SiouxSports.com Forum

Lucia

choyt3

I'm embarrassed that I cheer for the same college hockey team that you do.

Let's get off the high horses, and Sioux Hab-it's back, folks. He is a good solid and knowledgable

guy who knows more about the game, and Sioux history, than most on this board.

He, like everyone, was rightly concerned for Lucia and his family. No one ever likes to see

someone stricken with illness, especially potentially grave illnesses. This said, just because

someone is stricken ill does not wash away their shortcomings.

I have long believed Lucia to be a self-serving, self-indulgent, condescending self with an agenda that

has himself, and pretty much only himself, at the top of the list. He has, in my opinion and with what little public

information I have, treated players, fans, and his assistant coaches poorly. Maybe with this most recent bout,

he will have an epiphany of sorts and realize that the world does not revolve around Don Lucia and he will

become a better coach and public figure because of it. Only time will tell on that front.

I like the guy who surmised that maybe the Don started feeling ill when he looked at the schedule in late January and

saw the January 9-10 series on the calendar.

Who knows. I am happy for him, and for his family, and for all of his fans. This, however, does not automatically make him immune from fair criticism. He is an A#$. Maybe now he will become less of one.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get off the high horses, and Sioux Hab-it's back, folks. He is a good solid and knowledgable

guy who knows more about the game, and Sioux history, than most on this board.

He, like everyone, was rightly concerned for Lucia and his family. No one ever likes to see

someone stricken with illness, especially potentially grave illnesses. This said, just because

someone is stricken ill does not wash away their shortcomings.

I have long believed Lucia to be a self-serving, self-indulgent, condescending self with an agenda that

has himself, and pretty much only himself, at the top of the list. He has, in my opinion and with what little public

information I have, treated players, fans, and his assistant coaches poorly. Maybe with this most recent bout,

he will have an epiphany of sorts and realize that the world does not revolve around Don Lucia and he will

become a better coach and public figure because of it. Only time will tell on that front.

I like the guy who surmised that maybe the Don started feeling ill when he looked at the schedule in late January and

saw the January 9-10 series on the calendar.

Who knows. I am happy for him, and for his family, and for all of his fans. This, however, does not automatically make him immune from fair criticism. He is an A#$. Maybe now he will become less of one.

Out of curiousity how has lucia treated fans poorly?

Out of curiousity how has lucia treated fans poorly?

For one example, by pretty much refusing to take his boys out east,

or to Bemidji anymore, or to any other non-conference venues outside

of The John.

Other than the annual deal with MSU, Wisconsin, and Michigan, which is likely driven by

other powers that be, when have the Gophers traveled to

play someone outside of the conference on ice other than the Excel or The John?

College hockey fans deserve to see the New York Yankees every now and then,

other than on FSN. Don could do much better for the fans on this front.

IS it tDon driving that bus? I thought it was the MN athletic department...

Jeez. It could be Geoff Paukovich, and I'd still wish the guy well off the ice. No one is immune from criticism, but there are times and places where you simply give people a respite from it in order to deal with other issues.

of The John.

Other than the annual deal with MSU, Wisconsin, and Michigan, which is likely driven by

I've been told it's Matturi (sp) the athletic director, that makes these decisions, not tDon. I too, think it's a joke they don't travel for non-conference games.

of The John.

With the Gophers hosting their own holiday tournament and playing in the Holiday Showcase (Michigan, MSU and Wisc)

it does limit their non conference scheduling. But in the last five years I know they have been to New Hampshire, Boston University, Ohio State, Omaha and to Alaska to play in their yearly tournament.

With the Gophers hosting their own holiday tournament and playing in the Holiday Showcase (Michigan, MSU and Wisc)

it does limit their non conference scheduling. But in the last five years I know they have been to New Hampshire, Boston University, Ohio State, Omaha and to Alaska to play in their yearly tournament.

I believe they go to unh next year. they did open agannis arena at BU but that was 6-7 years ago and nothing since. Ohio State was 2 years ago or last year I believe. I don't recall them going to omaha or alaska?

Alot of Sioux fans have had alot of class regarding lucia's medical condition too bad your not one of them.

I saw all the class I needed to out of little Lucia with the spear and aftermath in Saturday's game. His medical situation has cleared so why would I give them any respect whatsoever. If you like what the Gophers bring to the game and league that is your choice to make and we probably have very littel in common.

I saw all the class I needed to out of little Lucia with the spear and aftermath in Saturday's game. His medical situation has cleared so why would I give them any respect whatsoever. If you like what the Gophers bring to the game and league that is your choice to make and we probably have very littel in common.

It isn't little Lucia who is sick, it is big Lucia.....and whether or not little Lucia is a candy-a$$ (which he kinda is) has nothing to do with his father, who may annoy me sometimes but is still a good coach and i wish him all the best.

...Other than the annual deal with MSU, Wisconsin, and Michigan, which is likely driven by

Under Lucia:

@BC in '98-'99.

@BU in '04-'05.

@Maine in '99-'00.

@UNH in '02-'03.

Your point about the Gophers not traveling is still on point, just a bit exaggerated.

Nice to see mostly fond wishes for Coach Lucia.

Under Lucia:

@BC in '98-'99.

@BU in '04-'05.

@Maine in '99-'00.

@UNH in '02-'03.

Your point about the Gophers not traveling is still on point, just a bit exaggerated.

They went to the UNO tourney in fall of '02 as well. You were down there, weren't you Saagard? The night of the famous "bachelorette party"? :huh:

Yes, the quiet majority tends to get outposted on message boards. Most here hope Lucia continues as head coach for as long as he wants.

Although, I have to admit its tempting to start a "Hire John Hill" endowment. I'm sure a lot of Sioux fans would consider donating money if the UofM were to hire him as the full time mens hockey coach.

Under Lucia:

@BC in '98-'99.

@BU in '04-'05.

@Maine in '99-'00.

@UNH in '02-'03.

Actually the Boys at INCH were talking about it on one of their pods casts last year.

Yes, the quiet majority tends to get outposted on message boards. Most here hope Lucia continues as head coach for as long as he wants.

Although, I have to admit its tempting to start a "Hire John Hill" endowment. I'm sure a lot of Sioux fans would consider donating money if the UofM were to hire him as the full time mens hockey coach.

My biggest fear from last weekend is that once Lucia does move on that now Hill might not get the job.

Under Lucia:

@BC in '98-'99.

@BU in '04-'05.

@Maine in '99-'00.

@UNH in '02-'03.

Lucia was not the coach in 98-99, it was Wooger

other points...

When you are the "Yankees" of hockey, you don't travel to those places very often. When was the last time Oklahoma, USC, Texas, Florida, Florida St., Georgia, LSU etc played football in Minnesota, Wisconsin or Iowa? Not very often. Minnesota invites 2 eastern teams every year to the Holiday Classic. When you are in a position of having a holiday tourney and in the HOF game regularly against the east. I know many of our fans would rather see a regular series with an eastern power too. With all the tourneys being held, it make it tough. Most eastern teams want to play in Minnesota for the exposure to recruits, too.

I am not a Lucia apologist...

NDH-I don't see where anyone who actually knows how much time he dedicates to youth hockey, his players and the Elite League can say he is completely selfish? Just because you dislike the hockey program don't throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks to the coach. Not all 20+ kids are going to like their coach. I wouldn't expect to see we heart Lucia in this thread, to call him an ass when you don't know the guy? How much face time have you had with Lucia to feel the need to go out of your way to post in a thread about his health that he is an ass? What has he done to coaches? Kept Mike around for 8 years when he wasn't picked by Lucia? Minnesota has had more coaching stability than most. Like I said, I don't expect to read pro Minnesota stuff here. I do expect you to have some back up to saying someone is self-serving, self-promoting and an ass. By no means does he walk on water or live without faults, you are way off base on Lucia. IMHO.

To those of you Sioux fans I met this past weekend, thanks for being good sports and doing it in a respectful manner. I had a blast and look forward to being up there again in a couple years.

NDH-I don't see where anyone who actually knows how much time he dedicates to youth hockey, his players and the Elite League can say he is completely selfish? Just because you dislike the hockey program don't throw crap at the wall and hope it sticks to the coach. Not all 20+ kids are going to like their coach. I wouldn't expect to see we heart Lucia in this thread, to call him an ass when you don't know the guy? How much face time have you had with Lucia to feel the need to go out of your way to post in a thread about his health that he is an ass? What has he done to coaches? Kept Mike around for 8 years when he wasn't picked by Lucia? Minnesota has had more coaching stability than most. Like I said, I don't expect to read pro Minnesota stuff here. I do expect you to have some back up to saying someone is self-serving, self-promoting and an ass. By no means does he walk on water or live without faults, you are way off base on Lucia. IMHO.

Fair enough GG33. Not everyone is going to like everyone. I have seen Lucia speak at a couple of events over the last number of years, and have asked a question or two, respectfully, from the crowd. I do not know how much time he spends with the youth leagues. I am a bit put off by his arrogance, whether real or perceived. When I went back to check my notes, I realized that I was probably thinking about the Gophers last football coach, Glen Mason, when I was dishing the selfish dish. I have been fairly taken to the woodshed and will accept my lickin'. I wish Don all the best on the health front.

Beyond that, from his public personna, I don't like the guy. I will leave it at that. Maybe it is the way that he whistles his line changes . . . .