SiouxSports.com Forum

Battle For Redemption: Sioux vs Huskies

brianvf

At least the Vikings won for those of you who are Vikings fans? :sad:???

Those 7 days are going to be expensive, I just bought tickets for the game against Philly plus the GOPHERS/sioux game

That is great victory now we are stuck with that horrible coach and that ridiculous quarterback that talks like he has a box of rocks in his mouth.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Detroit. I didn't even feel like sticking around for the title game after the stinkers the Sioux put up this weekend. I will say that the boys play hard and give it all they've got. Unfortunately, this group of players just aren't as talented as those we've seen in the past. That's not to say all the players are terrible, some are very good, but there just aren't any great players wearing Sioux jerseys this year and they don't play well as a team period. That could change for some guys next year, but I'm not interested in potential for 2009-10 in the middle of this current season. A few other points:

*Eidsness gives us the best chance to win, so retract the fangs those of you with golden Brad shrines, but man does he need to work on giving up rebounds if he ever wants to be a great goalie. Several MSU fans commented to me after the game about this. He's a good goalie who can make every save, but no goalie can make 2-3 great saves per possession and expect to win consistently. That said, 2 goals per game should get you at least 1 victory.

*UND is going to miss Finley next year more than most want to admit. He logged a lot of ice time this weekend, and quite frankly, LaPointe is terrible. If the identity of our hockey team is going to be defensive minded, the young guys on the blue line had better step up.

*Whether you're an all-timer like Toews or a gritty, scrapper like Porter, if you're playing Division 1 hockey at a program like North Dakota, I would expect you can put a pass on your teammate's tape at least once a freakin game. UND just might be the worst passing team in the history of hockey. This team is never going to score unless it can make a play at least occasionally in the neutral zone. UND can't score because we're either dumping and chasing or carrying the puck into the zone with 5 opponents surrounding the net.

Then stop attacking people.

Maybe everyone on here shoould stop attacking the players, the coaches, the other posters. etc. ttyhhh I have been reading this for days about how we don't have any "blue chippers", we don't have anyone who can score, we don'e have any defense. Crap maybe we should be thankful for what we do have. A great bunch of boys who work their butts off to try and play hockey at this elite level as well as completet a university degree at the same time. It's not easy to try and balance all your school work and practice daily and go on road trips and have to miss classes right before your exams. I know some jerlkwill come on here and criticize me for siding with the players. but I'd Love to see some of you so called fans try and balance everything.

Now I'm sure wwhen the boys turn the corner and get back on the winning streak most of you bozo's who have been jumping ship will all say ""THAT'S OUR BOYS!! THAT"S HOW FIGHTING SIOUX PLAY"

Meantime if you can't say somehting constructive then don't say anything at all.

Maybe everyone on here shoould stop attacking the players, the coaches, the other posters. etc. ttyhhh I have been reading this for days about how we don't have any "blue chippers", we don't have anyone who can score, we don'e have any defense. Crap maybe we should be thankful for what we do have. A great bunch of boys who work their butts off to try and play hockey at this elite level as well as completet a university degree at the same time. It's not easy to try and balance all your school work and practice daily and go on road trips and have to miss classes right before your exams. I know some jerlkwill come on here and criticize me for siding with the players. but I'd Love to see some of you so called fans try and balance everything.

Now I'm sure wwhen the boys turn the corner and get back on the winning streak most of you bozo's who have been jumping ship will all say ""THAT'S OUR BOYS!! THAT"S HOW FIGHTING SIOUX PLAY"

Meantime if you can't say somehting constructive then don't say anything at all.

Well said, #1fan. Well said.

Michigan leads Michigan State 4-1 after two periods. Why isn't Jeff Lerg "the difference" tonight? I think we all know the answer to that question. :sad:

I was at the GLI this weekend and I think Redwing 77 was correct when he earlier mentioned Lerg as one of the keys to beating MSU. While the Sioux seemingly "sucked" in a lot of areas, they couldn't seem to get past Lerg.

He's the only reason (as far as I what I watched tonight) MSU kept it to 5 - 1. When I left with 7 minutes left in the title game, UM already had 45+ SOG. MSU's defense let Lerg down a number of times.

Forget the "hot goalie" cliche, but Lerg was key for MSU.

Now with all of the other problems the Sioux are having...

someone explain why that wasn't a goal in the shootout for the badger game? What a crock!

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. I was hoping I wasn't the only one that watched the game, or at least the shoot-out.

My only explanation for the no-goal call: Shepherd!

In all seriousness, you could tell it was a goal without looking at it from the over head view. I can't imagine what the over head view would have showed B. Shepherd and Anderson.

The explanation he was giving the Lake Superior State coaches must have been enlightening to hear I bet. The coaches for Lake Superior State are now thankful they are not in our league with our incompetent officials.

someone explain why that wasn't a goal in the shootout for the badger game? What a crock!

Home cooking?

It certainly was over the line after it fell from Connelly's glove.

Connelly must feel good, as he got beat on all three LSSU shootout attempts, but yet none of them counted. :sad:

Home cooking?

Connelly must feel good, as he got beat on all three LSSU shootout attempts, but yet none of them counted. :sad:

I know right! I wouldn't doubt if they look at it again and award LSSU the trophy. What a joke!

I was at the GLI this weekend and I think Redwing 77 was correct when he earlier mentioned Lerg as one of the keys to beating MSU. While the Sioux seemingly "sucked" in a lot of areas, they couldn't seem to get past Lerg.

He's the only reason (as far as I what I watched tonight) MSU kept it to 5 - 1. When I left with 7 minutes left in the title game, UM already had 45+ SOG. MSU's defense let Lerg down a number of times.

Forget the "hot goalie" cliche, but Lerg was key for MSU.

Now with all of the other problems the Sioux are having...

Then why didn't the Spartans "steal" the GLI title tonight? Because the Wolverines have the players up-front who can create and take advantage of scoring opportunities and we (for whatever reason) don't seem to. Michigan outscored both Michigan Tech and Michigan State by a combined 10-1 this weekend. I can't stand the Wolverines, but they showed all of us how to get it done against teams you are supposed to beat. At the midpoint of this season, we still haven't figured that out.

I am not suggesting that we capitalize on every single scoring chance (that's not realistic), but I do expect that we can and should beat two mediocre teams that are not going anywhere, regardless of how good the goaltending is. A couple of weeks ago, Denver lit up Tech in back-to-back games. That is what good teams do when they are playing mediocre teams. Forget Hak's coachspeak in the Heraldo this morning; Michigan State is NOT "a good team" and neither is Michigan Tech.

A lot of teams in our conference have good goaltenders and good lineups to go along with them. What kind of chance do we have in the second half if we "can't seem to get past (insert name of opposing goaltender)"? The answer is obvious, slim and none and I think slim is on vacation in March and April. And our team will be on vacation during those months because I don't think we'll be playing hockey.

End rant.

Then why didn't the Spartans "steal" the GLI title tonight? Because the Wolverines have the players up-front who can create and take advantage of scoring opportunities and we (for whatever reason) don't seem to. Michigan outscored both Michigan Tech and Michigan State by a combined 10-1 this weekend. I can't stand the Wolverines, but they showed all of us how to get it done against teams you are supposed to beat. At the midpoint of this season, we still haven't figured that out.

I am not suggesting that we capitalize on every single scoring chance (that's not realistic), but I do expect that we can and should beat two mediocre teams that are not going anywhere, regardless of how good the goaltending is. A couple of weeks ago, Denver lit up Tech in back-to-back games. That is what good teams do when they are playing mediocre teams. Forget Hak's coachspeak in the Heraldo this morning; Michigan State is NOT "a good team" and neither is Michigan Tech.

A lot of teams in our conference have good goaltenders and good lineups to go along with them. What kind of chance do we have in the second half if we "can't seem to get past (insert name of opposing goaltender)"? The answer is obvious, slim and none and I think slim is on vacation in March and April. And our team will be on vacation during those months because I don't think we'll be playing hockey.

End rant.

Can't disagree with what you're saying at all. The reason the Spartans didn't "steal" the GLI tonight was... drum roll please... they suck. So does MTU and we might want to add the Sioux to that list for this weekend. But... a big reason MSU beat UND and MSU "held" UM to "only" five goals was because of Lerg. He's their "team" in my opinion.

You're absolutely right, Michigan showed everyone tonight that the other three teams at the tournament how to get it done this weekend. Let's see if the Sioux learned anything.

I think that it's painful obvious that the Sioux do not play well against defensive minded teams... especially after falling behind a goal. Teams that clog the neutral and defensive zones are something that we have yet to figure out. If it's a fast paced, high offense game, then the Sioux will do just fine... but until we figure out how to beat a defensive minded team it's not gonna go well...

The crappy part is that I don't think we will have the PWR to make the tourney. We are going to have to win the Final Five. A sweep against BSU is a must to try and get our PWR up.

Check out my post, Swept at the GLI -- How harmful to PWR? for my attempt to quantify the damage. Though the PairWise Predictor isn't finished and ready for public consumption yet, I think the results are good enough to post in aggregate like that.

So you say there is a chance? :sad:

Though the GLI made it a LOT harder, quite a few chances ??? About 1/6 of all possible remaining outcomes land the Sioux in the top 15 of PWR. It's clearly within UND's own destiny to determine if it lands in that sixth. Then there's always the conference tournament... If UND can turn it around in '09, I'll see them in D.C.

Home cooking?

I know right! I wouldn't doubt if they look at it again and award LSSU the trophy. What a joke!

Not that it pertains to the Sioux game at all, but just another example of our league in "great" light in the Wisconsin game:

Wis. Recap

"To make doubly sure it was a goal, Shepherd went to check the video replay, only to find out that the replay officials had turned off the system after the overtime period, thinking the game had concluded."

How hard is it to turn the "system" back on?

Though the GLI made it a LOT harder, quite a few chances :sad: About 1/6 of all possible remaining outcomes land the Sioux in the top 15 of PWR. It's clearly within UND's own destiny to determine if it lands in that sixth. Then there's always the conference tournament... If UND can turn it around in '09, I'll see them in D.C.

being you're the rpi and pairwise guru(sp) I've been saying that a lengthy unbeaten streak will be needed to turn this ship around. in your runs did you put together a 10 or 12 game unbeaten streak during jan-feb and if so would it have made any difference?

being you're the rpi and pairwise guru(sp) I've been saying that a lengthy unbeaten streak will be needed to turn this ship around. in your runs did you put together a 10 or 12 game unbeaten streak during jan-feb and if so would it have made any difference?

It would make some differnce. I think the point is its going to be harder based on the hole they dug themselves.

It will be interesting. Every game will now be a playoff game.