SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname committee formed

YaneA

I would not put anything beyond the PC zealots such as Grijalva. I am sure this goes on as my own brother, who just got his PHd in English in May, can attest to. He had to really pump up the PC liberal speak. Now that he's got his phd, he'll have to be careful to stay that way until he gets tenure. Then he can return to normal.....in a few years. Academia is the last place where freedom of ideas and differences of opinion are welcomed. Just look at U of Colorado who is actually funding the search for a conservative professor. You actually have to fund something to go get a conservative minded professor to weigh in against hundreds of PC freak shows on campus? This just bespeaks of how infected academia is with the PC nutjobs.

All of our institutions of higher learning are like that, they are infested with Liberal professors and most of them hate dissenting views. In fact I had a class where I had to change my views on my position papers so I could get an "A". I felt dirty after that class. I also had a professor at UND tell me I don't see how someone with conservative views can study sociology. What the hell is that. It's there even at UND.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just look at U of Colorado who is actually funding the search for a conservative professor.

Yeah LOL, didn't they finally fire the white professor that lied about his ethnic group, I can't think of his name right now.

Called the 9/11 victims little Eichmans.

Hey I am sorry I cause some confusion.

No, my mistake started all of this. I should have read the little excerpt from the article: instead, I tried to hit the link but it wouldn't work for me, and I was in a hurry to make my point... and this whole thread got sidetracked.
:huh:
Reading the post would have helped me keep to the point at hand.

Anyway, thanks to all who corrected me about some of the campus personalities and their already-known political leanings.

Tran just put up a blog entry about the nickname committee. Lots of interesting little stuff and some new quotes from major players. It's also got Tran's impressions and opinions of the situation, which you won't find in his articles(not for or against the nickname, but opinions on why things are happening the way they are).

The City Beat: Nickname realities

Tran just put up a blog entry about the nickname committee. Lots of interesting little stuff and some new quotes from major players. It's also got Tran's impressions and opinions of the situation, which you won't find in his articles(not for or against the nickname, but opinions on why things are happening the way they are).

Sure, now it's as clear as lead*. :D:huh:

*Lead is a Superman reference. :D

Edited by GeauxSioux

Just read in the Forum that Goetz requested representation from the SR and SL tribes. According to the artice, Ron His Horse Is Nutless refused and Myra Pearson was unable to be contacted! Are you serious??!! The tribes don't even have the common courtesy to meet with this commitee. :huh: As in step with NAs of this day and generations past, leave them alone until THEY want/need something, then the phone will start ringing!

As in step with NAs of this day and generations past, leave them alone until THEY want/need something, then the phone will start ringing!

I think we saw an early demonstration of "The Law of Unintended Consequences" when UND cancelled the Wacipi Timeout last fall. I'm sure we'll see others in the future ... :huh:

Finally a reporter to ask some direct questions of people on this issue. This just confirms my suspicion that Goetz put this committee together not to try to get tribal approval, but so that all the "constituencies" can come to the realization that the nickname has to be changed. How stupidly political. I was under no illusions that the tribes would change their tune, but the committee should at least follow the settlement and try to get approval by putting a formal package together. If the tribes say no, or don't even respond, so be it. Make their leaders turn down a package that could really be a benefit to the tribe. Instead, Goetz is just giving them the easy way out.

Finally a reporter to ask some direct questions of people on this issue. This just confirms my suspicion that Goetz put this committee together not to try to get tribal approval, but so that all the "constituencies" can come to the realization that the nickname has to be changed. How stupidly political. I was under no illusions that the tribes would change their tune, but the committee should at least follow the settlement and try to get approval by putting a formal package together. If the tribes say no, or don't even respond, so be it. Make their leaders turn down a package that could really be a benefit to the tribe. Instead, Goetz is just giving them the easy way out.

I agree-if you have a committee of five people, and two of them are a student and the GM of the arena, clearly you have very little interest in trying to get the approval of the tribes that the long-awaited "settlement" talked about.

Just read in the Forum that Goetz requested representation from the SR and SL tribes. According to the artice, Ron His Horse Is Nutless refused and Myra Pearson was unable to be contacted!

1) Is Ron/Thunder the only representative from that tribe that the committee can talk with?

2)
Unable
or
unwilling
?
:huh:

... leave them alone until THEY want/need something, then the phone will start ringing!

I am a great believer in "what goes around comes around". When the phone rings at this end, then I would be "unable to be contacted".

On our local (Sioux Falls, SD) newspaper website (argusleader.com) today has a a poll and here are the results so far... Was nice to see some interest regarding this topic down here in Sioux Falls.

Should the University of North Dakota be banned from the Summit League because of its nickname?

Number of votes: 346

Yes:8.7%

No: 91.3%

Ok, so now I am confused the reason the Govenor hasn't got anyone on the committee because they haven't asked.

This doesn't sound right. Goetz better be careful here. If lets the name go wihtout even trying to come up with a solution

there are going to be a lot of people calling for his head.

The committee was to have high-level representation, such as the governor

I think we ALL know where this is going and honestly, if dumping it helps us get into a decent DI conference? DO IT!! I'm just tired of it all. BUT I would like to add this PS to the future...

PS:I can't wait 15 years when RICK "His dad's horse was Thunder but mine broke his leg and became Alpo :)" has to research a paper on his own people and does a google search for "fighting sioux" and ALL he gets are old YOUTUBE Sioux Hockey videos...what goes around comes around! :(

Hadn't been asked? Interesting. Either Goetz or Hoeven was lying.

I think it's most likely that Goetz talked to Hoeven's chief of staff to see if Hoeven wanted to serve on the committee. Maybe Hoeven's chief of staff didn't come flat out and say no, but I bet he sure hinted it. Now that the excrement has started to strike the rotating air-moving device, Hoeven is able to say, "No, nobody asked ME." Standard politics.

I think we ALL know where this is going and honestly, if dumping it helps us get into a decent DI conference? DO IT!! I'm just tired of it all. BUT I would like to add this PS to the future...

PS:I can't wait 15 years when RICK "His dad's horse was Thunder but mine broke his leg and became Alpo :)" has to research a paper on his own people and does a google search for "fighting sioux" and ALL he gets are old YOUTUBE Sioux Hockey videos...what goes around comes around! :(

When the name has been changed what is the pro-name change people going to do next. Demand that we don't wear Sioux jersey's anymore? Throw people out for saying home of the Sioux? I am hoping we don't have to listen to these people anymore after this is done.

When the name has been changed what is the pro-name change people going to do next. Demand that we don't wear Sioux jersey's anymore? Throw people out for saying home of the Sioux? I am hoping we don't have to listen to these people anymore after this is done.

Comon!

It's easy! As far as UND is concerned, they'll find some wording or some funding transfer that they feel should have been made towards NA programs. Maybe they'll find some sort of way to complain towards UND's graduation practice to try and make it so that the mere admission of an NA student would guarantee graduation regardless of whatever happens.

I don't know. Whatever it is, they'll find something. Once the victim mentality and the complaining way of life settles in, they can't walk away, even if they get their way.

Whatever it is, they'll find something.

Oh yes.
:(
You've already seen how people have said that the nickname has caused a shooting after a wrong way chase on an INTERSTATE HIGHWAY. People actually believe not only that the incident happened, but also that it was somehow caused by a name on a jersey. That self-delusional attitude won't go away.

If and when the nickname changes, the incidents (both real as well as quite imaginary) will be caused by the
delay
in changing the nickname.
:)

Once the victim mentality and the complaining way of life settles in, they can't walk away, even if they get their way.

They're professional complainers, plain and simple. By giving them results you empower them and feed their egos for the next "battle".

I would like to ask a question of the University of North Dakota fans here (rather than hearing from fans of other schools): do the North Dakota fans really think that the nickname and logo issue is causing any sort of delay at all in obtaining membership in a new conference?

Personally, I don't see it as a problem in the least little bit. There's too much on the line for the schools and conferences to haggle over an issue that will be resolved in a set period of time: risking $$$ on this type of thing makes no sense to me. But I would like to hear from the people in the local area.

Hey, think of it this way:

You are a member of a victimized minority. Nevermind the victimization is 40+ years in the past. Nevermind the world is very different than the world of their grandfathers and great grandfathers. You have an opportunity to "get back at the white man." You have an opportunity to push the majority around and dictate policy. The consequences of your actions are negligible to you (stuff like reputation in the eyes of the majority would decline). Would you do it?

Please. These "advocates" are simply using this as a smokescreen to draw attention away from the fact that they'd rather ignore the true plight of the NA people...stuff like poverty, diabetes, alcoholism, unemployment, squalor, low graduation rate, etc.

It's simply a way to push around the majority. They saw the opportunity and they're taking it thanks to a simpathetic idiot Brand and his cronies.

Hey, think of it this way:

You are a member of a victimized minority. Nevermind the victimization is 40+ years in the past. Nevermind the world is very different than the world of their grandfathers and great grandfathers. You have an opportunity to "get back at the white man." You have an opportunity to push the majority around and dictate policy. The consequences of your actions are negligible to you (stuff like reputation in the eyes of the majority would decline). Would you do it?

Please. These "advocates" are simply using this as a smokescreen to draw attention away from the fact that they'd rather ignore the true plight of the NA people...stuff like poverty, diabetes, alcoholism, unemployment, squalor, low graduation rate, etc.

It's simply a way to push around the majority. They saw the opportunity and they're taking it thanks to a simpathetic idiot Brand and his cronies.

B 4, I 29, N 46, G 61, O 88...That's a good BINGO!!!!!!

Nice, poke fun of a native persons name, when we are trying to get their approval to keep their name because the NCAA says the name creates a "hostile and abusive" environment. Nice work, thanks for doing your part.

Wow, some people need to learn how to use their head.

Nice, poke fun of a native persons name, when we are trying to get their approval to keep their name because the NCAA says the name creates a "hostile and abusive" environment. Nice work, thanks for doing your part.

Wow, some people need to learn how to use their head.

Some people deserve to be used in jokes (after all, it is only said person that can lay the ground work for a good joke). And, perhaps he (the poster) is like me, I don't believe we should even need their (Indians) approval for the name.