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1