SiouxSports.com Forum

Nickname/Logo Affecting Conference Affiliation

bincitysioux

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the Big Sky will welcome us...well maybe not. I say start looking for a new name now. The Summit officials are a--holes for snubbing us because of our name. We should look for another conference other than the Summit especially in 2012.

Maybe the Big Sky will welcome us...well maybe not. I say start looking for a new name now. The Summit officials are a--holes for snubbing us because of our name. We should look for another conference other than the Summit especially in 2012.

The nickname should be settled by the time the Summit expands...perhaps this is their way of telling us they aren't interested in having UND join the Summit.

Edit: Also on DAZ tonight Sweeney read a statement by our AD that states "We are happy with our current conference the GWC." He can't possibly be saying that with a straight face...can he? :D

Which doesn't make any sense to me because in reality UND would be a better option for the Summit league that SD base on our schools history and facilities. Also, the name is basically gone already so what the heck is the problem? Also why would they expand to 11 teams and not take on a 12?

Evidently Douple didn't get the memo. Our leadership is working on this, right? And by working, I don't mean continued overtures to the tribes. Time to move on.

I think we should send the settlement paper work to them.

Which doesn't make any sense to me because in reality UND would be a better option for the Summit league that SD base on our schools history and facilities. Also, the name is basically gone already so what the heck is the problem? Also why would they expand to 11 teams and not take on a 12?

This is why i would rather see the Sioux in the Big Sky or other conference and not in the Summit. What happens if the tribes accept the name then later chance their mind and we go through this again. Wouldn't the Summit kick us out.

This is why i would rather see the Sioux in the Big Sky or other conference and not in the Summit. What happens if the tribes accept the name then later chance their mind and we go through this again. Wouldn't the Summit kick us out.

Who's to say that any other conference wouldn't do the same? I for one would much rather be in the Summit than the Big Sky...two reasons are because of the time zone issue and because of where our recruiting base is for most sports other than hockey.

Evidently Douple didn't get the memo. Our leadership is working on this, right? And by working, I don't mean continued overtures to the tribes. Time to move on.

It's difficult to imagine how Douple didn't realize that this is now a non-issue. Heck, since NDSU is governed by the exact same Board of Higher Ed. as we are, in the incredibly unlikely event that the Board decides that UND isn't going to drop the name, doesn't that mean NDSU should be guilty by association and booted from the league? :D

It's difficult to imagine how Douple didn't realize that this is now a non-issue. Heck, since NDSU is governed by the exact same Board of Higher Ed. as we are, in the incredibly unlikely event that the Board decides that UND isn't going to drop the name, doesn't that mean NDSU should be guilty by association and booted from the league? :D

I thought part of the NCAA settlement was to get us off the "naughty list", but after this I'm not sure what it bought us, other than to not have to completely sandblast the Ralph to host events.

Me thinks this -->:D

Now wait a minute, you can't be talking about this Tom Douple...

[url=http://www.thesummitleague.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3900&ATCLID=919778]Douple was also a driving force behind the creation of the Great West Football Conference and currently serves as chairman. His duties with the Great West Football Conference included the development and implementation of the league

Now wait a minute, you can't be talking about this Tom Douple...

How can it be okay for the Sioux to be in the Great West, but not the Summit?

I believe Douple's direct ties to the Great West were over by the time UND was invited, although at the time the Great West was administered by Douple's Summit League office. The Great West commissioner was also associate commissioner of the Summit until the all sports version was formed.

But still, I see what you are saying.

I was just wondering what you guys and gals thought about the news that the Sioux get bypassed by the Summit League due to the nickname/logo issue?

What do you think the Sioux's next steps are to possibly get into a league and do you think that ULTIMATELY the nickname/logo issue does need to be resolved eventually? Like soon, otherwise the Sioux will be missing out on good quality chances albeit opponents to play and (as per what happened yesterday) leagues to be a part of?

The name has to go. Apparently the sooner the better. However, this was a busch league stunt. The Summit it trying to get into bed with the NCAA (Big XII teams don't seem to have a problem). The "controversy" has been settled--it's just a matter of time now. Big Sky or bust. Honestly, USD over UND? really? really?

IT has already been solved in the settlement with the NCAA that is why some are scratching their head on this one.

Exactly. And why would you not even come visit? Might learn something about the culture of the university -- its strong academics? Nah, let's make nice with the NCAA. Maybe they're afraid righteous Big 10 schools will not only refuse to play Indian mascots, but other schools who schedule Indian mascots.

Interesting stance on the conference's part. I'm assuming that you will be playing your other state school no matter what; and sooner or later you'll schedule at least one of the South Dakota schools also. So you will be traveling to those universities on a pretty regular basis no matter what conference you eventually join. However, for a school from Shreveport LA or Indiana, traveling to the upper Midwest for 3 games instead of two could be very economical. You'd think the conference that already had two Dakota schools would see the financial benefits of fewer road trips, consolidating recruiting, etc.

I wonder if any of those schools play Bradley, Utah, etc. in any sport? :D

Interesting stance on the conference's part. I'm assuming that you will be playing your other state school no matter what; and sooner or later you'll schedule at least one of the South Dakota schools also. So you will be traveling to those universities on a pretty regular basis no matter what conference you eventually join. However, for a school from Shreveport LA or Indiana, traveling to the upper Midwest for 3 games instead of two could be very economical. You'd think the conference that already had two Dakota schools would see the financial benefits of fewer road trips, consolidating recruiting, etc.

I wonder if any of those schools play Bradley, Utah, etc. in any sport? :D

UND has played and will continue to play schools in the Summit league. We beat UMKC in Men's basketball this year...We have also scheduled South Dakota State University in this year's upcoming baseball season...to name a few.

In the Summit's defense, can it really assume that UND is going to drop its nickname if it doesn't obtain tribal approval? We all think that's the case, but can the Summit make the same assumption? The settlement does not require it. UND can maintain its nickname and go back on the NCAA's list. I can see why a conference wouldn't want to take in that kind of potential baggage.

But to refuse to visit? If it truly wanted UND, it could make acceptance contingent on UND not being on the NCAA list or something like that.

I'm not really sure what to think about it, except to say that we can continue to expect this kind of stuff from all angles as long as we have this nickname.

In the Summit's defense, can it really assume that UND is going to drop its nickname if it doesn't obtain tribal approval? We all think that's the case, but can the Summit make the same assumption? The settlement does not require it. UND can maintain its nickname and go back on the NCAA's list. I can see why a conference wouldn't want to take in that kind of potential baggage.

But to refuse to visit? If it truly wanted UND, it could make acceptance contingent on UND not being on the NCAA list or something like that.

I'm not really sure what to think about it, except to say that we can continue to expect this kind of stuff from all angles as long as we have this nickname.

I don't think they need to assume anything. But to the extent they have legitimate concerns about this, they could have made a phone call to Brian Faison and/or Robert Kelley to get an explanation. It doesn't sound like that happened.

UND athletic director Brian Faison said his school has not been contacted by Summit League officials.

So we are left to wonder whether Douple was misled by someone regarding the State Board of Higher Ed's probable intentions regarding the nickname/logo, or simply didn't do his homework.

1. Why would he present. UND hasn't applied.

2. " ... until the logo issue is resolved one way or the other ... " (emphasis added) Which means the Summit just wants this resolved. Well duh. That clock is ticking with the NCAA. And mentioning them ...

3. UND hasn't applied. So why is the Summit commenting? Did they get a nudge from someone (Myles Brand? someone else?)?

Douple has stated that UND has applied but he is not willing to forward the information on to the Presidents until the nickname is resolved...which is BS because the name is or will be resolved by the time they admit anyone into the league.

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong...UND has been taken off the NCAA list as far as being out of compliance. If Brand were to be doing this, and I don't believe he is, wouldn't the NCAA be at risk for breaking the agreements of the settlement?