SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA Playoff Match ups

AZSIOUX

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would love to see the Golden Rodents do down to defeat, I don't think SCSU can beat them twice.

Were you humbled by the result of the Duluth series? :sad:

Whether or not SCSU takes advantage of their opportunity is up to them. They do tend to play scared against the Gophers, much like the Bulldogs. I just don't think a 2-0 win against the last place team after a 6-5 sieve fest the night before exactly rights the Gopher ship. Of course SCSU didn't do much this past weekend, either, but the Gophers haven't exactly oozed consistency the past few weeks to the point where I'm ready to say they are a lock to sweep. They're capable of losing 2 of 3, but who knows if SCSU is capable of winning 2 of three...sounds confusing. :sad:

I'm going to say "toss up."

UM is about as much of a lock to win their series as there is of the 5. JBSU is so soft and such a one trick pony with Roe/Lasch that this is a 2 game sweep with neither game being close. I could see UM winning each 6-2 or 6-3. UND will get more of a test from MTU.

UND/MTU is going to be more of a blowout than UMN/JBSU I feel like.

MTU didn't have a chance last weekend against UMN either, did they? :sad:

Nope, they didn't. Kangas righted his ship (I hope)....MTU didn't have a chance, and they didn't deserve to. They were totally crushed both nights, but won Friday due to 2 or 3 of the biggest sieve goals I have ever seen. Frazee-like.

Whether or not SCSU takes advantage of their opportunity is up to them. They do tend to play scared against the Gophers, much like the Bulldogs. I just don't think a 2-0 win against the last place team after a 6-5 sieve fest the night before exactly rights the Gopher ship. Of course SCSU didn't do much this past weekend, either, but the Gophers haven't exactly oozed consistency the past few weeks to the point where I'm ready to say they are a lock to sweep. They're capable of losing 2 of 3, but who knows if SCSU is capable of winning 2 of three...sounds confusing. :(

Our ship doesn't need to be right to beat SCSU. They are scared of us, and we own them. 4-0 on the season. 'Nuf said

That was my buddy that made that prediction, I stopped doing predictions after I started Jinxing teams

to include the Sioux.

I hear ya. I don't care for making predictions much, either. That's why I'm not going to be quick to say SCSU is done for even though the smart money is on the Gophers this weekend.

UND/MTU is going to be more of a blowout than UMN/JBSU I feel like.

Totally disagree for this reason: MTU will play hard and is a grind-it-out team regardless of the score. There is not a softer team in the WCHA than SCSU. UM got the perfect match-up. MTU gets down by a couple goals, they'll continue to fight/grind. SCSU gets down by a couple, they'll pack it in.

Now I hope I'm wrong because I would love to see the F5 without the Gophers! :sad:

Totally disagree for this reason: MTU will play hard and is a grind-it-out team regardless of the score. There is not a softer team in the WCHA than SCSU. UM got the perfect match-up. MTU gets down by a couple goals, they'll continue to fight/grind. SCSU gets down by a couple, they'll pack it in.

Now I hope I'm wrong because I would love to see the F5 without the Gophers! :sad:

MTU will play hard, but they suck. The talent level is so unbelievable between UND and MTU that it won't matter if UND comes out playing half-ass. I'm just trying to talk myself into thinking UND will sweep, but I would be quite happy if that didn't happen. Kind of like you predicting the Gophers to crush, you'd be happy if they didnt.

SCSU is very weak, I agree with that. Perfect match up for us, no doubt. Not only are they soft, but they are scared of the Gophers. I like our chances of putting in a few in the first period and crushing them both nights. (besides, I get to go home a day earlier for spring break if we can sweep :sad: )

Whether or not SCSU takes advantage of their opportunity is up to them. They do tend to play scared against the Gophers, much like the Bulldogs. I just don't think a 2-0 win against the last place team after a 6-5 sieve fest the night before exactly rights the Gopher ship. Of course SCSU didn't do much this past weekend, either, but the Gophers haven't exactly oozed consistency the past few weeks to the point where I'm ready to say they are a lock to sweep. They're capable of losing 2 of 3, but who knows if SCSU is capable of winning 2 of three...sounds confusing. :sad:

It is going to depend totally upon the MN goaltending. If Kangas gives up a soft goal right off the bat on Friday, look for STC to have some confidence, and Kangas to do a Frazee mind meld. Should that happen, STC could pull the upset, and it wouldn't be that big of an upset. Yes they lost at MSUM this weekend, but that is a tough rat hole in which to play. Ask MN and WI and UND. But, if Kangas plays like he did Saturday night, nothing spectacular but just basic goaltending, UM will win. Remember, STC hung a 6-spot on UM last time they played. Westlostsky (Spelling intentional) just happened to give up an 8-spot that night.

It is going to depend totally upon the MN goaltending. If Kangas gives up a soft goal right off the bat on Friday, look for STC to have some confidence, and Kangas to do a Frazee mind meld. Should that happen, STC could pull the upset, and it wouldn't be that big of an upset. Yes they lost at MSUM this weekend, but that is a tough rat hole in which to play. Ask MN and WI and UND. But, if Kangas plays like he did Saturday night, nothing spectacular but just basic goaltending, UM will win. Remember, STC hung a 6-spot on UM last time they played. Westlostsky (Spelling intentional) just happened to give up an 8-spot that night.

That 8-spot was one of the three times they've given up five or more since the weekend of Jan 9/10 (UND/Gophers series). The gophers have given up five or more seven times since then. What sucks is that two of the three times SCSU has given up five or more in that stretch were against the Gophers! :sad: They might be better off agreeing to strap shooter-tudors in the nets.

Badgers in 3 over Mankato. Mankato is another late charging team but Bucky impressed me this past weekend. If they play like they did on Saturday they will be tough for anyone to beat.

If Zacharias gets hot Mankato can steal this one from the BADgers. Wisconsin has solid defense, but Mankato has been playing better since the UND series.

This is the year that Jan Brady steps all over her big pompous sister Marcia.

It will give the St. Clown folks plenty of ammo for the next few years, having

ended the Gophers' season and denying them the hostess role in the regional.

Mankato will end Wisconsin's season.

Duluth will end Colorado College's season.

Denver will end UAA's season.

The Sioux will, of course, end Tech's season.

SCSU, Mankato, UMD, Denver, and North Dakota will make for a rousing Final Five.

Mankato will end Duluth's season.

The Sioux will end Makato's season.

Denver will end St. Cloud's season.

And the only two teams going to the Big Show from the WCHA will be North Dakota and Denver.

Sioux take the trifecta. MacNaughton. Broadmoor. NCAA.

Sioux over Tech in 2

DU over Alaska in 3

CC over UMD in 2 (no way seeing CC against UND 2 weeks ago that UMD could win)

Wisconsin over MSU in 3

Minnesota over SCSU in 3

Final Five

Game 5: CC over Minnesota (6-3)

Game 4: UND over Wisconsin (4-1)

Game 3: CC over DU (4-3)

Game 2: DU over Wisconsin (3-1)

Game 1: UND over CC (5-3)

Are you kidding that is what makes it fun.

This is the year that Jan Brady steps all over her big pompous sister Marcia.

It will give the St. Clown folks plenty of ammo for the next few years, having

ended the Gophers' season and denying them the hostess role in the regional.

Mankato will end Wisconsin's season.

Duluth will end Colorado College's season.

Denver will end UAA's season.

The Sioux will, of course, end Tech's season.

SCSU, Mankato, UMD, Denver, and North Dakota will make for a rousing Final Five.

Mankato will end Duluth's season.

The Sioux will end Makato's season.

Denver will end St. Cloud's season.

And the only two teams going to the Big Show from the WCHA will be North Dakota and Denver.

Sioux take the trifecta. MacNaughton. Broadmoor. NCAA.

JBSU has zero bragging rights.

MTU @ UND

Surely the Sioux have the advantage over MTU.

However, they have shown a tendancy to play down to level of their opponent during the first round games over the last few years...

Let's hope it's not that interesting....

Sioux Sweep !!!

AA @ Denver

not a contest...

Denver Sweeps

MSU @ Wisco

This one couold get interesting, but I don't think the Mav's can take 2 playing away.

Bucky Sweeps (close games)

UMD @ CC

Honestly, I haven't seen enough of the Dogs to form an opinion.

However, I've seen CC... and I think they should advance easy enough.

CC Sweeps (possibly one nail-biter in here...)

SCSU @ UM

Here's where it get's interesting...

I think that SCSU has an opportuinty to beat the Goph's.

The Rodents' most impressive win lately has come against MTU.

Wow ! What an accomplishment...

Add to that... "The Sheppard Factor"...

Honestly !!! With the Gopher's play-off hopes on the line...

Who do you think the WCHA will send to "engineer" a Gopher advance to the F5... ?

Gophers in 3.... (with alot of help on the whistles...)

WCHA Final 5

Thursday - Play-In

Don't Forget....

Gopher's still need victories to bring up their Pairwaise Ranking.

Care to guess who'll be on the whistle... ?

CC wins (even with a Sheppard handicap...)

Wisco v. Denver

Denver

CC v. UND

UND

F5 Chanpionship Game

Denver v. UND

# 1 playing # 2

Just the way it should be...

UND defeats Denver in a very closely contested game.

U of M get's a NCAA bid anyway !!!!

over much more deserving teams.

just my $ 0.02.....

JBSU has zero bragging rights.

Maybe true, but it will be really hard for you to remind their fans of this fact as they are crowing up

a storm on Sunday evening strutting out of The John looking to buy your Final Five tickets. Better bring them

along just in case as the market will be flooded with jumpers that night and all of the next day.

SCSU @ UM

Here's where it get's interesting...

I think that SCSU has an opportuinty to beat the Goph's.

The Rodents' most impressive win lately has come against MTU.

Wow ! What an accomplishment...

Add to that... "The Sheppard Factor"...

Honestly !!! With the Gopher's play-off hopes on the line...

Who do you think the WCHA will send to "engineer" a Gopher advance to the F5... ?

Gophers in 3.... (with alot of help on the whistles...)

WCHA Final 5

Thursday - Play-In

Don't Forget....

Gopher's still need victories to bring up their Pairwaise Ranking.

Care to guess who'll be on the whistle... ?

CC wins (even with a Sheppard handicap...)

U of M get's a NCAA bid anyway !!!!

over much more deserving teams.

just my $ 0.02.....

Please tell me you're kidding.

man this kid likes to knee others :whistling:

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Mankato's Bruess suspended again

For the second time in a month, Mankato forward Trevor Bruess has been suspended.

The WCHA announced he has been suspended for one game because of his actions in last Saturday's league game against St. Cloud State. In that game, Bruess had a pair of kneeing penalties -- one a five-minute major.

The suspension will be served during Friday's first-round playoff series game against Wisconsin.

Bruess also was suspended for his actions during a Saturday night game against UND on Feb. 14. In that game, Bruess also was penalized for kneeing. In another unpenalized incident, he took Sioux defenseman Derrick LaPoint into the boards from behind. LaPoint broke both bones in his leg and is out for the season.

man this kid likes to knee others :whistling:

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Mankato's Bruess suspended again

For the second time in a month, Mankato forward Trevor Bruess has been suspended.

The WCHA announced he has been suspended for one game because of his actions in last Saturday's league game against St. Cloud State. In that game, Bruess had a pair of kneeing penalties -- one a five-minute major.

The suspension will be served during Friday's first-round playoff series game against Wisconsin.

Bruess also was suspended for his actions during a Saturday night game against UND on Feb. 14. In that game, Bruess also was penalized for kneeing. In another unpenalized incident, he took Sioux defenseman Derrick LaPoint into the boards from behind. LaPoint broke both bones in his leg and is out for the season.

Yeah, and according to the WCH blog, you need to be down and out to warrant a suspension, nevermind the fact that this guy has a long reputation. His hypocrisy is becoming more and more amusing.