SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname committee formed

YaneA

GF Herald reports that the Board of Higher Ed has formed a nickname committee with the following persons named thus far: " Bob Boyd, UND's vice president of student and outreach services; Steve Burian, an alumnus; Jeremy Lunde, a UND law student; Jody Hodgson, general manager of the Ralph Engelstad Arena; and Grant Shaft, an SBHE member."

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=101815

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GF Herald reports that the Board of Higher Ed has formed a nickname committee with the following persons named thus far: " Bob Boyd, UND's vice president of student and outreach services; Steve Burian, an alumnus; Jeremy Lunde, a UND law student; Jody Hodgson, general manager of the Ralph Engelstad Arena; and Grant Shaft, an SBHE member."

Why the heck is a law student on the panel?:lol:? Maybe it's Jim Grijalva incognito?

Very weak panel IMO. The tribal governments probably won't even talk with this panel...probably consider it an insult. Very disappointing.

Not one politician chose to get on board to help save the nickname, not even the popular Republican Governor. That speaks volumes about how dead this issue is politically.

Not one politician chose to get on board to help save the nickname, not even the popular Republican Governor. That speaks volumes about how dead this issue is politically.

Exactly. Again it gets back to politicians, in general, catering to the minority as a way to showing symapthy for those who are offended/afflicted/ect... But wait until Jan. 20 to see how this "process" really goes into affect. :lol:

Exactly. Again it gets back to politicians, in general, catering to the minority as a way to showing symapthy for those who are offended/afflicted/ect... But wait until Jan. 20 to see how this "process" really goes into affect. :lol:

I want to know where team ND and Hoven were.

Very weak panel IMO. The tribal governments probably won't even talk with this panel...probably consider it an insult. Very disappointing.

Agreed. Effectively, they're "going through the motions" to cover their a$$es politically. IMHO once the D1 issue became a primary focus of the Board and UND, the name/logo were effectively doomed.

The committee working to retain UND's Fighting Sioux nickname will not contain any representation from the governor's office or the congressional delegation.

University system Chancellor William Goetz gave the State Board of Higher Education the names of those that have agreed to serve Thursday.

He said he's still trying to get representation from the namesake tribes.

Knowing what we know, don't these two thing seem to be contradictory? If it is a committee to retain the name, how are you expecting to get representation from those oppose it. This is a bunch of crap. Drop the name (you know they will eventually) and move on. The longer you take the worse UND looks in the matter.

Knowing what we know, don't these two thing seem to be contradictory? If it is a committee to retain the name, how are you expecting to get representation from those oppose it. This is a bunch of crap. Drop the name (you know they will eventually) and move on. The longer you take the worse UND looks in the matter.

Goetz is not trying to set up representation from the tribes, just asking them to set up a parallel committee so that the SBoHE committee has someone to talk to. The problem is, the tribes have no obligation to even talk to the SBoHE committee. IMO, you needed the Governor's involvement in some capacity just to get the tribes to sit down and talk. Given the lightweight committee that was put together by the SBoHE, I predict that the tribes (at least Standing Rock) will not even listen. Ron His Horse is Thunder is staunchly opposed to the nickname. Why would he bother to put together a committee to listen to the general manager of an arena he hates, some random UND alumnus, some random UND law student, a Vice President from UND, and a single member of the SBoHE? If this is the best committee Goetz can come up with, I think it would be best to just change the nickname immediately.

The more I think about it, this committee approach is entirely the wrong approach. This isn't the time to get a representative from each of the "constituencies" to try to build "consensus." This is the time to deliver a business proposal from the person or persons with the ultimate authority to make a business proposal. Let the tribes decide whether to act on it or not. If they do, then negotiate. If they don't, then change the name. Will these five individuals on the committee even have the authority to put together a business proposal? I mean, there's a freaking law student on this committee! What can he possibly bring to the table? I simply don't get it.

An acceptable committee in this situation would have been Hoeven, Kelley, Faison, and a member of the Board. Hoeven brings credibility and gravitas to the process. Kelley and Faison are needed because any deal will likely involve scholarships from the university and money from the marketing of Fighting Sioux merchandise. A board member is needed because the SBoHE would have to approve the deal.

Though I agree with your reasoning, the words "retain the nickname" are from the reporter. The committee has been called a "Nickname Resolution Committee" by the Chancellor. Committee could meet in February.

Referring to a law student appointee to the committee...

Who is on record as being against the name.

Referring to a University Vice President on the committee...

...who is also opposed to the nickname (or was a couple years ago).

1) That law student-doesn't he have ENOUGH to do in LAW SCHOOL?

2) If the committee seems to be composed of five people in total; and you now have
40%
20%of this committee who's "resolution" seems to be surrender to the tribes/NCAA and hold an election to select a half-assed compromise that will be supported by a plurality (and therefore opposed by a majority) of the interested fans. Seems like the
three
others (assuming they're somewhat more open-minded) have an uphill battle.

(Edit: I misread Goon's post, therefore I assumed 40% came in with a predetermined mindset. It appears only one of the five are on record as being anti-nickname and logo. The "uphill battle" isn't quite so uphill.
:lol:
)

This is the time to deliver a business proposal from the person or persons with the ultimate authority to make a business proposal. Let the tribes decide whether to act on it or not. If they do, then negotiate. If they don't, then change the name. Will these five individuals on the committee even have the authority to put together a business proposal? I mean, there's a freaking law student on this committee! What can he possibly bring to the table? I simply don't get it.

I agree. The student involvement is like having a student on the Board of Trustees: window dressing that does nothing but take up time.

This committee (and others that should have been formed long ago) should try to meet with the tribe(s) and say "we've got some money from the sale of t-shirts, etc. Let's talk about splitting it up." It's JMHO, but if/when you can get one tribe to sit down and then agree that there's a deal to be made, I think the other tribe(s) will then follow.

I'm not sure we know whether the law student is against the name. Goon can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to Jim Grijalva, who is a law professor.

Thank you for pointing out that I may have erred in the way I read Goon's comments; I have attempted to edit my original post.

Also, it looks like the five people are known, including a representative of your new arena. I personally don't see a need for this person at this time. He has an interest in the outcome but right now input from others may be more valuable IMHO.

If I am not mistaken, I believe the law student is a supporter of the Sioux name.

Jim Grijalva has been on record for being against the name. MK was right that was who I was talking about.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I don't know any of these people on the board.

Jim Grijalva has been on record for being against the name. MK was right that was who I was talking about.

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I don't know any of these people on the board.

Goon: I was referring to Jeremy Lunde as being in support of the Sioux name.

Edit: I am getting confused. Sorry if I have caused any confusion on here.

Goon: I was referring to Jeremy Lunde as being in support of the Sioux name.

Edit: I am getting confused. Sorry if I have caused any confusion on here.

I'll re-cap. The confusion started when someone made a joke about the law student really being Jim Grijalva in cognito. Goon then made a comment about Grijalva being against the nickname. Illiniwek mistakenly took that to mean the law student was against the name. I corrected and said Goon was referring to a law professor who is not on the committee, not the law student on the committee. You chimed in and said the law student supports the name. Goon clarified that he was talking about Grijalva. You reiterated that you were talking about the law student. I think that covers it :lol:

So in sum - Grijalva (who is against the nickname) is not on the committee. The law student (who apparently supports the nickname) is on the committee.

My point was that regardless of where he stands on the nickname, I think it's stupid to have a law student on the committee just because he represents a "constituency." The committee should be comprised of people who actually have authority to offer something to the tribes.

I'll re-cap. The confusion started when someone made a joke about the law student really being Jim Grijalva in cognito. Goon then made a comment about Grijalva being against the nickname. Illiniwek mistakenly took that to mean the law student was against the name. I corrected and said Goon was referring to a law professor who is not on the committee, not the law student on the committee. You chimed in and said the law student supports the name. Goon clarified that he was talking about Grijalva. You reiterated that you were talking about the law student. I think that covers it :lol:

So in sum - Grijalva (who is against the nickname) is not on the committee. The law student (who apparently supports the nickname) is on the committee.

My point was that regardless of where he stands on the nickname, I think it's stupid to have a law student on the committee just because he represents a "constituency." The committee should be comprised of people who actually have authority to offer something to the tribes.

Hey I am sorry I cause some confusion. :D

I'll re-cap. The confusion started when someone made a joke about the law student really being Jim Grijalva in cognito. Goon then made a comment about Grijalva being against the nickname. Illiniwek mistakenly took that to mean the law student was against the name. I corrected and said Goon was referring to a law professor who is not on the committee, not the law student on the committee. You chimed in and said the law student supports the name. Goon clarified that he was talking about Grijalva. You reiterated that you were talking about the law student. I think that covers it :D

As a classmate of mine once said, "But I thought you said there would be no Maff (Math) on this test??" :huh::D

Exactly. Again it gets back to politicians, in general, catering to the minority as a way to showing symapthy for those who are offended/afflicted/ect... But wait until Jan. 20 to see how this "process" really goes into affect. :huh:

By 'catering to the minority', do you mean Native Americans or do you mean the population in general -- as in a minority want the name change? If its the later, I've always wondered if any actual scientific polling was done on the name issue. If so, what were the percentages in favor of retaining or rejecting the current nickname/mascot? Anyone? If no polling was done, is it possible a majority either 1. don't have a strong feeling or 2. are okay with a change?

But why would we even want to keep this name any more? I would assume that this committee was formed to promote the orderly transfer to a correct name. If we keep our prior logo, we are assured of being locked out of every conference in the nation forever. Let's just do this quickly and move on before yet more damage is done with the Lakota tribes then has already been done in the last 200 years.

I hope that law student doesn't have any classes with Grijalva.

From what I understand, there are a few alleged cases of that being held against students.

How believable that really is, however, is questionable.

I would not put anything beyond the PC zealots such as Grijalva. I am sure this goes on as my own brother, who just got his PHd in English in May, can attest to. He had to really pump up the PC liberal speak. Now that he's got his phd, he'll have to be careful to stay that way until he gets tenure. Then he can return to normal.....in a few years. Academia is the last place where freedom of ideas and differences of opinion are welcomed. Just look at U of Colorado who is actually funding the search for a conservative professor. You actually have to fund something to go get a conservative minded professor to weigh in against hundreds of PC freak shows on campus? This just bespeaks of how infected academia is with the PC nutjobs.