SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU men

jimdahl

The reality is the Bison beat some meaningless teams (something called Centenary, Southern Utah, and Oakland MI)to becoming a meaningless team in a tournament that they don't belong and will be bounced in the 1st round and everyone will forget about them.

...and here we are on SS hoping someday the Sioux MBB will achieve that same reality. :D

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add this, you want to get hardcore, your hockey team will never get the publicity that The North Dakota State University mens Bball team has had in the past week, and that moron is the reality!!! Live with it!!

sorry and thanks for all the well wishers but I can't handle people as narrow minded as this idiot!! or sorry JEALOUS!!! :D

That is probably the dumbest thing i've ever heard. Ask more people around the nation if they know Sioux Hockey. I guarantee more know of the hockey program than NDSU's basketball team.

...and here we are on SS hoping someday the Sioux MBB will achieve that same reality. :D

I don't think anyone is arguing its a cool thing Matt. What is stirring the pot is bison fans coming on here begging for UND fans to cheer for them. I think they have the support of some but not all and some are coming off looking very arrogant trying to justify how big of a deal it is. Bottom line is some people just don't care. I would love for the Sioux to be in this spot someday. I think getting into the league is obviously the first step. I see the bison competing for this trip year in and year out and hopefully UND can continue building their program and position themselves to be in the same spot.

If NDSU actually wins a game in the NCAA basketball tournament they will receive more publicity than any team to win a Frozen Four, but merely qualifying for the basketball tournament isn't good enough. Winning a Frozen Four gets your school more publicity than losing on the 1st day of the basketball tournament, and that my friend is a fact. Teams that are one and done in the basketball tournament are forgotten overnight.

Well Dave, these words just might come back to haunt you. Besides, the Summit is an auto-bid league - the Bison will be back.

Besides, the Summit is an auto-bid league - the Bison will be back.

Agreed, with the conference the way it is and Saul's ablility to recruit I think that the bison will compete for this yearly. But every year they qualify are bison fans going to be coming over to a Sioux board and tell us we have to cheer for their team or write on the bison board that we are just jealous if we don't. Last time I checked there is not 100% support for the Sioux hockey team or the Sioux football team when we where making the playoffs every year before the transition, why all of a sudden must their be 100% support for the bison basketball team. Coming over here and calling fans names that have decided not to cheer for them next weekend is silly and sounds really desperate. There are a few bison fans that post here I have a lot of respect (hammer, wyobisonman) and they don't expect every Sioux fan to drop whats going on to cheer for you. However, the few that come on this board to try and throw it in Sioux fans faces are not going to change anything and actually look really desperate for attention. I know what would happen if a Sioux fan did that on a bison board. They'd get chewed apart and rightfully so.

Good luck to UND, NDSU and NDSCS in their national tournaments!

All three of these teams deserve the support of the entire state as they represent ND on the national stage!

Give it a rest. I will cheer for your team and you cheer for your team. I won't be cheering for the Bison

and I could care less if your cheering for our team. You also seem to be lost there is the link for Bisonville.

What is stirring the pot is bison fans coming on here begging for UND fans to cheer for them. I think they have the support of some but not all and some are coming off looking very arrogant trying to justify how big of a deal it is. Bottom line is some people just don't care.

Yep your right, you hit a lot of the points some are having a hard time understanding.

That's all I ask! :D

Your missing the point and not all of us care or are going to support them. We might even smile if they lose their opening game in the ncaa tourney. I also love how some some Bison fans are trying to say that their mid major basketball team making the tourney on an auto bid is really a bigger deal, all time greatest story some how all of a suden more important or significant than the Sioux winning a bunch of titles and another MacNaughten cup. The Bison making the NCAA tourney is about as significant as Holy Cross making the Tourney in College Hockey. IF they actually beat a few teams and make a run ala UNI then it will be more than a front page story in the Fargo Forum.

all three of these teams deserve the support of the entire state as they represent ND on the national stage!

If NDSU actually wins a game in the NCAA basketball tournament they will receive more publicity than any team to win a Frozen Four, but merely qualifying for the basketball tournament isn't good enough. Winning a Frozen Four gets your school more publicity than losing on the 1st day of the basketball tournament, and that my friend is a fact. Teams that are one and done in the basketball tournament are forgotten overnight.

The Selection Show plus all the national media attention they got from Tuesday until today, plus playing on CBS with millions of ppl watching either next Thurs. or Fri is easily more national attention then your team making the Frozen Four or winning it all. Does hockey have a big national selection show where millions will be watching? Will UND hockey coaches and players be all over national radio and newspapers especially ESPN, SI or Usa Today, etc.? NO... Not trying to trash talk at all, it's just reality...

I wanted to come over here to say thanks for those classy fans who have given appreciation for NDSUs Bball team... it just hapens to be that there are a few bad apples out there....

I can't believe nobody has brought up Virg's commentary in today's Herald.

As much as I hate to say it, I couldn't disagree with Virg more on this. I have always been a big UND hockey fan, but on a national stage in terms of recognition, exposure and what it does for the school as a whole, it's not even close IMO. The "Big Dance" appearance is a way bigger deal than even winning the the national championship in hockey. Just having your name on the bracket is enough marketing to justify it. I would like to see numbers on how many people will see ndsu's name this year. "North Dakota State?..........wow, where did they come from?"......etc. The positives this brings to their university as a whole is too big to fully comprehend right now.

By the way, there is no way I could ever cheer for the bison to do well in anything. It's just the rivalry thing I guess. But you have to give credit where credit is due.

Go Sioux!

Well Dave, these words just might come back to haunt you. Besides, the Summit is an auto-bid league - the Bison will be back.

With the loss of their seniors, the Bison RPI will drop them behind at least another 50 - 100 schools next year. For Bison fans to be proclaiming that somehow they've arrived, are setting themselves up for years of frustration. This run was set up by one year of great recruiting by Tim Miles - who is long gone. It could be twenty years before they go to the dance again. Enjoy it while its here, and stay just a little bit humble.

It's interesting that Miles was able to recruit those players on the hope that they would be in the Big Sky and on the hope that the NCAA would repeal the new 13 year transition rule prohibiting new DI schools from the Big Dance. No Bison posters have ever denounced the ethics of those recruiting promises. :D For those seniors, glad it worked out.

There's always been a few enlightened NDSU fans who support UND hockey, but the majority constantly knock it. Now, we can expect a Bisonville thread supporting UND hockey in the playoffs?

I can't believe nobody has brought up Virg's commentary in today's Herald.

As much as I hate to say it, I couldn't disagree with Virg more on this. I have always been a big UND hockey fan, but on a national stage in terms of recognition, exposure and what it does for the school as a whole, it's not even close IMO. The "Big Dance" appearance is a way bigger deal than even winning the the national championship in hockey. Just having your name on the bracket is enough marketing to justify it. I would like to see numbers on how many people will see ndsu's name this year. "North Dakota State?..........wow, where did they come from?"......etc. The positives this brings to their university as a whole is too big to fully comprehend right now.

By the way, there is no way I could ever cheer for the bison to do well in anything. It's just the rivalry thing I guess. But you have to give credit where credit is due.

Go Sioux!

Regarding the bold above, I guess I'm just going to have to accept that there are some old UND and NDSU fans who are too ingrained in the bygone era of "blood feud" between the schools. We're just going to have to wait for your generation to die off.

I hope that when the NDSU-UND games start up again that it isn't nasty like it was back in the NCC days. I want the games to be good, clean fun but still be able to go to a bar in GF wearing a NDSU uni without getting beer dumped on you, etc. IE, intense but civilized.

Fans have their place in the game. They should respect those boundaries and not try to use the rivalry as an excuse to take what happens on the field personally. You're just a fan.

Regarding the bold above, I guess I'm just going to have to accept that there are some old UND and NDSU fans who are too ingrained in the bygone era of "blood feud" between the schools. We're just going to have to wait for your generation to die off.

Well, you might be waiting a while to get your wish and have me and some others to "die off". Wow, what an idiotic, dumb statement. You aren't employed by the Fargo Mayor's office by any chance, are you?

Do you even know how old I am?

By the way, there is no way I could ever cheer for the bison to do well in anything. It's just the rivalry thing I guess

MPLSBison fans said this in response to post above.

I want to know why you think it is important for UND fans to cheer for your university. It don't matter if we are old fans or new fans your school is a rival, we hate your team it is part of the rivalry also last time I looked this is a UND message boards.

Stop begging for christ sakes.

I hope that when the NDSU-UND games start up again that it isn't nasty like it was back in the NCC days. I want the games to be good, clean fun but still be able to go to a bar in GF wearing a NDSU uni without getting beer dumped on you, etc. IE, intense but civilized.

Fans have their place in the game. They should respect those boundaries and not try to use the rivalry as an excuse to take what happens on the field personally. You're just a fan.

I swear to God, you have lost your mind. Beer being dumped on people in bars? Where did that come from? For a week now, you've been over here begging on 2 different threads for the ENTIRE state to love your team. For the last time, WE OWE YOU NOTHING. Some will cheer for you and some will cheer against you. Most of us, don't care if NDSU wins or loses. Truthfully, guys like you make cheer against them more than for them. Stop begging for our support

Well, you might be waiting a while to get your wish and have me and some others to "die off". Wow, what an idiotic, dumb statement. You aren't employed by the Fargo Mayor's office by any chance, are you?

Do you even know how old I am?

I would question how hold MPLSBison is? Some of the comments he has made are definately silly.

It's like asking a packer fan to cheer for the Vikes if they ever made the superbowl or Rangers fans to

cheer for the Devils in hockey or Wake Forest fans to cheer for UNC or fans of Florida to cheer for Florida State.

There's nothing left for me to say.

You guys are stuck in the past blood feud. It's over. That era is done.

There is nothing left but mutual respect between NDSU and UND for what each university has acheived in growth, research and athletics.

It's like asking a packer fan to cheer for the Vikes if they ever made the superbowl or Rangers fans to

cheer for the Devils in hockey or Wake Forest fans to cheer for UNC or fans of Florida to cheer for Florida State.

Which begs the question:

Would any ndsu or UND alums who competed in the rivalry in the past actually CHEER for the other team? I tend to think no way in 'H' 'E' -double hockey sticks.

Maybe some former athlete alums from either side could answer that.

Which begs the question:

Would any ndsu or UND alums who competed in the rivalry in the past actually CHEER for the other team? I tend to think no way in 'H' 'E' -double hockey sticks.

Maybe some former athlete alums could answer that.

It is incorrect to not capitalize a proper abbreviation, such as UND or NDSU.