SiouxSports.com Forum

Congrats NDSU

jloos

I say heck, the Bison are already there- they already have guaranteed their check for making the tournament (which to me is what I'm jealous of, I wish we could get that infusion into our athletic budget)- I don't have a problem wishing them well. They have accompolished a lot with that win- and deserve the recognition they are getting. There are very few times in my life I could ever consider wishing that program well-but this indeed is one of them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say heck, the Bison are already there- they already have guaranteed their check for making the tournament (which to me is what I'm jealous of, I wish we could get that infusion into our athletic budget)- I don't have a problem wishing them well. They have accompolished a lot with that win- and deserve the recognition they are getting. There are very few times in my life I could ever consider wishing that program well-but this indeed is one of them.

We're discussing this on Bisonville right now. Because of the agreement we signed to get into the Summit, NDSU(and SDSU & IPFW) will not receive any part of the basketball pie for another two years(three years in total). We have started receiving money from the NCAA this year for the other payout programs, just not for basketball. Eventually, our share of the basketball payment will be around $125,000/year; more if us or another Summit team manages to eek out a win.

You don't have to cheer for the Bison to respect what they've accomplished. NDSU didn't blaze the transition trail to Div I/FSC (programs have been doing it for years), but they've done it as well as anyone has in years. They certainly exceeded my expectations through great planning, solid coaching, excellent marketing, strong fan/administrative support -- and a little luck along the way. I've heard more than one UND coach compliment their strategy and execution.

As to the financial rewards, I believe I heard Gene Taylor say today that the AC (can't let the lovefest go on forever) forfeited any NCAA tournament income (which I believe flows through the league) for three years as part of the price of admission to the Summit.

I see the point your are making, but for the people to say that because we don't support NDSU in the NCAA tourney we some how aren't pro-ND.

That is down right silly. I do wonder if our administration is paying attention to the process it takes to get to the next level? That is a fair question.

I agree that the support ND angle is totally overblown. I think their seniors will ensure a good showing, win or lose.

Why are so many on this thread trying to have their cake and eat it too?

They're desperate not to be labeled as non-supporters of the state of ND, yet they're quick to rule out any support for a team from North Dakota that is representing the state on the national stage.

Hypocrisy.

You gotta get over it. There are going to be people who will not cheer for NDSU. Most of them are the ones who got to live and witness the UND-NDSU rivalry. Considering I was in mere junior high/high school when I got to watch the last two UND/NDSU football games and pretty young I didn't really get to despise NDSU. However, some of you NDSU fans are total pricks(even in Minot!). Luckily, it's the team and not the fans that represent NDSU athletics so I actually follow the football program whenever there on TV.

Now if there is one team I could never EVER cheer for it'd be anything related to Minnesota Golden Gopher athletics. It's pretty much the same case for those who who won't cheer for NDSU. Or for others they simply don't live in ND and could care less about NDSU :silly:

You gotta get over it. There are going to be people who will not cheer for NDSU. Most of them are the ones who got to live and witness the UND-NDSU rivalry. Considering I was in mere junior high/high school when I got to watch the last two UND/NDSU football games and pretty young I didn't really get to despise NDSU. However, some of you NDSU fans are total pricks(even in Minot!). Luckily, it's the team and not the fans that represent NDSU athletics so I actually follow the football program whenever there on TV.

Now if there is one team I could never EVER cheer for it'd be anything related to Minnesota Golden Gopher athletics. It's pretty much the same case for those who who won't cheer for NDSU. Or for others they simply don't live in ND and could care less about NDSU :silly:

No I understand why people who weren't born and didn't grow up in ND don't feel obligated to support the state's teams when they're on the national stage.

It's the people who like to pretend that they have some legitimate reason to personally hate other schools in the state that I don't understand.

Rocky is gone. Kupchella and Thomas are gone. That era of "blood fued" between UND and NDSU is dead and over. When the games start up again (hopefully in 09), they will be as intense of athletic competition as ever, but the relationship between the school's fans will be respectable and civilized, like it is between NDSU and SDSU.

Kupchella and Thomas are gone. That era of "blood fued" between UND and NDSU is dead and over

I think the (2) aformentioned people were the MAIN reason UND was not participating in this year's SUMMIT league tournament.

I think the "blood fued" is far from over...instead of the playing field it has been fought the past 6 years on message boards, in people's homes and out in public at various gatherings spaces. IMO the past (6) years has been far less civil than the preceeding 90 or so years of the rivalry by A LONG SHOT.

Whether you watch next weekend's NCAA BB tourney and root for NDSU...or tune it out in favor of watching the Final 5...the one thing I CANNOT BELIEVE is how no one, except maybe me, is still in disbelief at the opportunity my Alma Matter missed....

It's a long shot to say it but had the right people IMO made the right call at the right time, that could have been UND out there playing Oakland for a shot at the dance Tuesday night.

Rip away...

Why are so many on this thread trying to have their cake and eat it too?

They're desperate not to be labeled as non-supporters of the state of ND, yet they're quick to rule out any support for a team from North Dakota that is representing the state on the national stage.

Hypocrisy.

You really don't get it do you? I think Sioux fanatic sums it up pretty well. Some of would never under any circumstance cheer for the dirty Bison NO MATTER WHAT. We are pro North Dakota. There is no requirement to cheer for NDSU.

You gotta get over it. There are going to be people who will not cheer for NDSU. Most of them are the ones who got to live and witness the UND-NDSU rivalry. However, some of you NDSU fans are total pricks(even in Minot!).

I think the (2) aformentioned people were the MAIN reason UND was not participating in this year's SUMMIT league tournament.

I think the "blood fued" is far from over...instead of the playing field it has been fought the past 6 years on message boards, in people's homes and out in public at various gatherings spaces. IMO the past (6) years has been far less civil than the preceeding 90 or so years of the rivalry by A LONG SHOT.

Whether you watch next weekend's NCAA BB tourney and root for NDSU...or tune it out in favor of watching the Final 5...the one thing I CANNOT BELIEVE is how no one, except maybe me, is still in disbelief at the opportunity my Alma Matter missed....

It's a long shot to say it but had the right people IMO made the right call at the right time, that could have been UND out there playing Oakland for a shot at the dance Tuesday night.

Rip away...

Oh I realize that in 03 when it was announced the schools would not be playing each other in football, there were many a NDSU fan who tried to take it as a personal offense.

And they've just been getting bitter...and more bitter.

Some are so childish that they won't even capitialize UND, as it deserves.

And in response to that, in a childish "well since you said I can't come to your birthday...you can't come to my birthday!" manner, some UND fans decided to be just as bitter toward NDSU.

And you're right, the pent up agression has been let out on message boards instead of stadiums.

Hopefully that will change soon!

Rip away...

You're not alone. But that horse has been put out to pasture (somewhere in Pennsylvania), so now it's time to focus on the future.

The only problem is, in joining the summit league, they signed away any money that they get from the ncaa to the summit league. If this was the plan all the ay along, this was pretty stupid.

The only problem is, in joining the summit league, they signed away any money that they get from the ncaa to the summit league. If this was the plan all the ay along, this was pretty stupid.

I don't know about that? I am thinking their alumni will be pretty happy.

and if they were not in a conference they would be 26-6 and not even close to being on the bubble to get in.

A conference gets money from a particular tournament for six years. NDSU and the others agreed to get no money for three, the first of which was last year. Effectively, NDSU will get a two-thirds share of whatever happens in this year's tourney(four years out of six). If the choice is two-thirds or nothing, I'll take the two-thirds any day. Besides, unless the Bison manage to get one or more victories in the tourney, it would be wrong to think of this year's share as NDSU's; it's the Summit's share. The Summit is going to get that first share no matter who wins the conference tourney. Only shares that come from a win in the Dance can be attributed to a particular team(except in the case of at-large bids, which the Summit won't get for a long time, if ever).

Would a Michigan Wolverines fan cheer for the Michigan State Spartans?

Sure they would, if MSU was playing Ohio State.

The key here...which seems to have either gone over people's heads or they just stopped thinking about it as soon as they saw that they'd have to cheer for NDSU ... is that it's competition OUTSIDE the state vs. competition from your state.

When it's that case, then in-state rivalries should go out the window, IMO.

That's what I'll be doing.

I wouldn't dream of UND fans watching NDSU bball over watching UND hockey. I wouldn't ask it of them either.

But just verbal support is appreciated. IE, "if it means that the state of North Dakota is perceived well by having a team from our state do well at a national tournament, then I wish them good luck". That's all it takes. So called "good will".

Sure they would, if MSU was playing Ohio State.

The key here...which seems to have either gone over people's heads or they just stopped thinking about it as soon as they saw that they'd have to cheer for NDSU ... is that it's competition OUTSIDE the state vs. competition from your state.

When it's that case, then in-state rivalries should go out the window, IMO.

NOPE. Wrong again. I don't think Michigan fans are would chear for MSU. They refer to East Lansing as East Landfill and

MSU is their heated rivals. MPLSBison give it up. We don't need to chear for your team or It isn't also a pride thing for the

WHOLE STATE OF ND.

NOPE. Wrong again. I don't think Michigan fans are would chear for MSU. They refer to East Lansing as East Landfill and

MSU is their heated rivals. MPLSBison give it up. We don't need to chear for your team or It isn't also a pride thing for the

WHOLE STATE OF ND.

You are simply wrong on this matter.

In-state rivalries are fine and good, but they do not apply when a school from your state is representing the whole state on the national stage.

Sorry, you have no excuse to transfer your misplaced hatred.

In-state rivalries are fine and good, but they do not apply when a school from your state is representing the whole state on the national stage.

Is there a book somewhere where you get your information about the rules on in state rivalries and the rules that apply?

If they (we) don't want to cheer for your boys, we aren't going to. Quit trying to make us (them) feel like we all owe it to NDSU to cheer for them. If they have nice run, great. It they lose, great. It's NDSU and WE DON'T CARE all that much.

I do believe NDSU folk should enjoy this moment. They will be few and far between for all of us in bball in the next 25-50 years.

If they (we) don't want to cheer for your boys, we aren't going to. Quit trying to make us (them) feel like we all owe it to NDSU to cheer for them. If they have nice run, great. It they lose, great. It's NDSU and WE DON'T CARE all that much.

I do believe NDSU folk should enjoy this moment. They will be few and far between for all of us in bball in the next 25-50 years.

I could care less if your ag school is in the big dance or not.

Sorry dude your dead wrong on this one. You're team being in the NCAA tourney has no bearing on my life.

I could care less either way. NDSU is representing NDSU and NDSU only.