SIOUX @ BEAVERS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller as a forward again...

I hate to say this, but.... I like him better on the blue line. He's a good combination with Genoway despite not being paired with him. Why? That puts two D-men out there that aren't afraid to shoot the puck.

LaPoint has a decent shot but he's a lot like Lee in that he doesn't nearly utilize it enough.

Finley, Jones, Fienhage and Blood (for what little we've seen them) are mainly defensive defensemen.

Marto... I don't get Marto. The offensive side of his game that I listened to (I never saw him play in juniors or in high school, but I did listen to games he played in on the radio) hasn't seemed to translate to DI yet. And I didn't really see him as a stay at home type of d-man. I think maybe Hak should do the experiment thing with Marto and move him to forward and Miller back to defense if he wants to keep Marto in the lineup.

I'd like to see Toews in the lineup tomorrow too... Maybe sit Blood or even Marto, move Miller back to the blue line, and put Toews in then?

Marto... I don't get Marto. The offensive side of his game that I listened to (I never saw him play in juniors or in high school, but I did listen to games he played in on the radio) hasn't seemed to translate to DI yet. And I didn't really see him as a stay at home type of d-man. I think maybe Hak should do the experiment thing with Marto and move him to forward and Miller back to defense if he wants to keep Marto in the lineup.

I saw Marto play in high school and he could take the puck end to end no one could touch him. Marto goal against B.C. last year was pretty good. I guess I expected more out of him this season. I thought Blood played ok tonight.

For the casual fan the game was entertaining. A lot of up and down the ice, hard skating, scoring, an occasional spectacular save and basically two hard working teams. Perhaps the hard pill for some of us to swollow was that it was not a premier D1 hockey team playing a wcha wannabe in a high school level rink. The facts, as played out in the game, was that it was two pretty evenly matched teams. Albeit, the shots on goal may have been a little lopsided - but so was our third period. We didn't run up against a hot goaltender as he wasn't the tender that had to make the hard saves. The game was inches away from overtime as BSU hit the pipe in the final seconds - it was an entertaining game. Now, if the team's uninspired winning celebration, or lack there of, was out of respect for their opponents and realizing how close they came to OT thats one thing, but if it was out of shameful pride that we should have walked over this team - thats another. This is a different Sioux team from the immediate past, it is what it is, and thats not necessarily bad, they just have to continue striving to get better

The game was inches away from overtime as BSU hit the pipe in the final seconds - it was an entertaining game. Now, if the team's uninspired winning celebration, or lack there of, was out of respect for their opponents and realizing how close they came to OT thats one thing, but if it was out of shameful pride that we should have walked over this team - thats another. This is a different Sioux team from the immediate past, it is what it is, and thats not necessarily bad, they just have to continue striving to get better

I thought about this last night; I think the Sioux initially didn't really know if they had won or not. Maybe that is the reason they had a subdued celebration.

I thought about this last night; I think the Sioux initially didn't really know if they had won or not. Maybe that is the reason they had a subdued celebration.

As well as the rest of us in the arena. We all thought it went in and then noticed the guys just standing around the goal. Finally one of the refs was waving the "no goal" sign. PHEW!!

Bemidji has always played us tough in thier own barn, back when Karl Goering played we had to have a third period rally to win and Oshie and Stafford had to score one each to clince a 2-1 win. Bemidji is a decent team so I wouldn't feel too bad about this.

Wasn't the game we played there 2 years ago a come from behind win? Seems to me it ended up as a 7-4 game, but it wasn't pretty for awhile.

Bemidji has always played us tough in thier own barn, back when Karl Goering played we had to have a third period rally to win and Oshie and Stafford had to score one each to clince a 2-1 win. Bemidji is a decent team so I wouldn't feel too bad about this.

I don't think Goehring, Oshie, or Stafford ever played on the same team together. :)

That said, it seems that we have always played BSU close recently. Off the top of my head, I don't remember ever beating them by more than 1-2 goals.

I don't think Goehring, Oshie, or Stafford ever played on the same team together. :)

That said, it seems that we have always played BSU close recently. Off the top of my head, I don't remember ever beating them by more than 1-2 goals.

last year 5-0. though, they came back and played us close and we only won 1-0/

Wasn't the game we played there 2 years ago a come from behind win? Seems to me it ended up as a 7-4 game, but it wasn't pretty for awhile.

2 years ago in bemidji we got out to a 2-0 first period lead, they tied it early in the 3rd and fabian scored with about 3:30 left to win it. the next night at the ralph the beavers got out to a very quick 2-0 lead but we came back and won 6-3.

my buddy pointed this out and sorry if its been brought up but when was the last time our top 4 point getters were undrafted players at this point of a season. interesting stat when a team is loaded with draft pick. go sioux

sioux stats

miller

genoway

martens

duncan

Last time we didn't have a first round or future first round forward on the team was 01-02. We've been spoiled with NHL forward talent for the last 7 years.

I couldn't find a season's final stats without at least one drafted player among our top four.

and chances are it wont end up like that but just a interesting stat he threw out at me. go sioux

I don't think Goehring, Oshie, or Stafford ever played on the same team together. :D

My bad I meant two different games but both in the Glas fieldhouse. I will be clearer next time :)

my buddy pointed this out and sorry if its been brought up but when was the last time our top 4 point getters were undrafted players at this point of a season. interesting stat when a team is loaded with draft pick. go sioux

sioux stats

miller

genoway

martens

duncan

Vandevelde will likely end up in the top 4 at the end of the year.

The most impressive stat to me is Martens. He had 19 points his first three years at UND (playing in 50+ games). He has 15 points in 18 games this year. I thought Kozek and Watkins would be where Martens is with stats. I don't think many would have predicted Miller and Martens to be the leading scorers half way through the season.

The most unimpressive stat to me is defensive scoring. Other than Genoway and Miller (part time) the D are virtually non-existant on the scoreboard. I would guess 90% of Genoway and Miller's points are on the PP. Marto and LaPoint are not stay at home style defensemen. Even stay at home defensemen like Jones should get a few assists on outlet passing. To me this is very telling of the biggest problem on this Sioux team - inability to get the puck up ice. I realize the Sioux like to play low and forecheck aggressively, rarely using the points, but they need to generate more scoring chances on the rush.

It's pretty clear that we were the beneficiaries of the officiating based upon the 5-1 disparity in power play opportunities.

last night was a very clean game overall. the penalties were way down from what we are use to seeing on both sides. they cheated and we didnt as much :D:) i never blame officiating either way if we get more in our favor or not. seriously even the bsu announcers said how crisp and clean the sioux played last night and that says a lot coming from them.

and theirs came in the final 11 seconds. I would think that will be different tonight.

will be if we dont move our feet and and get lazy. was a nice game to watch last night. it was pretty fluid all around

Vandevelde will likely end up in the top 4 at the end of the year.

The most impressive stat to me is Martens. He had 19 points his first three years at UND (playing in 50+ games). He has 15 points in 18 games this year. I thought Kozek and Watkins would be where Martens is with stats. I don't think many would have predicted Miller and Martens to be the leading scorers half way through the season.

The most unimpressive stat to me is defensive scoring. Other than Genoway and Miller (part time) the D are virtually non-existant on the scoreboard. I would guess 90% of Genoway and Miller's points are on the PP. Marto and LaPoint are not stay at home style defensemen. Even stay at home defensemen like Jones should get a few assists on outlet passing. To me this is very telling of the biggest problem on this Sioux team - inability to get the puck up ice. I realize the Sioux like to play low and forecheck aggressively, rarely using the points, but they need to generate more scoring chances on the rush.

I couldn't agree more with the bolded. This all stems from our ridiculous high breakout. I can't think of a team that's scored fewer goals on the fly. If we were breaking out well and scoring in transition we'd see a bunch of second assists coming from the d. It seems crystal clear to me that well-coached teams know exactly how to bring the forecheck to disrupt our breakout. The 2-1-2 seems to really give us fits as the dmen can't seem to beat a forechecker one on one, and the 2-2-1 clogs up the neutral zone and passing lanes by proxy. Opposing coaches can play either and give us fits.

I couldn't agree more with the bolded. This all stems from our ridiculous high breakout. I can't think of a team that's scored fewer goals on the fly. If we were breaking out well and scoring in transition we'd see a bunch of second assists coming from the d. It seems crystal clear to me that well-coached teams know exactly how to bring the forecheck to disrupt our breakout. The 2-1-2 seems to really give us fits as the dmen can't seem to beat a forechecker one on one, and the 2-2-1 clogs up the neutral zone and passing lanes by proxy. Opposing coaches can play either and give us fits.

I couldn't agree more with your point on the breakout - we seem to be in robot mode. I wonder why the coaches don't make adjustments after watching game film? Are they seeing something I'm not? Anyone have any ideas?

I think the high breakout is intended to take pressure off the defensemen by forcing the opponents to be honest on the forecheck. This high breakout assumes that a defensemen can shake a forechecker one on one, then open up a forward in the neutral zone as a second defender is forced to play the puck carrier. The high breakout might be more effective when the forwards are VERY fast. I think with the exception of Watkins and Frattin, our forwards are simply not fast enough to make the high breakout work. I can think of one time where Frattin scored in transition and many opportunities where Watkins has had good looks.

THe high breakout against a 2-2-1 would also explain why Miller and Genoway are our leading scorers. They are carrying the puck up themselves, bringing up the rear of the play, while the forwards are stuck waiting at the offensive blue line because the 2-2-1 has clogged the passing lanes.

Whatever happened to fundamentals? Wingers at the hash, Center between the dots, stay in your lanes, sticks on the ice, head on a swivel, hit the tape with your passes, go to the net, follow your shots... There aren't any shortcuts in this game.